Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bon Appetit: I’m a Vegan Landlord—and I Banned Tenants From Cooking Meat

Cooked Crack

You guys may see this as harmless, but I see it differently. I see some asshole with a little bit of power and authority over other people use it to dictate how they "should" live. He isn't banning it because its dangerous or against the law, he just doesn't like the smell. I can't cook what I want to eat in the apartment that I'm paying 5k a month for? **** you! I don't like the smell of **** either, does that mean I can't eat tacos and **** at home? What about burning vegetables on the stove, is that cool with you?

I had a friend go vegan and turned into an asshole just like this guy. Suddenly, no meat in his house (unless you were some girl he was ****ing) and he would go to McDonald's and order a hamburger with no hamburger on it...a pizza with no cheese or toppings. The only reason he even turned vegan was because some girl he was obsessed over turned vegan too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, tshile said:

The idea of going to McDonald’s and ordering a hamburger with no hamburger in it has me rolling right now 

Haha! Everytime, they would always say "Its still the same price". He would always gladly pay.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

I wonder if this dude can actually fill his property with only vegans or if this is just his own form of financial suicide 

Far as I know, Brooklyn is twisted mustache having, beanie topped, old clothes and fake glasses wearing, vegan hipster central.  Might add ridiculous rent paying to the list.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'd strongly suspect demand > supply. 

I also think if you own (at least) 2 rental properties in Brooklyn, the marginal decrease in rent probably doesn't move your needle. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The closest thing to all meat in the Indian food example would be “any food with strong smells” which I think you could probably do. And rap music “all music” which again I think you could probably do. 

Damn Germans and their cabbage and oompha music. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 1

I agree that you could broaden the "banned" behavior out so it's no longer a proxy for a protected class.  Then you are left litigating what qualifies as a "strong" smell, which seems like an difficult line to draw.  With "no meat" the line is relatively clear* and it's not a proxy for a protected class. 

* I wonder if a tenant could hard boil some eggs?  

17 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I agree that you could broaden the "banned" behavior out so it's no longer a proxy for a protected class.  Then you are left litigating what qualifies as a "strong" smell, which seems like an difficult line to draw.  With "no meat" the line is relatively clear* and it's not a proxy for a protected class. 

Vegan would imply no eggs imo. 

I'd bury Kimchi in my floorboards for future tenants to enjoy. 

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

By gaining some publicity, it's also the ultimate vegan flex of telling a whole bunch of people that you are, in fact, a vegan within 30 seconds of them realizing that you exist. 

Truth Hurts

It's been my experience, that it doesn't take that long.  It's more like 10 seconds...

59 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Vegan would imply no eggs imo. 

The landlord doesn't say you have to be vegan, he says you can't cook meat in the apartment because, quote "I can’t stand the smell of carcasses being cooked."  Biologically, eggs are not meat because they are not made of muscle tissue. and hardboiling one doesn't emit an odor. 

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The landlord doesn't say you have to be vegan, he says you can't cook meat in the apartment because, quote "I can’t stand the smell of carcasses being cooked."  Biologically, eggs are not meat because they are not made of muscle tissue. and hardboiling one doesn't emit an odor. 

I would argue that hard-boiling eggs emits a stronger odor that other ways of cooking them. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

and hardboiling one doesn't emit an odor. 

Must be them fancy rich people eggs that people were complaining about being 20 bucks a carton. 

40 minutes ago, tshile said:

No food that smells and no ovens only microwaves 

5k a month 

sounds awesome 

Imagine how happy you would be surrounded by only vegans though. Your transformation would finally be complete 😛 

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

I would argue that hard-boiling eggs emits a stronger odor that other ways of cooking them. 

I will hard boil some eggs tonight and report back.  In any event, eggs are not meat even if vegans won't eat them so the smell is irrelevant to this situation. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You just need to hire an offensive odor expert to testify…

image.jpeg.022fc5dc9fa4c7aa7318d93a5624ebc3.jpeg

On 6/26/2023 at 1:44 PM, tshile said:

Anyone who’s been around Indian food understands what I’m saying - there’s an immense amount of stuff in the air from all the spices.

Can attest. We bought our house from an Indian couple. Took us about 2 years to get rid of that smell, and I hate Indian food, it's one of the only ethnic foods I just don't like.

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You just need to hire an offensive odor expert to testify…

I can supply said offensive odor.