Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

It will be interesting three years from now looking at the records of the teams who hired new HC this off season. Who was a bust and who was a great hire. Will all of them even be with their teams in three years.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

“I think he does a great job of finding ways for you to love the game and finding ways to go around the game,” Cowboys linebacker Micah Parsons said in January. “It doesn’t always have to be hard-nosed and ‘I’m the coach.’ I think it’s more of a friendship. We go through what I don’t like, what I do like. He doesn’t just treat me like a player; he treats me almost like a friend. He’s always there for me when I need him, and we’re not afraid to have those hard conversations, whether it’s father to son or player to coach. We have them no matter what.”

Logan Paulsen, a former Washington tight end who is now a Commanders broadcast analyst, spent the 2018 season in Atlanta with Quinn. He remembers it as the most enjoyable season of his 10-year career.

“Just the culture he was able to build,” Paulsen said. “... We’re taking it seriously, but we can enjoy each other and enjoy each other’s time. It all comes from him and his personality.”

After he was fired in Atlanta, Quinn called Paulsen to get his input on what he could have done better as a head coach. Asked if he’s ever had a coach do that before, Paulsen said, “No. Never.”

On the field, Quinn has continued to evolve and adjust to his players’ strengths. His defenses in Seattle and Atlanta were known for their heavy doses of cover-one and cover-three shells. In Dallas, Quinn emphasized man coverage and cover-two and found ways to disguise coverages pre-snap.

Quinn interviewed for multiple head-coaching vacancies the past two hiring cycles but opted to remain in Dallas. In 2023, the Cowboys finished fifth in total yards, passing yards and points allowed. They held opponents to 20 points or fewer in 11 of their 17 games, and they seemed poised for a deep playoff run. But they fell to the Green Bay Packers, 48-32, in the first round.

Quinn’s expertise will be vital in remaking the Commanders’ defense, which became a liability last season with a lackluster pass rush and leaky secondary.

His choice of offensive coordinator could be one of the most important factors in the trajectory of the team’s future. Bieniemy has another year left on his contract, but after a 4-13 finish, the team may be due for a fresh start. For years, Washington has sorely needed an infusion of creativity in its offensive play-calling, but more than anything, it needs stability at quarterback after churning through 14 starters in the past 10 seasons.

Quinn has deep ties to many potential coordinators across the league. One candidate could be Klint Kubiak, the San Francisco 49ers’ passing game coordinator and the son of longtime coach Gary Kubiak. Quinn had success with 49ers Coach Kyle Shanahan as his offensive coordinator in Atlanta, and Peters knows Klint Kubiak from his time in San Francisco and Denver.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/02/01/dan-quinn-commanders-coach/

On the defensive side, Quinn will probably call plays, but that’s not a certainty; he only called plays part of the time he was the head coach in Atlanta. Potential prospects for Washington’s defensive coordinator vacancy include Joe Whitt Jr., the Cowboys’ secondary coach and passing game coordinator, and Joe Cullen, the Kansas City Chiefs’ defensive line coach. (Per NFL rules, Washington is prohibited from interviewing assistant coaches participating in the Super Bowl until after the postseason, and it must interview at least two external candidates who are minorities or women for coordinator roles.)

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Anybody still feeling down after today's hiring who wants to feel better should head over to the CowboysZone fan forum and enjoy a heaping helping of schadenfreude at their expense...

Thread 1: Dan Quinn to be Commanders new HC per Schefter

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/dan-quinn-to-be-commanders-new-hc-per-schefter.521637/

Thread 2: Commanders hire Joe Whitt jr

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/commanders-hire-joe-whitt-jr.521662/

They are in meltdown mode right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, London Kev said:

So Whitt may have to choose between coaching the cowboys' defense vs coaching our defense. What a tough decision that's gonna be!

It could be with our draft picks and free agents we bring in.

6 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

It could be with our draft picks and free agents we bring in.

True, although I'm expecting most of our early picks to be exclusively on the offense. Can definitely see us being aggressive in FA though.

Edited by London Kev

4 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Anybody still feeling down after today's hiring who wants to feel better should head over to the CowboysZone fan forum and enjoy a heaping helping of schadenfreude at their expense...

Thread 1: Dan Quinn to be Commanders new HC per Schefter

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/dan-quinn-to-be-commanders-new-hc-per-schefter.521637/

Thread 2: Commanders hire Joe Whitt jr

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/commanders-hire-joe-whitt-jr.521662/

They are in meltdown mode right now.

Was over there for about an hour earlier. You should include the "Ron Rivera for DC thread". There is literal gold in there. 

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

He's a hybrid clone of these two:

Magic-Johnson-Howard-Stern.jpg?w=1000

Holy Jesus. What a nightmare thought that is. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I'll head over and check it out. Ugg.....I hope I don't get a virus. lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Taking Quinn and Whitt from Dallas and giving them Ron as DC is too good to be true.

Coup d'etat if they have to take JDR too 👍

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

A good thing about Quinn as HC is he was the cowboys DC for several years, so he probably knows how to best stop the Dallas offense as well as anyone having conducted practices against them.

Also being the cowboys DC, he has vast experience game planning against the eagles and giants offenses.

Dealing with things in the NFC east will not be new to him.

• Like 1