Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WREG: Bill could ban cold beer sales in Tennessee

Cooked Crack

51 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Allegedly, you can chill a can of beer in about 30 seconds using a can of compressed air. 

Compressed air cans sprayed upside-down is cold.  Was at the aftermath of a party one morning where somebody got sprayed by an upside-down can but was too hungover to wipe it off and wound up with some frostbite.

I think this is just banning the sale of cold beer in retail stores, not restaurants.  One of the articles posted had an update

"UPDATE Feb. 16: According to Rep. Ron Grant, the bill will not prohibit the sale of cold beer. “I am not going to infringe on the constitutional rights and civil liberties of honest law-abiding citizens and be unfair to certain businesses and both others,” Grant told our sister station WKRN."

Granted, it's still a stupid bill and probably won't have much impact at all.  If someone is addicted enough to need to drive around drunk while drinking cold beer, they will still do it.  Buy a case of warm beer, go home, put in the fridge (or freezer), then put cold beer in car and drive around.  

Ok hate to play devils advocate, but I can see some of the logic of this

Don't get me wrong - I do drink occasionally and I'm actually in favor of decriminalization of most drugs.  OTOH its not like I want it to be available at 7-11.  Well I guess the question would then follow - what makes EtOH so special?  And there really isn't a good logical argument for it, its entirely cultural. 

So like with guns/drugs/cigarettes with time/place manner restrictions.  Perhaps allow communities to set their own standards.

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

And I know how to chill a beer within 10 minutes (bar trick, some others may know).

I can wait if need be. 

Give it to the hottest girl in the bar and have the ugliest guy in the bar hit on her then have the girl touch the beer.

48 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Where's the evidence to show most people getting DUI's in that state are getting drunk on cold beer?

Show me that and you got my attention...

US alcohol consumption by type is about 46% beer.  Not sure about Tennessee.  But it would seem the DUIs (alcohol related) would probably follow from that.

I wouldn't be surprised if was higher for beer because its generally more available than liquor.

• Thumb up 2

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Didn't these people know about our two amendments to the Constitution specifically addressing prohibition? They must not teach that in school.

Those in Tenn only go to the 6th grade

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

US alcohol consumption by type is about 46% beer.  Not sure about Tennessee.  But it would seem the DUIs (alcohol related) would probably follow from that.

I wouldn't be surprised if was higher for beer because its generally more available than liquor.

That's line of thinking I was looking for.

It's easy to call this bill stupid, and probably isn't rooted in the level of diligence necessary to get the results that are worth it.

But they still have a problem, and better we understand the problem, better we can more efficiently address it.

Tennessee is not the only state with people getting killed by drunk drivers, we just all used to it at this point. We are terrifyingly close, if not already there, with guns and mass shootings. My initial reaction to this bill wasn't not necessarily laughter but a question on if that was potential desperation.

Again, I'm listening...this might or be the solution, but doesn't change that there's still a problem.  So, what do we do?

37 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Again, I'm listening...this might or be the solution, but doesn't change that there's still a problem.  So, what do we do?

True driverless cars would fix the problem.  Of course, they're always "five years away". 

On the one hand I can see the logic behind: no cold beer available -> fewer people drinking then driving 

on the other that’s seems like a serious economic impact to a lot of people, that while I’m sure you could handle, I’m sure they aren’t handling at all with this idea as is

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if was higher for beer because it’s generally more available than liquor.

Well. Just going to guess…

beer drinking probably skews younger

beer drinking probably skews towards binge drinking/partying

And when you add it all up, drunk driving probably skews towards beer drinking and being younger

I feel like that lines up with my observations in life 

willing to bet wine and liquor have a higher ratio of 1-2 drinks with dinner/business socializing and such, than beer. 

we did wine day drinking in college though. Random Saturdays we’d just wake up and drink wine all day and night. That was by far the one that brought the most chicks to the event 

The most interesting solution to me is interlock every vehicle. 

it’s interesting to me because it’s a small ask. Register your bac before driving. Yet I find people universally hate the idea. I can’t imagine it ever getting serious support. But it seems like the most obvious, not infringing on anyone’s anything, idea that would take the biggest bite out of the problem (people will find workarounds - but if you kill 70% of it that’s a huge win)

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Well. Just going to guess…

beer drinking probably skews younger

beer drinking probably skews towards binge drinking/partying

And when you add it all up, drunk driving probably skews towards beer drinking and being younger

I feel like that lines up with my observations in life 

willing to bet wine and liquor have a higher ratio of 1-2 drinks with dinner/business socializing and such, than beer. 

we did wine day drinking in college though. Random Saturdays we’d just wake up and drink wine all day and night. That was by far the one that brought the most chicks to the event 

The most interesting solution to me is interlock every vehicle. 

it’s interesting to me because it’s a small ask. Register your bac before driving. Yet I find people universally hate the idea. I can’t imagine it ever getting serious support. But it seems like the most obvious, not infringing on anyone’s anything, idea that would take the biggest bite out of the problem (people will find workarounds - but if you kill 70% of it that’s a huge win)

Yeah and I mean ride shares have been around for over 10 years now so if you really want to go out and wasted, don't drive.  If you can afford drinking you can afford an Uber/Lyft

That’s one thing I’m not sure of. I quit going out to bars before those became popular and even today they’re not readily available where I live. 

id like to think they’ve put a huge dent in it. Not sure if they have. 

36 minutes ago, tshile said:

That’s one thing I’m not sure of. I quit going out to bars before those became popular and even today they’re not readily available where I live. 

id like to think they’ve put a huge dent in it. Not sure if they have. 

Stats aren't exactly easy to pull for all years, but from what I could find in the US in 2012 there were 10,322 fatalities due to drunk/impaired driving and 13,384 in 2022, both according to NHTSA.  

So the answer is most likely, no.

I suppose this makes sense.  The perpetrators are probably people who drink habitually so much (i.e. alcoholics) they aren't going to bother with ride shares. vs. the people who go out at most few times a month.

But I would note, it decreased heavily from its peak in the 70s/80s, where they were closer to 20k per year.  And this was with a smaller population.  Car safety tech may have been partially responsible, because all fatalities went down, not just due to alcohol impaired crashes

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Didn't these people know about our two amendments to the Constitution specifically addressing prohibition? They must not teach that in school.

Recall reading about a trial.  The jury was deliberating, and they sent a note to the judge:  

Since in 1929, it took a Constitutional Amendment to give the federal government the authority to ban alcohol, therefore where is the constitutional authority for a federal ban on cocaine?  

The judge demanded to know which juror had asked the question, and kicked him off the jury.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1