Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The all encompassing travel thread (for your tips, tricks, recs, questions, help).

The Evil Genius

If you are doing museums, honestly you will likely be disappointed by the Louvre as most of it is stodgy old portraits. The Musee D'Orsay has more modern (mostly impressionist) art. Of course the wife will probably want a selfie next to the Mona Lisa, so you may be screwed....

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

If you are doing museums, honestly you will likely be disappointed by the Louvre as most of it is stodgy old portraits. The Musee D'Orsay has more modern (mostly impressionist) art. Of course the wife will probably want a selfie next to the Mona Lisa, so you may be screwed....

Just go to the Louvre and take a selfie movie while running through the place blaring DaVinci code background music.  Win win.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Nah, I'm the one who wants that selfie. I'm the one probably forcing her into the Louvre, if we go. 😆

Edited by The Evil Genius

Interesting sidenote - in 1911 brochure the Louvre named a painting by Rafaello as its greatest masterpiece; La Giaconda a.k.a. Mona Lisa was second. It was only after the Mona Lisa was stolen that it became the most famous painting, because its image was plastered on newspapers all over the world. Picasso was one of the suspects in its theft, because he had bought primitive Iberian masks stolen from the Louvre which became the inspiration for one of his most famous paintings and the birth of cubism. His best friend Appolonaire was arrested for the crime but later released.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

What's everyone's go to for cheapest car rentals? I've mostly used Costco travel as it seems to have the lowest rate at major companies...but maybe I'm missing something better? 

Definitely will not use Turo. 

Costco was very good for us on our last trip. Very competitive rate with real companies and also allowed us to cancel and rebook several times as the rate dropped.

• Thumb up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 10:46 AM, Riggo-toni said:

The Louvre was one of the worst parts of my time in Paris.  My wife and I were bored to death in there.  

And then seeing the Mona Lisa and I had no clue how small it was.  And you can't even get within like 20 ft of it, and all you see is everyone taking god damn selfies from 20 ft away.  It's so dumb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Direct flight SFO-RIC on Breeze Airways on Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday...

No thanks. Rather have 1 layover in Chicago (the first flight I stay onboard in Long Beach) than fly out of SFO. Also, I paid $257 RT on Southwest, so it was worth it for me. 

Wondering where people stayed in Paris. We have 3 nights outside of Paris (in Bailly-Romainvilliers) and will likely be staying 5 in Paris proper. Right now looking at 12 arrondissement in Gare de Lyon as a possibility.  

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1

Honestly, the best tip I can give you is stay off the highways and interstates.
Last summer my wife and I drove to Toronto, our second time. The first time i took the main routes, but last time we stayed well away from it. Drove through central NY and PA.
It was nice. Easy. Timewise, it wasn't really too much longer, given the traffic problems on the major roads. And the lack of stress, the scenery..  much much much better.

In the early Summer we went to the Poconos the weekend the overpass in Philly collapsed. Missed it entirely. My wife's colleagues (it was a financial adviser's conference) were not so lucky. 
I just look at the map, decide which roads we'll use based on the smaller towns it goes through, then set the Waze every 50 miles or so for the next one.

Very pleasant.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

No thanks. Rather have 1 layover in Chicago (the first flight I stay onboard in Long Beach) than fly out of SFO. Also, I paid $257 RT on Southwest, so it was worth it for me. 

Wondering where people stayed in Paris. We have 3 nights outside of Paris (in Bailly-Romainvilliers) and will likely be staying 5 in Paris proper. Right now looking at 12 arrondissement in Gare de Lyon as a possibility.  

I've only been to Paris once and we stayed here:

https://www.pullmanparistoureiffel.fr/en/

It was in a great location and the balcony views were fantastic.

This isn't my picture but a picture from the website, but this was the view from our balcony (although on a bit higher floor) which was pretty cool, especially at night when they have the light shows on the tower.

365067639_5959251234190049_1996268948073

Edited by purbeast
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

https://www.google.com/travel/search?q=hotel gare de lyon&g2lb=2502548%2C2503771%2C2503781%2C4258168%2C4270442%2C4284970%2C4291517%2C4308227%2C4597339%2C4754388%2C4757164%2C4814050%2C4850738%2C4864715%2C4874190%2C4886480%2C4893075%2C4924070%2C4963888%2C4965990%2C4969802%2C4990494%2C72285074%2C72298667%2C72302247%2C72305577%2C72313834%2C72314788%2C72317059%2C72318440%2C72326868%2C72329393%2C72335186%2C72337210&hl=fr-FR&gl=fr&ssta=1&ts=CAESCAoCCAMKAggDGhwSGhIUCgcI5w8QCBgfEgcI5w8QCRgBGAEyAhAAKgcKBToDRVVS&qs=CAE4Bg&ap=SABoAQ&ictx=1&ved=0CAAQ5JsGahcKEwjgh-f5oOaAAxUAAAAAHQAAAAAQBg

G Translation link

Edited by FrFan
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I asked this in the MLB thread but I suspect no one but a few reads it. 

For those of you near Richmond, is the best place to get Richmond Flying Squirrels hats/swag at the ballpark store? They're the AA team for the Giants so hoping to pick up a few things. 

Yes. I can't recall seeing any Flying Squirrels swag at any of the local stores. @TradeTheBeal! might know of a store in Carytown that carries their stuff. I've only bought it online. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I asked this in the MLB thread but I suspect no one but a few reads it. 

For those of you near Richmond, is the best place to get Richmond Flying Squirrels hats/swag at the ballpark store? They're the AA team for the Giants so hoping to pick up a few things. 

52 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Yes. I can't recall seeing any Flying Squirrels swag at any of the local stores. @TradeTheBeal! might know of a store in Carytown that carries their stuff. I've only bought it online. 

Ballpark store is likely your best bet for FS swag.

VCU bookstore I think also has a Squirrel selection adjacent to their always-bumping RAM HAVOC area.

• Thanks 1

My favorite trip ever was to Placencia Belize. We stayed at Singing Sands. Granted it was 2 decades ago. 

I loved the people there and the way everyone staying there could talk about we did as we ate great food at the long table. My all time favorite memory of the trip was on a horribly hot day while we were hiking to some natural water slides. It started pouring after we had walked about a half hour in, and we wouldn't be able to do the slides in the rain(unsafe). The other couple with us looked at the guide and each other. Then the guy laughs and lays down in a mud puddle and starts making mud angels. It taught me situations aren't what makes things fun. It's what we bring to the situation that makes it fun and allows us to enjoy them. That lesson alone makes the trip worth every penny, but i have so many other great memories from the trip.

Fun tip, 1 U.S. dollar =2 Belize dollars. It helped keep trip affordable.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1