Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

So you chose a random ass hill to die on

This one has the pickaxe, wheelbarrow, and just keeps on shoveling on the BB (not blueberry ;)) Hill.

mike-florio.jpeg.256x256_q100_crop-smart

Edited by FrFan
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

So more info is starting to come out, doesn't make me feel any better yet, but I'm willing to let things unfold for a bit before I put this hiring in the same category as the Carson Wentz trade (I'm trying to be objective...I really am.). Still doesn't look like a win in my eyes (at this time) and some of the ways some people are trying make this an easier pill to swallow really need to work on their bed side manner. I don't know who would be happy or excited about this hire, so lets not pretend we all should be baking a cake right now. We were promised young, fresh and new...we got none of that.

Now, some of you are trying to say that we need Quinn as a bridge hire until we can get a young, fresh, coach...how is this completely different from Rivera? The coaches involved may not be exactly the same, but this situation seems quite familiar.

Nobody is pretending that everyone should be dancing in the streets.  But some of you guys are outrageous.  Same owner and GM that were geniuses a week ago are now idiots that bumbled the entire process.  Forget context, forget all you’ve been told by those in the know for a while now, and stomp your feet and call them all failures because they didn’t put a gun to McDonalds head, bribe Ben Johnson or gamble on folks with minimal coaching experience.  

This place is still the same 💩 hole that Dan sold them.  This roster is the same pile of crap that Ron built and got fired with.  They have so much work to do to make this place attractive and I have no doubts they will do it.  The reality is that’s going to take time and whoever we hired in 2024 is likely not the guy that is taking this team to the Super Bowl.

I don’t think for a second that Peters sees Quinn as a bridge coach.  I think he likely ends up being that, but no chance that’s how the guys who hired him see it.  I get the similarities to Ron, but Ron was given all the power by a short pudgy Napoleon.  The only reason that was even palatable at the time because the thought was at least it means less Dan.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 7
  • Thumb up 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

As I suspected all along, Johnson interviewed poorly with Seattle and that causes him to drop out, throwing everything out of whack. 

Still wish we could’ve gotten Macdonald, but oh well. 

Lets get Quinn a good OC and build this thing up.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

That was aimed less at the team and more  aimed at the posters on this board. The ones acting like the current unhappy fans are being irrational or unreasonable giving the unfolding of events. Obviously, we won't know if its starting to work until at least a month into the new season, so everyone is going to have to wait.

Now, Harris may not have come out, looked into a camera and said "We're hiring a young, fresh coach.". However, everything he's done with current hires, his past hiring history and what he has said points to a different direction. I can tell you he definitely didn't say he want an "old, stale, 2nd chance coach". When he said he wanted to model the Ravens, I didn't think he meant with an older coach.

Whatever, no point in arguing or "debating" this anymore until week 5 in my eyes.

If you meant some of the fans or posters were promising a young fresh coordinator, I mean that's obviously worth what internet speculations are worth. 

I'll just point out that with his other franchises, Harris has never hired a head coach without previous head coaching experience (at minimum overseas).  So there was really no reason to expect a young coordinator hire based on his history. 

I don't think any owner wants a "old, stale" coach.  Whether Dan Quinn is old, stale depends on one's opinion, but based on reputable reporters like Keim, this team's leadership group thought highly of Quinn from the get go and he was always a serious candidate who interviewed very well.  The fact that they included him in the shortlist is pretty good evidence that they never thought of him as old or stale.  Team talked about leader of men from the beginning.  By all reports, he seems to be a good leader.  Whether that actually translates to a good winning team is something we'll have to see.

23 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It sounds like Ben Johnson wasn't ready to be a head coach.  There was a lot of smoke to that fire and his decision to pull his candidacy (and the way he did it) confirmed that.  He might not be head coach material period, although he is still a talented young coach with a lot of career ahead of him.

We dodged a bullet with him and should actually be grateful that he is self aware enough to pull out because he knew it wasn't a good fit.  I've been thinking about the stories of Robert Saleh and Brian Daboll and Hue Jackson and how their team culture was just atrocious because they were unfit and unready to be head coaches.  Their insecurity becomes metastisized and they became team cancers even though they were each super impressive coaches at a lower level.  It's the kind of experience where their careers never really recover either.  The job is not for everyone, and timing matters.  It's really clear in hindsight that this was not the time for Ben Johnson to make the leap.

Just listened to this via the Junkies playing it just now.  Garafolo is up there with Schefter as for being a good source.  He said Johnson wasn't going to get either job as the process unfolded.   Got into his personality some, too.  Very entertaining listen for those interested.

Some here don't like it when we mention Johnson still.  But I find it VERY relevant because there are so many fans who think Quinn was who they were left with and didn't originally want.   That's BS.   Keim among others was saying from the jump that Quinn was a serious candidate.   lol, as someone who wanted Johnson from the jump, I kept saying here and fearing that Quinn was a real threat.  In retrospect, I am glad it worked out the way he did.

And agree Johnson comes off like a smart guy, he comes off self-aware enough to read the room.  And he did us a favor for multiple reasons including if he were still a viable candidate and they hired Quinn anyway which I gather would have happened -- fans would have been even more upset.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

I don’t really care about Ben Johnson at this point and I’m cool with Quinn assuming he doesn’t hire Chip Kelly. 

What concerns me about the below is that it appears Peters has less sway on major hiring decisions than we thought he would.  It’s an early warning sign to me that there are too many cooks in the kitchen, especially if we’re not letting the true “football guys” be the ones solely making the decisions. 

• Like 3

I don’t think for a second that the Commanders are going to hire 106 year old Chip Kelly, who has been out of the pro game for quite some time, and hand him the reigns of our offense.  Especially with us having the #2 pick in the draft and probably going QB.  

No ****ing way.

• Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I don’t really care about Ben Johnson at this point and I’m cool with Quinn assuming he doesn’t hire Chip Kelly. 

What concerns me about the below is that it appears Peters has less sway on major hiring decisions than we thought he would.  It’s an early warning sign to me that there are too many cooks in the kitchen, especially if we’re not letting the true “football guys” be the ones solely making the decisions. 

I have zero concern about this.  Peters for all his accolades is a first time GM.  This is a pivotal hire and the opinions of others should always be taken into consideration.  And it sounds like if this portrayal is accurate, the other guys were right.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So much tea leaves reading to get to that conclusion though.  It could also be (likely even), that everyone, including Peters had Johnson on the shortlist (we know the team asked for permission to interview Johnson even before Peters was hired).  The interview was subpar and the group collectively said he might not be the top candidate.  I'm not sure what evidence would point to Peters being overruled on wanting Johnson.

• Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah am good with Quinn.  He wasn't my #1 choice.   But as I joked a few days back, even though he wasn't my #1 choice I likely have put more pro Quinn propaganda on the thread than anyone.  It was hard for me not to because I like to share what I hear in podcasts, etc and as I mention no one got praise to the extent as Quinn. That dude is billed around the league as a great coach.  Whether he is or not that remains to be seen.  But I can't argue he's hailed around the leaguer as a stud even though the fans here aren't jazzed about him.

He wasn't my #1 choice either, but my #1 choice was Ben Johnson and it would have been a bad one.  From where we sit, we don't really know about these guys.  We barely even know if they are good playcallers and coordinators, and I agree, that isn't the most relevant aspect of being a head coach at all.  Leadership is everything.  Sincere passion for the job, flexibility, organizational skills, communication skills, patience and ability to maintain perspective, ability to focus through adversity, etc.  That's the stuff that really matters.  Your head coach needs to be a jimmies and joes guy, and leave the bulk of the xs and os stuff to his assistants.  On this front, Quinn was my favorite option after Johnson pulled out.  I wasn't super comfortable with MacDonald or the other inexperienced assistant coaches we were interviewing.  And I think you are right to rely on the word of the national reporters who hyped up Quinn and warned us that there were red flags with Johnson.  This isn't like draft watching and forming our own takes on college prospects, in this the reporters certainly know better than we do.  They're the ones with access to the relevant information.

As for Ron, I don't think he was actually a good jimmies and joes coach, and the fact that he ran off or passed over so many talented assistant coaches and players who may have had egos or challenged him was evidence of that.  He just couldn't work with people outside of his limited circle.  He was inflexible and frankly, uncreative.  Not a bad coach, but in a situation where there was a near total vacuum in leadership surrounding him, we needed a truly great head coach to fill the void.

Things will be different now.  We've got an impressive GM and ownership that seems far smarter and more stable than Snyder was (and far more engaged in genuine partnership with the front office). We're building out our franchise leadership in an appropriate way, and Quinn isn't going to have to do everything like Rivera did.  It's a vastly more manageable job to head coach this team now.

• Like 10
  • Thumb up 3

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I have zero concern about this.  Peters for all his accolades is a first time GM.  This is a pivotal hire and the opinions of others should always be taken into consideration.  And it sounds like if this portrayal is accurate, the other guys were right.

It’s not just about this decision. It’s about what it portends going forward. 

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

So much tea leaves reading to get to that conclusion though.  It could also be (likely even), that everyone, including Peters had Johnson on the shortlist (we know the team asked for permission to interview Johnson even before Peters was hired).  The interview was subpar and the group collectively said he might not be the top candidate.  I'm not sure what evidence would point to Peters being overruled on wanting Johnson.

Did you read the tweet I shared?

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Spielman and Myers were tasked with hiring the GM and also helping with the HC.  After that from what I gather their job is done.  Spielman flat out said he has ZERO to do after this and has no influence in personnel.   So at least for me I knew the HC hire was by commttee.  We talked about it here on and off.

The HC and GM was perceived as a culture building move.  And part of the reason why Myers in particular was hired for this process is to help set up the building on that front.

I didn't listen to the whole thing, I'll do so soon.

• Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Spielman and Myers were tasked with hiring the GM and also helping with the HC.  After that from what I gather their job is done.  Spielman flat out said he has ZERO to do after this and has no influence in personnel.   So at least for me I knew the HC hire was by commttee.  We talked about it here on and off.

The HC and GM was perceived as a culture building move.  And part of the reason why Myers in particular was hired for this process is to help set up the building on that front.

I didn't listen to the whole thing, I'll do so soon.

I really hope that’s the case man. We’ll see. 

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I really hope that’s the case man. We’ll see. 

I know its the case with Spielman.  He talked about it.  He will be leaving and has zero personnel say.   Myers I heard might remain a bit longer.  But he's not making personnel calls. 

Again I think its all for the best.  One other segment with Garafolo included that the Washington's brass was pissed for how Johnson handled it as to telling them mid-flight. And considering if Keim knows that Johnson was working on his "people skills", the FO knew so too.    I suspect at this point even if Peters was waffiling, I gather he would today think they made the right call.

Keim mentioned this FO digs Quinn.  Sheehan said he heard the same.   All this was said before the hire.  I'd say no chance Peters wasn't part of that group.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Wow, the league has seen an unreal amount of coordinator turnover during the last few years. Either you get hired to be an HC or you get scapegoated by your HC if things don’t work out. Really makes it apparent how much of an outlier Ben Johnson’s decision was. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It’s not just about this decision. It’s about what it portends going forward. 

Did you read the tweet I shared?

Did you hear the Garafolo interview that tweet is based off of?  Garofalo specifically said not to say that Peters was undermined.  He talked about how Johnson was not the leading candidate after his interviews.  Think of it this way.  Schneider said he wanted Lions and Ravens to lose so he can move forward with the interview.  He had Johnson high enough on the list to do virtual interview with him but not Macdonald. So supposedly Schneider and other Washington brass all concluded after the interview that Johnson is not their top choice (to the extent that Seattle started the interview for Macdonald despite no virtual interview), but Peters was pounding the table for Johnson?  That's a reasonable take based on a tweet from a blogger who is speculating off of a Garofolo interview where Garofalo specifically said not to say Peters was undermined?  I guess I have far less esteem for bloggers than you.

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know its the case with Spielman.  He talked about it.  He will be leaving and has zero personnel say.   Myers I heard might remain a bit longer.  But he's not making personnel calls. 

Again I think its all for the best.  One other segment with Garafolo included that the Washington's brass was pissed for how Johnson handled it as to telling them mid-flight. And considering if Keim knows that Johnson was working on his "people skills", the FO knew so too.    I suspect at this point even if Peters was waffiling, I gather he would today think they made the right call.

Keim mentioned this FO digs Quinn.  Sheehan said he heard the same.   All this was said before the hire.  I'd say no chance Peters wasn't part of that group.

Who do you think is making the call to hire an OC?  Do you think it is all Quinn?  Quinn and Peters?  Or Quinn + the “committee”?

Genuinely curious. 

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Who do you think is making the call to hire an OC?  Do you think it is all Quinn?  Quinn and Peters?  Or Quinn + the “committee”?

Genuinely curious. 

I'd figure it's all Quinn.  But Peters wouild make recommendations from his own network and experience.

I'd gather Quinn has full control over coaching staff.  Peters with full control over the FO staff. 

• Like 4