Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

10 hours ago, Redwards said:

That's completely fair.   And in no way have I ever disagreed with that sentiment.  And I would never judge an OC until he's had a chance to prove himself.  I certainly apologize if I erroneously took your post personally.  

I guess I'm a bit touchy tonight because I've raised, what I feel (and many, many fans and analysts including John Keim) are legit concerns - NOT panic - over Kliff's worriesome history with regard to the sustainability of his offense over the course of a season, whether it be in college or the pros.  But those legit concerns have been repeatedly decreed to be utter panic on my part, which couldn't be further from the truth.  (Yet, no one seems to be accusing Keim or any of those expressing the exact same concern in the media as being panicked, which is odd.)

I certainly won't put words into anyone's mouth or attempt to speak on their behalf, but in the life I'm living, concern in no way, shape or form equals panic.   Others seem to take a different outlook on that, however.    

Oh, well.  It's certainly not worth quibbling over, especially since we all want this to go in the same positive direction.  I appreciate your reply to my earlier post.  

I’m always concerned about everything until I see it come to fruition.  That goes for every player and coach. 

I just think the personnel and makeup of the team is so incredibly TBD right now, that we aren’t likely to learn much about where Kliff tends to take the offense.  Personnel will really make or break what this team does.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Kind of sad to see that. She did a nice job with Robinson imo.

We really don’t know if the assistant position coaches are good or not imo. There’s literally no way to know, you’re talking about an assistant to an assistant coach, who is learning the ropes. She might’ve been good, and we’re running different blocking schemes and want different things out of our RB’s that she didn’t have experience with. Or she could’ve sucked. We have no idea, unless players have spoken about it publicly and I missed it. If they have, then it might just be a scheme fit thing. Who knows. I said the same thing about Kerrigan when he was up in the air. We don’t have enough access to know whether these folks are good at their jobs without specific reporting or anecdotes from successful players. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

That seems like a great hire and imo greatly contextualizes the risk of the OL coach hire. Lynn will dictate what that dude is teaching based on the run scheme he works with Kliff on installing and meshing with the passing game.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Wow. That’s an impressive hire. 2 former NFL HC on the offensive side. Looks fantastic other than the o line guy but they must know something we don’t. Quinn putting it together well. Lynn also really helped out Herbert his rookie year so another plus. 

• Like 3

Lynn is a good but interesting hire. He's a Shanahan run game guy who is going to have to work with the Air Raid system.

Our offensive scheme, if we can put it all together, could be quite something. But I expect a lot of growing pains early on, particularly with a young QB and an OL that will likely be a work in progress.

• Like 1

Absolutely love the Lynn hire.  I was getting excited about him when reading about potential OCs Ben Johnson may bring in.  A lot of experience, rough stretch as a HC but SD was a competitive team that lost a lot of close games.  After Kliff was hired, I figured we wouldn't be getting Lynn, so this is a great get.  

• Thumb up 1

image.png.2b0bddd04a59070a82aa4ed6c025779d.png

Young kid (34 yrs old), son of a coach, considered a great teacher, innovative, intelligent, and driven. Has future D-coordinater/head coach potential. 

https://www.chargers.com/news/a-conversation-with-chargers-defensive-passing-game-coordinator-secondary-coach-

How would you describe your teaching style?

"I try to be interactive in our meetings, asking a lot of questions, visuals, good examples, bad examples. Try to do a lot more good examples but also learn from other players of other teams across the league, find examples of why we do things the way we do them so they can understand the why of things as you might've heard other coaches talk about.

I definitely believe that when players understand why, it just clicks a lot faster and they can solve problems for you on the field if there's an unscouted look or an unscouted matchup or a favorable matchup.

It doesn't really matter what we know, it's what the players know so as much as we can transfer the knowledge and those teaching points to them, it's the players game, they're going to win the game.

It's just that always trying to pass on information to them visually, get them up in walk-through's and it could be outside of this sport. I use rugby tackling clips to show tackling, we show some basketball clips in some certain things. Anyway to keep them engaged because it can be a long season, a long year, a long OTA phase and some of these guys have been in this system and heard these coaching points over and over again.

So how many different ways can I coach the same thing to keep it fresh. Maybe one guy hears it one way and it doesn't click for a year and then I say it differently another time and now it clicks.

Always striving to have two, three or four ways to teach the same thing."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 1