Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hamas Attacks Against Israel

Fergasun

14 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

How do you suggest that they "weed" them out?

They can start by burning the Hamas and Hezbolah flags instead of the American flag. No one at the protests is yelling down the people who support Hamas/Hezbollah, that’s for sure.

14 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Are you suggesting that they use violence to deter people from protesting that show up that don't agree with many of the other protestors' views.

lol. What? That is what the protestors are suggesting.  If you want someone to respond to you genuinely don’t be disingenuous.

🤡 I guess the same way bad cops should weed out the good cops. Dox them and take away their protest membership card. 🤡

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

8 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

They can start by burning the Hamas and Hezbolah flags instead of the American flag. No one at the protests is yelling down the people who support Hamas/Hezbollah, that’s for sure.

lol. What? That is what the protestors are suggesting.  If you want someone to respond to you genuinely don’t be disingenuous.

🤡 I guess the same way bad cops should weed out the good cops. Dox them and take away their protest membership card. 🤡

Good cops should weed out bad cops by reporting their crimes and misbehavior to the police and things like internal affairs.  Burning an American flag isn't illegal.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Good cops should weed out bad cops by reporting their crimes and misbehavior to the police and things like internal affairs.  Burning an American flag isn't illegal.

I didn’t imply that it was. You asked me what they should do. If you want to argue with the clown take, feel free, it’s suiting.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

18 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I didn’t imply that it was. You asked me what they should do. If you want to argue with the clown take, feel free, it’s suiting.

They aren't protesting Hamas.  Columbia (or any other college) isn't doing things that result in supporting Hamas.  They aren't going to burn a Hamas flag because that isn't what their protest is about.

Burning the American flag isn't a crime.  If somebody shows to the protest and decides to burn the American flag, what should they do?

Edited by PeterMP

They can do whatever they want,  I’m not required to care. The question was when they should be taken seriously and the answer is never. If they want to be taken seriously maybe they should start by acting serious and showing serious understanding. 

im not really the person that has an issue here. They (and you all by extension apparently) are the ones that seem unhappy with the results. Maybe consider something other than blaming others when what you’re doing isn’t working. 

and taking queues on serious issues by disgruntled college students is probably quite the mistake but have at it 😂 

Edited by tshile

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Says the poster who's position is that every protester who's position he doesn't like should be ignored, until he can no longer find reports of one single person at the protest doing something. 

18 minutes ago, Larry said:

Says the poster who's position is that every protester who's position he doesn't like should be ignored, until he can no longer find reports of one single person at the protest doing something. 

There is a legitimate concern for how Israel is treating Palestinians. But I’m not taking a bunch of 20 something’s who don’t know **** waving Hamas flags around seriously. The message is being lost because they jumped to the extremes. Or is your point that In order to get on the news you have to act like a crazy ass?

I don’t think they should be silenced, and I’m a bit confused about why police are forcibly removing the protestors. The question wasn’t should they be allowed to protest, it was should they be taken seriously.

Like I said, if you are supporting Hezbolah or Hamas you’re either ignorant or evil, and I’m not taking anyone ignorant or evil seriously.

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

Not sure we are following the same protests.  Columbia's protest leaders have kicked out the bad apples.  

And not sure why anything but 100% deep throated support of Israel warrants upsetting people.  It's crazy USC cancelled commencement.  Their valedictorian graduated with a minor in "preventing genocide" (not sure if that was real or something fake that made it in an official article).  

Are the women and children of Gaza more or less valuable than the woman and children of Israel?  If they have the same value, than dang... killing 15000 is much worse than the 600.  

In the abstract, I think two things about conflict:

1)  The stronger country should seek to lead to peace.

2) It takes two willing parties to fight.  

And in the big picture, I fully understand why Israel goes over the top and doesn't strive for peace paths.  "Arab/Muslim countries are violent poopholes.  They don't know how to behave.  They kill each other.  They have always hated and attacked Israel."  

Neither group seems to be fighting hard for peace. 

5 hours ago, tshile said:

and taking queues on serious issues by disgruntled college students is probably quite the mistake but have at it 😂 

They are, from my understanding, for the most part demanding end to sending money and resources to Israel...a similar take to some people in congress right now.

Senators Urge Biden to Stop Arming Israel, Citing Violation of U.S. Aid Law https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/12/us/politics/democrats-biden-israel-letter.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

Bernie Sanders is Jewish, can folks really with a straight face say he doesn't understand the issue to be taken seriously, either?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

There is a legitimate concern for how Israel is treating Palestinians. But I’m not taking a bunch of 20 something’s who don’t know **** waving Hamas flags around seriously. The message is being lost because they jumped to the extremes. Or is your point that In order to get on the news you have to act like a crazy ass?

I never said anything remotely close to the horse**** you're trying to attribute to me. 

What I've done, is to respond to the positions that you have chosen to state. 

They should be ignored. Because

* College students tend to be young. 

* And "they" (meaning, you have seen cases where at least one person at one of the protests, so lets slap that label on their entire protest) have used a symbol you think they shouldn't. 

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Bernie Sanders is Jewish, can folks really with a straight face say he doesn't understand the issue to be taken seriously, either?

Well, he is Bernie Sanders. :)

I tend not to take him seriously, even when he agrees with me. 

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I never said anything remotely close to the horse**** you're trying to attribute to me. 

I’m not talking about you bro. I was talking about the protestors. 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

* And "they" (meaning, you have seen cases where at least one person at one of the protests, so lets slap that label on their entire protest) have used a symbol you think they shouldn't. 

Yea, like when Nazi’s used the swastika in Charlottesville.

And it isn’t one person and one protest. It’s several people at several protests. Maybe you haven’t been paying attention?

8 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t think they should be silenced, and I’m a bit confused about why police are forcibly removing the protestors. The question wasn’t should they be allowed to protest, it was should they be taken seriously.

Like I said, if you are supporting Hezbolah or Hamas you’re either ignorant or evil, and I’m not taking anyone ignorant or evil seriously.

But again, all of them aren't waving Hezbolah or Hamas flags.  

(Here's the link to the opinion piece I talked about with the video of the Jewish students/group that are part of the protest:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/23/opinions/columbia-university-protests-greenblatt/index.html

with no Hamas flags.)

You are ignoring the opinion of everybody that is protesting based on the actions of I don't know the % of actual protestors, and I doubt you do either.  All of them haven't jumped to extremes.  Some of them are extreme.  Ignoring the ones that haven't jumped to extremes because some of them have doesn't make any sense.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Are the women and children of Gaza more or less valuable than the woman and children of Israel?  If they have the same value, than dang... killing 15000 is much worse than the 600.  

This is such a nonsensical argument 

it’s a war and judging the goodness of either side based on how effective they are at waging war is totally nonsense. We lost just under 5k troops in Iraq and Afghanistan over 20 years and they lost hundreds of thousands. You want to use your stupid as **** metric to decide who’s good and bad in that conflict?

I generally put significantly less value on people that chose to align with terrorists. I understand why many people don’t feel that way. But I do. 

Edited by tshile

Although I do also have to say that there's some validity to the argument of

"If you go carrying pictures of chairman Mao
You ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Was Bernie sanders one of the college protestors you asked if we should take serious?

no. Of course he wasn’t. So of course he wasn’t what we’re talking about. 

also not sure what being Jewish has to do with it. I don’t value opinions differently based on whether the person is Jewish, Palestinian, etc. I have Palestinian friends - I extend the curiously of keeping my mouth shut when they discuss this because I know they have family in Gaza (meaning I totally understand how emotionally wound up over all this they are, and try to be respectful and a friend as a third party instead of engaging in the conversation like a debate.) But that’s about all ones ethnicity matters to me. 

but whether he should be taken serious as a general question? It’s probably a good idea to not take him too seriously. 

Edited by tshile

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

But again, all of them aren't waving Hezbolah or Hamas flags.  

(

I never said they did.

But it is a little convenient to allow the “not everyone had symbols of hate” defense when one group of people protests but not with other groups displaying other symbols of hate. 

Waving a Hamas flag isn’t much different that waving a Swastika symbols or SS Flag. They both mean the same thing.

3 hours ago, Larry said:

What I've done, is to respond to the positions that you have chosen to state. 

* College students tend to be young. 

* And "they" (meaning, you have seen cases where at least one person at one of the protests, so lets slap that label on their entire protest) have used a symbol you think they shouldn't

I understand what you’re saying - but I think it’s a bit disingenuous to pretend this is the only reason to write off disgruntled college students when it comes to a several decades long geopolitical cluster****. 

there are tons of things where that specific demo becomes eye roll worthy. Just like there are instances with the older generations that are eye roll worthy - or conservatives - or liberals. 

I think the demo we’re talking about does provide value in multiple ways. Especially on social issues that challenge the traditional norms of this country (racism, sexism, the lgbtq stuff) but this isn’t one of them (to me)

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I never said they did.

But it is a little convenient to allow the “not everyone had symbols of hate” defense when one group of people protests but not with other groups displaying other symbols of hate. 

Waving a Hamas flag isn’t much different that waving a Swastika symbols or SS Flag. They both mean the same thing.

it’s a double standard. People don’t have a problem pointing at the actions of a few at certain right wing protests and using it to generalize about everyone. 

one of these exact posters literally argued with me when I said not everyone that identifies as a republican is bad and evil.  

and I get the point - generalizing is bad. But miss me with the selective application of that standard.

(and to be fair - it’s a double stand many of us fall into using when it suits our needs and I’m not special and immune to that silliness anymore than anyone else)

the mental gymnastics of labeling people terrorist supporters for protesting the inhumane treatment/genocide of Palestinians because a few bad actors/anarchists jump in and want to cosplay for ****s and giggles is astounding

Being pro-Palestine ≠ terrorist supporter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

it’s a double standard. People don’t have a problem pointing at the actions of a few at certain right wing protests and using it to generalize about everyone

While there's certainly validity to the "few bad apples" defense, in some cases I think there's an argument to judging an entire group based on the extremists. 

My #1 example would be to point out the things that Republicans actually legislate. And which they legislate in every circumstance where they can. 

Where yall seeing Hamas and Hezbollah flags at these protests? I searched for it last night after reading the discussion here. In all the videos and reports I've watched and read it's been Palestinian and Israeli flags predominantly. 🤔

Edited by Captain Wiggles

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Was Bernie sanders one of the college protestors you asked if we should take serious?

no. Of course he wasn’t. So of course he wasn’t what we’re talking about. 

also not sure what being Jewish has to do with it. I don’t value opinions differently based on whether the person is Jewish, Palestinian, etc. I have Palestinian friends - I extend the curiously of keeping my mouth shut when they discuss this because I know they have family in Gaza (meaning I totally understand how emotionally wound up over all this they are, and try to be respectful and a friend as a third party instead of engaging in the conversation like a debate.) But that’s about all ones ethnicity matters to me. 

but whether he should be taken serious as a general question? It’s probably a good idea to not take him too seriously. 

The question was on the protests...some of yall jumped to the conclusion this was jus aboutnignoring college students when their teachers are no walking out too the way the colleges are jus going straight to calling ruot police.

https://www.wionews.com/world/gaza-protest-in-us-universities-faculty-members-walk-out-after-police-arrest-pro-palestinian-protesters-714014

In solidarity with the hundreds of students who have been protesting against the Gaza war inside the campus of Columbia University in New York, multiple teaching faculty members held a mass walkout on Monday (April 22) against the university's decision to allow the police to arrest students.

The members of the teaching facility walked with the students, who were arrested and suspended last week, to show their support for these pro-Palestine protesters.

8 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

the mental gymnastics of labeling people terrorist supporters for protesting the inhumane treatment/genocide of Palestinians because a few bad actors/anarchists jump in and want to cosplay for ****s and giggles is astounding

Being pro-Palestine ≠ terrorist supporter

If only you applied that same standard to others that may not align 100% with you

(I see you get the point I was making, though it’s unclear what you’ll do with that point going forward 😂)

Edited by tshile