Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

Oops. I read the original post incorrectly to read to HC/OC/DC has ever been rehired by another organization in the same capacity.

It's kind of ironic that the only HC during the Dan Stink era to ever have a .500 record here was Marty... just goes to show how terrible Dan Snyder is as a person and how Marty really cursed him after that 2001 season.

Edited by Tress Is The Way
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Agreed, MartinC. We all wait for the announcement of QB coach, OL coach and the rest of the O staff.  Whitt has the D staff covered. no problems.  I hope that Quinn and Peters, most especially if Peters has a big say in O staff.  KK was a Quinn hire as we have heard from his mouth, I did in his press conference and in other videos.  He had him written down as an OC to work with.  He hit on Kyle Shanahan.  Shanahan was already known around the league though and schooled by his Dad.  If we can bring in assistants on both sides to prepare our teams for the future if/once we have success and set up a good base to fill holes once coaches are poached from our team, we are good.  That's a BIG IF.  

Offensive staff should be down to Quinn and Kingsbury. Peters should have some input and maybe a veto but its Quinns staff. QB coach and O'line coach are absolutely key hires.

• Like 3

I am ok with Quinn.. will give him the benefit of the doubt and see how things play out...

Kingsburry is an interesting hire.. didnt follow him much but he apparently was a somewhat hot commodity as an OC - I am just excited its not Bienime.

Anyone want to guess as to the timeline for filling out the rest of the staffs on both sides? I imagine it's not quite as pressing as the coordinators, and you still have to wonder about hires from SF after the SB, but I was hoping to see some key people named this week. As others have previously mentioned, we'll all be looking closely at QB coach and OL. 

Further, and you can already see it emerging on the horizon but I have to think that offense will be the hot-button topic come training camp and regular season. Excited about the defense though, we're about to see how much of a difference good coaching makes. 

1 minute ago, sinews said:

Further, and you can already see it emerging on the horizon but I have to think that offense will be the hot-button topic come training camp and regular season. Excited about the defense though, we're about to see how much of a difference good coaching makes. 

The Kingsbury hire doesn't have me all that stoked, like you said the assistants are going to have to play a huge role, but I really think Whitt is going to be very good for us on the defensive side.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

The Kingsbury hire doesn't have me all that stoked

I'm not going crazy or anything, but the fact that Peters came from a divisional rival of the Cardinals gives me a bit of hope for him.  If his offensive scheming was respected by the SF front office, that's a good sign.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

21 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I have slept on this a bit now.

I'm warming to Quinn - not excited still but I think its at least a solid hire and someone who can and will put a solid staff together. We had the worst coaching staff in the league last season the only way is up!! 

I think we are going to have a good defensive staff, massive improvement in last season in that regards when we were just a mess. There is some talent on that D still - getting a staff together who can get players understanding roles and bought into a system in which what the front end and back end are doing complement alone will bring a big improvement. Add a pass rushing DE, legit talent at LB and FS and we should be at worst a mid pack D.

I do have more concerns about the offensive staff. I am not a huge fan of the Kingsbury hire but I guess we could have done a lot worse and Kingsbury does have inside knowledge on both Williams and Maye which should help the draft prep and decision making. Both Williams and Maye have played in systems similar to his as well. Hitting on the QB is obviously key but so is fixing the O'line (needs at least two new quality starters, possibly 3), adding an outside receiver with size, adding a quality 3rd down type back and getting a TE who can stretch a seam and be a threat with the ball in hand. 

All in all we are in better shape now than we were in terms of coaching. There is a LOT of work for Peters to do now in starting to reconstruct this roster.

I’m pretty much aligned with you.  Maybe a touch excited about DQ because of the self-awareness, willingness to adapt, and having a personality that should benefit the culture and relationships w/ players/staff.

There are some things I like about Kingsbury for sure, but I have some serious reservations there too.  Can he marry run/pass?  Can he effectively sequence plays?  Perhaps the broad question (for me) is does he get caught up in the details and perhaps lose some sense of the big picture?  My guess (and it’s not a novel one) is it might come down to - can he surround himself with staff that can help with any of his weaknesses, and will he listen to them?  I’m hopeful, maybe even cautiously optimistic, but my expectations are not very high at the moment.

On a side note, I’m very intrigued by the idea of the oline spacing.  I see the potential for more room for backs and qbs to run, improved sight lines for the qb, and it could make stunts a bit harder to pull off.  OTOH, does it leave more space for blitzers and can our oline manage being on more of an island?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Can he marry run/pass?

He adjusted his Air Raid system to include a pretty good amount of runs while in Arizona, and his playbook included a healthy dose of RPO which can serve as a nice gateway to run/pass synergy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

On a side note, I’m very intrigued by the idea of the oline spacing.  I see the potential for more room for backs and qbs to run, improved sight lines for the qb, and it could make stunts a bit harder to pull off.  OTOH, does it leave more space for blitzers and can our oline manage being on more of an island?

O'line is going to need some serious upgrading to make this work. There will be a lot of 5 blocking 4 (or 5) protections with 5 eligible receivers - have to get much better at RT, LG at a minimum. Hoping Stromberg comes back and locks down C.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

14 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I wouldn't mind getting Griese as our new qb coach.

It's a lateral move though and it would come down to whether Kyle is willing to do a solid for his old drinking buddy, Adam Peters.

I don't think that happens but one of the Kubiak brothers would be good, especially Klint.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I wouldn't mind getting Griese as our new qb coach.

It's a lateral move though and it would come down to whether Kyle is willing to do a solid for his old drinking buddy, Adam Peters.

Maybe get Klay Kubiak. He's the Assistant QB Coach in SF so it'd be a promotion.

I liked the idea of hiring Colt McCoy as QB Coach though.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, FootballZombie said:

He adjusted his Air Raid system to include a pretty good amount of runs while in Arizona, and his playbook included a healthy dose of RPO which can serve as a nice gateway to run/pass synergy.

The run stats were slanted some in AZ by having Murray as QB. He had 800+ rushing yards in 2020 and was over 400 yards in 21 and 22 (when he only played 11 games). He tended to use two backs pretty evenly in terms of share of carries - his backs caught a lot of passes as well.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Maybe get Klay Kubiak. He's the Assistant QB Coach in SF so it'd be a promotion.

I liked the idea of hiring Colt McCoy as QB Coach though.

The QB coach needs to be (ideally) someone familiar with the system Kingsbury is running. Kubiak is a WCO guy - not the ideal fit.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

O'line is going to need some serious upgrading to make this work. There will be a lot of 5 blocking 4 (or 5) protections with 5 eligible receivers - have to get much better at RT, LG at a minimum. Hoping Stromberg comes back and locks down C.

I will be updatin my signature but we need at least two, maybe three.  I can see two early and left OT is a huge need along with RT and a G.  The Oregon OC can play OG too.  :) 

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

The run stats were slanted some in AZ by having Murray as QB. He had 800+ rushing yards in 2020 and was over 400 yards in 21 and 22 (when he only played 11 games). He tended to use two backs pretty evenly in terms of share of carries - his backs caught a lot of passes as well.

The QB coach needs to be (ideally) someone familiar with the system Kingsbury is running. Kubiak is a WCO guy - not the ideal fit.

He can learn Kliff systrem and add his own spice to it.  Again, I hope that Quinn/Peters specify someone young and we build a base here so that if/when we become successful, we have a supply for demand.  That will be awhile.  We are all hoping this tandem of Quinn/Peters makes it happen. 

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Yeah that's a good point. I guess Colt McCoy would be the best fit if he's interested in coaching.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Yeah, I guess I’d say I’m less concerned with “will he run the ball” (ala EB) vs things like “will he run mostly from shotgun?”, “will he mix it up/break tendencies?” and “does he do a good disguising run vs pass?”.  I’m too much of a layman to really be able to qualify my concerns with him, but seems like there’s enough content out there pointing out certain concerns that give me some pause.  To be clear though (in a general sense), there are certainly things I’ve seen/heard that I like, even if I didn’t go into them.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Agreed.  I’m hopeful for Stromberg, though I don’t think they can/should assume he’s more than competition/depth.  if he wins a starting gig, great, I just don’t think they should ignore the position.  

It’s a tricky position to be in - needing to add quality to the starting group as well as depth, but not wanting to squander resources, ie: 1) blocking Stromberg from earning a starting role, 2) spending big on a high end FA that blocks a different promising draft pick, or 3) drafting a guy that winds up as a OL depth over a guy that could be a starter at a different position of need.  And of course, you don’t want to assume the draft will bring in bonafide starters.  

With that said, ‘too much quality’ on the oline isn’t exactly a bad problem to have, lol.

edit:  I think it’s be smart/ideal to land at least one proven or promising guy that has some position flex (either can play both tackle spots or can play G/C)

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 2

https://nypost.com/2024/02/05/sports/adam-schefter-chides-ben-johnson-over-commanders-fallout/amp/

After days of back and forth "anonymous source" leaks, the final verdict on the Ben Johnson vs the "basketball owners" story seems to have coalesced with Schefter's recent take below.

The clear villain of this cautionary tale?

None other than the former (rotten) apple of our eye, the self-centered, enigmatic, golden haired, paragon of indecisiveness, with a fatal commitment phobia to boot--- Mr. Benjamin David Johnson.

THIS VIDEO IS A MUST WATCH. SCHEFTY IS DEFENDING US HARD...

Ben Johnson is entitled to do and stay wherever he wants,” Schefter said. “Where it becomes an issue I think is this, if you know you’re pulling out of that job and you’re withdrawing your name from consideration, all good. No issues. There’s a time to do it. When the Washington ownership group is not in the air on the way to see you in Detroit. … If you know you don’t want that job and you’ve committed to talking to these people, who have spent weeks doing diligence on you and investigating the possibility of hiring, why would you not just sit down with them when your season is over? 

“Listen to them for two hours. Say, ‘well Mr. Harris, Mr. Rales, very impressive. I want to wish you the best of luck. Good luck with everything. Thank you for coming to Detroit. I’m very happy here, I’m going to stay.’” 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 9
  • Thumb up 3

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

With that said, ‘too much quality’ on the oline isn’t exactly a bad problem to have, lol.

edit:  I think it’s be smart/ideal to land at least one proven or promising guy that has some position flex (either can play both tackle spots or can play G/C)

I would look to sign a vet G and OT but the free agent class does not look great. Tyron Smith is the standout but he's got that chronic back issue and is a big health red flag. Should be some quality option in the 2nd round for those two 2nd round picks we have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I would look to sign a vet G and OT but the free agent class does not look great. Tyron Smith is the standout but he's got that chronic back issue and is a big health red flag. Should be some quality option in the 2nd round for those two 2nd round picks we have.

Right not you can get Powers-Johnson as OG/OC and either Guyton or Paul at OT with our 2nds.  Both OTs have a few issues but Johnson Powers is solid!  

I don't follow the national media all that closely although I respect Schefter. That said, does it feel like Schefter just really likes Harris, maybe even on a personal level? He just seems more positive toward the franchise since Harris took over and he's had our back on the BJ incident. In any case, it's quite the change compared to where we've been. 

I know he's a professional and all but it's something that comes through to me. Although of course it could always be the Snyder effect, can't underestimate the positive value of simply having him gone and out of sight. 

Edited by sinews
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1