Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I was all in all the way through. I think I was the last standing defender of Kyle and took many body blows for it in 2013.  It shows you how much the league thought of him, because of the way it ended here, he went to Cleveland, and then quit at the end of the year because of some tiff with the coach/ownership, I can't remember.  And STILL got a 4th OC job (he was the OC in Houston before he came here) with Atlanta.  

I get that the league gives guys opportunity after opportunity, but 2013 and 2014 weren't exactly great looks from the outside looking in. However, it appears as though the league blamed Dan and whoever was in Cleveland more than Kyle.  And then the rocket ship REALLY took off after that.  

I was a Dan critic for eons including pre Shanny.  But i did have some temporary insanity (my last dose of it relating to Dan) siding with RG3 versus Shanny at the time.  In retrospect, I was clearly wrong.  I did love the Shanny hire at the time.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

10 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Who are the minority candidates that we are interviewing? They would need to be available for in person interviews before we can hire Johnson or whoever.

I might be wrong but I believe we are interviewing Morris,  at least I've seen his name on several potential candidate lists

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Macdonald and Slowik are tied right now at #1

Johnson is #2

I don't have a 3 at the moment, but I know I do not want Bill B, Harbaugh or Dan Quinn. 

Technically since you have a tie at #1, Johnson would be your #3. :P

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mcdonald is my #3. 

Beliichick and Harbaugh I gather aren't coming here.  As for Quinn, he's last for me on the list they are interviewing.  But if they hire him, I'll trust it.  Will see. 

1. Ben Johnson

2. Bobby Slowik

3. Raheem Morris (I think anybody who gets to spend time with McVay gets a leg up.  And he matched wits with Ben Johnson almost to a stalemate.  Very impressive.)

4. Macdonald

5. Aaron Glenn

6. ** I know NOTHING about Weaver.  But I'll put him here.

7. Dan Quinn

I wouldn't be surprised if they expand the search and talk to the OC from Tampa at some point, who's done a great job with Baker. 

I don't think they're going to go for Vrabel, Harbaugh or Belichick.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Gibbs II was the best coach under Snyder.

I think if Gibbs II was 10 or 15 years younger he could have really made a difference. He could still communicate with players but I think the X's and O's as well as the free agency side of things had passed him by.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Technically since you have a tie at #1, Johnson would be your #3. :P

1. Ben Johnson

2. Bobby Slowik

3. Raheem Morris (I think anybody who gets to spend time with McVay gets a leg up.  And he matched wits with Ben Johnson almost to a stalemate.  Very impressive.)

4. Macdonald

5. Aaron Glenn

6. ** I know NOTHING about Weaver.  But I'll put him here.

7. Dan Quinn

I wouldn't be surprised if they expand the search and talk to the OC from Tampa at some point, who's done a great job with Baker. 

I don't think they're going to go for Vrabel, Harbaugh or Belichick.  

1.  Ben Johnson.  Seems like complete coach profile wise.  X's and O's playcall caller, leadership skills, personality.  He's the dude profile wise that gives me zero concerns

2.  Slowik.  I like the Kyle pedigree, groomed a young QB, seems like a nice guy.  Got concerns about whether he's a leader of men but I'll trust the FO to ferret that out

3.  McDonald.  Seems like a young defensive genius, seems like a nice guy.  Don't have a good read on his leadership skills one way or another

4.  Raheem Morris.  His reputation as to leadership-motivational skills seems off the charts.  Kyle and Sean swear by him.  Concerns -- I've never assoiciated him as being an X's and O's genius type but i don't know.

5. Weaver -- I know almost nothing about him.

6. Glenn.  Don't know much about him, heard he's a great motivator but his defenses aren't always that hot

7.  Quinn -- good defenses for Dallas, but not always in big games.  Have heard he's not the best game day manager.  Some sell him hard as a motivator but I haven't cared enough to dive into that narrative

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

I think if Gibbs II was 10 or 15 years younger he could have really made a difference. He could still communicate with players but I think the X's and O's as well as the free agency side of things had passed him by.

Or, if GIbbs didn't have Cerrato or Snyder.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was a Dan critic for eons including pre Shanny.  But i did have some temporary insanity (my last dose of it relating to Dan) siding with RG3 versus Shanny at the time.  In retrospect, I was clearly wrong.  I did love the Shanny hire at the time.

I remember souring on Mike Shanahan in the 2013 season when he was CLEARLY sending up ballistic missiles at Dan and Robert every game day.  That was massively off-putting.  And it's at that point when I knew the Mike Shanahan era had to end.  

In retrospect, of the 3 main players in the demise of the 2012/2013 team, all three acted like 4 year olds who were just told to turn off the TV and ended up throwing a tantrum.  Dan, Robert and Mike were all at fault.  Interestingly, you didn't hear much from Kyle through that.  Some things here and there, but he basically kept his mouth shut publicly and let pops throw the hay makers.  

I liked the Shanahan hire, but what IMMEDIATELY concerned me was the choices he made on the defensive side of the ball, which looked all too familiar with what he did in Denver, which was his demise there.  Not just Haz, but personnel, assistant coaches, the unnecessary switch to the 3-4, etc.  (I like the 3-4, but we didn't have the personnel to run it, we didn't acquire the personnel to run it, and we had no coaches who had ever coached it.  It was totally bizarre.)

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

1.  Ben Johnson.  Seems like complete coach profile wise.  X's and O's playcall caller, leadership skills, personality.  He's the dude profile wise that gives me zero concerns

2.  Slowik.  I like the Kyle pedigree, groomed a young QB, seems like a nice guy.  Got concerns about whether he's a leader of men but I'll trust the FO to ferret that out

3.  McDonald.  Seems like a young defensive genius, seems like a nice guy.  Don't have a good read on his leadership skills one way or another

4.  Raheem Morris.  His reputation as to leadership-motivational skills seems off the charts.  Kyle and Sean swear by him.  Concerns -- I've never assoiciated him as being an X's and O's genius type but i don't know.

5. Weaver -- I know almost nothing about him.

6. Glenn.  Don't know much about him, heard he's a great motivator but his defenses aren't always that hot

7.  Quinn -- good defenses for Dallas, but not always in big games.  Have heard he's not the best game day manager.  Some sell him hard as a motivator but I haven't cared enough to dive into that narrative

If Raheem can get a good OC then I would be more than fine with him as a HC. Then its like everyone has said, if he's good (the OC) he's probably gone in a couple of years. I would prefer an OC as HC for continuity's sake. 

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I remember souring on Mike Shanahan in the 2013 season when he was CLEARLY sending up ballistic missiles at Dan and Robert every game day.  That was massively off-putting.  And it's at that point when I knew the Mike Shanahan era had to end.  

In retrospect, of the 3 main players in the demise of the 2012/2013 team, all three acted like 4 year olds who were just told to turn off the TV and ended up .  Dan, Robert and Mike were all at fault.  Interestingly, you didn't hear much from Kyle through that.  Some things here and there, but he basically kept his mouth shut publicly and let pops throw the hay makers.  

I liked the Shanahan hire, but what IMMEDIATELY concerned me was the choices he made on the defensive side of the ball, which looked all too familiar with what he did in Denver, which was his demise there.  Not just Haz, but personnel, assistant coaches, the unnecessary switch to the 3-4, etc.  (I like the 3-4, but we didn't have the personnel to run it, we didn't acquire the personnel to run it, and we had no coaches who had ever coached it.  It was totally bizarre.)

Yeah I loved Shanahan as an offensive guru.

Oldfan (if you rememeber him) to his credit kept saying what about defense, defense, defense?

Eventually he wore me down on that because he took a good defense and it became bad under his watch just like his later years in Denver.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll trust the FO to ferret that out

This is how I feel about very candidate after Ben Johnson. I have:

1. Johnson. He's Lex Luger to me--the Total Package. I love everything about him.

2. Crushing Disappointment
3. Macdonald. LOVE what he's done on defense--in a league geared towards and giving every advantage and benefit to the offense, he completely dominated Johnson, Shanahan, and McDaniel--three of best offensive minds in the league.
4. Slowik. Like you SIP, concerns about his personality, experience, and if he's a HC or a great OC.
5. Morris. He's rising. I love Slowik's play calling, but there is more to the top job than play calling. Morris may pass him.

6. Quinn. He's dropping. Plus I think he ends up in Seattle or Dallas

7. Belicheck. "It's NOT Belichick!" gif.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I loved Shanahan as an offensive guru.

Oldfan (if you rememeber him) to his credit kept saying what about defense, defense, defense?

Eventually he wore me down on that because he took a good defense and it became bad under his watch just like his later years in Denver.

Way off topic but i remember oldfan, I was only a lurker at the time but anyone know what happened to him?

My thing about Macdonald and why he is at #1 is he completely ate both Johnson and Slowik's lunch this season. Now to be fair, Houston is a really young and less talented team and it was their first game of the season but he simply outcoached the other side in BOTH games against Detroit and Houston. The Lions could not do anything offensively 

It was Ravens 38, Lions 6

And Ravens 29, Texans 9

I am excited about Saturday because I want to see what Slowik has learned from that 1st meeting and how he adjusts.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Dallas is in the same boat. They both built for a SB run and failed miserably. The Giants are just miserable. The NFCE will be available to win next year imo.

The extremely unlikely and fortunate series of events that unfolded for us draft and front-office wise combo-ing into an absolute implosion for the rest of the division is just delicious.

I guess one of them could steal our would-be coach now, that'd be bad, but we'll see...

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Ironically, Jay might be the best head coach this franchise has had in the past 20 years. 

Others have posted:

1. Gibbs II - 2 playoff appearances, 1 win. Best of the Dan era by a good bit.  

2. Marty - Ironically the only coach to have a .500 record under Dan.  And then went on to have a 14-2 team with the Chargers a few years later, then get fired by an idiot GM in a GM Centric approach who hired Norv Turner of all people to replace him.  This might be why I HATE the GM controls everything approach, or at least where that hatred started.  

--- Both of these were MILES ahead of number 3

3. Shanahan or Jay, take your pick.  I go Mike, others might go Jay.  Mike had a legit QB for 1 year and they won 10 games.  Jay never won 10 games.  Jay had a legitimate QB for 3 years and they won 9, 8 and 7 games in that order.  Got worse every year.  Also, McVay was VERY involved in the 2015/2016 success.  I could see arguments both ways. I take Mike.  It's close.  

4. Whichever one you didn't pick at 3.  

5. Ron's first 3 years.  I give him the benefit of having to deal with COVID, Cancer, Social Injustice protests, name change, ownership turmoil between Dan and his minority owners, bad press daily about Dan, and eventual sale.  That context bumps him up the list SLIGHTLY from the bottom 2, though the last year was probably as bad as Zorn's 2009 and Spurrier's 2003.

Clowns: Spurrier and Zorn.  They don't get ranked, they just get the designation of clown. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1