Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

I don't understand how some players are thinking EB is tough? It's not like he doesn't have 2 SB rings! These players need to shut the hell up and buckle down and be ready for battle. It is not cookie and cream!

it’s “cookies!” Damn dude, no one eats a single cookie. Flipping psycho!!! 

• Haha 7

18 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

. If players came to RR with concerns about EBs behavior during practice, and RR told the players to talk to EB about it, why is the media talking about it?  There was no way to keep that in house?

I'm guessing you skipped over the last couple pages here.

In a press conference Ron was asked about how players are handling E.b and his loud nature and for some inexplicable reason he decided to provide too much information. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

After reading your post I wondered did I miss a Keim podcast?  Because he's not been rosy about the O line in his other podcasts.  He's not over the top negative but certainly not upbeat.  Heck just the other day Paulsen went out of his way to reference the negativity about the unit from the media and specifically referenced Keim and Standig on that front.  

So lol, you forced me to listen to Keim's new podcast a bit early to see if he all of a sudden did a 180.  Typically I listen to them the next morning.   But nope it was the same old same old for him.

Keim who has said this for months, he expects the O line to be better, as to how much better, its hard for him to tell and will that be enough, he's not sure considering they were really bad last year.  He's did a variation of that same point multiple times for months.

Listening to all of his podcasts, I think I just missed one weeks back, Keim comes off on the O line unsure but seems to lean when pushed closer to the cynical side.  He seems more positive about Howell as for leaning positive.   To quote his last comment about it in his podcast "I think the O line is a question."

I don't think he's been that positive, and he still has questions. 

But I think the pod when he was with Bram, and then the one from yesterday and the mailbag today, I think there are more balanced tidbits.  

I do think you can take it however you want to, though.  If you want to focus on the negative/questioning things, they are there.  If you want to focus on the progress and positive things, they are there too.  Whatever you want to see, you can see it, because he is sortof in the middle in terms of his observations. 

He did back up some of Logan's 1:1 comments, commented on Young vs. Leno being pretty even with pads, Cosmi doing a good job with power and winning some reps with Payne.   Said he thought Gates could provide some "nastiness" to the line.  I don't remember exactly what he said about Wylie.  

One of the questions from today's mailbag pod was "who is the weakest link on the OL."  And he went through each of the guys, and had some good things he saw on each, and some bad things.  He settled on LG as the biggest question, but didn't say it was the weakest.  He said Charles can't stay healthy for multiple games at a time, and they haven't seen Paul in that role at all, so that's where the biggest question was.  If he wanted to really bury the OL, this was his opportunity, and he didn't take it.  I thought it was very balanced, sortof a "we'll see.  There's been some good, some bad."  

The two key quotes from his conversation with Bram were "It's not time to panic" and "They will be better, but how much better, we don't know yet."  Both of which I agree with.  

22 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm guessing you skipped over the last couple pages here.

In a press conference Ron was asked about how players are handling E.b and his loud nature and for some inexplicable reason he decided to provide too much information. 

I saw where Ron praised Brissett when asked about Sam and where people were ragging on him for his loose lips.  Frustrating to see Ron give the talking heads fuel for criticism and negativity.  

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

I saw where Ron praised Brissett when asked about Sam and where people were ragging on him for his loose lips.  Frustrating to see Ron give the talking heads fuel for criticism and negativity.  

Yeah he did it again. 

This time when asked about E.b's methods and players reaction he said "a number of players have approached him about it" and then said he just told them to talk to E.b

He could have dodged the landmine but instead he decided to jump on it.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone get the feeling that EB is not Ron's decision?

Maybe this was Harris' choice as Ron's replacement, and Ron is all too happy to fan the flames?

Then he can say "See, he's not head coach material yet. The players don't and won't support his coaching style"

Truth is I like Ron and wouldn't mind letting him staying on a little bit longer. But it all smells kinda fishy. Would've very easy to keep this in house and dodge the question.

5 minutes ago, WFT4Ever said:

Maybe this was Harris' choice as Ron's replacement, and Ron is all too happy to fan the flames?

Then he can say "See, he's not head coach material yet. The players don't and won't support his coaching style"

Truth is I like Ron and wouldn't mind letting him staying on a little bit longer. But it all smells kinda fishy. Would've very easy to keep this in house and dodge the question.

Harris was not allowed to impact any team decisions before the purchase. He had no power to make that move, it’s also not in his M.O. anyways. It’s gotta be a Rivera move. And he and Reid are buddies. 

I know you’re just trying to make sense of the mess Rivera made in the media today, but trust me, he’s just that bad at the podium. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

This has all the makings of going bad fast if the team doesn't perform well from the start. 

Maybe? I'm always kind of surprised by some teams that do get derailed quickly and can't recover. Then others seem to bounce back just fine.

We have at least bounced back well with Rivera.

2022 started 1-4 then finished 7-4-1

2021 started 2-6 then finished 5-4

2020 started 1-5 then finished 6-4

Nothing tops Andy Reid's 2015 Chiefs though, started 1-5 and ending 10-0.

I still remember Marty Schottenheimer starting 0-5, then ending 8-3 and getting fired for the lazy moron Steve Spurrier.

In other news, I'm glad our linebackers aren't playing the Lions. Giants new expensive LB, Bobby Okereke getting roasted by the Lions 1st round RB.

Gibbs is going to be a problem for anybody that faces them. Thankfully that's not us, but our LB's will get their work cut out for them against San Fran with McCaffrey. I know that we're all eagerly awaiting the Ravens joint practice to help gauge the team. It can be a rude awakening, which is apparently what the Giants are receiving. Lions are being reported to be kicking their asses.

Giants aren't going to be blown out of every game this season. Likewise if we crush the Ravens or they crush us, odds are neither team will be as bad as feared.

12 minutes ago, Conn said:

man stop, that isnt EB.

Our last tough coach was Schottenheimer and dan getting rid of him because he was too tough was what flushed our franchise into the sewer

Get tough...being tougher than the eagles or the cowboys is what gets us to the next level...if ya cant take a coach yelling at you, god help us

• Thumb up 1

My whole family is from Kansas. So I get to hear about it every year over and over. My uncle who is the biggest Chiefs fan I know, been watching and going to games longer than I have been alive, sent me this. Dude doesn’t text me often lol

789E3DCB-16E0-4867-BD3A-0C328EF2CA8D.jpeg

We will be fine. Y’all already knew we had a problem here with players not living up to their potential. Let them weak work themselves out of the program. It’s ok. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think he's been that positive, and he still has questions. 

But I think the pod when he was with Bram, and then the one from yesterday and the mailbag today, I think there are more balanced tidbits.  

I do think you can take it however you want to, though.  If you want to focus on the negative/questioning things, they are there.  If you want to focus on the progress and positive things, they are there too.  Whatever you want to see, you can see it, because he is sortof in the middle in terms of his observations. 

I consider myself well versed in Keim speak. :ols:  I did a zoom with him once where he gave a good window into how he does his takes and why he purposely is subtle versus blunt typically.  In short, he gets scoops in part because he's not a flame thrower and doesn't throw sources under the bus.  You can see for example his coverage of Bruce now that he's gone (gloves off) versus how he covered Bruce at the time.  In real time he took slight jabs at Bruce but nothing heavy handed -- and would try to present the other side of the story.

I've listened to Keim to death talking about various subjects this off season, especially the O line and Howell.    And my take of Keim on both where I'll say it more blunt than he does.  Again blunt is not his style.

A.  Howell.  I think he is positive about him.  He is worried about any young Qb succeeding so he's circumspect.  But you can feel his optimistic leaning.  He keeps harping on the dude's intangibles.  Looks better than Wentz did in camp.  Likes his talent.  Kirk comparisons. He seems to spin things in Howell's favor. 

B.  The O line.  He doesn't seem sold on it.  At best he thinks its a wildcard.  His point is it sucked last year.  He's confident its better.  But he doesn't know if that just means it elevates from sucking to being bad.  He said once, not long ago, if the O line doesn't hold up it likely derails the hopes for this season.  He can see it going poorly or maybe just OK.  When pushed on the topic, Keim seems to lean a bit more negative from my observation. 

When Bram goes the O line is better.  Keim for example will respond by saying yeah but that might not be enough considering it was really bad last year.  As is his style, he will present the other side of the argument.  But its not hard to see he's not sold on the O line right now.  He's not in Code Red mode about it -- so if that's your version of optimism, I'll give you that.  And his mind could change, I don't think he's hardcore on it now.

But you using Keim as an example of backing Logan Paulsen's optimism -- so maybe Paulsen is on the money, etc.  That is wildly off IMO.  I know you toned down your point in your response to mine saying he's being "balanced."  Sure, Keim is balanced about everything for the most part.  But if you listen to him enough you can catch his leanings.  And while you were right that Logan was all of a suddent effusive about the unit -- Keim is no where near that planet right now.  I presume that the media will also be nicer to the O line in their reporting in the upcoming days --  since it was brought up in podcasts that its bothering the unit and Rivera wants to prop them up.

As far as Logan goes, don't get me wrong.  Part of me is suspicious of him on the topic for reasons I expressed.  But I also love listening to him.  So i'll stay tuned, maybe he will convince me. 

But Ron won't convince me.  Ron is the same dude who praised Fromm's practice on the day he threw 3 picks.  Same dude that according to Bram would work to convince him and the other reporters that Wentz is playing much better in camp than they think, etc.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Conn said:

Harris was not allowed to impact any team decisions before the purchase. He had no power to make that move, it’s also not in his M.O. anyways. It’s gotta be a Rivera move. And he and Reid are buddies. 

I know you’re just trying to make sense of the mess Rivera made in the media today, but trust me, he’s just that bad at the podium. 

Man is that bad. His podium time needs to be more limited or dare I say removed

1 hour ago, WFT4Ever said:

Who else could it be? EB was hired on Feb 17. Harris could not legitimately influence about hiring until July. Yes, he probably could have thrown a little weight around in March but no earlier. Snyder could have forced it but that is not likely. Nothing fishy, Rivera just has a history of foot in mouth disease.

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Maybe? I'm always kind of surprised by some teams that do get derailed quickly and can't recover. Then others seem to bounce back just fine.

We have at least bounced back well with Rivera.

2022 started 1-4 then finished 7-4-1

2021 started 2-6 then finished 5-4

2020 started 1-5 then finished 6-4

Nothing tops Andy Reid's 2015 Chiefs though, started 1-5 and ending 10-0.

I still remember Marty Schottenheimer starting 0-5, then ending 8-3 and getting fired for the lazy moron Steve Spurrier.

And yet, Ron never had a winning season.

Best he could do was back into the playoffs in 2020 with a losing record and go .500 last year.