Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Not one team was interested in having Quinn as their head coach, and Dallas has no interest in giving him a sweet deal to make sure he stays there. Either we are the ones that are outsmarting everyone in the league (that loves to talk him up just not hire him to lead their team), or once again, we will be making the wrong decision. 

• Like 2

This line "And for all of his strengths, Johnson didn’t knock his first interview with Washington out of the park." might have some relevance.  Breer is no joke, he's not always right, the Belichick crap was a rare miss from him, but he's close to being on the money typically

Ben Johnson is returning to the Detroit Lions for the 2024 season.

That’s a line I didn’t think I’d be writing three weeks ago. It’s an outcome very few folks in NFL circles expected to see back then. But, today, Johnson told the Washington Commanders and Seattle Seahawks he’s staying in Detroit as offensive coordinator.

A year ago, Johnson removed his name from consideration for head-coaching jobs, with the Carolina Panthers prominent among them. The Lions talked to him about a raise at the time (one they wound up giving him), assuring him that a good option was waiting for him on the other end of the process if he didn’t feel exactly right about the teams that were pursuing him or the timing of the opportunities.

I don’t think Detroit was sitting there this time trying to dissuade him from going to the Commanders, Seahawks or any other team. But at this point, I do think it’s implicitly understood that Johnson has a home with a team that loves him, and a job he’s going to be able to do at a very high level, protecting his coaching stock from plummeting between now and January 2025.

So that’s a factor.

Then, there’s the flip side. Washington really liked Johnson. But this was no fait accompli. In fact, as I’d heard it, the Commanders were hitting a soft reset in their process this week, looking to go with in-person interviews, and open-minded to wherever those talks would take them. The Seahawks, who are getting to meet with Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald for the first time, are taking the same approach, too. And for all of his strengths, Johnson didn’t knock his first interview with Washington out of the park.

Add it all up, and it is understandable why Johnson would decide to go back to the Lions for another year. That said, there’s also risk: Young assistants don’t always stay hot in these situations, and as hot as Johnson’s name has been, he’s certainly not exempt from that.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Johnson didn’t knock his first interview with Washington out of the park.

Knew it. That makes the most sense. Lets not forget he did virtual interviews with multiple teams. And nothing came out if it. 

• Like 3

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Knew it. That makes the most sense. Lets not forget he did virtual interviews with multiple teams. And nothing came out if it. 

Yeah Breer isn't a throw crap against the wall kind of guy.  The idea that Ben didn't do hot in his interview.  Breer like Keim (both Ohio State guys ironically) are super polite.  So when he said he didn't knock his interview out of the park -- that's typically code for it was "meh"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redskin301 said:

Anybody else just feel really bummed out and sad about the coaching search 

Not me.  But you got plenty of company otherwise -- read the thread its a morgue, don't worry you got plenty of people sad with you. 

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

FWIW, this guy's available

image.png.40e51770d8d7ad44b0f040afe1a7cf22.png

Teasing me.  Sad this is the end of his run this season. 😞

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, redskin301 said:

Anybody else just feel really bummed out and sad about the coaching search 

Honestly, I'm posting stuff that makes me laugh to keep from crying. This off-season was off to such a promising start and smashed straight into the ground. 

I guess sucking during the season wasn't enough. 

• Thumb up 2

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

That is the 64K question I have asked several times.  There seems to be some issues with this FO/Advisory team or no one wants to coach here.  

Actually, shouldn’t Adam be allowed to make the final decision on who is hired as coach?

The committee is there in the interviews, give Adam their thoughts on the candidates but shouldn’t Adam decide?

Seems like their is too many cooks in this coaching search.

We are the last opening and unless they have more candidates in mind, they should be making the offer tonight to their candidate and announce it tomorrow.

• Like 2

Why are we still talking about Dan Quinn? If they liked him so much I feel like they would have hired him already? You see how quickly Seattle hired Macdonald after meeting with him?

Its obvious that Quinn is a backup plan but still one they're not ready to go to as he hasn't been offered anything that we know of and Peters is in Mobile and doesn't seem to be mulling over a decision right now 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

Why are we still talking about Dan Quinn? If they liked him so much I feel like they would have hired him already? You see how quickly Seattle hired Macdonald after meeting with him?

Its obvious that Quinn is a backup plan but still one they're not ready to go to as he hasn't been offered anything that we know of and Peters is in Mobile and doesn't seem to be mulling over a decision right now 

They almost have to be looking at someone on the 49ers or Chiefs staff

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

It might not be Quinn.  He's the one that gets the most buzz from the national reporters and local ones as to their interest albeit Finlay says he's heard Weaver is building some late momentum.

The talk seems to be no more interviews.

If so, they can hire any of these guys now.  What's the hold up?  I got no idea.  Hoffman speculated contract negotiation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

No he shouldn’t. 

They shouldn’t say ****, to be honest. 

The only thing that can happen is it makes the situation worse.

”Hey everyone, welcome. So, I’m calling you guys here today that we missed out on our first, second, third, fourth and fifth choices. We’re currently debating offering our sixth choice but we’re up in the air.

But no worries, we’re actually going to get the guy we wanted the whole time because we’ve been playing possum. So give us a day or three weeks and we’ll have this all sorted.”

Damn you Kdawg with your logical post.....let me have my rabid fan moment lol 😆 

• Haha 1

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

I posted earlier in this thread that this is the weirdest thing I have ever seen or been through as a fan of this team in 52 years.  There are others that have been fans longer but for me the strangest of times.  We will probably never know why.  Yes, if it is Quinn just announce it.  That's why this is strange. I have said that Harris is seeing all the fan push back and is scared to do it.  If so, pretty sad.  But truly we will never know.  In the end I wonder if Harris will come out and say whoever the hire is, "This is the guy we wanted all along"  We shall see maybe Harris says nothing.  Who knows.  Odd.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It might not be Quinn.  He's the one that gets the most buzz from the national reporters and local ones as to their interest albeit Finlay says he's heard Weaver is building some late momentum.

If so, they can hire any of these guys now.  What's the hold up?  I got no idea.  Hoffman speculated contract negotiation

After Seattle announced Macdonald I figured they'd wait until tomorrow if there was something in the pipeline. If we're still speculating by this time tomorrow night then I think it's open again and who knows? Maybe we know after the SB? 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do wonder if negotiations were an issue with Macdonald and Johnson. Both seem to want big money and years. Will be interested to hear the final numbers on Macdonald but he got 6 years.