Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

11 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

The 1.01. Not at all, Caleb Williams on a rookie deal, 5 years cheap cost control, vs Fields with a 1 and 1. I'd go Williams every time. 

We are gonna find out soon if they agree with you. Fields has been damn good the past 5 weeks. 

51 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

The surest way to get improved QB play, IMO, is to draft MHJ if he's there at 1.2.

Agreed. I remember watching MHJ playing QB, blocking for himself, and throwing himself the ball. It was amazing.

Seriously, a great WR is borderline worthless without 1) a good QB to throw him the ball and 2) an OL to protect that QB. As much as I am fan of Howell in general, I think we've basically ruined him and we have a chance to get a potential blue chip QB prospect.

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

unless in this alternate reality we had done different things with our OL Tua would be retired if we picked him

100% Tua would be in a permanent full body cast at this point if we had drafted him.

I actually think Tua may be retired within a few years anyway. This is the first season he's had in almost a decade without a relatively major injury. It's only a matter of time IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Obviously you haven't considered the glory of screwing Chicago over instead. 

Correct.  Only glory I’m concerned with is with our team winning.  Don’t care about Chicago. 

29 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

MHJ the best football player in this draft - at the X, a position we need badly.  I'd agree with you if I was comfortable that a franchise QB would be there for us.  I'm not.  Take MHJ.  Nix may be a good lottery pick in round 2 once you've got MHJ in the fold.

QB as we know is the biggest game changing position on the field -- miles over a WR.    Going for Nix, a QB in that 2nd tier would feel so deja vu for this franchise.  Reaching for the QB who isn't ballyhooed so much but hoping to get lucky -- that's mostly been the rodeo we've been on.

Most draftniks --personnel types really dig the top 3 QBs in this draft judging by everything that's being leaked.    There are a handful of people on the board who think the personnel guys are wrong about it.  

But what if the new GM agrees with the overriding take about those QBs versus the outlier positon that some here have about them?  Would you be upset or would it be OK?

I got my own opinions on these QBs which I've shared.   But guessing which QBs translate from college to the pros is the hardest position to gauge in sports according to most scouts.  So I am not riding on my opinion as for what I want them to do.  I expect a QB, I'd be shocked if they don't go QB early.  And whichever they choose, I'll trust it.  And if they shock me and don't go QB, and if that QB they skip ends up great -- that GM wrote their own pink slip as far as I am concerned.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39136559/2024-nfl-draft-quarterback-class-williams-maye-daniels-mccarthy

We spoke to more than a dozen NFL scouts and execs over the past month to size this group up. It starts at the top: Is USC's Caleb Williams a lock to go No. 1 overall? And how far behind are North Carolina's Drake Maye, LSU's Jayden Daniels, Michigan's J.J. McCarthy and the rest of the bunch? Some teams will be more focused on the next tier. How many signal-callers overall will get picked in the draft, and which midround sleeper is a favorite among evaluators?

With the help of those pro scouts and GMs, we put this QB class in perspective and took stock of the best passers

"This is a good quarterback class...said an AFC East scout with over 15 years of experience.

An AFC general manager went further, saying, "It's good at the top, but it's a bad year to need a guy after the first round. We could see four or five in the first round, one or two in the second and then none until Day 3."

The lack of depth certainly sticks out. We watched 14 quarterbacks get drafted in 2023 -- up from nine the year before -- and a record 12 of them were taken before the end of Round 5. You won't see that in 2024, thanks to injuries, unrealized expectations and a changing reality in college football as players maximize eligibility under name image likeness (NIL) and transfer rules.

I personally have four quarterbacks ranked in the top 20 overall: Williams, Maye, Daniels and McCarthy. Then I have second-round grades on Oregon's Bo Nix and Washington's Michael Penix Jr. before a drop-off to Tulane's Michael Pratt (fourth-round grade). Eleven signal-callers make my top 300 right now, which is lighter than the 15 I had in my final top 300 rankings in each of the previous two drafts. And one NFL general manager actually told me that his team's list is even shorter than mine.

"We have seven guys [ranked] right now, assuming none of the underclassmen surprise us. And that's why there will be a rush up the board to get the good ones."

Another NFL exec who has been in the industry for over 20 years tried to put it in historical perspective: "This is a better class than the last few years...[Joe] Burrow compares well to Williams. [Justin] Herbert to Maye. You could say McCarthy is this year's Tua [Tagovailoa]. Jayden Daniels is the Jalen Hurts. But 2020 had Jordan Love, too. I don't see that fifth guy this year."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

The 1.01. Not at all, Caleb Williams on a rookie deal, 5 years cheap cost control, vs Fields with a 1 and 1. I'd go Williams every time. 

I agree with you and have been thinking this way for weeks about us and whether or not to build around Howell.

As far as the Bears and Fields though, I don’t think they stay at 1.01. I think they stay with Fields and either take MHJ or trade the pick for a haul.

Something to think about… Why does Chicago trade a high 2 for a veteran Edge in Sweat if they don’t believe Fields is their guy?

2 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Would like to see the pre draft write-ups on Zac Wilson, Tribusky, Rosen, Bortles, and Darnold. 

We all exist on the same internet, go fetch ‘em homie. Looking back at previous prospects for context can definitely add value to the discussion 

3 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

I agree with you and have been thinking this way for weeks about us and whether or not to build around Howell.

As far as the Bears and Fields though, I don’t think they stay at 1.01. I think they stay with Fields and either take MHJ or trade the pick for a haul.

Something to think about… Why does Chicago trade a high 2 for a veteran Edge in Sweat if they don’t believe Fields is their guy?

Because they already had another 1st in the bag with their own.  Moreover, they could trade Fields for a 2nd (and potentially more) to replace the lost 2nd from the Sweat trade.

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

We all exist on the same internet, go fetch ‘em homie. Looking back at previous prospects for context can definitely add value to the discussion 

Kiper scrubs the interwebs of his previous years. He doesn't want anyone to know how much he loved Jimmy Clausen. 

Edited by @DCGoldPants
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

And why did they deal the #1 overall pick last year if they didn't believe in Fields? They're in the exact same spot as last season except Fields is one year closer to his max deal but is coming off of a season where he played better. They may have dealt for Sweat because they knew they had two top ten picks and want to draft O-line and Harrison if not one of the QB's? Who knows. But how enticing must it be to get another haul of picks if they feel Fields is ready to take off? 

The risk is, what if Fields turns out to be better than Caleb Williams or even worse, Williams becomes a generational bust. Are they seeing Fields starting to figure it out and improving? They also have their players and fans clamoring to keep Fields for what that's worth?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, Conn said:

Yep

And we've been following the draft long enough to know that not every draft class especially for QB is billed the same way.  This QB draft class was hyped while the 2023 draft class was being discussed.   Also there are differences between scouts takes and draftnik takes among other things.  You can find love and hate on just about any prospect especially a QB on the Internet.

But I don't get the QB phobia that some have.  Yes we could get this next Bryce Young or we can get the next CJ Stroud.   But in order to compete with the big boys where we become a perennial playoff team, we have to take a shot when there is this type of opportunity especially considering how rare it is for this team to pick this high.   That's what most others teams do.

To me is like a safety blanket to instead live with our familiar territory of lets try a lesser hyped prospect and hope to get lucky and work on the rest of the roster.  Ron Rivera did such a lousy job of building this roster that some forgot that we've had good supporting casts whether its O line or receivers for our share of years in the Dan era -- the issue is the QB was mediocre or worse.  When we had half way decent QB play, we were at least compeititve, RG3 (2012), Kirk, Alex for a season.   

Imagine instead of just good QB play, we had a great QB where we became one of those teams that's almost always in the playoffs and can actually win a game in the postseason?  It may seem like a pipe dream that other teams enjoy and it isn't meant for us.    But heck why not?  

giphy.gif

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Because they already had another 1st in the bag with their own.  Moreover, they could trade Fields for a 2nd (and potentially more) to replace the lost 2nd from the Sweat trade.

All true but why waste the high 2 on a Vet if they’re in rebuilding mode? You’re wasting 2-3 years of Sweats contract if the plan is to rebuild with a new QB.

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

And why did they deal the #1 overall pick last year if they didn't believe in Fields? They're in the exact same spot as last season except Fields is one year closer to his max deal but is coming off of a season where he played better. They may have dealt for Sweat because they knew they had two top ten picks and want to draft O-line and Harrison if not one of the QB's? Who knows. But how enticing must it be to get another haul of picks if they feel Fields is ready to take off? 

The risk is, what if Fields turns out to be better than Caleb Williams or even worse, Williams becomes a generational bust. Are they seeing Fields starting to figure it out and improving? They also have their players and fans clamoring to keep Fields for what that's worth?

Exactly my thoughts

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Kiper scrubs the interwebs of his previous years. He doesn't want anyone to know how much he loved Jimmy Clausen. 

Kiper’s just one person, I believe in you to find others 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

because they can trade their other pick for decent stuff and are guaranteed the player they want

55 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We are gonna find out soon if they agree with you. Fields has been damn good the past 5 weeks. 

Fields seems to have a stretch like this every year. He seems to give off “athletic arrogance” vibes.  If he puts it all together, he’s going to be dangerous. I like him but not enough to trade for him. 

Anyone one else scouting Michael Penix Jr’s every throw, every decision against Texas right now?  

is … he our guy?

is … He a Dude?

Should we have Penix Envy?

Edited by petey hodge
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Fields seems to have a stretch like this every year. He seems to give off “athletic arrogance” vibes.  If he puts it all together, he’s going to be dangerous. I like him but not enough to trade for him. 

I have no interest in trading for him either. The reply was to someone who thinks the Bears take Williams and trade Fields. And while I think that is possible. I also think it is far less likely after his play the past few weeks. 

4 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Anyone one else scouting Michael Penix Jr’s every throw, every decision against Texas right now?  

is … he our guy?

is … He a Dude?

Should we have Penix Envy?

He is my number 4 in this draft.. Not that it means anything. 

• Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Would like to see the pre draft write-ups on Zac Wilson, Tribusky, Rosen, Bortles, and Darnold. 

33 minutes ago, Conn said:

25 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

Kiper’s just one person, I believe in you to find others 

Why the 👎 on my last post, man? 

This comes across as you asking other people to do research for you. Go find it, bring it back and share it, if it’s of interest to you and you think it’s relevant to these current prospects. Like I said, I think there can be value in seeing how guys were scouted in retrospect. But you’re part of this community as much as anyone else—if you see value in this info, then go grab it and add value to the board. 

Right? What could possibly be controversial about that? 

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

QB as we know is the biggest game changing position on the field -- miles over a WR.    Going for Nix, a QB in that 2nd tier would feel so deja vu for this franchise.  Reaching for the QB who isn't ballyhooed so much but hoping to get lucky -- that's mostly been the rodeo we've been on.

You say taking Nix in the 2nd round would be a reach, then say you have a 2nd round grade on Nix.  I'm not sure how to make sense out of that.  It seems to me that my current thinking that MHJ in round one and a QB like Nix in round 2 might be a plan would be the opposite of a reach, using your grades.  No?

Hey, I feel good about the possibility of hiring the type of GM and head coach we are all hoping for.  I'll rely on their takes on these guys.  But, as I said, I'm not at all convinced as of now that any of the big 3 QBs are the elusive franchise guy we've been looking for forever.  If our new brain-trust does, I'll support them and hope they are right.  I'm just saying that as of right now, the guy I feel best about as our first pick is MHJ.  High floor and high upside.  No one is bust-proof, but MHJ is about as close to bust-proof as it gets, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

Why the 👎 on my last post, man? 

This comes across as you asking other people to do research for you. Go find it, bring it back and share it, if it’s of interest to you and you think it’s relevant to these current prospects. Like I said, I think there can be value in seeing how guys were scouted in retrospect. But you’re part of this community as much as anyone else—if you see value in this info, then go grab it and add value to the board. 

Right? What could possibly be controversial about that? 

Relax. I'm just having fun. You're right. I should google it and probably will this week. It's also over 100 days till the draft and we don't know who will be GM or Coach. Lots of time for guys to move up and down draftboards between now and then. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He is my number 4 in this draft.. Not that it means anything. 

2 Acls, 2 shoulder injuries, that's why i haven't bothered to study him.  But I am looking forward to watching.  I've watched him in real time plenty.  I love his Wrs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

You say taking Nix in the 2nd round would be a reach, then say you have a 2nd round grade on Nix.  I'm not sure how to make sense out of that.  It seems to me that my current thinking that MHJ in round one and a QB like Nix in round 2 might be a plan would be the opposite of a reach, using your grades.  No?

Hey, I feel good about the possibility of hiring the type of GM and head coach we are all hoping for.  I'll rely on their takes on these guys.  But, as I said, I'm not at all convinced as of now that any of the big 3 QBs are the elusive franchise guy we've been looking for forever.  If our new brain-trust does, I'll support them and hope they are right.  I'm just saying that as of right now, the guy I feel best about as our first pick is MHJ.  High floor and high upside.  No one is bust-proof, but MHJ is about as close to bust-proof as it gets, IMO.

What exactly about Bo Nix makes you think he's the elusive franchise guy we've been looking for?

5 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Just thought I should point out that Washington hasn't drafted a winning QB in the first round since....

Wait, does RG3 not count? Lol. He was a beast before blowing out his knee. Technically we went 10 - 6 in his rookie season. Does that count as a winning QB? 😂

• Like 1