Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think this is all retroactive spin now, IMHO.  Had Ben Johnson wanted to be a head coach and come to DC, he'd be the head coach today.  He was universally identified as the top target by literally everyone with inside info.  I dont thinknit was made upnor overhyped.  So Peters did care about getting an offensive guy.  He was just open minded, doesn't mean he didn't care.  And then by the time they were spurned by Johnson, what was left as the top candidates just happened to be defensive guys.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Is Marty Hurney still with the team? I think I remember reading he was going to stay in some undisclosed role.

I don't think there's any indication one way or another on Hurney.  I think it was confirmed Mayhew is staying in some capacity.  Probably similar to the capacity he had in SF working with Peters. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Is Marty Hurney still with the team? I think I remember reading he was going to stay in some undisclosed role.

Someone mentioned the other day that Mayhew may be staying but I dont know how valid that was.

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I think this is all retroactive spin now, IMHO.  Had Ben Johnson wanted to be a head coach and come to DC, he'd be the head coach today.  He was universally identified as the top target by literally everyone with inside info.  I dont thinknit was made upnor overhyped.  So Peters did care about getting an offensive guy.  He was just open minded, doesn't mean he didn't care.  And then by the time they were spurned by Johnson, what was left as the top candidates just happened to be defensive guys.

You can want someone to be the guy, and that someone can fail to impress.

I’ve been there as a hiring manager.  Excited about a candidate on paper, meeting them and talking shop and realizing it’s not a fit.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

We will be making announcements about additions to the ES MOD team at the appropriate time. 

In all seriousness I just want to hear that this site is going to stick around.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Goodell’s state of the nfl presser is Monday. I don’t think they want to compete with that.

I can tell you the state of the NFL. Prices are too high for the average fan. Officiating is uneven and the NFL should be embarrassed, and there are too may games outside of US.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

As others here whined about why not interview more on offense, why so many on defense?     That's not retroactive spin.  That's how they set up their interviews. Peters flat out said leadership was his top criteria.   Not after the hire but from the jump.

According to Garafolo, Schefters hints among others, this wasn't per se Johnson's job if he wanted it post interviews.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Keim: It's hard to say. Many in the league anticipated Washington hiring Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson. Although he was a favored target of at least some in the Commanders' search, that wasn't a unanimous opinion, one source said.

When Washington hired Peters last month, one source said he was clearly the Commanders' top choice. But shortly after Peters was hired, one source said there was no coaching candidate who stood out like Peters.

On top of that last year he withdrew from the Texans and Panthers coaching search. I believe Peters was aware of this so I tend to think that he wasn't a "lock" like some media pundits claimed.

• Like 4

Just now, justice98 said:

I think this is all retroactive spin now, IMHO.  Had Ben Johnson wanted to be a head coach and come to DC, he'd be the head coach today.

Maybe.  But it's also easily possible they interviewed him and didn't like him and Quinn got the job anyway.

Again, I'm going to keep going back to Josh Harris' background as a Private Equity executive who built one of the most successful Private Equity Groups on the planet.  They buy organizations, evaluate executives in place, hire new leadership, and then flip companies.  

There are absolutely going to be qualities he's looking for in leadership. And I guarantee you he's not going to bend those because Johnson knows how to call a successful screen pass on 3rd and 8.  

Keim, Bram and Schefter said FOR WEEKS Johnson wasn't the slam dunk candidate. Bram said out loud before and after the Quinn hire he was DIRECTLY TOLD THIS by the team.  You can assume Keim and Schefter were also.

Keim put out a podcast titled "It's Not Ben Johnson" on Jan 29th which went into all the other candidates because he wanted to get it out there Johnson wasn't a slam dunk.

The more I look back at the reporting and see what happened, the more I think Quinn was the leader in the clubhouse all along.  The national media pushed Ben Johnson, the team pushed back with Schefter (national) and Keim/Bram (local + Bram is a team employee), and nobody listened because Johnson was the hot young genius OC with a scruffy beard who reminds everybody of Kyle and McVay.  

But that might not have been the intention ever.  And they tried to tell us.  And we didn't listen.  And by we I don't include myself because I believe Keim and Bram. :) So the final answer wasn't a surprise.  The fact Johnson high-tailed it back to the Dan Campbell crazy nest was a surprise.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, RVAskins said:

I can tell you the state of the NFL. Prices are to high for the average fan. Officiating is uneven and the NFL should be embarrassed, and there are too may games outside of US.

They dont want to hear my rant about all the silly crap that surrounds the super bowl and the regular fan that supported their team all year long cant get a sniff at attending. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think there's any indication one way or another on Hurney.  I think it was confirmed Mayhew is staying in some capacity.  Probably similar to the capacity he had in SF working with Peters. 

I am taking the FO changes seriously post the draft not now.    Coaching staff changes tend to happen in January.  FO staff changes (aside from GM and the #2) tend to happen in May.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

They dont want to hear my rant about all the silly crap that surrounds the super bowl and the regular fan that supported their team all year long cant get a sniff at attending. 

99d212ef-9988-406d-b7b7-b57c56fbfe30_tex ;)

Edited by FrFan
  • Haha 1

I said that the day Peters was hired.  Scouts cannot contractually move until the draft, they're sticking around.

They could hire a new "VP of Personnel" as a promotion of a scout from SF to here.  

But that's about it.  Everything else has to wait until after the draft.  

I thought Hurney would be gone by now, and Mayhew stayed in the VP of Personnel role, and the other lead scouts would stick around through the draft. So I'm a little surprised Hurney hasn't retired/resigned/or been fired.

Btw, @88Comrade2000 predicted the GMs would be fired ...

First before the season, then by Halloween, then in November, then by the bye, then by the end of the season, then as soon as Ron was fired, then when Peters was hired.  And it hasn't happened yet.  So, his track record on predictions remains in pretty good standing  :P

@88Comrade2000 Just a little light hearted fun. I only tease posters I enjoy.  :)  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, skeenzfan said:

If they hit on the QB logic would be applicable even if they hired HC like Ben Johnson. Not like he would be successful without a QB. Don't get the point there. 

That’s exactly the point. The HC hire is irrelevant as long as the guy is not completely incompetent. The QB will determine failure or success exponentially more than the coach. Once you have the franchise QB then you can determine if you have the right coach to take you to a championship. Until then it doesn’t matter.

• Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You can want someone to be the guy, and that someone can fail to impress.

I’ve been there as a hiring manager.  Excited about a candidate on paper, meeting them and talking shop and realizing it’s not a fit.

That's true, but they were giving him an in-person 2nd interview, so I find it hard to believe he failed to impress them on Zoom.  

3 minutes ago, Redd said:

I’m sooooo disappointed.☹️ 

We can’t have nice things.😭

What are you talking about? It's exactly the 2 year anniversary of the rebrand. What could be nicer than celebrating the anniversary of that historic event?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

At this point does it matter anymore about who had one visit who had 5? Who got an offer who didn't? My first, second, third choice was not picked. None of this chatter about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, last... whatever matters. We got DQ. Half of us are unhappy with the pick, the other half are shme about it. 

Lets go get Chip Kelly just to piss off the rest who are not pissed off yet. 

Edited by VRIEL1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As others here whined about why not interview more on offense, why so many on defense?     That's not retroactive spin.  That's how they set up their interviews. Peters flat out said leadership was his top criteria.   Not after the hire but from the jump.

According to Garafolo, Schefters hints among others, this wasn't per se Johnson's job if he wanted it post interviews.  

Whined about ?? 😂 honestly SIP just take a deep breath 😂

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

I blame it on Taylor Swift

I know no one asked me but honestly, I couldn't even name one Taylor Swift song.

I'm just waiting for the day when she gets pulled into the Chiefs should rename their team drama. Maybe that'll happen Super Bowl week. That's when the crazy questions start flying.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Definitely do not want Chris Foerster if my mammories are correct in remembering our OL pass pro was atrocious under him.

Some of the writing on this site is dreadful but I know autocorrect often has a hand in that, but this one really made me wonder!

• Haha 6

Just now, RVAskins said:

I know no one asked me but honestly, I couldn't even name one Taylor Swift song.

I'm just waiting for the day when she gets pulled into the Chiefs should rename their team drama. Maybe that'll happen Super Bowl week. That's when the crazy questions start flying.

I didn't even knew who she was (and honestly didn't care) until I searched Qwant. GO Niners !