Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But they know the truth, that the 36-year-old Macdonald, with considerable help from a rising group of stars led by Roquan Smith, Hamilton and Justin Madubuike, has built a defense that might stand among the best in Ravens history. And he will likely be rewarded, if not this offseason then sometime soon, with his own team to shape.

Macdonald’s tactical signatures have become familiar. He’s more deceiver than bully, spinning “lies” to the offense in the form of cornerbacks blitzing from the edge and 350-pound nose tackles dropping into zone coverage. Defensive tackles stunt around inside linebackers. Nickel backs delay an extra beat before rushing from the slot. Was that 338-pound Travis Jones lining up at defensive end against the fleet 49ers? Yes, and he helped bother Purdy into an interception.

“They do a lot of varied defenses,” Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel, one of the best young offensive minds in the sport, told Miami reporters. “I’ve been so impressed with the defense now compared to the last time we played them, and they were a very good defense then.”

Players dig the unfamiliar roles Macdonald thrusts them into, the way he asks them to attack at the moment the offense least expects it. Even if an opponent gouges them early, as the 49ers did, they trust they’ll get in more licks by the end of the night.

“The way Mike called the game is second to none in this league,” Smith said after the win. “I just love playing in this defense.”

The Pro Bowl linebacker, who speaks Macdonald’s plans into existence on the field, expanded Thursday: “I just think he’s a wizard. He finds out what teams struggle with, teams’ weaknesses and our strengths, and he’s able to make those into a game plan situation. And just having everybody on the same page throughout the week and on game day, just ready to rock and roll. I think it’s pretty sweet.”

Players gush about how tactics that look complicated on game day sound simple during the week when Macdonald teaches them.

“He just makes sense,” outside linebacker Odafe Oweh said. “If something works, why would you not want to do it?”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2023/12/29/ravens-mike-macdonald-head-coach-candidate/

And who can we give the credit to or most of it too?  Joe Hortiz, IMO.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

He's among the ones am interested in but am not married to him as the choice. 

The cans are dragging behind the car for me.  LOL :) 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd guess Decosta if its personnel.  Hortiz is the Robin not the Batman.

But Robin has to spread his wings and fly away, right?  Hortiz has learned from Decosta, Ozzie and others. He's readier than he'll ever be.  Harris doesn't pull the trigger on a Hortiz, GM and MacDonald, HC.  He'd be ignorant, IMO.  That's my take, my friend. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Browns had a good year, this year, yes?  Hortiz was interviewed by the Giants in 2022 and there are a lot of people on twitter that are sorry they didn't hire him as their new GM then.

Andrew Berry is the Browns GM now (hired from Philly).  I think he and his front office have done an excellent job.  Browns org has done a 180.  Savage was a few GMs ago. 

Hotiz might be awesome.  Sounds like some personnel guys swear by him.  I’d be open to his hiring, just saying he’s unproven as a GM, and other guys from a similar Ravens role haven’t worked out.  I’m sure there’s other factors involved (owner, etc.). I’d rather hire an unknown guy like Hortiz, than a retread GM that didn’t get it done on initial attempt. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's among the ones am interested in but am not married to him as the choice. 

Perhaps MacDonald would bring along an older offensive coordinator with a long pedigree who wouldn't be looking to jump to a HC gig right away. Just trying to justify hiring a defensive HC without worrying about his OC leaving quickly.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 12.39.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 12.40.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 12.40.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 12.40.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 12.41.16 PM.png

"I just think he's a wizard," Smith said. "He more so finds out what teams struggle with, (what) a team’s weakness is and our strength and being able to make those into a game plan situation."

There's a noticeable contrast between Macdonald and Todd Monken, Baltimore's 57-year-old offensive coordinator, when the two talk to reporters on Thursdays. If anything, it's Monken — with his entertaining candor and occasional profanity — who sounds more like the stereotypical defensive coach. But Macdonald's reserved demeanor doesn't reflect his team's aggression level.

The Ravens have an NFL-high 54 sacks. It's hard to believe, but there were actually some concerns about the pass rush coming into the season. Baltimore signed Jadeveon Clowney in mid-August, and he's been terrific. So has Kyle Van Noy, who didn't come on board until late September.

That pass rush will be tested against the Dolphins, given Tua Tagovailoa's ability to release the ball quickly. Miami won't be at full strength, with standout receiver Jaylen Waddle ruled out Friday because of an ankle injury. Star safety Kyle Hamilton (knee) is questionable for the Ravens after missing practice Friday.

"Something we’re always stressing is marrying the rush and coverage together," Macdonald said. "It’s easy to say, we want to disguise and lie to the quarterback, but if it’s a progression read, it’s very difficult if they’re just looking at spots, and his eyes are very disciplined. Obviously, they have really fast guys that they can create space. We’re going to try our best to try and disrupt some timing and obviously our rushing coverage."

Baltimore's defense passed one big test against the 49ers, but another one awaits. If the Ravens come through again, teams in search of a new head coach may take notice.

"We’ve got to finish out what we’ve started here, but if that were to happen, it would be much deserved," Hamilton said. "He's a young, bright star in our league, and just like the players are executing at a high level, so is he, and we don’t do that without him and all the other people on the staff."

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/mike-macdonalds-defense-in-baltimore-has-him-rising-as-a-possible-head-coaching-candidate

Similar articles were written about former-Chargers coach Brandon Staley, when he coached the Rams Super Bowl winning defense.  Don’t think you know with these guys until they get the HC gig. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

But Robin has to spread his wings and fly away, right?  Hortiz has learned from Decosta, Ozzie and others. He's readier than he'll ever be.  Harris doesn't pull the trigger on a Hortiz, GM and MacDonald, HC.  He'd be ignorant, IMO.  That's my take, my friend. 

Probably but we don't know.  I know some of what I read about him but this ownership will end up knowing a lot more.

There have been a number of Robin to the Batman dudes who have flamed out elsewhere when they became Batman.

I like the 2nd banana guys from good organizations in theory so am good with Hortiz if that's who they like.  But Decosta was sort of a legend well before he took over that GM spot as an evaluator so its reasonable for me to think its him and not Hortiz leading the evaluations.

Conversely, I've heard Adam Peters is the key evaluator in SF even though he doesn't have the title.

giphy.gif

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Probably but we don't know.  I know some of what I read about him but this ownership will end up knowing a lot more.

There have been a number of Robin to the Batman dudes who have flamed out elsewhere when they became Batman.

I like the 2nd banana guys from good organization in theory so am good with Hortiz if that's who they like.  But Decosta was sort of a legend well before he took over that GM spot as an evaluator so its reasonable for me to think its him and not Hortiz leading the evaluations.

Conversely, I've heard Adam Peters is the key evaluator in SF even though he doesn't have the title.

giphy.gif

Time will tell, SIP.  I will say this.  If we were even fortunate to land Peters from SF, I would be estatic with him too!  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I’m cool with interviewing folks from the Ravens, but no guarantee that model will be successful. 

The Browns previously hired Ravens’ Phil Savage as GM, and the Jags hired Ravens’ Shaq Harris as GM.  Neither worked out. Both worked for Ozzie.

The Colts hired Ravens DC Chuck Pagano as HC, while the Jets hired Ravens DC Rex Ryan as HC. Neither was super successful. 

To me, you’re taking a risk anytime you hire an unproven GM or HC.  Doesn’t mean it can’t work, but I’d definitely personally be interested in potential folks who’ve had proven success (Harbaugh, BB, etc).

I get your point that no inexperienced hire is a guarantee, but your examples a bit dated.  Most recent one was a hire that happens 12 years ago.

Its equally true that just because someone had success as GM or HC in one situation, doesn’t mean they will be successful in a different situation.

I don't think Harris is a dummy. These reports linking Belichick to the Commanders I feel is a bunch of bull. Harris would lose even more of the fan base if he picked a coach who also wanted to be the defacto GM. We keep hearing how Harris wants to model us after the Ravens and a Belichick hire would be the complete opposite. I just don't see that happening. Belichick or any other coach who wanted total control.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I get your point that no inexperienced hire is a guarantee, but your examples a bit dated.  Most recent one was a hire that happens 12 years ago.

Its equally true that just because someone had success as GM or HC in one situation, doesn’t mean they will be successful in a different situation.

I agree with this.  Look at our franchise as a perfect example.  I don’t think there’s any guarantee in hiring no matter which way they go.  

One concern I have as a fan, is I feel like our fan base just wants to see us do something different than Snyder did. I get that.  But based on the available candidates, and the newfound attractiveness of this job, that may not be the best call here.  Dan never had the option to go after Harbough or BB.   I don’t think Coach-centric is necessarily wrong, but I do think in Rivera, Dan hired the wrong guy for that role.  Ron hired his agent’s client for GM, as opposed to going after the best possible guy. He made a lot of “I’ll do it because I want to” type of decisions (hiring Turner over KOC).  

Also, it’s quite possible that NO model would’ve worked under Dan. He was legitimately that poisonous. 

I like the idea of evaluating the Philly and Baltimore models and think that’s a smart move. I still think they need to hire the right people though, which may not necessarily be from those organizations.  If someone is proven, successful, and available, I believe they deserve serious consideration, which it sounds like is the decision Harris made when he hired Morey for the 76ers.

Edited by Andre The Giant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

Similar articles were written about former-Chargers coach Brandon Staley, when he coached the Rams Super Bowl winning defense.  Don’t think you know with these guys until they get the HC gig. 

You don't know anything about the circumstances though because you just compared him to Staley. 

Staley inherited a Wade Phillips built defense on a team that sold out to win a title and had ONE year as a pro coordinator.  

McDonald was hired to improve Michigan and beat Ohio State after Don Brown just couldn't adjust to the times. McDonald was part of a massive culture and attitude shift at Michigan. And after that he went to Baltimore to be coordinator.  Keep in mind that John Harbaugh told his brother to choose between him and Minter. Both are great coordinators at the college level and McDonald proves it at the pro level.  

One thing that stands out to me is this organization was so dysfunctional it could no longer even make bold fast decisions like hiring Kyle Shanahan or McVay. But even that is marrying oneself to a trend.  The offensive coordinator hire has its merits but they are as likely to flame out.  What you want is people not just saying a guy is a good coach but is creative,  innovative,  a master of details and dealing with players.  

I find that a defensive or special teams coach (Harbaugh of the Ravens) may represent a way to maintain continuity at least on the non offensive side as every offensive guy on a successful team gets scooped up except Bienemy. 

More importantly, I think this team showed how behind the time it has been by drafting Alabama players. Yes they get talent but they got by too long on that superiority and their development and organizational model seems stagnant.

The WCs should be looking at the Michigan-Baltimore pipeline.

A long time ago this board talked about Eric Dacosta and others with Baltimore. It's time to dive in as I think their model is superior to Philadelphia or KC and Baltimore now gives you a possible entree with one of the premier college organizational cultures in the country. 

Just a few interesting observations regarding the Offensive vs Defensive HC debate.

All 8 (100%) participants in the past 4 Superbowls have been offensive Head Coaches.  This season 10 of the 14 (71.4%) teams with a chance at 10 wins have offensive Head Coaches.  Overall within the NFL, 19 of the 32 (59.4%) teams started the season with offensive Head Coaches.

It’s definitely a heavy trend that has been successful.  Do you try to ride that wave, or do you zig when everyone else is zagging?

Personally, in a vacuum, I prefer an offensive HC who can pair with a good QB and provide continuity on that side of the ball.

• Like 1

Here's a hypothesis totally untested.

Because of the offensive orientation of today's NFL it produces at least two observable effects:

1. Hiring offensive coaches is the norm. Corollary: the statistics cited above happen in a league where offensive coaches are most likely to last lead. 

2. Due to rules and system changes (mobile QBs were once just a bonus,  college spread and read option used to be a detriment as recently as a decade ago), it is likely seen as the best way to invigorate a moribund offensive team to hire a new "genius" coordinator. Looking at Shanahan it's hard to argue against it. 

However if there's one axiom it's that change is a constant 

What I think I mean is that the two greatest organizations in the NFL for last 2 decades are the Patriots and Ravens and both have been headed by non offensive guys. That's not to discount the Chiefs or Eagles but only Reid stands out as a constant whereas Eagles experienced discontinuity and change.  Patriots are on a decline because it all comes to an end and Brady the organizational leader and symbol was more important than Bill B.

3 hours ago, RVAskins said:

I don't think Harris is a dummy. These reports linking Belichick to the Commanders I feel is a bunch of bull. Harris would lose even more of the fan base if he picked a coach who also wanted to be the defacto GM. We keep hearing how Harris wants to model us after the Ravens and a Belichick hire would be the complete opposite. I just don't see that happening. Belichick or any other coach who wanted total control.

FWIW, Harris has never given any of his head coaches full personnel/GM control with the Sixers. The coach has input but not full control. He will look for great chemistry between GM and head coach.

Joel Klatt told an interesting story on The Herd this week.  John Harbaugh decided he wanted to hire McDonald back as DC and he was at Michigan.  They got together and Jim asked for his best defensive assistant back which John said was Jesse Minter.  He and McDonald ran the same scheme.  Minter now is the DC for Michigan and you could agrue both defenses are killing it in their sports.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Would be pretty cool for those of us who respect PFF.  He was also here in Washington from 2010-2013.

My only issue with Slowik is I read multiple times he's a very low key dude, not much personality.  Not that i am fixated on personality,  for example McDonald is described as more of chill type of dude but I get the impression that Slowik is super low key.

6 hours ago, FrFan said:

Hiring a cheater on and off the field sounds snyderesque, no way, Russini is out of her mind.

She hasn't had an "in" here since Scot McCloughan was giving her the inside scoop. Or is that inside dip... ?

• Haha 1