Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: George Carlin is coming back to life in new AI-generated comedy special

Cooked Crack

George Carlin died over 15 years ago, but a new artificial intelligence-generated comedy special is bringing the legend back to life. 

The AI icon is true to form with an inflammatory set featuring opinions on Trump, trans Americans, reality TV and tech. The hourlong comedy special from Dudesy features an AI spin on Carlin's takes on current events. Dudesy is an AI comedy platform from Mad TV alum Will Sasso and podcaster Chad Kultgen.

"For the next hour I'll be doing my best George Carlin impersonation just like a human being would. I tried to capture his iconic style to tackle the topics I think the comedy legend would be talking about today," a YouTube description written by AI reads. 

It's unclear if Carlin's family is involved in the project. USA TODAY reached out to representatives for Carlin's estate for comment. 

During the stand-up special, Dudesy clarifies that Dudesy's recreation is not the real Carlin and the content was created in the same way a human impressionist would.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/2024/01/10/george-carlin-ai-comedy-special/72174280007/

• Thumb down 3

I love George Carlin.  I sometimes wonder what he'd have to say about the state of the world today.  Him and Sam Kinison.  

But they're both dead and gone.  And they'd both probably have some harsh words for whoever's idea this was.  It's almost like the jokes write themselves in this particular case, I don't think this is something Carlin would agree with but whatever.  Dollars to be made.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I heard that Ix is not a real person, but instead is an AI-generated forum member based on Puck from MTV’s Real World season 2.

watch your peanut butter around him then

Edited by RabidFan
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I have started to produce content with AI, specifically vocals.  I did generate sample voices from real people, but it would certainly be unethical for me to name them -- I think it is as legal as voice impersonation -- BUT I am not misrepresenting their names.  Just using their voices to voice characters on my comtent.  

I don't know if this guy is advertising this as a George Carlin special... maybe he adds in "George Carlin-like".  There are boundary cases.  What about NFL highlights with Madden and Summerall cloned voices? 

Certainly if he is advertising with Carlins Name, Image or Likeness -- Carlin's family should get paid.

Now to go answer all those questions by rtfo....

As a huge fan of George Carlin (even have his box set of his specials and interviews), I can just about assure anyone that he'd be against this bull****. He had an innate ability to mix comedy and real world issues like no other, IMO. AI could never replicate that.

In Carlin's words, it's bad for ya.

HTTR!

• Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

It's her right to involve lawyers and she absolutely should.  

But I think Carlin would hate that, too.  I think he'd prefer to sit back and criticize the whole thing.

That said, of course he's not here to do that.  So I hope his daughter lawyers up and stops it from happening.

This thing is free on Youtube. I watched about 10 minutes.  He makes it clear that he is not George Carlin, but think of him like Andy Kaufmann doing Elvis or Will Ferrall doing George W. Bush.  

Diet Carlin. 

But I think this would not be "fair use".  If he didn't use George Carlin's name, he is just a copycat.  Everyone forgets that "Weird Al" has some parody (but he gets permission too).  This guy is billing it as George Carlin* , but no asterix.

• 2 weeks later...

Now with Federal lawsuit!!

https://arstechnica.com/ai/2024/01/george-carlins-heirs-sue-comedy-podcast-over-ai-generated-impression/

Name, image, likeness is certainly a slam dunk case.  Training an AI to speak like George Carlin is more nebulous.  NYT lawsuit is already going down that path.

Some of the Google copyright stuff was ruled legal as a novel use, so I actually think that the voice training my be novel, unique enough and allowed.  Copyright law is weird like that.  

Years ago, I thought the service the pulled in an over the air signal and transmitted it out to people who were not in line of sight to the antenna (but technically still within range) over the internet should have been "not infringement" -- even if they controlled 1 antenna per user.  And I thought what Google was doing to scan in all sorts of newspapers and books over the Internet and make it searchable should have been "infringement".  Those cases turned out the opposite.