Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

This is my best guess as of right now:

1.  Bears take Williams

2.  Pats take Maye

3.  Cards take Harrison

Now what to the Commanders do at 4 this is where it will get interesting.  If they roll with Sam and trade out of the pick and acquire additional picks in a deep draft while obtaining a 1st in 2025, which is my preference, well that says a lot about Sam Howell as I'm going to assume these new guys know what they are doing.   This is a very good sign.  If they do not believe in Howell, or believe they can do a lot better, then Daniels will be the selection.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

6 hours ago, CommDownMan said:

June 1st cuts shift savings into year one, but nothing is available until June 1st, so it doesn't help during main spending phase of free agency 2024.  It can offer more cap flexibility during the season or be useful for extensions later in the summer for current players.  Then anything left over in 2024 still rolls over to 2025.  Ultimately, I don't think it makes much of a "damn the future" approach due to the timing of things.

Again, the only reason to make someone a June 1 cut is to have space available that year, at the expense of cap space the following year. If you're not going to use that space, then as I said originally, "there is zero reason" to make someone a June 1 cut. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

1.  Bears take Williams

2.  Pats take Maye

3.  Cards take Harrison

Now what to the Commanders do at 4 this is where it will get interesting.  If they roll with Sam and trade out of the pick and acquire additional picks in a deep draft while obtaining a 1st in 2025, which is my preference, well that says a lot about Sam Howell as I'm going to assume these new guys know what they are doing.   This is a very good sign.  If they do not believe in Howell, or believe they can do a lot better, then Daniels will be the selection.  

okay, but what if they roll with Howell but don't trae out o the pick

50 minutes ago, RWJ said:

What?

I'd have no problem trading for what we say we need.  He's mid-20s, was OROTY, 6'6, and already made the Pro Bowl.

Be bold, or watch someone else do it because he's hot property right now and under contract till 2029 already.

Watch someone like the Giants do it instead...

Edited by Renegade7

38 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'd have no problem trading for what we say we need.  He's mid-20s, was OROTY, 6'6, and already made the Pro Bowl.

Be bold, or watch someone else do it because he's hot property right now and under contract till 2029 already.

Depends on what the new GM wants to do.  If a GM is worth his weight in gold, they do their job and keep Howell and draft a QB with our #4 or #3 pick.  We will get an elite QB with that pick.  When does a team find themselves in this position with 3 elite QB in the draft?  Someone is going to move down.  It could be us.  If we don't, I like us picking Williams and I think he's special in all facets of the game and I hopefully have a Montana vs. Young on my hands.  We have Howell under contract for 2 more years.  If the QB we draft fails, we have Howell.  If the QB we draft gets hurt, we have Howell as the backup.  If the QB we draft is impressive, we trade Howell at the right time and get an excellent return on him.  We may decide to let the new QB site and learn under Howell and let Howell's value skyrocket.  Like, I said we could be the team that trades down. It's all up to the next GM and as I said, may the next GM be worth his weight in gold and know what he's doing.  So many options, Renegade.  :)

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:37 PM, Darrell Green Fan said:

This may belong in the draft thread but no discussion of drafting Harrison?  I am convinced the Bears and Pats will go with the 2 QBs in some order. The Cards I believe will take a player who they believe can be another Calvin Johnson. But if we end up picking above the Cards (I believe they need to win one game as long as we lose out) then the choice would be Harrison or Daniels and it would be foolish IMO to take a LT with such talent available. 

Either pull the trigger on one of the 2 or trade back, get a future 1st round pick among the teams who really want to take a shot on Daniels, and run it back with Howell with the draft capital to move up to try to find the QB next year if Sam is not the answer.  

I think the cards draft Daniels or Maye

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

They're going to be using Herbert to get their next coaching staff.  They aren't going to trade him.  Him and that stadium are how they'll get the second best coach on the market this winter, after the Bears get the pick of the litter.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

19 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

1.  Bears take Williams

2.  Pats take Maye

3.  Cards take Harrison

Now what to the Commanders do at 4 this is where it will get interesting.  If they roll with Sam and trade out of the pick and acquire additional picks in a deep draft while obtaining a 1st in 2025, which is my preference. If they do not believe in Howell, or believe they can do a lot better, then Daniels will be the selection.  

Some team may leap frog the Commanders and take a different player than projected but I like your logic.  I prefer the trade down scenario once we know which players are likely to be available in the first round in this draft.  A first round next year would give me a lot of confidence that they are thinking long term.  The extra future first could be used in a trade down next year to the second round. Use the existing future second as trade for the subsequent years' first.  Keep building draft capital.  Fingers crossed that they choose players wisely.

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

They're going to be using Herbert to get their next coaching staff.  They aren't going to trade him.  Him and that stadium are how they'll get the second best coach on the market this winter, after the Bears get the pick of the litter.

"The next guy may want their own guy", "it wouldn't be wise for them not to keep their options open", especially with offers that could come.

Is a team that jus got embarrassed the way they did last Thursday without their QB closer to a couple tweaks to be a contender or in need of a full rebuild? 

11 hours ago, RWJ said:

It's all up to the next GM and as I said, may the next GM be worth his weight in gold and know what he's doing.  So many options, Renegade.  :)

I want to believe a good GM tells Howell he's going another direction and tells him to go look for a trade at minimum if he isn't part of the package to get his replacement.

Howell is good enough to start on other teams and keeping him here to see what happens would be like keeping him hostage amd costing him a lot of potential money, it's a business, that's a sure fire path to him treating it like one, imo.

I'd rather keep him and see one more season for folks still in the fence, but right now Herbert is a clear upgrade and would meet a lot of folks concerns.  Although that may be a end result many would want from us drafting a rookie QB, I have a feeling many will still want to take the path of drafting and developing someone then trading for one.

Open to compromises and thinking outside the box.  Honestly, the Chargers need to be, too here:

Having an expensive, aging, and bad football team is not a good place to be — and that's exactly where the Chargers are at. Tom Telesco left the books in Los Angeles an abject disaster. Right now, they're expected to be over $45 million over the projected $240.5 million salary cap in 2024. Only one team, the New Orleans Saints, is projected to have less cap space in 2024 than the Chargers.

https://atozsports.com/los-angeles-chargers/chargers-45-million-over-the-salary-cap-2024-coach-gm-hiring-deterrent/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I agree with that.  the whole hook I keep hearng for the Chargers is Herbert.  Be odd for the new GM to just discard Herbert right after landing that job.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agee with that.  the whole hook I keep hearng for the Chargers is Herbert.  Be odd for the new GM to just discard Herbert right after landing that job.  

I cannot even remember the last time a franchise QB let a top 8 or so QB in their prime go (either via trade or free agency).   The closest thing I can remember off the top of my head is Kirk Cousins (and he was  not considered a top 8 QB, though he was probably considered top 16---and we turned a first round pick from the 49'ers)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I cannot even remember the last time a franchise QB let a top 8 or so QB in their prime go (either via trade or free agency).   The closest thing I can remember off the top of my head is Kirk Cousins (and he was  not considered a top 8 QB, though he was probably considered top 16---and we turned a first round pick from the 49'ers)

Cutler got more exposed as a fraud once in Chicago, but at the time McDaniels showed up in Denver and traded him it was jus as shocking.

They in the type of cap situation that fixing it may cause having Herbert and not much else trying to fix it.  Which isn't too far off from where they are right now, a couple names but for most part that roster is overpaid trash, jus like the GM they fired.

22 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

1.  Bears take Williams

2.  Pats take Maye

3.  Cards take Harrison

I can see this, but I could also see someone jumping to #3 to take a QB ahead of us. That might make it harder for us to trade down, but then we could also get Harrison if we want him.

Lions had basically the same record we did last year.  Half a game difference.  That's it.

Shows what an off season of stepping on the gas does -- good draft, adding offensive weapons versus our version of stepping off the gas.

My point is this rebuild doesn't have to take forever.  It does take forever, if you draft poorly and have no sense of urgency but that regime will be gone soon. 

I know SOS is a moving target.  Yesterday though was a slight positive for us versus the Cards.  Denver losing helps our SOS a little.  The Cards played the Steelers and Cincy this season so those games were a wash for them.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

I can see this, but I could also see someone jumping to #3 to take a QB ahead of us. That might make it harder for us to trade down, but then we could also get Harrison if we want him.

I would never complain if they got a player like Harrison at 4.  If they stay in that spot they will have a ton of options with 3 QBs.  If they fall to 5 and don't trade back I guess they would have to take their favorite OT but I am convinced that would not be good value..  

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lions had basically the same record we did last year.  Half a game difference.  That's it.

Shows what an off season of stepping on the gas does -- good draft, adding offensive weapons versus our version of stepping off the gas.

My point is this rebuild doesn't have to take forever.  It does take forever, if you draft poorly and have no sense of urgency but that regime will be gone soon. 

I know SOS is a moving target.  Yesterday though was a slight positive for us versus the Cards.  Denver losing helps our SOS a little.  The Cards played the Steelers and Cincy this season so those games were a wash for them.

The Lions killed last years draft.  I think most have forgotten they also grabbed Hendon Hooker who is sitting and learning behind Goff and Bridgewater for their future

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As my family is from Michigan I follow the Lions and am very happy for their success. But I sure don't think Gibbs was the right pick, do you?  They could have had Jalen Carter or others instead they took a RB where they could have found a similar back later in the draft.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1