Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't know if I believe that though. I want to but I do see Mahomes forcing it to the TE. And breviously to the WR who just torched us.

Yes, Andy Reid designed and called those plays (with some input from others, always—he’s collaborative. But it’s 90% him). EB sat in an office and watched film to track tendencies like a glorified Quality Control coach. That’s the difference.

But if the speculation is true that EB is holding a grudge against Terry and "teaching him a lesson" about embarrassing him publicly with the big hit in practice, then this is a bad look for him that could have been resolved differently - the whole more flies with honey than with vinegar thingie. 

I don’t have a clue what you’re referencing here but you delve pretty deeply into dumb twitter fan scrums so I’m assuming people are arguing about this there and think it’s a “thing”. Either way it’s equally as bad as EB just being a bad OC would be.

But then again we could be seeing another playcaller being inflexible to their "system" and not being willing to mold it to their players.

This is obviously it, and is easy to see. Every advanced metric shows it as well, he does the same thing regardless of defensive personnel or alignment. It’s bad. Doesn’t use motion, doesn’t attack a defense’s known weaknesses. Stubborn and unadaptable. It’s not a mystery and people have been calling it out here since at least week 3. And it’s not just about “running the ball”, that’s a minor component. The passing game is equally broken despite the volume stats.

And maybe part of that is him still learning the players and learning to bend to their wills and learning how to bend to their wills. But how many times do we have this square peg round hole argument thingie. Now we have a elite WR looking like a bum because he made a coach mad for questioning him. 

Even if this was true, it would just mean his personality and communication skills suck as badly as his play design and playcalling does. There’s really no need to even dig deeper than his work as OC to find issue, all the personality conflict stuff aside. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, Conn said:

On the Terry point, maybe—but that would necessitate EB being a different coach/playcaller, so rightfully the locker room would feel differently. One of the major criticisms of his scheme and playcalling is that he doesn’t get guys running open and he doesn’t scheme things to funnel touches to his best players. That isn’t an accident, that is a direct representation of his philosophy and playcalling in action. So, yeah, if that (among other things) was different, Terry would feel different, and everyone else (including informed fans) would likely feel different.

So it’s not a very useful hypothetical imo. It’s like saying if I learned and applied high level math concepts, could I be a well-respected mathematician. Maybe! But I’d have to be a different guy who made different choices. 

I 100% agree with your point about using big FA dollars to bring in a couple actual culture-changing studs though. That and smaller signings plus a great draft can transform the locker room much quicker than people think—with the right leadership.  

So I

19 hours ago, Conn said:

On the Terry point, maybe—but that would necessitate EB being a different coach/playcaller, so rightfully the locker room would feel differently. One of the major criticisms of his scheme and playcalling is that he doesn’t get guys running open and he doesn’t scheme things to funnel touches to his best players. That isn’t an accident, that is a direct representation of his philosophy and playcalling in action. So, yeah, if that (among other things) was different, Terry would feel different, and everyone else (including informed fans) would likely feel different.

So it’s not a very useful hypothetical imo. It’s like saying if I learned and applied high level math concepts, could I be a well-respected mathematician. Maybe! But I’d have to be a different guy who made different choices. 

I 100% agree with your point about using big FA dollars to bring in a couple actual culture-changing studs though. That and smaller signings plus a great draft can transform the locker room much quicker than people think—with the right leadership.  

8 hours ago, Conn said:

Yes, Andy Reid designed and called those plays (with some input from others, always—he’s collaborative. But it’s 90% him). EB sat in an office and watched film to track tendencies like a glorified Quality Control coach. That’s the difference.

I don’t have a clue what you’re referencing here but you delve pretty deeply into dumb twitter fan scrums so I’m assuming people are arguing about this there and think it’s a “thing”. Either way it’s equally as bad as EB just being a bad OC would be.

This is obviously it, and is easy to see. Every advanced metric shows it as well, he does the same thing regardless of defensive personnel or alignment. It’s bad. Doesn’t use motion, doesn’t attack a defense’s known weaknesses. Stubborn and unadaptable. It’s not a mystery and people have been calling it out here since at least week 3. And it’s not just about “running the ball”, that’s a minor component. The passing game is equally broken despite the volume stats.

Even if this was true, it would just mean his personality and communication skills suck as badly as his play design and playcalling does. There’s really no need to even dig deeper than his work as OC to find issue, all the personality conflict stuff aside. 

One can only hope we can land Ben Johnson as he would be one of the best, if not the best HC we could hire but that depends on the GM.  Shen will have a say in this as he was brought in by Harris to analyze all things about the team and GM is probably one of those.  I believe it could tie back to who Shen knows. I hope Shen doesn't limit the search to who he knows but who is best for that role as the new GM. Can't wait to find out.  

8 hours ago, Conn said:

So I was moreso responding to the stuff I was hearing from Chris Russo / Russell on radio when he was trying to conspire what's going on with Terry. I could take EB or leave him. I like how he has developed Sam but don't like how his offense is inside out (working from the backs and TEs to the WRs). I would rather it work from the WRs because thats where the weapons are here, or more I'd rather he look for the mismatches in the offenses and exploit them and not just have a designed offense. But its early so I don't like judging him so soon and I felt that we are doing that too much this year with so little installed this year. I wonder how much of the offense they're getting wrong, how much are the coahces getting wrong, these aren't his coaches. That's gotta be hard on him. I wonder if Harris takes that into effect (affect). 

I still want an offensive guy to develop Howell for the coming years and I'm not off the EB wagon. I'm not 100% on it but I think he has a case. I think its more a question of how he would develop the offense around Howell. Like what's his excuse for the OL this year? Is that on Ron? What about the playmakers? Is that on Sam and his progressions or the OL and time or the Wrs and hitting their landmarks? I do wonder if we get a defensive coach if we can get EB to stay though, if they're even considering that. 

21 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I would rather it work from the WRs because thats where the weapons are here, or more I'd rather he look for the mismatches in the offenses and exploit them and not just have a designed offense. But it’s early so I don't like judging him so soon and I felt that we are doing that too much this year with so little installed this year. I

I agree 100% with the first part of the statement.  But I think the fact that he’s not doing those things, is why it’s not too early to judge him.  There is no excuse for not creating and exploiting mismatches week to week.  I’ve read a few times about EB’s long nights in Ashburn, which is what’s most alarming to me.  How are you working 18 hour days and dialing up so many duds?  Why does the first 15 never appear to be focused on exploiting the weakness of the opposing defense?  It’s hard for me to forgive some of these &goal sequences, and playcalls at critical junctures, and just chalk that up to 1st year hiccups.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

44 minutes ago, RWJ said:

One can only hope we can land Ben Johnson as he would be one of the best, if not the best HC we could hire but that depends on the GM.  Shen will have a say in this as he was brought in by Harris to analyze all things about the team and GM is probably one of those.  I believe it could tie back to who Shen knows. I hope Shen doesn't limit the search to who he knows but who is best for that role as the new GM. Can't wait to find out.  

I think the Gm will make the ultimate decision. Shen may give input but the Gm will decide who he’ll hire as coach.

When do you guys think they will get the ball rolling and hire a GM. I rather it happen before the season ends that way the new gm can't start interviewing HC candidates the day after black Monday. Don't want to lose out on the best candidates because we don't have anyone to interview them yet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Conn said:

It just seems really obvious that EB brought the IHOP sized playbook with him from KC but has no idea how to adapt those plays into an actual game plan. To think he has "develpoed" Howell is laughable. I would argue Howell has played well in spite of EB. This is essentially a lost year for Howell, he would be much further along with a better OC and of course a staff that could have built a decent O line. This year has been an utter waste of time.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Thumb up 2

18 minutes ago, djpapeleta360 said:

When do you guys think they will get the ball rolling and hire a GM. I rather it happen before the season ends that way the new gm can't start interviewing HC candidates the day after black Monday. Don't want to lose out on the best candidates because we don't have anyone to interview them yet.

After the season's over with more than likely but I would like to see it sooner so we can have a head start on finding a new HC.  

25 minutes ago, djpapeleta360 said:

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

After the season's over with more than likely but I would like to see it sooner so we can have a head start on finding a new HC.  

Interviewing and hiring GM candidates who currently work in the league is on the same timeline as HC’s, it’s the same every year. There is no way to get a head start on the process unless you hire from outside the league. It’s no biggie, teams do this every offseason. Those GM candidates are working their jobs right now until the end of the season. 

49 minutes ago, djpapeleta360 said:

Remember Rooney rule applies to Gm also.  Ron is fired on 8th. We spend next week interviewing gms and hire one by 15th.  Josh may do initial interviews with coaches. That’s what other teams did when having both a Gm and coach opening.

Since the nfl pushed back when you can have in person interviews; we got time.

I figure by the SuperBowl; we will have our new front office and coaches set; unless the coach we want is coaching in the SuperBowl.

For the record, the whole thing about Bieniemy yelling at McLaurin was from a recent article by Fowler and Keim on the Commanders season and how things have shaken out. Here's the relevant quote from that article:

But Bieniemy's approach remains a matter of some debate. In training camp, when star receiver Terry McLaurin intervened after defensive back Benjamin St-Juste hit a teammate in what McLaurin deemed an overzealous manner, Bieniemy fired an expletive warning for him to return to the huddle. McLaurin wouldn't back down, vowing to defend his teammate.

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

For the record, the whole thing about Bieniemy yelling at McLaurin was from a recent article by Fowler and Keim on the Commanders season and how things have shaken out. Here's the relevant quote from that article:

EB needs to be removed with the entire coaching staff but I will say that I believe that players aren't paid to coach.  Coaches are.  Coache's coach and player's play.  I don't like it when this happens.  A player respects his coach and can talk to him in private after practice.  It shows disrespect in front of the other teammates, IMO.  

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

EB needs to be removed with the entire coaching staff but I will say that I believe that players aren't paid to coach.  Coaches are.  Coache's coach and player's play.  I don't like it when this happens.  A player respects his coach and can talk to him in private after practice.  It shows disrespect in front of the other teammates, IMO.  

Not all people in positions of authority are worthy of unquestioning respect. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

A player respects his coach and can talk to him in private after practice.  It shows disrespect in front of the other teammates, IMO.  

It is really tough to be a hard-A coach when you have nothing to your name and are doing a job you have never done before. He is pretty much asking for blind subservience and he has diddly squat to fall back on outside of telling Andy Reid opponent tendencies.

You gotta earn relationships in the NFL.

And now that we don't have results in the season, he has even less ground to stand on.

11 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

It is really tough to be a hard-A coach when you have nothing to your name and are doing a job you have never done before. He is pretty much asking for blind subservience and he has diddly squat to fall back on outside of telling Andy Reid opponent tendencies.

You gotta earn relationships in the NFL.

And now that we don't have results in the season, he has even less ground to stand on.

He was an Offensive Coordinator by name at KC and held other coaching positions.  It doesn't matter.  This is the problems with the NFL and the world today.  A lack of respect for coaching etc. by players and in general.