Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread 2023: SUPER BOWL LVIII (58) ~ Chiefs vs. 49ers

zCommander

So, Dan Campbell is probably a good football coach and his team will run through a wall for him. And I get the "we're going to be aggressive" mentality, and also the analytics which say going for it on 4th down is a good thing.

BUT.  The reason there is a consensus opinion on certain things is because it's the right thing to do. I'm all for some "trend breakers."

However, sometimes, just do the simple thing because it's tried and true and works.  

If you have a chance to go up 3 scores, do it.  Don't think in terms of total points to win, think in terms of possessions.  

If you are down 3 and have a chance to tie the game, take it.  Because the alternative is you could be down 2 scores with less than 5 minutes to go in the game.  

I have no idea if the Lions win if they just take the points.  A ball might still bounce off a defender's head and get caught.  

But if they took the first one, they have an extra shot of staying ahead. 

One more thing: it was a CRITICAL game management mistake to run the ball under 2 minutes on 3rd down and goal.  If they had passed there and it had been incomplete, and then scored on 4th down, they could kick off and play defense.  By running and getting stuffed, you have to depend on an onside kick.  Whoever made that decision made the wrong decision.  

Typically, I put that type of decision on the HC.  He had to tell the OC "I want a pass here" or "I want a run here."  If Dan didn't do that, shame on him.  However, Ben Johnson needs to know better also.  

That's a bad look.  

I am not a Kyle hater, and I don't honestly care who wins the SB.  I am openly a Reid fan, so I'll be pulling for the Chiefs.  Also, I want Taylor to sing a surprise duet with Usher at half time, and all the people who get butt hurt because she is less than a minute of coverage during a game can go insane.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Their head coach is not easy to cheer for.

They're definitely losing Ben Johnson, and probably a few members of his staff. 

The Lions will not make the playoffs next year, and Dan Campbell's luck is going to run out in 2-3 years.  

This was his chance and he blew it spectacularly.  Now they're going to have to start over at OC, still have an "ok" QB.  I don't think they're going to be able to keep it going.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Lions will not make the playoffs next year, and Dan Campbell's luck is going to run out in 2-3 years.  

This was his chance and he blew it spectacularly.  Now they're going to have to start over at OC, still have an "ok" QB.  I don't think they're going to be able to keep it going.  

What? You don't think Scott Brunell can pick up the slack?

• Haha 2

Just now, tmandoug1 said:

Campbell had full momentum on his side and tried to throw a dagger and got greedy.....karma killed him instantly and stole his glory. Take the 3 and you would have won IMHO.....damn.

Yeah I believe not going for it on the first one is when they started to implode.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Dan Blew it. He had a chance to have a 3 score lead and passed it up.  

Then he had a chance to tie it and passed it up. 

Now he’s down 2 scores.

Dumbass

He'll learn, they'll be back.

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No guarantee if he took the points, he would’ve won but he put San Fran in position to win the game.

He may have missed his best shot. He’s losing his OC. Vikings gets qb, they will be better and even if Kirk resigns.  Packers bound to be better. Caleb May Make Bears at least competitive. He could well find his window close fast.