Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

I've tried to search on the topic but haven't been able to find anything in any news articles or such. Has there been any discussion on if Slowik or Johnson would call their own plays as head coach? Any thoughts on who they would bring in as OC?

It's a damn good thing I'm not the one hiring the head coach because I have no clue who I like the most. One minute it's Slowik, then next minute its Johnson,  and 30 minutes later McDonald moves to the top of my list.  There's things I like about all 3 of them,  and I believe any of them are better than what we've had for the last 4 years.  As of 9am this morning I think I have Johnson #1,  McDonald #2, and Slowik #3........I know,  my list is completely different from last night but it's like trying to decide what to order on a restaurant menu, it all looks good 🤣🤣

Edited by DazedSkinsfan
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

It's a damn good thing I'm not the one hiring the head coach because I have no clue who I like the most. One minute it's Slowik, then next minute its Johnson,  and 30 minutes later McDonald moves to the top of my list.  There's things I like about all 3 of them,  and I believe any of them are better than what we've had for the last 4 years.  As of 9am this morning I think I have Johnson #1,  McDonald #2, and Slowik #3........I know,  my list is completely different from last night but it's like trying to decide what to order on a restaurant menu, it all looks good 🤣🤣

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4727kap21kobutqrce6f

I like Ben Johnson I just have to finish shaking off this one from my mind

270px-Ben_Johnson_2017_(cropped).jpg

• Haha 3

Slowik and a rookie QB suddenly looks like an excellent combination, doesn't it?

The unknown factor with any of these guys is their managerial prowess. The HC isn't supposed to be the guy drawing up the plays or doing the frontline teaching; he's managing the guys who do that. It's a completely different skill set. That's why the interviews are so important.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, profusion said:

Slowik and a rookie QB suddenly looks like an excellent combination, doesn't it

That's what I was thinking last night.  Yeah Stroud ended up being way better than many of us expected but the job Slowik has done creating a system for him and that offense has been amazing.  Like you said though,  can he manage the entire team and coaches is the big question 

• Like 1

While Johnson is my first choice, I like that Slowik has experience on the defensive side of the ball.  Makes him uniquely qualified to be the head coach of the entire team and not a glorified play caller.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, yankstrat said:

While Johnson is my first choice, I like that Slowik has experience on the defensive side of the ball.  Makes him uniquely qualified to be the head coach of the entire team and not a glorified play caller.

Understanding X's and O's on both sides is helpful.

But can he run a whole team?  People skills.  Motivational skills.  Leadership skills.  

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Understanding X's and O's on both sides is helpful.

But can he run a whole team?  People skills.  Motivational skills.  Leadership skills.  

For the first time in forever, I feel like our interview process will bear that out. I can actually trust in their decision, even if *gasp* it’s a defensive coach. It won’t be the “best we can get.”

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

For the first time in forever, I feel like our interview process will bear that out. I can actually trust in their decision, even if *gasp* it’s a defensive coach. It won’t be the “best we can get.”

Agree.  I don't pretend I have a grasp on any of these personalities.

Purely based on reading and hearing things about them, I have some opinions.  But its nothing like actually meeting these people and having a lot more information to digest about these guys of course.  I'll trust whatever they do.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wunderhill said:

I've tried to search on the topic but haven't been able to find anything in any news articles or such. Has there been any discussion on if Slowik or Johnson would call their own plays as head coach? Any thoughts on who they would bring in as OC?

Both Johnson and Slowik call plays in their current orgs.

I'd naturally assume that they would both call plays when they assume the title of HC, and the OC would be more of an assistant. Something not too far off from what Andy Reid does with the Chiefs.

There is no guarantee it shakes out this way, but when you have the kind of success these guys have had as playcallers, Its probably the most likely pathway.

3 minutes ago, profusion said:

Slowik and a rookie QB suddenly looks like an excellent combination, doesn't it?

The unknown factor with any of these guys is their managerial prowess. The HC isn't supposed to be the guy drawing up the plays or doing the frontline teaching; he's managing the guys who do that. It's a completely different skill set. That's why the interviews are so important.

Going under the radar because all the buzz around Johnson, I’d be absolutely delighted if Slowik got the gig.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

It's a damn good thing I'm not the one hiring the head coach because I have no clue who I like the most. One minute it's Slowik, then next minute its Johnson,  and 30 minutes later McDonald moves to the top of my list.  

Well I think after tonight the decision will be much easier for you between Slowik & Johnson, cause after the display the Texans put on yesterday against arguably the best Defense in the NFL I can’t see Johnson doing the same against the Rams, in fact I think the Rams win the game, and then as far as McDonald is concerned it appears the Ravens will host the Texans next weekend (can’t see Steelers beating the Bills) so it will be between Slowik and his Offensive play calling and McDonald and his Defensive Scheme, that game next weekend should not only be to advance to the AFC Ship but who becomes our next HC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If we do get a defensive HC Id like a veteran experienced OC that has little chance of getting a HC gig. Someone like Frank Reich. 

Exactly… that way he won’t be taken away in several years… and I think there are plenty out there, in fact the guy from Seattle (heard it was told to their Coordinators to start looking for other opportunities) there’s plenty out there that none of us know about 

Edited by Command The 414

5 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I could dig seeing McDonald paired up with Reich.......See here I am changing my mind again lol 🤣🤣

Reich would be great as a OC, there’s no doubt he won’t be called for any HC gig in the near future or at all, but would he come back? When he was fired he said he’s pretty sure that’s it for him coaching (was that being a HC or Coaching in general)

Edited by Command The 414

Development of young Qb is important but its more important to get a leader of men who can build this team for the long run.

I mean you think the Bills regret hiring Sean Mcdermott over Josh Mcdaniels and Adam Gase?

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Development of young Qb is important but its more important to get a leader of men who can build this team for the long run.

I mean you think the Bills regret hiring Sean Mcdermott over Josh Mcdaniels and Adam Gase?

Not 1 bit, you’re right we need a leader, not necessarily a X’s & O’s guy, we need the complete package… I can see where Ryans for the Texans is both… first a leader then a coach (specially for the Defense) we need that here so so bad 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

So just a random thought and it might sound silly,  but someone asked earlier if we hired Johnson or Slowik would they run the offense?? I'm not sure how I feel about someone as young as Johnson calling the offense on top of running the entire team. Obviously the guy is a offensive guru and more than capable of doing it,  but how do you feel about bringing on a older OC like Reich to pair up with Johnson?? Do you think it would be too much of a clash of personalities? I know it would probably serve a new young head coach well to have a good balance of youth and experience on his staff.

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If we do get a defensive HC Id like a veteran experienced OC that has little chance of getting a HC gig. Someone like Frank Reich. 

I don't agree with this. The point of having a first-class FO is that there is a constant talent pipeline of coaches moving up within the organization. You want the BEST coaches, and those guys are going to get opportunities elsewhere. That's a good thing. When they do, it's next man up. Let's start developing a coaching tree, not trying to be beneficiary of someone else's.

7 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

So just a random thought and it might sound silly,  but someone asked earlier if we hired Johnson or Slowik would they run the offense?? I'm not sure how I feel about someone as young as Johnson calling the offense on top of running the entire team. Obviously the guy is a offensive guru and more than capable of doing it,  but how do you feel about bringing on a older OC like Reich to pair up with Johnson?? Do you think it would be too much of a clash of personalities? I know it would probably serve a new young head coach well to have a good balance of youth and experience on his staff.

Id let someone like Johnson or Slowik run the offense and bring in a veteran defensive coach to run that side of the ball and assist in any team management aspects. Kinda like how Sean Mcvay hired Wade Phillips.

Just now, profusion said:

I don't agree with this. The point of having a first-class FO is that there is a constant talent pipeline of coaches moving up within the organization. You want the BEST coaches, and those guys are going to get opportunities elsewhere. That's a good thing. When they do, it's next man up. Let's start developing a coaching tree, not trying to be beneficiary of someone else's.

I agree. Reich would just be for the QBs infancy years. Ideally wed have a young position coach who can eventually become OC.

• Like 1