Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Paddleboat Ron leaves, is promoted, or traded at the deadline, who do you want as our next coach?

Redskinscub

Demote Ron. Get a GM. Howell plays with same OC/offence for one more year. Get rid of Del Rio though. Ron and EB shown the door after their contract is over and they still suck. Not a popular choice I would imagine but that possibility does exists as well. 

Edited by zCommander

4 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

A young, nerdy, offensive minded head coach.  Anything else is unacceptable.  A McVay, McDaniels, Shanahan.  

If only we had coaches like that in the building...

plus Kevin O'Connell plus LaFleur

and ended up with the lesser Gruden and Riverbed Ron

but yeah we need a McDaniels/Shanahan type, or someone like DeMeco Ryan's who has turned the Texans around

1 hour ago, Leonard Washington said:

I hope it is someone I’ve never heard of before.

Umm why? 

Unless the implication here is that you don’t pay attention to up and coming coaches elsewhere, in which case, okay that would make sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see @Pats, home vs NYG, @Rams as the most likely games for us to pull out a win. Maybe that last game against the Cowboys if they have nothing to play for.

Assuming Dak is healthy, don't stuff yourself on Turkey Day, because Dallas is going to embarrass this team.

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Umm why? 

Unless the implication here is that you don’t pay attention to up and coming coaches elsewhere, in which case, okay that would make sense. 

That's probably what he means. Don't want someone like a Shanny or Rivera coming here who had some success with their previous teams but were massive disappointments here.

Short of the Pats cutting bait with Belichick, I have no idea which retreads who have had success would even be on the market in the offseason.

14 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Demote Ron. Get a GM. Howell plays with same OC/offence for one more year. Get rid of Del Rio though. Ron and EB shown the door after their contract is over and they still suck. Not a popular choice I would imagine but that possibility does exists as well. 

Why demote him?  He’s not going to take that.  They need to start fresh.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I really don’t think it does. And if you posted this on twitter I’d assume you were just engagement farming. Posting here, I’m not sure what your goal is. But this feels very outside the realm of possibility unless new ownership wants to be distrusted and hated immediately when they’ve been handed the cleanest slate and lowest bar in sports. 

Also, Rivera’s contract is fully guaranteed. Why on earth would he take a demotion, the guy barely looks interested in his job as-is. Just a kooky post all around. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Conn said:

I really don’t think it does. And if you posted this on twitter I’d assume you were just engagement farming. Posting here, I’m not sure what your goal is. But this feels very outside the realm of possibility unless new ownership wants to be distrusted and hated immediately when they’ve been handed the cleanest slate and lowest bar in sports. 

Also, Rivera’s contract is fully guaranteed. Why on earth would he take a demotion, the guy barely looks interested in his job as-is. Just a kooky post all around. 

I was thinking of Sam more than Ron. Demotion in responsibility and just let him coach. But there is still a remote possibility that Ron could be back if we can't get a legit HC this offseason. I was just throwing other possibilities out there. Just food for thought. I don't post on twitter, I just read. 

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I was thinking of Sam more than Ron. Demotion in responsibility and just let him coach. But there is still a remote possibility that Ron could be back if we can't get a legit HC this offseason. I was just throwing other possibilities out there. Just food for thought. I don't post on twitter, I just read. 

This staff is doing nothing for developing Sam, not helping him at all. The offense doesn’t make his life easier or have guys running open for him, doesn’t take anything off his plate. If he’s worth developing going forward at the end of this season, it will be in spite of this offense and coaching staff, not because of it. 3 offenses in 3 years is never good, but this is actively bad for him. So if he has a future, there’s no reason at all you’d want to tie him to these coaches. Stability is not inherently positive. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Conn said:

This staff is doing nothing for developing Sam, not helping him at all. The offense doesn’t make his life easier or have guys running open for him, doesn’t take anything off his plate. If he’s worth developing going forward at the end of this season, it will be in spite of this offense and coaching staff, not because of it. 3 offenses in 3 years is never good, but this is actively bad for him. So if he has a future, there’s no reason at all you’d want to tie him to these coaches. Stability is not inherently positive. 

True. I just want to see Howell with a legit OL before saying he is not it. Hopefully the new OC can design plays that can utilize Howell strengths more. That is my only concern. I guess I need to worry about that after the next 10 games are over with and see where we are first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like I said, GM comes first, but that Frank Smith profile was intriguing. People skills, young for the NFL but not so young that he hasn’t had time to soak up knowledge from older NFL legends and younger wunderkinds alike. A teacher at heart, experience coaching OL + TE, coordinating run games, and now McDaniel’s explosive Miami offense. Experience in multiple systems, believes in building the offense around players’ strengths and doing what works. Has multiple times worked and been hired onto staffs where he didn’t know his boss, so used to seeing non-relational or at least non-nepotism based hires to assemble the best staff. Accountable and doesn’t throw players under the bus, focuses on taking blame and teaching better, finding what works for individual players rather than forcing blanket solutions. Relationship builder. 

Like I said, I’m intrigued. Here are a few snippets I liked: 

Athletic article link

IMG_3546.jpeg

IMG_3543.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3544.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Conn said:

Like I said, GM comes first, but that Frank Smith profile was intriguing. People skills, young for the NFL but not so young that he hasn’t had time to soak up knowledge from older NFL legends and younger wunderkinds alike. A teacher at heart, experience coaching OL + TE, coordinating run games, and now McDaniel’s explosive Miami offense. Experience in multiple systems, believes in building the offense around players’ strengths and doing what works. Has multiple times worked and been hired onto staffs where he didn’t know his boss, so used to seeing non-relational or at least non-nepotism based hires to assemble the best staff. Accountable and doesn’t throw players under the bus, focuses on taking blame and teaching better, finding what works for individual players rather than forcing blanket solutions. Relationship builder. 

Like I said, I’m intrigued. Here are a few snippets I liked: 

Athletic article link

IMG_3546.jpeg

IMG_3543.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3544.jpeg

Thanks, Conn.  I definitely think we should and will be taking a strong look at some of the young offensive minds out there and I would start nowhere else but Miami.  The way they have brought Tua along after his abysmal start to his career has been stunning.  Do you think a coach like Smith would be more apt to keep Sam for another year and build up an o-line to really see what they have in Howell?  I do.

It'll be interesting to see which direction a new GM/HC takes with Howell. Normally regimes want their own QB, but over the last few years we've seen new coaches take over and develop/work with the guy who's already there. See McDaniel with Tua. Sirianni with Hurts. Daboll with Jones. Could even say McCarthy with Dak but Dak was already kinda established and it wouldn't have made sense to replace him. 

The difference is, those other guys were much higher draft picks with more pedigree. Howell's value is being on that 5th round rookie contract, but that will already be halfway up when the new guys take over. Is he good enough that you think you can build a contender within two years with him? Because once you have to pay him, his relative value plummets(unless he grows into a top 5 type QB). 

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Thanks, Conn.  I definitely think we should and will be taking a strong look at some of the young offensive minds out there and I would start nowhere else but Miami.  The way they have brought Tua along after his abysmal start to his career has been stunning.  Do you think a coach like Smith would be more apt to keep Sam for another year and build up an o-line to really see what they have in Howell?  I do.

I’m really not sure, but I imagine that would be a hot topic when our GM is interviewing guys like this. Lots of film study will be done to try to determine that. 

14 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Sam has a future in the nfl? It likely won’t be here. If we somehow end up with a Top 5 pick; the new regime will draft a qb. If we end  drafting lower the new regime will still bring in a qb to compete. Probably not round one, but rounds 2-4.

My guess is he'll bounce around as a random starter/backup and might eventually carve out a few good year stretch when he lands in a more stable situation and is given a chance. But he'll never be like a 5+ year quality starter let alone a Pro Bowler or anything resembling elite.

I just don't care who the next coach is.  I really don't.

IIRC, I was mildly happy when Rivera was hired because I thought he was professional, but that's about it.  It's become almost like Shanahan 2.0 around here.  I'm exhausted from re-tread coaches that have had success somewhere else that are "names."

If it's a young up and comer, great.  Good, fine, whatever.  Get a good GM.  Nail the draft each year.  Build it right.  Build a ****ing O-line for ****s sake.  

The coach is a big part of it but there's so much else that's a big part of it, too.  

KOC is a fraud and with either be fired or walk when his contract isn't extended.

As for us, RR rigged it so that it's difficult to fire him. Elevate JDR as acting HC, who's the DC? Vieselmeyer?! Young Rivera? Young Del Rio? The ranks are chock full of RR loyalists. EB ain't one of them, but he just got here 12 minutes ago, and his next gig, post-KC, should've been HC not OC.

If it were me, as I've said before, I would've thanked RR for his alleged service and fired him after the Bears game. That debacle encapsulated everything about the RR tenure with this team. It was a mini-bye, which afforded time to get things in order. Our best players no longer want to stay, and it's only going to get worse if Captain Ahab remains at the helm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Sam has a future in the nfl? It likely won’t be here. If we somehow end up with a Top 5 pick; the new regime will draft a qb. If we end  drafting lower the new regime will still bring in a qb to compete. Probably not round one, but rounds 2-4.

Why draft another QB and just discard Howell after 1 year?  Rivera and this FO woefully neglected the OL the past 2 drafts.  Instead of going DBs with their first 2 picks in the past draft, they should've provided this QB with some protection up front since the guys they've got have failed so badly.

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Like 2