Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

30 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I don't  really believe the rest of the division got better

Eagles filled their losses and should be nfc favorites.

Giants made improvements.

I agree the Boys are a push.

Still those 3 are better than us. Even if go 3-3 in the division, we still finishing no better than 3rd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

While all of that is true, outside of CB depth, the rest could still be the same or worse, while the division got better.

I seriously doubt that we're a 5 win team, but 8-8-1 sounds like us again, but in a more exciting/more frustrating way.

Yeah, it’s hard to point to areas we’re definitively better, because as of now it’s “on paper” vs actuality.  On paper - there’s a lot of promise and a good bit of it isn’t just potential from guys that haven’t shown anything yet.  In actuality - how many guys stay healthy enough, how does the oline perform, and how does their performance, plus a young qb affect the transition to a new offense.

DE - Young looks like he’s gotten his step back

TE - Thomas looks like his old self

RB - Robinson isn’t starting the season injured, and it looks like Gibson will be used in a way better suited to his abilities.

Slot corner - St Juste and Quan (though he has to prove himself) seem to be a clear upgrade over McCain.

Scheme - WCO fits a questionable oline better, built in stuff to deal with pressure, a more cutting edge offense.

Pure potential:

WR - does Dotson take a step forward, does the O fit Samuel (and Dyami) better?

TE - does Turner play more, have he and Hodges developed?

LB - Barton/Hudson vs Holcomb/Mayo (from last year)

QB - Howell’s almost certainly better than TH and Wentz from last year, but he’s young, in a new scheme, has a questionable oline, and we don’t yet know about the mental side of the game for him.

RB - does Rodriguez contribute?

DT - does Mathis improve our rotation?

DE - Young’s clearly more talented than the guys that filled in for him last year… but does/can he play sound football like they did?

Oline - Charles/Paul and Cosmi vs Norwell and Turner.  Low bar, but the ‘new’ guys have plenty of question marks.

It’s going to be an interesting season.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This team went 8-8-1 with:

- Wentz playing badly

- [REDACTED] playing as bad or worse (but a lot luckier due to ritual live animal sacrifices he makes to the football gods)

- both lack of athleticism as well as bad play from Norwell and Turner

- 4 centers

- no actual pass-rushing threat opposite Sweat

- 1 LB who was ok

- No CB depth at all

- Turns out an idiot OC

And they still went 8-8-1!

I have a hard time believing this team is 5-6 games worse than last years team.  It would basically take Howell being as bad or worse than John Beck + Ron leaving him in he entire season for that to happen.  

Im not saying expect them to be a lot better, but I just don’t see them being that bad given a lot of the pieces are back.

Well, Howell will essentially be a rookie going into next year, since he's only had one career start, with 19 pass attempts.  Looking at this from a 1st year QB mindset, he's going to have games where he makes mistakes, and turns over the ball at inopportune times.  99.9% of rookies go through rough patches in their first year, it's just the name of the game.  What I'm more worried about is the O-Line.  I think there's a chance we could be worse this year, because of the huge question mark our O-Line is.  I don't think we got better at O-Line this offseason, and I'm worried that Howell will be running for his life out there early and often, when we play against teams with really good D-Lines, like the Bills, Eagles 2x, and then the Patriots by Week 10.  Our schedule is MUCH tougher this year than last year, so I could easily see us getting off to a rough start, if the O-Line continues its struggles from last year.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

DE - Young looks like he’s gotten his step back

TE - Thomas looks like his old self

RB - Robinson isn’t starting the season injured, and it looks like Gibson will be used in a way better suited to his abilities.

Slot corner - St Juste and Quan (though he has to prove himself) seem to be a clear upgrade over McCain.

Scheme - WCO fits a questionable oline better, built in stuff to deal with pressure, a more cutting edge offense.

Let me preface my reply here by saying that I absolutely hope that you are right and I am wrong...but, i've got a much more pessimistic take on most of these spots:

DE - Young is more of a question mark to me. Until he really has to sustain his level of play through the beating he'll take from OL in live-action, we just don't know what he's going to bring. I also wonder if the contract situation is going to make him a bit of a malcontent.

TE - Thomas has had exactly one good season in his entire career...2020...and then tore the ACL + MCL + both meniscus in one knee. So, asking him to be his "old-self" really won't cut it.  He needs to put up numbers similar to his best season ever...following a devastating injury. He's also going to be 32 in a few days.

RB - I like Robinson + Gibson as a decent RBBC combo.  But, save Robinson's inspirational recovery story, neither of them are anything special.  Nether are complete 3-down backs or game-changers at RB...and, I long for an RB situation where the package isn't telling of the play-call.

Slot corner - The team invested 2 premium draft picks to CB, already one of the better units on the team.  With that, if this isn't a position of strength...something has gone seriously awry.  That said, I would have preferred to direct the draft capital elsewhere.

Scheme - This may depend on how good of a teacher EB and the offensive staff are, and how well they can get everyone schooled on their scheme and operating from the same page...working with a QB with exactly 1 career start certainly isn't going to make that job any easier.  And, while I don't know that our OL is better suited to a WCO, i hope you're right.  To me, they look like a very weak unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Take off the black and maroon colored sunglasses bro.

Cowboys are a push, but even if they take a small step backwards, they're still really good and I think the gnats take the division, despite me thinking the Birds go back to the bowl for a rematch.

The combined record of the giants, eagles and cowboys last year was 35-15-1 its pretty unlikely they'll even match that total much less improve upon it so it's not rose colored glasses to say you don't think the rest of the division got better.

If vegas set the over under on wins at 35 for those 3 teams the under would get hammered.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

I don't  really believe the rest of the division got better

I think the Eagles & Giants definitely got stronger during the offseason.  The Eagles might have lost a few pieces, but they absolutely killed the draft, and they have a rising star in Jalen Hurts.  The Giants upgraded in free agency with the addition of Darren Waller.  Waller will be a HUGE difference maker in the Giants pass game.  Daniel Jones has a legit target now, and Daboll will be featuring him plenty in their offense next year.  The Cowboys might not have done much this offseason, but they still won 12 games last year, and they're still a threat to win the division.  We didn't get markedly better this offseason, so I can't see how we'll be any better than 3rd of 4th in the division next year.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

Let me preface my reply here by saying that I absolutely hope that you are right and I am wrong...but, i've got a much more pessimistic take on most of these spots:

DE - Young is more of a question mark to me. Until he really has to sustain his level of play through the beating he'll take from OL in live-action, we just don't know what he's going to bring. I also wonder if the contract situation is going to make him a bit of a malcontent.

TE - Thomas has had exactly one good season in his entire career...2020...and then tore the ACL + MCL + both meniscus in one knee. So, asking him to be his "old-self" really won't cut it.  He needs to put up numbers similar to his best season ever...following a devastating injury. He's also going to be 32 in a few days.

RB - I like Robinson + Gibson as a decent RBBC combo.  But, save Robinson's inspirational recovery story, neither of them are anything special.  Nether are complete 3-down backs or game-changers at RB...and, I long for an RB situation where the package isn't telling of the play-call.

Slot corner - The team invested 2 premium draft picks to CB, already one of the better units on the team.  With that, if this isn't a position of strength...something has gone seriously awry.  That said, I would have preferred to direct the draft capital elsewhere.

Scheme - This may depend on how good of a teacher EB and the offensive staff are, and how well they can get everyone schooled on their scheme and operating from the same page...working with a QB with exactly 1 career start certainly isn't going to make that job any easier.  And, while I don't know that our OL is better suited to a WCO, i hope you're right.  To me, they look like a very weak unit.

All fair points.  To be clear - the early part of my post wasn’t about how good these guys will be, but were purely points of where we can expect to see tangible improvement over last year (ie, separate from theoretical improvement such that rookies bring, or development you hope to see from young guys).  

So, for example, I’m not expecting Thomas to match or better his best season, but I do expect (if he stays healthy, which I addressed in my first paragraph) to see improvement in his play over last year.

For Robinson, it’s about coming into the season healthy (again, not about his actual talent level).  For Gibson, it’s about the scheme fit - option routes, more screens, and getting the ball to him in space.

The later points in my post were more about potential/hope.  There are reasonable arguments to be made for each point, but also reasons to question them.

• Like 1

Some of the Eagles best players are getting old, they can't stay this good forever. Father Time has to catch up to these guys eventually right?

• Kelce (36)
  • Brandon Graham (35)
  • Lane Johnson (33)
  • Fletcher Cox (33)
  • Darius Slay (32)
  • James Bradberry (30)

They did draft Jalen Carter to replace Javon Hargrave. But I doubt even someone as hyped as Carter can replace Hargrave's production as a rookie. They lost both of their starting safeties, and the replacements are veteran minimum guys. Lane Johnson's last season was one of his healthier ones in awhile. They did lose one of their quality Guards in free agency, but have an in-house replacement with potential. My guess is the Eagles defense gets a little worse, but the offense chugs along normally unless Father Time slows down that offensive line.

-------------------------------------------------

Giants, what did they do to improve an over achieving roster? I'm not really seeing it. Maybe Darren Waller can turn back the clock 3 years, maybe he has something left in the tank? Their safety situation seems problematic. Their best guy Julian Love walked and they're replacing him with our former Nickel Bobby McCain?

I suspect the Cowboys should still be roughly as good as they were last season. Double digit wins.

---------------------------------------------------

Summary

Eagles should still be good but not as good. 10-12 wins

Cowboys are fine. 10-12 wins

Giants seem worse. 6-8 wins

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Some of the Eagles best players are getting old, they can't stay this good forever. Father Time has to catch up to these guys eventually right?

• Kelce (36)
  • Brandon Graham (35)
  • Lane Johnson (33)
  • Fletcher Cox (33)
  • Darius Slay (32)
  • James Bradberry (30)

They did draft Jalen Carter to replace Javon Hargrave. But I doubt even someone as hyped as Carter can replace Hargrave's production as a rookie. They lost both of their starting safeties, and the replacements are veteran minimum guys. Lane Johnson's last season was one of his healthier ones in awhile. They did lose one of their quality Guards in free agency, but have an in-house replacement with potential. My guess is the Eagles defense gets a little worse, but the offense chugs along normally unless Father Time slows down that offensive line.

Giants, what did they do to improve an over achieving roster? I'm not really seeing it. Maybe Darren Waller can turn back the clock 3 years, maybe he has something left in the tank? Their safety situation seems problematic. Their best guy Julian Love walked and they're replacing him with our former Nickel Bobby McCain?

I suspect the Cowboys should still be roughly as good as they were last season. Double digit wins.

Summary

Eagles should still be good but not as good. 10-12 wins

Cowboys are fine. 10-12 wins

Giants seem worse. 6-8 wins

Their depth is absurd. They've drafted Kelces replacement twice and they've become good guards. Dean is poised to run the defense. They drafted Davis last year and added Reddick version 2 in Nolan. The offense added Swift. Miles had a lot of yards, but kinda sucked, especially in the SB. They lost their OC, but the he was replaced by the QB coach who goes back with Hurts, who is now in his 3rd year and should be better. Watkins is supposedly having a great camp and Dvonta Smith might be one of the best WRs in the league, yet isn't the best on his team. They might be getting older, but they also have the experience to go deep in the playoffs, with 9 guys ranked in the top 10 league wide at their positions.

The Cowboys are the team who I think might be due for a big slip that nobody sees coming.

The Giants are definitely trending up, but Barkley may not be back and that'll hurt them.

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

I think the Eagles & Giants definitely got stronger during the offseason.  The Eagles might have lost a few pieces, but they absolutely killed the draft, and they have a rising star in Jalen Hurts.  The Giants upgraded in free agency with the addition of Darren Waller.  Waller will be a HUGE difference maker in the Giants pass game.  Daniel Jones has a legit target now, and Daboll will be featuring him plenty in their offense next year.  The Cowboys might not have done much this offseason, but they still won 12 games last year, and they're still a threat to win the division.  We didn't get markedly better this offseason, so I can't see how we'll be any better than 3rd of 4th in the division next year.

Bearing in mind that the “debate” is around improvement, not talent level or expected wins, this reads to me that you think the Eagles might have gotten better, but it’s unknown for now, and the Cowboys might not have gotten better… so your argument with the poster you responded to rests on 1) Waller (and if he can be healthier than he’s been the last 2 years), and 2) will the Eagle’s rookies be clear upgrades over what they lost.

Sidenote - it’s worth remembering that we played WJIII for what, 8 games?  And McCain was sort of so-so for us.  Who knows how it works out (much like the Eagles, we’re counting on rookies - Forbes and Quan Martin), but we could see a big improvement in our secondary.  Scheme-wise, Daboll completely turned the Giants around in one offseason.  Hard to expect the same to happen here for us, but considering Turner’s faults, it’s certainly possible we see marked improvement (if not the massive improvement the Giants underwent) due to scheme change.  Oline is sort of similar - Norwell, Trai Turner and our center issues set a pretty low bar for improvement.  Do I expect it?  No.  Is it a reasonable possibility?  I think so.  Of course, then you get into health concerns (specifically with Charles, Cosmi, and Gates to an extent), and that’s where one can imagine things going off the rails, especially at the guard spots.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Their depth is absurd. They've drafted Kelces replacement twice and they've become good guards. Dean is poised to run the defense. They drafted Davis last year and added Reddick version 2 in Nolan. The offense added Swift. Miles had a lot of yards, but kinda sucked, especially in the SB. They lost their OC, but the he was replaced by the QB coach who goes back with Hurts, who is now in his 3rd year and should be better. Watkins is supposedly having a great camp and Dvonta Smith might be one of the best WRs in the league, yet isn't the best on his team. They might be getting older, but they also have the experience to go deep in the playoffs, with 9 guys ranked in the top 10 league wide at their positions.

The Cowboys are the team who I think might be due for a big slip that nobody sees coming.

The Giants are definitely trending up, but Barkley may not be back and that'll hurt them.

Not taking anything away from Philly - they’re a damn good team, and I think you did a good job highlighting reasons they could be even better than last year.  With that said, a lot of that is theoretical (even if the points are logical).  One can make similar theoretical arguments for this team - going from essentially scrubs to a healthy Young, using Gibson correctly, scheme change, improved talent at qb, Robinson coming in healthy, Dotson in his second year, Thomas back to his normal self, Davis in his 3rd year, and so on.  Obviously, we’ve become used to expecting the worst, and that negative perception creep causes us to doubt improvement to some extent (which is imminently fair).  As I said earlier, I think it’s going to be an interesting season for this team… and the division as a whole.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Someone help me with the Giants. I am skeptical that they are actually trending up instead of just having a lucky season. I get that the offensive scheme switched to one where Daniel Jones is now a big scrambler, but that sort of took the NFL by surprise. Can that be replicated or will defenses adjust? On the other side of the ball, depending what defensive stats you look at they range from average to awful.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Someone help me with the Giants. I am skeptical that they are actually trending up instead of just having a lucky season. I get that the offensive scheme switched to one where Daniel Jones is now a big scrambler, but that sort of took the NFL by surprise. Can that be replicated or will defenses adjust? On the other side of the ball, depending what defensive stats you look at they range from average to awful.

2nd year in an offense, that added weapons. Great draft. Should be able to be a better team. 

Just a hunch.

I just found out Football Outsiders might be folding. Nooooo.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

2nd year in an offense, that added weapons. Great draft. Should be able to be a better team. 

Just a hunch.

I thought their draft was OK on paper. Clear needs over BPA, so we'll find out I guess. They traded up in the 1st and the 3rd rounds (with Jags and Rams). I can't recall them doing that before.

Btw, speaking of wheeling and dealing. The Rams moved back so many times in the draft they had 14 draft picks! 14!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Not taking anything away from Philly - they’re a damn good team, and I think you did a good job highlighting reasons they could be even better than last year.  With that said, a lot of that is theoretical (even if the points are logical).  One can make similar theoretical arguments for this team - going from essentially scrubs to a healthy Young, using Gibson correctly, scheme change, improved talent at qb, Robinson coming in healthy, Dotson in his second year, Thomas back to his normal self, Davis in his 3rd year, and so on.  Obviously, we’ve become used to expecting the worst, and that negative perception creep causes us to doubt improvement to some extent (which is imminently fair).  As I said earlier, I think it’s going to be an interesting season for this team… and the division as a whole.

Thank you, it's almost as if you read my mind with this post.

People think I'm being overly optimistic but I really think I'm just looking at it with the best possible theoretical lense and not really what I think is most likely going to happen. 

Some teams truly don't have any hope for next year like the cardinals and Texans but we were a .500 team and everything you listed is true.

If most of that stuff works out we could make some noise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

People think I'm being overly optimistic but I really think I'm just looking at it with the best possible theoretical lense and not really what I think is most likely going to happen. 

Some teams truly don't have any hope for next year like the cardinals and Texans but we were a .500 team and everything you listed is true.

Well those teams went to the playoffs and we haven't had a winning record since 2016, so....

4 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Eagles filled their losses and should be nfc favorites.

Giants made improvements.

I agree the Boys are a push.

Still those 3 are better than us. Even if go 3-3 in the division, we still finishing no better than 3rd.

Filling your losses means you're  a push. What are the Giants improvements

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Yeah, I mean when looking at possibilities/probabilities, there’s stuff that could happen because anything could happen, and then there’s stuff that could happen that is actually fairly reasonable.  So theoretically, Howell could be the next Mahomes, but that’s more fantasy than realism.  Howell performing at a roughly average level given what we know (his college performance, his receiving group, a scheme that gets the ball out quickly, etc) isn’t all that outlandish.  Optimistic, yes, but within the margin of realistic possibilities.  And that of course, would represent a very significant improvement over our qb play the past couple/few years.  

Conversely, I have no problem with the line of thought that a questionable oline, Howell’s inexperience, and the implementation of a new offense could mean we don’t see much of an improvement at qb (and therefore in the win column).

Overall, I think the point is there are numerous areas where we could see improvement, as well as numerous areas with question marks (and some of those overlap), and there’s nothing wrong with leaning one way or the other on each factor… as long as we’re keeping it in the realm of reason.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, I mean when looking at possibilities/probabilities, there’s stuff that could happen because anything could happen, and then there’s stuff that could happen that is actually fairly reasonable.  So theoretically, Howell could be the next Mahomes, but that’s more fantasy than realism.  Howell performing at a roughly average level given what we know (his college performance, his receiving group, a scheme that gets the ball out quickly, etc) isn’t all that outlandish.  Optimistic, yes, but within the margin of realistic possibilities.  And that of course, would represent a very significant improvement over our qb play the past couple/few years.  

Conversely, I have no problem with the line of thought that a questionable oline, Howell’s inexperience, and the implementation of a new offense could mean we don’t see much of an improvement at qb (and therefore in the win column).

Overall, I think the point is there are numerous areas where we could see improvement, as well as numerous areas with question marks (and some of those overlap), and there’s nothing wrong with leaning one way or the other on each factor… as long as we’re keeping it in the realm of reason

Scheme and QB are the question marks. 

The skill guys have all experienced success in their roles and have proven they can make special plays. They’re awaiting a modern day pass offense and competent starting QB with ability to play backyard football when needed to realize their ceiling. 

• Like 1

We're getting the biggest monkey off our back as a franchise this year, the Snyders.

IMO, It's finally a year of some blind optimism.

Here it goes:

1-Here's to the Oline shutting all the ES experts and regular experts up and having them be a none issue for most of the year and doing their dang jobs pretty well.  

When we've had a good one we had 7-9 wins, when we had a bad one we had 7-9 wins maybe we've figured something out. 

2- Howell coming out and being that much better than the mediocrity we've thrown out there the last couple of decades. 

3- The Defense being the real deal and squeezing the life out of most teams on a weekly basis. 

We comfortably get to 10 wins and 11 is possible for the first time in forever. We find our QB and next HC.:superman:

Let's start the next 25 on the good foot.

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Strength of schedule to me is just as important as additions/subtractions to the roster. Despite all the issues we had last year (Wentz, O-Line, LB, secondary etc...), we had a relatively easy strength of Schedule compared to the previous years and we went 8-8-1 and the while NFC east division also benefited greatly.

This year our schedule is tougher, meaning it will be a tall task to win 8-9 games like last year, and given uncertainty at QB and o-line, I don't think foresee us improving from last year record-wise. Unless Howell becomes Mahomes light and o-line gels and remains healthy. And the NFC East probably won't replicate the number of wins it had last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ToaCommander said:

Strength of schedule to me is just as important as additions/subtractions to the roster. Despite all the issues we had last year (Wentz, O-Line, LB, secondary etc...), we had a relatively easy strength of Schedule compared to the previous years and we went 8-8-1 and the while NFC east division also benefited greatly.

This year our schedule is tougher, meaning it will be a tall task to win 8-9 games like last year, and given uncertainty at QB and o-line, I don't think foresee us improving from last year record-wise. Unless Howell becomes Mahomes light and o-line gels and remains healthy. And the NFC East probably won't replicate the number of wins it had last year.

SOS to me is about QBs.  We really didn't play against great QBs for the most part.  This year, we play:

Elite QBs:

1). Allen

2). Rodgers

Very good Qbs:

3). Hurts (x2)

Good QBs:

4). Dak (x2)

Average QBs:

5). Tua 

6). Wilson (could fall down a tier)

7). Stafford (Ditto)

8). Geno

Below Average QBs:

9). Daniel Jones (x2)

10.  Mac Jones 

Bad/Unproven QBs:

11). Fields

12). Ridder

13). Darnold

14). McCoy

• Like 1

Rodgers has a losing record to us in his career.  all the NFC East games feature QBs we know, that we've both beaten and lost to.

Josh Allen is the only guy on their likely to wreck us

of the average QBs on mhd24's list three of them could drop to below average, cause that would be Geno returning to normal, and Tua is a massive health risk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrJL said:

Rodgers has a losing record to us in his career.  all the NFC East games feature QBs we know, that we've both beaten and lost to.

Josh Allen is the only guy on their likely to wreck us

of the average QBs on mhd24's list three of them could drop to below average, cause that would be Geno returning to normal, and Tua is a massive health risk

When I look at our opponent year, I’m not just looking at the QB’s we’re facing, I’m also looking at the D-Lines we’ll be going up against.  That makes me nervous, almost as much as facing a good to great QB like Josh Allen, or Aaron Rodgers.  I think our pass rush & our secondary can withstand those kind of QB’s.  It’s the D-Lines like the 49ers, Eagles, Bills and the rest of the AFCE and/or NFCE that will determine how our season goes.