Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders @ The Jets ~ The One Where One Gets Grounded

zCommander

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:
1 hour ago, lovemaskins said:

There is statistical evidence that winning 5 games rather than 4 is going to lead to success?

Well, don't hold back, I'm sure we would all love to see it!

Beat me to it.

What’s wild is even Doc Walker is rooting for valiant effort losses.  There’s nothing honorable about winning games that don’t equate to the playoffs for a team in our scenario.

If we were in the first year of a new regime, that had honorably lost games to be out of the playoff hunt, but they start playing together towards the end of a season- there’s value in that.  Particularly when there’s been mass turnover and a bunch of new and younger guys playing in a new system.

But this…

There is a complete overhaul and fumigation that is about to take place.  There is no continuity benefit at all here.  The only QB worth playing is broken, at least for now.  There is everything to be gained by losing.

• Thanks 4
  • Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

The D has improved since JDR's departure; we spotted them some points and only really yielded 13. We do have some good pieces and that side of the ball. We also have good pieces on O; the big question is QB. I don't know if the answer is on the roster.

Im sorry but i have to disagree...the D has been just as bad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, PolarExpress said:

You know our season is over right?!?!

Also, you say he’s trying to be “right”, but you type a dissertation on why you are right every time someone explains why they feel the way they do.  Have an eggnog and Merry Christmas!

He said he was on the side of “right.” Folks are trying to persuade me and the argument is weak.  I respect their perspective but it seems the folk counter to I.e. rooting for wins, are “morons.” So I decided to take on the “pro” which is ruffling some feathers because I’m attacking your fandom.  I do this for this for a living, I rather enjoy it. Eggnog not my thing but I have a double oak bourbon on ice watching Elf on Christmas Eve while my family is prepping dinner in the kitchen. I’m blessed beyond belief. 

2 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

He said he was on the side of “right.” Folks are trying to persuade me and the argument is weak.  I respect their perspective but it seems the folk counter to I.e. rooting for wins, are “morons.” So I decided to take on the “pro” which is ruffling some feathers because I’m attacking your fandom.  I do this for this for a living, I rather enjoy it. Eggnog not my thing but I have a double oak bourbon on ice watching Elf on Christmas Eve while my family is prepping dinner in the kitchen. I’m blessed beyond belief. 

Yes, you are blessed.  My spouse died recently of cancer.  Enjoy your games.

• Sad 12

Kind of a sidebar but fitting here, I wasn’t devastated by beating Dallas week18 last season.  It was encouraging to see Sam play well, which provided some level of continuity benefit, and it’s the Cowboys - so it wasn’t all bad.

But this time, there’s simply no value in winning a game and diminishing the asset that is our draft position.

Speaking of draft position, quarterbacks and lame duck regimes…

There is no value for this Patriots squad and Bailey Zappe pulling off this thriller in Denver.

Unless you’re the Washington Commanders.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, PolarExpress said:

Yes, you are blessed.  My spouse died recently of cancer.  Enjoy your games.

Man, sorry hear that, we’ll be praying for you.  My older cousin, like a big sis, lost her husband to brain cancer like 6 weeks ago. He was 62, too young it feels like.  Been on my mind a bunch.  Good man too.

• Sad 1

Oh, we should all be rooting for these culture changing wins. They are invaluable.

Even tho a ton of the players on the roster now are not gonna be here much longer...

And the coaching staff is about to flip over...

And the FO is about to be run by new people...

and there is no hope of going to the playoffs...

Getting some feel good tingling in the toes for the current staff means nothing when they are all on out out. Our draft slotting on the other hand is very impactful.

Every fan can watch the game however they want, but there is no way you can believe Rivy getting a dub after he has benched the one player who was being platformed as a possible future asset has some kind of positive long term impact on the franchise.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

A draft pick doesn’t necessarily mean long term success. But a meaningless win against the Jets most definitely doesn’t. 

The win we got in the Chase Young/Joe Burrow derby didn’t really help us much long term, either. We won, we got Young and now we’ve traded him for a third and we’re 4-11.

That didn’t help team success.

The bottom line is that many of us feel that meaningless wins are worthless. And any win down the stretch is absolutely meaningless. 

Agree.

And to each their own of course for fans who feel differently.

I thought of all people Clinton Portis nailed it to some degree when asked about this teams struggles for eons.  He goes they never sucked in the right season where they have a high draft pick and can get a Qb in a year that's touted as a big year for QBs.

Now personally, I think the #1 reasons why this team has sucked and by a mile is Dan Snyder.

There are some who cover and follow this team who are obsessed with getting a high pick -- Paulsen, Rouhier, Sheehan, Galdi, Finlay.  And then there are some who feel yawn -- Brian Mitchell, Doc.   Keim is somewhat in the middle but he thinks there is more value to winning than losing but he hedged on that point in his latest podcast.

For those who yawn at it who cover the team the one thing they say that drives me nuts because what they say isn't true.  But in their defense they probably don't bother to look it up is the idea that picking really high is very familiar for this team, been there and done that like a million times.  I was listening to Keim's podcast last night and he references Chris Samuel.  And I was thinking dude that was forever ago. 

Samuel was 24 years ago.  Then he referenced RG3 and heck they didn't have the #2 pick, they traded the world to move up to it.   Then it was Chase Young.  That's it.     We picked 5th twice and got Sean Tayor and Brandon Scheriff.

For as bad as the run has been here we don't pick top 5 often.   And its not like its been a disaster when we have.  Scheriff is the lone All Pro during Dan's era.  Sean (RIP) was a transcedent player.  RG3 gave us the best season under Dan.  Chase was Rookie of the Year then got hurt and has never been the same.   Chris Samuel was a long term pro bowler LT.  Lavarr from that same draft had some good seasons.

My point is for how bad this team has been in the last about 25 years or so we rarely partake in the top 5 dance.  And we have its been far from yawn.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.

And to each their own of course for fans who feel differently.

I thought of all people Clinton Portis nailed it to some degree when asked about this teams struggles for eons.  He goes they never sucked in the right season where they have a high draft pick and can get a Qb in a year that's touted as a big year for QBs.

Now personally, I think the #1 reasons why this team has sucked and by a mile is Dan Snyder.

There are some who cover and follow this team who are obsessed with getting a high pick -- Paulsen, Rouhier, Sheehan, Galdi, Finlay.  And then there are some who feel yawn -- Brian Mitchell, Doc.   Keim is somewhat in the middle but he thinks there is more value to winning than losing but he hedged on that point in his latest podcast.

For those who yawn at it who cover the team the one thing they say that drives me nuts because what they say isn't true.  But in their defense they probably don't bother to look it up is the idea that picking really high is very familiar for this team, been there and done that like a million times.  I was listening to Keim's podcast last night and he references Chris Samuel.  And I was thinking dude that was forever ago. 

Samuel was 24 years ago.  Then he referenced RG3 and heck they didn't have the #2 pick, they traded the world to move up to it.   Then it was Chase Young.  That's it.     We picked 5th twice and got Sean Tayor and Brandon Scheriff.

For as bad as the run has been here we don't pick top 5 often.   And its not like its been a disaster when we have.  Scheriff is the lone All Pro during Dan's era.  Sean (RIP) was a transcedent player.  RG3 gave us the best season under Dan.  Chase was Rookie of the Year then got hurt and has never been the same.   Chris Samuel was a long term pro bowler LT.  Lavarr from that same draft had some good seasons.

My point is for how bad this team has been in the last about 25 years or so we rarely partake in the top 5 dance.  And we have its been far from yawn.

Trent at 4, also

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lovemaskins said:

Ice??? 

Everything about you is a lie lol 

• Confused 1

You can tell that Howell is no longer comfortable in the pocket. There was a time when he would stand there, throw the ball and then get clobbered. Now he bails even when he doesn't need to. Brissett stayed in the pocket for the most part and delivered the ball. Howell's confidence is shot. I blame RR for that. He should have made changes to the OL earlier in the season when Howell was getting killed back there.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

You can tell the Howell is no longer comfortable in the pocket. There was a time when he would stand there, throw the ball and then get clobbered. Now he bails even when he doesn't need to. Brissett stayed in the pocket for the most part and delivered the ball. Howell's confidence is shot. I blame RR for that. He should have made changes to the OL earlier in the season when Howell was getting killed back there.

It’s a worse OL with Lucas at LT, Scott at RT and Gates at C that Brissett was behind. The issue is more that Sam’s indecision and slower processing ability from his UNC days is the major red flag issue he needs to overcome in the NFL. 

Ron did a crap job building the OL but, as many have pointed out, this might be the weakest the league has been with OL play in general and is probably the biggest reason offense is down.

Sam needs a lot to hit his ceiling but an elite OL like the one Hurts has in Philly is right now #1 and that is very hard to build in today’s day and age. 

If Sam can go be a backup in one scheme for a while and absolutely master it, he will then have all the answers to overcome the slower processing ability to potentially hit his ceiling as an above average starter down the road

When the playoff opportunity fades, shift support to the team’s draft pick prospects. To genuinely support players when playoffs are out of reach, research their contract incentives and rally behind those goals as they become their new focus. 

Terry Bradshaw literally just said tommy cutlets earned a shot to be the starter next year. They will literally push anyone that has a nice story. Every year the league becomes more entertainment based. I wonder if the reason Howell was being pushed so hard by the media is because ron said he was him and hitched his legacy to Sam? Ron is a national media darling. I'm worried that we get all the calls in a meaningless game against the cowboys just so ron doesn't retire with a losing record.