Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think it's real telling he didn't even interview anywhere else. I don't want to jinx it, and Keim has repeatedly said this is no slam dunk, but I have to feel we are the leader in the club house for Johnson.

I don't think the Johnson and Peters situations are comparable at all. Supposedly Johnson is taking every single interview he has been offered (yes even the Panthers). I am not criticizing him for it, most candidates would, but he clearly wants to hear what everyone has to offer (last year he declined several interviews).

This is supposedly what happened last year and I do respect Johnson for this (though maybe shouldn't have waited until the last minute lol). 

With Peters it seemed the only options in his mind were he was either going to come to Washington or just stay in San Fran where he was. He wasn't interested in anywhere else or anyone else's situation. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I don't think the Johnson and Peters situations are comparable at all.

I wasn't comparing the situations. I was evaluating how attractive this place is. I didn't say we were going to land him, I said we are the leader, right now. Most pundits I've seen around also feel we are the favorite.

• Like 1

Mike Jones just on Sheehan.

A.  He doesn't think the Eagles fire their HC but wasn't 100% sure

B.  He thinks Belichick ends up in Dallas or LA not Atlanta

C. Pierce stays in Vegas

D. Harbaugh maybe LA

E. Vrabel -- doesn't have a good feel for where he goes, maybe Dallas, maybe Seattle

Talking about this team he wasn't sure.  He talked about Ben Johnson being perceived as the top offensive guy.  Then talked a bit about Raheem Morris and how close he is with Kyle and connected that to Peters.  But he was just spitballing on it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

Raheem morris would be a disaster hire… not because I don’t like him as a HC but because we would then be unable to hire Johnson, slowik, or any of the other young gun coordinators. 

I don’t understand how anyone could mention Staley with a straight face. He was an awful head coach. 

looking at who Harris has brought in here- he doesn’t seem at all interested in an unsuccessful retread. 

I have futures wagers on the lions and Texans, but I’d gladly accept them being KOd this weekend if it means expediting this hire.

• Like 2

Johnson will very likely choose us as long as nobody offers the godfather deal of power and money. As long as our deal is in the same universe we got the edge.

No small "if" tho... Tepper grows more insane by the day. Man is fittin' to go to Arkham.

btm.jpg.edc4c22ead18890d1414481153ee210e.jpg

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mike Jones just on Sheehan.

A.  He doesn't think the Eagles fire their HC but wasn't 100% sure

B.  He thinks Belichick ends up in Dallas or LA not Atlanta

C. Pierce stays in Vegas

D. Harbaugh maybe LA

E. Vrabel -- doesn't have a good feel for where he goes, maybe Dallas, maybe Seattle

Talking about this team he wasn't sure.  He talked about Ben Johnson being perceived as the top offensive guy.  Then talked a bit about Raheem Morris and how close he is with Kyle and connected that to Peters.  But he was just spitballing on it.

It feels like everyone is just spitballing and giving interviews guessing because people/they need clicks. There is very little solid info out there about these vacancies..

• Nobody knew what Tomlin was going to do until he told the Steelers players.
  • Nobody knows what Jerry Jones is going to do about McCarthy.
  • Nobody knows if Sirianni is staying or going with the Eagles.
  • Nobody knows whats happening with Antonio Pierce and the Raiders. 
Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2

It appears Morris not likely to take interviews with the Chargers (Harbaugh interest) and Falcons (Belichick interest).  

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2024/1/16/24040952/rams-raheem-morris-interviews-panthers-commanders

Raheem Morris has 3 interviews lined up, 2 more waiting

Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris will not likely be with L.A. for much longer, if interest of his services on the head coaching market are any indication. Morris has an interview with the Panthers on Wednesday, the Commanders on Thursday, and the Seahawks on Friday. The Chargers have requested an interview with Morris, but rumors of their intense interest in Jim Harbaugh have probably made other candidates question if L.A.’s interest in them is real.

The Falcons have requested Morris too, and in their case the person is Bill Belichick instead of Harbaugh. Essentially, Raheem Morris is talking to the three teams that he feels actually might want Raheem Morris.

It is the second year in a row that Morris has been a popular name during head coach interviews, making it even more likely that teams have done their homework and seen that the Rams defense did not fall apart without Jalen Ramsey, Bobby Wagner, and Leonard Floyd.

The best job for Morris could be Washington because he’s worked there before, there’s new ownership in place, and the Commanders have the second overall pick in the draft. He would likely have a couple of years of leeway to develop the roster from the ground up.

Edited by HigSkin

10 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

It feels like everyone is just spitballing and giving interviews guessing because people/they need clicks.

Nobody knew what Tomlin was going to do until he told the players. Nobody knows what Jerry Jones is going to do about McCarthy. Nobody knows if Sirianni is staying or going with the Eagles. Nobody knows whats happening with Antoniok Pierce and the Raiders. 

Jones was honest about it.  So I appreciate it when he said he was guessing versus what he heard.  

Keim rarely spitballs.  He did nail it about Peters but wasn't 100% sure and said so.  Also nailed it on they want leadership above all as the top quality in the HC. 

He and Sheehan seem to be the only ones plugged in with the new ownership.  Sheehan nailed the thought it was happening today as to the GM hire.

Listening to Keim on this it's more or less.

A.  They like Johnson.  But he's not the slam dunk choice, there are multiple intriguing options.  But for whatever reasons he doesn't get into who those others are.

B.  He doesn't know if Johnson will feel this is his best spot.  He did say that Johnson likes this spot but implied isn't sure one way or another if its his top one.

C.  He thinks the actual interviews can be a game changer one way or another so for that reason don't lock into one favorite.  The interviews have to happen first.

Bram mentioned the other day he understands there are 2-3 ones they really like but didn't elaborate aside from talking about Johnson.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Raheem morris would be a disaster hire… not because I don’t like him as a HC but because we would then be unable to hire Johnson, slowik, or any of the other young gun coordinators. 

I don’t understand how anyone could mention Staley with a straight face. He was an awful head coach. 

looking at who Harris has brought in here- he doesn’t seem at all interested in an unsuccessful retread. 

I have futures wagers on the lions and Texans, but I’d gladly accept them being KOd this weekend if it means expediting this hire.

Staley would be a good DC hire - not sure about here, but somewhere. I can’t see him getting HC looks this cycle. 

If Dallas cleans house, and Quinn is out, he could move to the top of the list for D coordinator.

BTW, who was the Dallas DC a few years ago who ended up getting a lot of HC interviews? 

EDIt: Kris Jenkins. He was a hot name a few years ago and was out of the league last season.

Edited by Ball Security

7 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

If Morris is the guy he better have a stud OC lined up to come with him. That should be a precondition.

Agreed. That would be the same for any defensive minded candidate - what’s their plan for the offensive side of the ball. 

By the same token I’d think a lot of any interview with Johnson would be talking about his plan for the defensive side of the ball.

• Like 2

Just now, lavar1156 said:

If Morris is the guy he better have a stud OC lined up to come with him. That should be a precondition.

• Klint Kubiak
  • Frank Smith (see if you can sway him with playcalling duties if he doesn't get a head coaching job)
  • Adam Stenavich (see if you can sway him with playcalling duties - he doesn't have them in Green Bay)
  • Kliff Kingsbury
  • Zac Robinson
  • Darrell Bevell

I’m pulling for Slowik at this point. Jo’s offense along with what he’s done with Stroud is top notch in my book. His work speaks for itself.

the question is if he’s a leader of a team or just the squad he currently has. 

also has a Peters connection and isn’t opposed to using analytics. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, MartinC said:

Agreed. That would be the same for any defensive minded candidate - what’s their plan for the offensive side of the ball. 

With the previous ownership I think this would definitely be a concern. I just think with Peters they are not going to latch on to any big name they can get in here, this question and more will be asked and answered to their satisfaction. I truly believe we are in adult hands now. Kind of hard to get used to but very refreshing. 

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

I hope the Lions lose (don't think they will) so we can put this bed one way or the other.  Then we can get on to disagreeing about who the assistant coaches should be.  LOL 

If they lose someone will say why are we going after Johnson....he lost.  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I’m pulling for Slowik at this point. Jo’s offense along with what he’s done with Stroud is top notch in my book. His work speaks for itself.

the question is if he’s a leader of a team or just the squad he currently has. 

also has a Peters connection and isn’t opposed to using analytics. 

I like him too, he's my 1B behind Johnson but it sounds like we should be preparing for any of the candidates.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I hope the Lions lose (don't think they will) so we can put this bed one way or the other.  Then we can get on to disagreeing about who the assistant coaches should be.  LOL 

I made a futures bet that the Lions and Bills play in the Super Bowl. If it hits, I can take a lot of time off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So me and @Voice_of_Reason and who else here isn't jumping off a bridge if they hire Raheem?  He's #4 on my list so I have ones I prefer over him.  But it doesn't feel like a disaster hire to me.   It feels like @RWJ is warming up to him though. 😎

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/los-angeles-rams-coach-raheem-morris-candidate-commanders-chargers-lions-playoffs

"He's been the same great coach that I've always known. He's a great leader. He elevates people and situations that he's a part of and I think that's the greatest sign of leadership," McVay said about Morris. "We always talk about trying to help guys reach and realize their highest potential. I think we're seeing a lot of growth and development from a lot of people that he has an influence on."

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2024/1/8/24030435/rams-raheem-morris-commanders-head-coach-interview

Though the Rams defense has not been elite, Morris is a Super Bowl-winning coordinator and he took over the cheapest and least experienced roster in the NFL in 2023 on defense and helped L.A. make the playoffs by ranking roughly average in most categories. It is probably more impressive that Morris has an average defense with this roster than if he had a top-5 defense with a group that had many $20 million per year players and first round picks.

Aaron Donald is the only former first or second round pick on the Rams entire defense.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This summarizes Bram's take 

Sure, maybe, just maybe Johnson humors Tepper "Psycho" (i.e., his actions have been well documented and filmed) and attends the virtual meeting or maybe even an in-person meeting but I believe he interviews here first and is blown away by the assurances. I am speculating but Adam Peters went nowhere else but here and was sold on what Harris and associates (advisors and minority owners) are wanting here and canceled all other interviews and was on board as GM.  That's how I think it plays out with Ben Johnson and he becomes our HC.  I am speculating.  :)    

13 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Staley would be a good DC hire - not sure about here, but somewhere. I can’t see him getting HC looks this cycle. 

Staley with Slowik would be a nice coaching package. Staley not gonna get another shot as HC. He runs a modified version of the Fangio defense and is a smart guy. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I like him too, he's my 1B behind Johnson but it sounds like we should be preparing for any of the candidates.

Right in line with you, HigSkin.  :)  

• Like 1