Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

I’m hoping for an Olineman to be signed to get @Skinsinparadiseback on side of optimism with the good guys. 

Come on Harris and your analytics person or maybe team already, spit out numbers showing need for an $8million Olineman available in free agency. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I’m hoping for an Olineman to be signed to get @Skinsinparadiseback on side of optimism with the good guys. 

Come on Harris and your analytics person or maybe team already, spit out numbers showing need for an $8million Olineman available in free agency. 

Go sign some O linemen Ron. Win me back 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This is Willy Wonka level stuff. I feel

like I’m in fan Wonderland. 

Pretty sure like 5 kids got murked exploring that house of horrors Willy Wonka called a factory. OSHA violations left and right!

Edited by Conn
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What has significantly changed about the Chiefs to under-perform last year by 4 games?  They were 14-3 last year.  Every year, pundits seem to predict KC is going to win 10 games and they always seem to win 12+.  It's odd. They have the best QB in the league and probably the best coach, and yet every year their "demise" is predicted.  I mean, eventually it's going to be right.  But I wouldn't put money on it this year.

The NFC North having all 4 teams with 10+ wins is also a little odd.  I'm sure whoever did these predictions actually did the math to make sure there were the right number of win/losses based on who's playing who.  Wait.  It's USA Today.  I don't even know if the math works.  But that's odd.

I like that this list doesn't seem to be the "group think" media dribble.  But there are a few things which are a bit bizarre.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

7-10 seems about right to me for this team though 6-10 is preferred or even 5-11. I don't see the Chiefs only winning 10 though, or the Chargers/Broncos being switched either. I predicted Wilson bombing last year, he might be better this time but I doubt their that much better. 10-7 Browns? EH, I guess Watson must be back for that to happen. 

We all talk about the questionable OL and EB helping the passing game. But it’s an underrated concern that we also need more explosion from our running game. Don’t feel like pulling up the highlight right now to check but it’s not a good sign when in his one start, Howell may have rushed for our longest rushing TD of the season. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Conn said:

We all talk about the questionable OL and EB helping the passing game. But it’s an underrated concern that we also need more explosion from our running game. Don’t feel like pulling up the highlight right now to check but it’s not a good sign when in his one start, Howell may have rushed for our longest rushing TD of the season. 

Its funny how I got used to that when Robinson continually got hit right around the line of scrimmage and then drug a couple of defenders for 3 or 4 yards it seemed like the play call worked. Low expectations.

Washington Commanders training camp preview: Will Chase Young regain his old form?

John Keim, ESPN Staff WriterJul 24, 2023, 06:00 AM ET

There’s no question that Washington’s defense has the ability to rank among the NFL’s best. However, for the Commanders to challenge for a playoff spot they must get more help from their offense. It’s not just about Sam Howell’s progress. It’s about the offensive line. It’s about new coordinator Eric Bieniemy, who is installing a new offense. It’s asking a lot for everything to mesh right away, but they must provide enough help in the first half of the season to give themselves a chance for any kind of success.

A lot rides on this happening: Coach Ron Rivera and his staff must show new owner, Josh Harris, why they should be kept around beyond this season. Rivera overhauled key parts of the offensive staff and is entrusting Howell. If the offense sputters, change becomes inevitable.

The player with the most to prove: Chase Young, DE

This was an easy pick. He was the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2020 after Washington drafted him second overall. But since that point, Young has not made an impact -- first because of his play over the first nine games of his second season (1.5 sacks) and then because he tore the ACL and ruptured the patellar tendon in his right knee. That injury sidelined him until the final three games last season.

Washington did not pick up his fifth-year option so Young will become a free agent after the season. The Commanders want to make sure he’s healthy -- and also motivated. They have told him they’ll pay him if he produces, but he needs to make game-changing plays to get back on the track they hoped he was on after his rookie season. It would also elevate their defense.

Most impactful offseason addition: Offensive coordinator/assistant head coach Eric Bieniemy

Washington has not finished with a top-10 ranking in either yards or points per game since 2016. In the last three seasons under offensive coordinator Scott Turner Washington never finished higher than 20th in either category, albeit with subpar quarterback play.

Bieniemy not only brings a new system -- more of a West Coast offense -- but also a more demanding style. Players harped on his attention to detail during spring practices -- and he’s not afraid to chastise any player if they are not doing something the right way. That alone will help this offense. If he can find a creative way to get their playmakers the ball more in space then it could lead to an improved offense.

The most compelling position group: The offensive line

Washington has one of the best defensive lines in the NFL, but the Commanders have not done a good job building their offensive front. They enter camp with more questions, starting with: Have they done enough this offseason? They added Andrew Wylie to start at right tackle, shifted Sam Cosmi from that position to right guard and signed Nick Gates to start at center.

Each move could be a solid one -- and upgrades over what Washington had at those spots most of last season. They do have a question at left guard, with Saahdiq Charles and Chris Paul battling for the position next to tackle Charles Leno Jr. Despite Sam Howell’s inexperience, the biggest question on offense remains the line. If it’s good, then the offense has a chance to be much better. If not? Trouble.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-commanders/post/_/id/43006/washington-commanders-training-camp-preview-will-chase-young-regain-his-old-form

A couple of people who posted on this topic seem sold that Keim is sold on this O line.   I have not felt that way even a little listening to him.  In a recent podcast he was even more explicit about how that unit to him is a wildcard.  Here he doubles down on that unit being a wildcard in writing.

Not that it matters to me what John Keim's opinion is even though I am a big fan of his.   He is a smart guy though.  But I am into Keim when he lets us know that the team's opinion is.

If someone wants a media head sold on this O line it would be Bram.

Edit:  just listened to today's podcast of Keim and Bram and they talked about it.  Bram likes the roster but seems to have backed off some on the O line love, said it was a wildcard for this offense.  Keim also said its a wildcard but thinks it will be better than last season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Warning: Unlike last year you have to park at the Dulles Town Center mall and a bus will take you to the facility (unless you have ADA). Last year you could just park outside the facility and easily walk to the camp.

It's a small gripe but I think they're expecting a lot of people with the bleachers built.

Edited by ixcuincle

9 hours ago, Conn said:

According to Keim, they considered Gibbs and Achane during the draft but the board didn't flow to pick either guy.  Both players are very explosive and fast.

Agree we can use more explosion.  Maybe Gibson?  Will see.  The run-blocking will likely limit this unit IMO but I'd still expect them to be better

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's a refreshingly different look at record predictions. They've got the AFC really cleaning the NFC's clock in inter-conference games.

10 hours ago, Conn said:

Not surprised at all. Watching Trai Turner and Andrew Norwell try and connect with anybody on the move was a nightmare. 2nd level defenders and backside pursuit were always there.