Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add the clownshow would be if they actually offered Ben Johnson the job after a bad zoom interview and before they interviewed him in person.    That would be wild.

Anybody who believes Josh Harris would offer any candidate for an executive level job off of even the most spectacular zoom interview in the history of the world has no understanding of the man's history.

He's a Private Equity mogul who buys and sells companies, hires and fires executives, and has 30-40 years of experience doing this at an EXTREMLY high level.

There is absolutely no way on God's Green Earth Josh Harris would offer a job to ANYBODY without talking to them in person first.  Dan might. Josh Harris would absolutely not.  

The fact Ben Johnson turned down the interview means he NEVER, EVER, EVER received an offer.  

I dealt with private equity guys for 8 years in my prior job.  I was the President of a non-profit PE networking group in Maryland.  I know these people.  Even the dumbest of them (and there are dumb ones) would NEVER hire an executive for that type of role until they had done an in-person, in-depth, multi-hour deep dive with them.

And Josh Harris is FAR from the dumbest PE guy I've met.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I've said plenty of times that Frank Smith and Mike Kafka would have been near the top of my list. 

Wouldn't have minded at least talking to guys like Joe Brady, Adam Stenaavich or Press Taylor either. 

Did ANYONE really interview them? I know Smith got one and Kafka got one team each, but they weren't exactly hot names. Joe Brady would have been a real stretch, since he only became an OC when Dorsey was fired.

26 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Just hypothetical.  Let's say Klint Kubiak becomes our OC and we trade our 2nd 2nd round pick and our 2nd 3rd round or 4th round pick for Justin Fields and redo his contract with escalators and something like a 3-year $45 million dollar deal with it back loaded the last year with 1/2 the monies.  How would people feel about that.  He would be 25 yrs. old and his stats aren't bad. Kubiak with Minnestoa did wonders there with all the QBs he worked with.  Just a thought.  We could trade down a bit and still get one of the best OTs in the draft and Peters could trade down a bit with our other 2nd/3rd rounders.  

I would break down in a sobbing mess because it would mean that the light at the end of the tunnel disappeared in a cave in.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Literally not one credible source has reported it. When I asked you to link them, you just said "in this thread."  

Not ONE credible source has reported it.  And they won't.  Because it didn't happen.  

You DO NOT make an offer to a candidate you haven't spoken to in person.  The timeline doesn't jive either.  

You're getting yourslef into a pretzel based on fake news.  I wouldn't do that if I were you.  

EDIT: I will drop this if you can link a credible source.  Which, I don't think you can.  Until then, I'm going to continue to say I haven't seen one, and I'm going to continue to push the truthful and accurate narrative it didn't happen.  

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add the clownshow would be if they actually offered Ben Johnson the job after a bad zoom interview and before they interviewed him in person.    That would be wild.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39416878/washington-commanders-hire-dan-quinn-head-coach-biggest-questions

John Keim, ESPN Staff WriterFeb 1, 2024, 12:16 PM ET

While Johnson's withdrawal from consideration Tuesday surprised the team, it did not result in panic, one source said. Washington had not yet settled on one person, even if Johnson was considered a top target. Nobody had been offered the job. 

And until Sunday evening, it would have been a flagrant violation of league rules.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Canales is very inexperienced as an OC.

One other thing on Canales: Tepper must have figured out he wasn't getting any of the top candidates.  He probably was told by agents there was no interest by the more desirable folks, so he had to go take a chance on a less experienced candidate and throw a ton of money at him.  

They gave Canales a 6 year contract.  He's been a good OC, but Tepper had to go after him hard and overpay to get him.

Just like Dan had to do for years.  Bad owners will get a guy, but it's generally not the best candidate and they over-pay for them.  

My guess is even if they interviewed Canales, he would be on-par with Slowik as seen as "not enough experience."  

I rally think the leading candidates were Quinn, Morris, Johnson and Macdonald, and I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't in that order, but they wanted to talk to all of them + Weaver and Glenn to see if they should change their mind.  

Morris went off the board early to Atlanta before they had a chance to talk to Johnson and Macdonald.

Personally, I would be ROASTING them if they hired Quinn before talking to Johnson and Macdonald.  They talked to one and the other tucked his tail and ran away. 

But they had to go through the whole process.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Anybody who believes Josh Harris would offer any candidate for an executive level job off of even the most spectacular zoom interview in the history of the world has no understanding of the man's history.

He's a Private Equity mogul who buys and sells companies, hires and fires executives, and has 30-40 years of experience doing this at an EXTREMLY high level.

There is absolutely no way on God's Green Earth Josh Harris would offer a job to ANYBODY without talking to them in person first.  Dan might. Josh Harris would absolutely not.  

The fact Ben Johnson turned down the interview means he NEVER, EVER, EVER received an offer.  

I dealt with private equity guys for 8 years in my prior job.  I was the President of a non-profit PE networking group in Maryland.  I know these people.  Even the dumbest of them (and there are dumb ones) would NEVER hire an executive for that type of role until they had done an in-person, in-depth, multi-hour deep dive with them.

And Josh Harris is FAR from the dumbest PE guy I've met.  

Chris Cooley liked to joke that Keim is never wrong because he gets 7 sources on any info he puts out.  As Keim himself has said he's more concerned about his credibility and being right about something then being first on a rumor.  He's not the only one who has said the same and that is no offer was made to these guys.

Look even if people don't want to believe Keim and other national reporters to your point, wouldn't Harris, Peters and company have to be morons to be making offers before their in person interviews?    It would show they aren't doing their homework.  And Keim again would have egg in his face because he said he heard they are VERY into these interviews, its very important to them to ferret out the best candidate.

Also depending on the timing I think they'd be toying timing wise with violating the Rooney rule by having basically sham interviews with others where at a minimum it would warrant an investigation.  As far as I understand the Bieineimy interview didn't meet that rule nor did the zoom interviews.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

And until Sunday evening, it would have been a flagrant violation of league rules.  

Yeah, because he was still employed and coaching. Same with Macdonald.

Good catch on that one.

I guess they could have technically offered him on Sunday night BEFORE they did a second interview planned for Tuesday, while they still had interviews lined up with Quinn, Glenn, Weaver and Macdonald.

The idea they offered Johnson a contract prior to an interview is so preposterous I can't imagine anybody believes it.  

@Skinsinparadise I can't believe we are wasting the amount of time discussing something that never happened because one or two fools are reading a reddit rumor and twisting themselves into a knot because they want to push a false narrative.  

It didn't happen.  End of story. 

What's next?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

They offered the job to both. Multiple sources have stated that. 

Believing stories that make you feel better about it is far more dangerous.

They botched the process but ended up with a competent coach. If they hit on the QB the hire will look like it was smart. If they miss it won’t. But let’s not pretend Quinn was the choice all along. That’s laughable. 

Multiple sources said the Zoom interview did not go so well, but yet we offered him, without an in-person interview?  That is a dubious (an offer) proposition at best and illogical, which goes against everything we have heard about our new ownership and GM. Not buying that, at all.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yep that’s pretty obvious isn’t it. We have elite Execs in ownership.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Multiple sources said the Zoom interview did not go so well, but yet we offered him, without an in-person interview?  That is a dubious (an offer) proposition at best and illogical, which goes against everything we have heard about our new ownership and GM. Not buying that, at all.

For what it's worth, I don't believe the "zoom interview didn't go well" stories either.  I know Graziano said it, and he's somewhat reputable, but where in Pete would he have gotten that from?  Harris' group has been buttoned up. They wouldn't report that.  Johnson's side wouldn't report that.  

The only thing I can think of is one of the other teams who zoom-interviewed Johnson let it slip, and there is kindof a transitive property of "if he screwed up the zoom interview for team X, then probably the same for teams Y and Z.

You always have to consider the source. Who would want that out there.  Harris would not.  There's no benefit for him to get it out there.  Johnson turned down the interview.  That's enough cover he needs for not hiring him.  So, who else?  

I do with Johnson had interviewed, and then if we still hired Quinn, at least the "they got stuck" narrative wouldn't be there.

I'm not going to defend the choice of Quinn, to me that's entirely wait and see like it would have been with anybody.

But I think the process was really good and they did things as fast as they could under league rules, so I'll defend Harris and the process.  

• Like 1

It all feels like a play on words for the sake of public perception.  It’s possible a candidates agent had preliminary discussions regarding what a contract would look like prior to an interview or job offer being made.  That however is not an offer.  

For example, my current position - a recruiter found me on LinkedIn and described the job.  My first questions were remote/hybrid and salary range, as to not waste anyone’s time.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

The only thing I can think of is one of the other teams who zoom-interviewed Johnson let it slip, and there is kindof a transitive property of "if he screwed up the zoom interview for team X, then probably the same for teams Y and Z.

I believe the zoom call being cited as not going well came from Seattle.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Thank you...my rant earlier about the teams website is now justified..... by a MOD no less. 

I think they're firing people.  Which is why it hasn't been announced. 

Because what they don't want to say is "Here is Dan Quinn, new Head Coach. He's evaluating the staff."  Because they can't say "we fired 13 coaches" until they've told the 13 coaches they are fired.

• Like 2

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It all feels like a play on words for the sake of public perception.  It’s possible a candidates agent had preliminary discussions regarding what a contract would look like prior to an interview or job offer being made.  That however is not an offer.  

Yeah you see it with FA signings, trades, etc.  Often they will show the person signing the deal. and then the official annoucement goes down.

If some recall, the team offered a farewell message for Sweat before Young.  Some thought that was a dig from the team.  But it came out later that Sweat passed his physical with the Bears and Young hasn't yet so the deal wasn't official.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, because he was still employed and coaching. Same with Macdonald.

Good catch on that one.

I guess they could have technically offered him on Sunday night BEFORE they did a second interview planned for Tuesday, while they still had interviews lined up with Quinn, Glenn, Weaver and Macdonald.

The idea they offered Johnson a contract prior to an interview is so preposterous I can't imagine anybody believes it.  

@Skinsinparadise I can't believe we are wasting the amount of time discussing something that never happened because one or two fools are reading a reddit rumor and twisting themselves into a knot because they want to push a false narrative.  

It didn't happen.  End of story. 

What's next?

What likely happened here is they had preliminary discussions with agents of their top candidates about what an offer might look like/would need to look like and maybe shared contractual language (which would be mainly boilerplate).

That’s not the same as making an actual offer of employment. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think they're firing people.  Which is why it hasn't been announced. 

Because what they don't want to say is "Here is Dan Quinn, new Head Coach. He's evaluating the staff."  Because they can't say "we fired 13 coaches" until they've told the 13 coaches they are fired.

That's a good point, there will be a purge for sure

Just now, MartinC said:

What likely happened here is they had preliminary discussions with agents of their top candidates about what an offer might look like/would need to look like and maybe shared contractual language (which would be mainly boilerplate).

That’s not the same as making an actual offer of employment. 

I'm sure that happened weeks ago.  That's legal.  But that's like the question the recruiter asks the head hunter before the candidate actually talks to the company.  

If that's being spun into "made an offer" that's like looking at a 1986 yugo and saying it was a fantastic feat of modern engineering.  Quite the stretch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RVAskins said:

Is Marty Hurney still with the team? I think I remember reading he was going to stay in some undisclosed role.

We will be making announcements about additions to the ES MOD team at the appropriate time. 

• Haha 6