Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

I posted some of these on the draft thread

1. Chicago Bears (via 1-9 CAR)

Yates: We might look back at Chicago's decision to trade down with Carolina in March as one of the most impactful of recent years. Not only did the Bears bring in extra picks and a WR1 in DJ Moore, they also landed this projected No. 1 pick in 2024 -- a massive coup. And while quarterback Justin Fields has had moments of promise, our FPI projects the Bears' own pick to be No. 5 overall. If that happens, it's unlikely Fields showed dramatic improvement over the rest of the season, meaning a reset at quarterback is probably in play.

Miller: Yup, if the Bears don't turn things around, Fields is likely gone, and the front office will look to reset the quarterback clock. Let's remember that general manager Ryan Poles didn't draft Fields and must make a decision after this season on the quarterback's fifth-year option. To date, Fields hasn't shown enough to be paid like a top-tier quarterback, and the opportunity to draft a younger player with more promise (who also happens to be much cheaper) is super intriguing.

And we haven't even gotten to USC's Caleb Williams yet, widely seen not only as the No. 1 prospect in this class and also a generational prospect. He's a franchise-changer. Look at what C.J. Stroud has done in his first season in Houston; Williams can be that and more for the Bears.

• 24dMel Kiper Jr., +2 More

Reid: If Fields does play well over the Bears' final six games -- he looked good on Sunday against the Lions -- but the team continues to lose, it makes for an even more interesting decision for Poles. He has to weigh all of his options. But how can you pass up Williams?

Yes, he still has to clean up some bad habits in the pocket, but his improvisational skill and arm talent are outstanding. And his mobility and playmaking could mask a lot of the Bears' deficiencies elsewhere. Williams ranks second in the nation in passing (3,633 yards) and has thrown 30 touchdown passes -- including an FBS-leading 11 from outside the pocket.

Yates: The Bears should be able to recoup a little bit of draft capital for Fields, too. While his inconsistency as a thrower is part of why they are in this spot, his mobility and flashes will have some allure to other teams, whether it be as a starter or backup. He would cost a team about $3.2 million for 2024, a totally reasonable cost.

Miller: And there would be a market for him. Just look at how many teams outside the top two picks have a need at the position and won't be able to fill it with a premium player. I love the Falcons for him if they're not in play to draft one of the top QBs. Fields is from Georgia and originally played for the in-state Bulldogs. And if Arthur Smith is back as coach, Fields fits the RPO-heavy offense Smith was running as the offensive coordinator in Tennessee and earlier last season with Marcus Mariota. Tampa Bay, Las Vegas, Minnesota and maybe even Pittsburgh could theoretically get involved if Fields were to become available.

Reid: I think we're all in agreement here. Williams is special and has the talent to eventually change the trajectory of a franchise. And while Chicago moved back this past spring when it had the No. 1 pick, there just isn't a scenario where any trade offer would make me trade back this time.

Our pick for the Bears: Caleb Williams, QB, USC

nyg.png&h=110&w=110

2. New York Giants (3-8)

Reid: I'd argue the Giants also have to go quarterback if they are picking here. I know they just paid Daniel Jones in March, but being able to land one of the draft's top two passers changes things. I love the mobility and accuracy of North Carolina's Drake Maye, and we see him manipulate coverages and attack all three levels of the field every Saturday. His pocket patience continues to improve, too. Maye processes quickly and understands where the weak points are in defenses. I think he could thrive with coach Brian Daboll. The Giants' offensive line is still a work in progress, but Maye is poised under center and could be a star in the NFL.

Miller: There's a very good chance Maye would have been my QB1 for 2023 based on his arm strength, mobility and ball placement. He's Justin Herbert to me. Maye has thrown for 3,354 yards with 22 touchdown passes and 7 interceptions this season, and he has rushed for another eight scores.

Yates: Yeah, there's so much to like about his game. He's no consolation prize for the team that misses out on Williams; he's an excellent prospect. Now, drafting Maye of course means New York would be moving on from Jones, a task much easier said than done. Jones is due $35.5 million fully guaranteed in 2024, a massive price tag for a player coming off a poor season and a torn ACL. But when you have the opportunity to reset the quarterback clock with a franchise-altering talent, you swallow the sunk costs and move on.

Miller: Exactly. The best thing any franchise can do when it makes a mistake -- especially at quarterback -- is admit it early and move on before it's too late. That's where the Giants are with Jones. I know they just signed him to a four-year deal, but his injury history and uneven play (Jones is 27th in QBR at 39.2) suggest it's already time for a change.

Reid: If they do move on from Jones, I don't see any way they could keep him around as a backup. GM Joe Schoen just has to get what he can for Jones, even if it takes a Brock Osweiler-type trade where New York has to attach a conditional pick.

Yates: The best bet for finding a trade partner might be letting the QB carousel spin through free agency and surveying what's left. Any teams out there that struck out on a veteran quarterback but aren't in position to draft someone impactful? The Giants could then agree to eat a chunk of Jones' base salary to make a trade more palatable for an acquiring team. And Jones has no guaranteed money beyond 2024, so any new team would have zero negative cap ramifications if it does not work out.

Miller: OK, I think we all like Maye here, even if we aren't the ones making the tough decisions. One more thought before we move on: Some might wonder whether New York would try to move down to pick up assets and just keep Jones. Look, I am always going to advocate for trading back, but in this case, the Giants have to stay in the top three. I see three blue-chip players at positions of need for the Giants -- Williams, Maye and Ohio State receiver Marvin Harrison Jr. New York has to land one of them.

Our pick for the Giants: Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

ari.png&h=110&w=110

3. Arizona Cardinals (2-9)

Yates: I'd like the Cardinals to call the fastest player on their roster (maybe Marquise Brown if he gets re-signed) and ask him to sprint the card in for Harrison in April. Beyond filling a need, we're talking about a rare prospect. Harrison has a 6-foot-4 frame, runs buttery smooth routes and displays stick 'em hands. There are no holes in his game, and no player has a clearer chance of developing into a Pro Bowler in this class than him.

Reid: I can't say enough positive things about Harrison. He's a big receiver ... but has the movement skills of a small wideout. His ability to sink his hips and redirect allows him to run every branch in the route tree, and he can make catches outside his frame with ease. And despite mediocre quarterback play and the fact that everyone in the stadium knows he's getting the ball, Harrison just keeps producing. He has 1,093 yards, and his 13 TD catches are tied for second in the country. Simply put, Harrison is special and one of the best receiver prospects that we have seen this century. I would be shocked if he isn't the first non-QB selected.

Miller: Harrison is definitely the pick. We're talking about an all-world receiver prospect with the traits to be great at the next level. I see a smoother version of A.J. Green.

Reid: The only thing that might throw a wrench in this is if Colorado quarterback Shedeur Sanders were to declare for the draft. We know Williams and Maye are the top two passers, but QB3 gets interesting. Sanders plays behind one of college football's worst offensive lines but shows the poise and accuracy to get the ball out on time and on target. I don't know if he'll be in the class -- he might opt to return to play another season with his dad at Colorado -- but it definitely is something to consider.

Yates: Shouldn't a quarterback be discussed on principle? Kyler Murray wasn't picked by Arizona's current front office, and the Cards would be looking at an early pick here. Sure. But we're also not yet sold on a quarterback meriting the No. 3 overall pick, especially if Sanders returns to school.

... drafting the best wide receiver prospect most of us have ever seen.  The Cards don't need to eat that money just to bring in Michigan's J.J. McCarthy or LSU's Jayden Daniels. Instead, they can build around Murray with an elite receiver -- something he had for a brief time with DeAndre Hopkins, which happens to be when Murray looked his best.

Our pick for the Cardinals: Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State

6. Washington Commanders (4-7)

Miller: New team owner Josh Harris wants to return the Commanders to the glory days of the 80s and 90s when the Hogs dominated the NFC. The best way to do that is to rebuild a struggling offensive line, especially since quarterback Sam Howell has taken a league-high 51 sacks this season. Alt is too obvious. He's the son of former NFL guard John Alt and plays with the poise, power and tenacity of an old-school blocker. And he has allowed just one sack all season.

Yates: Alt is a 6-foot-8 left tackle who just doesn't allow pressure. He might not have the suddenness or foot quickness of Fashanu, but the man is under control on every rep and makes a job of chaos look calm. Incumbent starter Charles Leno Jr. is 32, going into the final year of his deal and has zero guaranteed money leftover in that final year.

Reid: Yeah, coach Ron Rivera is on the hot seat, too, so Washington could have a new front office in place by draft time. Whenever there's a new front office, premium positions are crucial. This team has to get better up front, as Leno and Andrew Wylie have been woefully inconsistent this season. This one seems like a simple call.

Miller: It's also important to note that the tackles ranked immediately after Alt -- JC Latham (Alabama), Amarius Mims (Georgia) and Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma) -- all play the right side, so this is the last chance to get an elite left tackle. I don't have another left tackle ranked inside my top 25, and that's where the bigger need is right now.

Reid: That's what makes this tackle class so interesting. After the top two in Fashanu and Alt, the entire second tier consists only of right tackle prospects. (I'd also put Oregon State's Taliese Fuaga in that group, Matt.)

Yates: If Turner were still on the board, we might have a larger conversation since the Commanders traded away both Sweat and Chase Young at the deadline. Edge rusher is a massive need, and Turner is terrific. Plus, he goes to Alabama, the Commanders' front-seven Triple A team. With Turner off the board, though, this is an easy one. Alt is the pick.

Our pick for the Commanders: Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/38936326/2024-nfl-mock-draft-top-10-picks-debate-predictions

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We had that trade back with Vinny to give us three 2nd rounders to get Davis, Kelley, Thomas.

This is the draft of which we do not speak,  and as for above crossed out:

image.gif.165c71075601602550f2a9371bcdc9e8.gif

7 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Pretty damning that the two teams with 1at and 2nd picks have a total of 4 wins. Three curtosey of Washington.

Yeah.

image.gif.8cfd90d9cf72bff328a5eebff84fb26a.gif

45 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Pretty damning that the two teams with 1at and 2nd picks have a total of 4 wins. Three curtosey of Washington.

Technically Bears are not 1 (and idk why they put a 3-8 at 2 over a 2-9 team...)

Either way add to the disgrace we got 2 of our wins in close games against what I see as the #2 and #3 and it paints a pretty bad picture.

Edit: And #8.  Denver has turned it around a bit, but were really struggling when we played.  We've really only beaten a few really bad teams. 

Screenshot_20231124_083603_Chrome.jpg

Edited by CommDownMan

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me it depends.  If its Marvin Harrison JR.  I am not trading down.  Heck some think he should be the first pick in the draft he's that good.  I think for that they need to pick 3.

But if not him, as much as I like Fashanu and Bowers, I'd trade down if I could and hope to get Fauga.

Drafting Harrison, Jr feels like drafting Young all over again.

It's NOT a position of need and we are starting a rebuild with some position groups begging for talent.

If we just gave an LTS to WR and used a 1st round pick in another, the question on why we aren't getting return in investment should be troubleshot, not doubled down with #3 overall pick in the same position group.

The scheme is trash, fire the entire coaching staff.  Howell is getting hit way too much for the offense to establish rhythm sometimes, sometimes whole games.

The sexy move would be draft Harrison, Jr and say we got Howell a legit weapon in hopes they stay together rest of their career. 

The correct move is making sure our current investment we can get more out of with a different scheme before deciding we need more investment and put more of those resources on the oline.

If our first pick isn't on the oline, I'm tuning out until minicamp.  We are lucky Howell hasn't missed a game to injury yet, taking that for granted to get him more weapons would be a mistake.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Drafting an edge rusher when your defense is your strength and bypassing Herbert and Tua when you don't have a QB in an offensive driven league.  Was a mistake especially with hindsight.   Heck judging by the 49ers adopting that same approach on the O line -- maybe the issue with Chase and the defense in general was't the idea behind it but by the actual coaching.

As for taking the mostly highly rated player on offense in an offense driven league, who some ala Matt Miller saying is the best WR prospect he's ever seen -- over a LT not rated the same way isn't even remotely IMO apples to apples to Chase Young.

No one here can lecture me (not saying you are) on the value of offensive line.  I probably posted 1000 times this off season about how lacking it is and its the reason why I turned on Ron.  But I am not going to overcompensate on that by saying no thanks to a likely elite WR.  We genuinely can use an elite tall WR, its a need IMO.

In that case, use the 90 million of cap space and the 2 high 2nd round picks on the O line.  But that's just if we can take Harrison.  Otherwise aside from Bowers which I waffle on, its no brainer for me to either trade down and pick up someone like Fauga or Latham or take Fashanu

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's NOT a position of need and we are starting a rebuild with some position groups begging for talent.

If we just gave an LTS to WR and used a 1st round pick in another, the question on why we aren't getting return in investment should be troubleshot, not doubled down with #3 overall pick in the same position group.

The scheme is trash, fire the entire coaching staff.  Howell is getting hit way too much for the offense to establish rhythm sometimes, sometimes whole games.

The sexy move would be draft Harrison, Jr and say we got Howell a legit weapon in hopes they stay together rest of their career. 

The correct move is making sure our current investment we can get more out of with a different scheme before deciding we need more investment and put more of those resources on the oline.

If our first pick isn't on the oline, I'm tuning out until minicamp.  We are lucky Howell hasn't missed a game to injury yet, taking that for granted to get him more weapons would be a mistake.

You are effectively arguing that the Bengals were idiots for drafting Chase after already having Higgins and Boyd without a great offensive line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Drafting an edge rusher when your defense is your strength and bypassing Herbert and Tua when you don't have a QB in an offensive driven league.  Was a mistake especially with hindsight.   Heck judging by the 49ers adopting that same approach on the O line -- maybe the issue with Chase and the defense in general was't the idea behind it but by the actual coaching.

As for taking the mostly highly rated player on offense in an offense driven league, who some ala Matt Miller saying is the best WR prospect he's ever seen -- over a LT not rated the same way isn't even remotely IMO apples to apples to Chase Young.

I'm sorry, but these are so close to each other its scary.  I never want to hear "can't miss prospect" again, because they absolutely can.  Ignoring our needs in the name of grabbing another one, too soon for me, bro.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No one here can lecture me (not saying you are) on the value of offensive line.  I probably posted 1000 times this off season about how lacking it is and its the reason why I turned on Ron.  But I am not going to overcompensate on that by saying no thanks to a likely elite WR.  We genuinely can use an elite tall WR, its a need IMO.

In that case, use the 90 million of cap space and the 2 high 2nd round picks on the O line.  But that's just if we can take Harrison.  Otherwise aside from Bowers which I waffle on, its no brainer for me to either trade down and pick up someone like Fauga or Latham or take Fashanu

That's the thing, 49ers put themselves in position for Young to be a potential over the top player for the them on top of what they already had.

We had nothing when we drafted Young except a dline.  Despite nearly all our position groups under achieving WR is still arguably our deepest.

We've been neglecting the oline so long that I can't with a straight face say sure let's do it one more time. 

If we believe the NFL is going the direction of being offense dominated and more of these freak of nature WR's showing up because it, there will be another one.  And id like us to do everything we can to rebuild this oline much as we can one offseason before getting another weapon Howell cent get the ball to because he's on his back.

The priority here for me isn't keeping up with the rest of the NFL, its protecting our franchise QB.  I know you know that's important, I'm just saying out loud that if this franchise doesn't prioritize protecting Howell, his weapons won't matter.

11 minutes ago, method man said:

The first one happened before the Bengals were able to make the pick and second one has now happened after the Bengals made a big investment in the OL and brought in Orlando Brown Jr so you tell me…

No, Burrow just had another one this year and Young ended his season a couple years ago in the NFL.

The Bengals have notoriously not prioritized protecting him and he gets hit way too much.

That **** adds up, he's borderline getting Andrew Luck'd right now.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Take the BPA at a premium position. Reaching for need gets you in trouble. 

If Alt is a reach not worth standing pat for or trading down for, then what I hear is folks just horny for the sexy pick again.

I've try my best to respect BPA takes over Need over the years, but I cannot with a straight face say we need a whole new oline and our first pick should be a WR.

We need to win some more games to back off this Harrison, Jr pipe dream, folks getting fired anyway, but id rather folks get mad at my take on this then willing say we shouldn't prioritize protecting the only player many of us believe we should keep after nuking this roster from orbit.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

If Alt is a reach not worth standing pat for or trading down for, then what I hear is folks just horny for the sexy pick again.

I've try my best to respect BPA takes over Need over the years, but I cannot with a straight face say we need a whole new oline and our first pick should be a WR.

We need to win some more games to back off this Harrison, Jr pipe dream, folks getting fired anyway, but id rather folks get mad at my take on this then willing say we shouldn't prioritize protecting the only player many of us believe we should keep after nuking this roster from orbit.

If our FO truly believes Alt or any other LT is a better prospect than Harrison jr then take him.

Just dont give up talent and value to reach for a need. Thats how you end up with the disaster of last years class. 

Just now, MrJL said:

LT is also a premium position. In fact it is frequently higher than WR

Id value WR more because one great WR can completely change a game. Your OL can still

suck with one great LT. 

i wouldnt cry if we took a LT, but passing up on Harrison jr is something well look back on in a couple years and scream WHY!? 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If our FO truly believes Alt or any other LT is a better prospect than Harrison jr then take him.

Just dont give up talent and value to reach for a need. Thats how you end up with the disaster of last years class. 

I'm reasonable even when I'm stuck in my ways.

Alt is not a better prospect then Harrison, but he's an appropriate prospect for a position of need.

There is a higher chance Harrision won't be on the board then he is for us, of Alt's there, this debate will very much about "what to do if", but most likely moot.

So I feel like I've said my piece and things will work out.  I felt alone on Young going into drafting him and take no pride in how that turned out for us. 

I get yalls point of Harrison if hes there, I just can't come with you on it.

• Like 1

I would take Harrison over Alt.  That said, I think we finish 5-12 or 6-11 and have somewhere between the 6th to 10 pick.  If we get pick 10, I don't think either Harrison or Alt will be there. If we pick 6 I think Alt may be there, but don't expect Harrison to be there.  Long story short, I think its all a hypothetical unlikely to happen.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Id value WR more because one great WR can completely change a game. Your OL can still

suck with one great LT. 

i wouldnt cry if we took a LT, but passing up on Harrison jr is something well look back on in a couple years and scream WHY!? 

I mean, Ya we've done that before (great LT and no one else on line close), but that's not what should happen here nor I hope would happen if we took LT over Harrison. 

The LT would be part of making the whole oline a strength similar to what we tried to do with dline, which imo has just as much value as one elite WR.

This process the QB, keeps plays alive for longer even without an elite WR, helps the running game.  We will eventually get our elite WR if we have faith in the new regime...but rebuilding the oline takes time and has to start somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm reasonable even when I'm stuck in my ways.

Alt is not a better prospect then Harrison, but he's an appropriate prospect for a position of need.

There is a higher chance Harrision won't be on the board then he is for us, of Alt's there, this debate will very much about "what to do if", but most likely moot.

So I feel like I've said my piece and things will work out.  I felt alone on Young going into drafting him and take no pride in how that turned out for us. 

I get yalls point of Harrison if hes there, I just can't come with you on it.

I mean Young was an impact player. DRoY, and this year balling out. Unfortunately he got hurt but it wasnt like we effed up taking him. Obviously shoulda taken a QB though. 

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean Young was an impact player. DRoY, and this year balling out. Unfortunately he got hurt but it wasnt like we effed up taking him. Obviously shoulda taken a QB though. 

That means we effed up taking him, bro, it's a QB league and he's playing for another team now after we took #2 overall.  I'm sorry, but that's like the definition of effing up.  I respectfully disagree with your take here.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

If our FO truly believes those dudes are better than Harrison Jr then it'd be time to fire them for incompetence.

Harrison Jr is going to go top 3 and be the first non QB off the board though, and it's never worth it to trade up for a receiver.  Even if you hit a home run and get a HoFer like Julio Jones. 

Drake Maye is the only player in this class worth trading up into the top three for, and the only one we could regret not trading up for in five years time.  QB is the only position worth that kind of big trade.

• Like 1