Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FK: Can American Democracy Survive the Age of Oligarchs?

China

Can American Democracy Survive the Age of Oligarchs?

Oligarchy is always a transitional system, typically a mere way station in the shift from democracy to fascism or some other form of authoritarianism.

Many of America’s oligarchs—the people whose great wealth and/or ownership of media properties gives them tremendous influence over our politics—believe they’re arguing for policies that will produce a “better” America. Or at least an America that’s better and safer for oligarchs and their families and businesses.

Tragically, they’re wrong. Their support for GOP-aligned racist, “free market deregulation,” and climate denial policies are tearing America apart and will threaten their grandchildren every bit as much as they do yours and mine.

Nonetheless, in America and increasingly around the world, oligarchs taking over the political dialogues of nations are all the rage. From America to Turkey to Russia to the Philippines, oligarchs have either risen to near-absolute power or bought off so many politicians that they have effective control of entire political parties and thus entire nations.

Increasingly, America’s oligarch problem has become the world’s oligarchy problem, as country after country follows the GOP’s example and sidelines labor rights, women’s rights, voting rights, and democracy itself.

When the Constitution was being written there were multiple debates about how to prevent our republic from turning into a dictatorship or an oligarchy. Thomas Jefferson was worried about too much power being invested in the president; John Adams was concerned that wealthy oligarchs would either get themselves elected to the senate or simply purchase senators for their own ends.

While Jefferson was still the US envoy to France and living in Paris, just after the Constitution had been written but a year before it would be ratified, Adams wrote him on December 6, 1778 that:

“You are afraid of the one—I, of the few. We agree perfectly that the many should have a full fair and perfect Representation.—You are Apprehensive of Monarchy; I, of Aristocracy.”

Today we have both.

Donald Trump was both an oligarch and very much wanted and tried to become America’s first Caesar, an emperor with unlimited power who would hold his office for life. At the same time, because of the corrupt Citizens United decision by 5 Republicans on the Court, both the Senate, House, and much of America’s media are very much under the control of our nation’s rightwing oligarchs.

It’s a phenomenon that’s popping up worldwide. In a new book, The Oligarch’s Grip, authors David Lingelbach and Valentina Rodríguez Guerra take the definition of “oligarch” beyond the common understanding of a person who’s morbidly rich.

In a review of the book for The Financial Times, Simon Kuper writes:

“The book distinguishes various types of oligarchs. ‘Business oligarchs’ like Musk turn wealth into political power, while ‘political oligarchs’ go the other way. A classic example of the latter, says the book, is Vladimir Putin, ‘a billionaire with nuclear weapons’. Oligarch presidents have decision-making power, oligarch influencers such as Rupert Murdoch, Charles Koch and George Soros set agendas, while platform owners such as Musk, Mark Zuckerberg and Google’s Larry Page have rewired the information streams that flow into our brains.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thanks 1

I also look forward to this thread discussing whether Trump actually qualifies as an oligarch given that his actual net worth has always been suspect (do oligarchs declare multiple bankruptcies?) and he more fits the mold of a media personality gaining political power (like Mussolini).

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, resolution said:

I consider myself independent because I think both parties are corrupt. It is interesting how nobody has a problem with people like George Soros, a huge supporter of the DNC. People can not get over Trump.

I agree. It is interesting. I did a google search on Mr. Soros and didn’t find one negative thing written about him. Not one. It is interesting.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, resolution said:

I wonder why there are no negative articles written about him.🤔

I did see this one where this guy said that:

“In my opinion, [Soros] fundamentally hates humanity. He’s doing things that erode the fabric of civilization.”

It was from this business guy from South Africa on some little podcast. I think it is called Jon Rogan or maybe Joe Rogan. Anyway, yeah, it probably doesn’t have much reach anyway.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I did see this one where this guy said that:

“In my opinion, [Soros] fundamentally hates humanity. He’s doing things that erode the fabric of civilization.”

It was from this business guy from South Africa on some little podcast. I think it is called Jon Rogan or maybe Joe Rogan. Anyway, yeah, it probably doesn’t have much reach anyway.

Yea, Elon Musk (use to be a liberal) said it on Joe Rogan (Bernie fan). I guess people hate Musk now, not that I care. Anyway, there is a 60-minute interview where Soros refers to himself as a god. This isn't the only problem with what's going on in my opinion. Companies like Blackrock, State Street, and Vanguard probably aren't good either. They have huge investments in S&P 500 companies, controlling them to extent. Goin back to the topic thread about Oligarchs

11 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I agree. It is interesting. I did a google search on Mr. Soros and didn’t find one negative thing written about him. Not one. It is interesting.

That's amazing.  The only people I ever see even mention him are people trying to play "both sides", as a way of trying to defend obvious evil.  

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, resolution said:

I consider myself independent because I think both parties are corrupt. It is interesting how nobody has a problem with people like George Soros, a huge supporter of the DNC. People can not get over Trump.

You should take it to the George Soros thread.

People can not get over it because he’s one of the largest criminals this country has seen. he is also still running for president.

As soon as he shuts up, does his time or pays his fines and steps down from his run, everyone else will do the same.

As long as he’s a danger to this country, you will hear about him.

Edit: I thought I was in the Trump thread😂

anyways, **** Elon. He should go back to where he came from

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Haha 2

In 2010, American billionaires spent a mere $31 million on elections. Buckley and Bellotti notwithstanding, there were still substantial limits on dark money and big money in politics. But that was the year the Court handed down their Citizens United decision.

That number jumped to $231 million in the 2012 and 2014 elections, and over $600 million for both 2016 and 2018.  The blowout came in 2020, when Trump was running for re-election and there was a very real chance the billionaires could seize complete control of the federal government.  They spent a total of $2,362,000,000 in that election, with $1.2 billion of it going to elect conventional politicians who would then be beholden to their patrons.

I arrived at the article/Substack skeptical. Then I read the above quote.

2 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

You should take it to the George Soros thread.

People can not get over it because he’s one of the largest criminals this country has seen. he is also still running for president.

As soon as he shuts up, does his time or pays his fines and steps down from his run, everyone else will do the same.

As long as he’s a danger to this country, you will hear about him.

Edit: I thought I was in the Trump thread😂

anyways, **** Elon. He should go back to where he came from

5-intellect.gif.ba3e0442aab8111060b5d52f12423de2.gif

• Haha 3