Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The all encompassing travel thread (for your tips, tricks, recs, questions, help).

The Evil Genius

51 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Heading to London and then Paris in late April. Where do you guys buy your foreign currency? Want to have a little carrying cash and previously used BoA when we went to Italy. Is that dumb? 

ALWAYS have local currency on hand before you arrive to a country. 

I had a sock that I kept all my foreign currency in. You never know when plans change and you end up in a different country. Less of an issue for you probably with just euro/pound.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Can anyone recommend a highish-end restaurant in downtown San Diego.  They have a Del Frisco's and an Eddie V's, but trying to find a non-chain.

Thanks. 

Born and Raised in Little Italy might fit the bill. 

Should add..never been there but have wanted to go. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2024 at 5:29 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

ALWAYS have local currency on hand before you arrive to a country. 

I had a sock that I kept all my foreign currency in. You never know when plans change and you end up in a different country. Less of an issue for you probably with just euro/pound.

I only left the country once, for a concert tour of the British Isles...mom & I got American Express money orders at home in pounds a day before I flew out. 

39 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Born and Raised in Little Italy might fit the bill. 

Should add..never been there but have wanted to go. 

Thanks.  Is it safe to say I should be looking for seafood places in SD?  They’ve gotta have amazing seafood there, right?

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I only left the country once, for a concert tour of the British Isles...mom & I got American Express money orders at home in pounds a day before I flew out. 

When I was young and single, I'd beg to deploy any time I could. Someone on det got hurt? I can have my bags packed in an hour. Guy's wife is pregnant? I'll take his spot!

I stopped counting a country as "visited" unless I had been there for 24 hours just to keep it simple. I had a blast though. 

• Like 1

For all the Hilton peeps...

Hilton Acquires Graduate Hotels

Hilton today announced the much-rumored acquisition of the Graduate Hotels brand for $210M, which is expected to close in the second quarter.

Currently, 35 Graduate Hotels are open or in the pipeline, and they continue to be associated with the brand under a long-term franchise agreement.

You can access Hilton here and Graduate Hotels here.

On 3/4/2024 at 5:26 PM, The 12th Commandment said:

And then there's Scottish pounds if you go up there.  It was a pita.

If you are in Scotland or Northern Ireland and you are given local bank notes, ask for English ones instead. It’s understood that people who are visiting Scotland or Northern Ireland don’t want the local bank notes when they leave and the establishment giving you the notes should be happy to oblige.

• 2 weeks later...

Any tips for connecting Bluetooth headphones to in flight (back of seat) entertainment systems? 

I know they make bluetooth to 3.5  devices. Anyone have one or recommend one? Going on an international (12+ hr) flight via British Airways at the end of next month and may want to watch what's on board vs loading up my iPad mini. 

Or am I better off just bringing old school not bluetooth headphones?

13 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Any tips for connecting Bluetooth headphones to in flight (back of seat) entertainment systems? 

I know they make bluetooth to 3.5  devices. Anyone have one or recommend one? Going on an international (12+ hr) flight via British Airways at the end of next month and may want to watch what's on board vs loading up my iPad mini. 

Or am I better off just bringing old school not bluetooth headphones?

A lot of bluetooth headphones can be wired up.  I got some $20 noise canceling ones from Amazon that had the codec I needed for lagless audio and I believe they came with a wire to connect it via 3.5mm if I wanted to.

I've only ever seen that on over ear headphones though not ear buds or anything so I'm not sure which you have.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

A lot of bluetooth headphones can be wired up.  I got some $20 noise canceling ones from Amazon that had the codec I needed for lagless audio and I believe they came with a wire to connect it via 3.5mm if I wanted to.

I've only ever seen that on over ear headphones though not ear buds or anything so I'm not sure which you have.

Earbuds as over ear and around ear ones get too hot for me. 

5 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Earbuds as over ear and around ear ones get too hot for me. 

Yah I used to think that too but then I got these ones from Amazon and they don't actually get my ears hot.  I am strictly an ear bud guy otherwise, but my old ones broke and the lagless codec needed for the Switch does not exist in earbuds anymore.

I don't have any experience with those adapters you mention though.

• Thanks 1

Looking for some suggestions on islands in the Caribbean/tropics that I have yet to go to. 

Here is where I have been:

St. Thomas.

St. John

Belize

Aruba

Barbados

Grand Cayman

Bahamas (Nassau)

Turks and Caicos (Providenciales)

Puerto Rico

Roatan

Cancun

Places I don't have interest in are: 

Jamaica

Dominican Republic

Tulum/Mayan Riviera (This isn't a total no for me - would just rather go elsewhere based on what I've seen of this place)

A few places on my radar are the following:

Anguilla

Bahamas (Exuma)

St. Barts

St. Croix

St. Martin

I am just curious if anyone has been to any of these places, or any other places not listed here, that they really like and would recommend.  I primarily want a safe place where I can rent a car and drive around with the family, nice white sandy beaches with clear water to go snorkeling and scuba diving, and also have some good food.

18 hours ago, purbeast said:

Looking for some suggestions on islands in the Caribbean/tropics that I have yet to go to. 

Here is where I have been:

St. Thomas.

St. John

Belize

Aruba

Barbados

Grand Cayman

Bahamas (Nassau)

Turks and Caicos (Providenciales)

Puerto Rico

Roatan

Cancun

Places I don't have interest in are: 

Jamaica

Dominican Republic

Tulum/Mayan Riviera (This isn't a total no for me - would just rather go elsewhere based on what I've seen of this place)

A few places on my radar are the following:

Anguilla

Bahamas (Exuma)

St. Barts

St. Croix

St. Martin

I am just curious if anyone has been to any of these places, or any other places not listed here, that they really like and would recommend.  I primarily want a safe place where I can rent a car and drive around with the family, nice white sandy beaches with clear water to go snorkeling and scuba diving, and also have some good food.

Anguilla - We went August 2022 right before things started closing up for the season. We pretty much had all of Meads Bay beach to ourselves. It was awesome. White beaches with great water. There are plenty of things to do, BUT it's very expensive. Restaurants are very good. We stayed in a condo on Meads Bay so we ate a lot of meals there. AA flies direct from MIA/CLT. Some peeps fly to St. Martin & either fly or take a boat to Anguilla (sounds like a pain in the ass). Also, Hilton has a nice hotel there. I would definately go back.

Curacao isn't on your list. We've been twice & we're going back next February. Kind of the anti-Aruba. Much more European & South American (Venezula) feel. Great restaurants and beautiful beaches. It's actually the biggest ABC island. We wanted to get a car last time but they would only do 3-day minumum rentals. I screwed up not reserving one before we left but already have a 1 day rental for February (they drive on the right same as Aruba). The island has a lot of coves with nice beaches. We stayed downtown (Renaissance) the first time & at the Curacao Marriott the last time. Yes, food & drink are pricey. The people are fantistic and there are great restaurants. 

Anguilla pics - 1st one is from the condo balcony looking NW towards the Four Seasons.

IMG_20220819_082429.thumb.jpg.078b9e8f34cfb087295878c2f643db9f.jpgIMG_20220823_104251.thumb.jpg.8de5c91dcfbb36b7f8f6bfa69ee952c2.jpgIMG_20220821_120211.thumb.jpg.a1f2a66d1a3a12f3a9e00da8ce59f510.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Anguilla - We went August 2022 right before things started closing up for the season. We pretty much had all of Meads Bay beach to ourselves. It was awesome. White beaches with great water. There are plenty of things to do, BUT it's very expensive. Restaurants are very good. We stayed in a condo on Meads Bay so we ate a lot of meals there. AA flies direct from MIA/CLT. Some peeps fly to St. Martin & either fly or take a boat to Anguilla (sounds like a pain in the ass). Also, Hilton has a nice hotel there. I would definately go back.

Curacao isn't on your list. We've been twice & we're going back next February. Kind of the anti-Aruba. Much more European & South American (Venezula) feel. Great restaurants and beautiful beaches. It's actually the biggest ABC island. We wanted to get a car last time but they would only do 3-day minumum rentals. I screwed up not reserving one before we left but already have a 1 day rental for February (they drive on the right same as Aruba). The island has a lot of coves with nice beaches. We stayed downtown (Renaissance) the first time & at the Curacao Marriott the last time. Yes, food & drink are pricey. The people are fantistic and there are great restaurants. 

Anguilla pics - 1st one is from the condo balcony looking NW towards the Four Seasons.

IMG_20220819_082429.thumb.jpg.078b9e8f34cfb087295878c2f643db9f.jpgIMG_20220823_104251.thumb.jpg.8de5c91dcfbb36b7f8f6bfa69ee952c2.jpgIMG_20220821_120211.thumb.jpg.a1f2a66d1a3a12f3a9e00da8ce59f510.jpg

Awesome thanks man.

And yes, Curacao is definitely a place I do want to check out for sure.  Same with Bonaire for their diving.  I totally forgot to put them on the list but they are on there.

I love Aruba in general.  I've been there like 6 or 7 times now and would go back in a heartbeat.  We always stay in the low rise area and rent a car so we drive around to all the different beaches, and one of my all time fav things to do there is rent an ATV for the day and go explore the rugged side of the island.  It really sucks you can no longer take them into the national park though because the drive to the natural pool is like the highlight of that whole trip.  It's so damn rugged and just so damn fun.  But yeah Aruba has definitely gotten busier than when I first went there back in 2005.  I really don't like what they are doing down at Baby Beach now with a resort being built.  That whole beach has changed big time since I first went there, but I still enjoy going there.  

Would you say prices in Curacao are comparable to Aruba?  Or is it more than that?

The most expensive place I've been is Grand Cayman.  I don't know if you've been there or not, but wondering if Anguilla is comparable to that.

In Grand Cayman, a USD is like $.80 of a Cayman dollar.  And on top of that, the prices, in Cayman dollars, are like 25%+ more than what you see in the US.  

So like stuff that is $10 in USA is like $12-$14 in Cayman dollars.  It is one expensive place but man oh man is it so nice there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

Awesome thanks man.

And yes, Curacao is definitely a place I do want to check out for sure.  Same with Bonaire for their diving.  I totally forgot to put them on the list but they are on there.

I love Aruba in general.  I've been there like 6 or 7 times now and would go back in a heartbeat.  We always stay in the low rise area and rent a car so we drive around to all the different beaches, and one of my all time fav things to do there is rent an ATV for the day and go explore the rugged side of the island.  It really sucks you can no longer take them into the national park though because the drive to the natural pool is like the highlight of that whole trip.  It's so damn rugged and just so damn fun.  But yeah Aruba has definitely gotten busier than when I first went there back in 2005.  I really don't like what they are doing down at Baby Beach now with a resort being built.  That whole beach has changed big time since I first went there, but I still enjoy going there.  

Would you say prices in Curacao are comparable to Aruba?  Or is it more than that?

The most expensive place I've been is Grand Cayman.  I don't know if you've been there or not, but wondering if Anguilla is comparable to that.

In Grand Cayman, a USD is like $.80 of a Cayman dollar.  And on top of that, the prices, in Cayman dollars, are like 25%+ more than what you see in the US.  

So like stuff that is $10 in USA is like $12-$14 in Cayman dollars.  It is one expensive place but man oh man is it so nice there.

No, we haven't been to Grand Cayman.

I'd say Curacao vs Aruba is about the same. Anguilla is a bit pricer. ANG 1.00 vs 0.37 USD. 

We spent a lot of time at this place right next to the condo in Anguilla. Prices in USD  -https://www.strawhat.com/   This is pretty typical medium-end place. Here's the Sunset Lounge at the Four Seasons for comparison   https://www.fourseasons.com/anguilla/dining/menus/sunset-lounge-dinner/   My only complaint about Anguilla is getting around. There is no public transportation and taxis are expensive (I don't drive on the left). But I knew that before we went so I budgeted accordingly. I used the same driver the entire time. There are quite a few high-end resorts on Anguilla, no real 'downtown' and definately not a place to bring young kids (probably teenagers, too). We got super lucky with the weather (August in the Caribbean) It wasn't horribly hot and no hurricanes. It's a place to do some serious limin' while visiting the different beaches. 

Another not on your list is Barbados. We went last August (supposed to be in February but my wife broke her shoulder). Bad decision on the timing. Barbados was brutally hot just like the rest of the world in August '23. It was our 3rd time there so we survived and had a good time. We stayed in a condo but have stayed at the Hilton a couple of times, too. Marriott bought a chain of AI's there - $$$. Best part is riding the reggae bus with the locals to get around the island - $1.50/ea to go pretty much anywhere you need to go. The people were incredibly nice. We ate at some very, very nice restaurants. The island has that 'proper Brit' feel to it. 

4 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

No, we haven't been to Grand Cayman.

I'd say Curacao vs Aruba is about the same. Anguilla is a bit pricer. ANG 1.00 vs 0.37 USD. 

We spent a lot of time at this place right next to the condo in Anguilla. Prices in USD  -https://www.strawhat.com/   This is pretty typical medium-end place. Here's the Sunset Lounge at the Four Seasons for comparison   https://www.fourseasons.com/anguilla/dining/menus/sunset-lounge-dinner/   My only complaint about Anguilla is getting around. There is no public transportation and taxis are expensive (I don't drive on the left). But I knew that before we went so I budgeted accordingly. I used the same driver the entire time. There are quite a few high-end resorts on Anguilla, no real 'downtown' and definately not a place to bring young kids (probably teenagers, too). We got super lucky with the weather (August in the Caribbean) It wasn't horribly hot and no hurricanes. It's a place to do some serious limin' while visiting the different beaches. 

Another not on your list is Barbados. We went last August (supposed to be in February but my wife broke her shoulder). Bad decision on the timing. Barbados was brutally hot just like the rest of the world in August '23. It was our 3rd time there so we survived and had a good time. We stayed in a condo but have stayed at the Hilton a couple of times, too. Marriott bought a chain of AI's there - $$$. Best part is riding the reggae bus with the locals to get around the island - $1.50/ea to go pretty much anywhere you need to go. The people were incredibly nice. We ate at some very, very nice restaurants. The island has that 'proper Brit' feel to it. 

Barbados is on my list of places I've already been, I enjoyed it.

I guess I should have mentioned that we are going to be bringing our kids with us when we travel, 9 and 3 years old.

In Anguilla though is it safe to drive around?  I def prefer renting a car and driving around the islands.  Driving on the left doesn't bother me I've done it in a bunch of different places now.

Also, those prices are in ANG on those menus?

Edited by purbeast

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

Barbados is on my list of places I've already been, I enjoyed it.

I guess I should have mentioned that we are going to be bringing our kids with us when we travel, 9 and 3 years old.

In Anguilla though is it safe to drive around?  I def prefer renting a car and driving around the islands.  Driving on the left doesn't bother me I've done it in a bunch of different places now.

Also, those prices are in ANG on those menus?

Yeah it's safe to drive around Anguilla - a very safe island overall. I guess the resorts have activities for kids but you're not going to see the kind of things for kids to do you see on other islands. It's not very commercial at all. 

No, they're in USD.  Here's a restaurant at one of the highe end resorts: https://malliouhana.com/celeste/dinner/

A full cooler, some inflatable rafts & driving to the different beaches would be a very cool. 

2 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Yeah it's safe to drive around Anguilla - a very safe island overall. I guess the resorts have activities for kids but you're not going to see the kind of things for kids to do you see on other islands. It's not very commercial at all. 

No, they're in USD.  Here's a restaurant at one of the highe end resorts: https://malliouhana.com/celeste/dinner/

A full cooler, some inflatable rafts & driving to the different beaches would be a very cool. 

Yeah my kids are cool with going to beaches and hanging out there for hours.  They aren't really into doing a bunch of different activities and stuff at the resorts.

And yah that high end restaurant is kinda similar to a higher end restaurant in Grand Cayman it looks like.  So that kind of gives me an idea of prices for food.

Thanks for the info!

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, purbeast said:

Yeah my kids are cool with going to beaches and hanging out there for hours.  They aren't really into doing a bunch of different activities and stuff at the resorts.

And yah that high end restaurant is kinda similar to a higher end restaurant in Grand Cayman it looks like.  So that kind of gives me an idea of prices for food.

Thanks for the info!

Meant to tell you since you like Aruba: we flew Divi Divi from Curacao to Aruba last month. Double prop tight seats but it was fine. 30 minutes wheels up to landing.