Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former congressman George Santos arrest watch. Federal prosecutors have filed criminal charges against New York Rep. George Santos. (Charged with money laundering, wire fraud, unemployment fraud, lying to the House)

Cooked Crack

8 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I dunno...a Trump endorsement hasn't been paying dividends at the polls for Republicans for about a year now. I could see both Santos and Boebert booted out by voters in the next election.

That would bode well for the Democrat.

But the GOP still licks the boot. It isn't so much a Trump endorsement, it is a quiet little "what will you do to protect der Feuhrer?". And we know what Santos will do.

~Bang

10 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

It's a lean Dem district that went to the Rs due to depressed Dem turnout.  Santos is gone.  

The true reason they are keeping him in the seat is that it is it will be an easy seat to flip. 

Are you suggesting that the Dems decided that enough of them should vote against removal because they think Santos will run for reelection?

I had not considered that (my assumption is Dems want to further chip away at the extremely narrow GOP majority), and I don't think I agree, but it's a pretty interesting theory. 

• 2 weeks later...

Samuel Miele, 27, was charged in August with four counts of wire fraud and one count of aggravated identity theft. He pleaded guilty on Tuesday to one count of wire fraud will be sentenced on April 30. 

Miele, who was accused of impersonating an aide to then-House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) to drum up donations for Santos, is now the second Santos crony to cop a plea deal. Last month, former campaign treasurer Nancy Marks pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy, detailing how she submitted bogus financial reports to make it appear like Santos had more donors than he did.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

‘He’ll be out’: Santos’ GOP critics anxiously await report they hope will help boot him

Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) has evaded two efforts this year to oust him from the House. A third time could end up differently, depending on the results of a long-awaited ethics report this week.

The House Ethics Committee is slated to release the findings of its investigation into Santos regarding a slew of charges, including campaign finance fraud and bribery, by Friday. If it’s damning, as many expect, New York Republicans who have called for his removal are likely to move quickly against him.

Their previous effort fell short of the necessary two-thirds vote, as other Republicans argued against setting the precedent of expelling a member without a conviction. His trial on federal charges isn’t set to begin for nearly a year. Plus, there’s the ever-present problem of the House GOP’s slim majority.

But some members who protected Santos last time have indicated that a convincing ethics report would change their minds.

First-term Rep. John Duarte (R-Calif.) said he would consider voting to expel Santos if the Ethics panel concludes “there’s criminal wrongdoing.”

“The one thing I want to make sure we’re not doing, whether it’s expulsion or censure, is lowering the standards,” he added.

Still, it’s unclear whether a scathing ethics report would be enough to meet the high bar — it would take roughly 80 Republicans siding with all Democrats — for expulsion. Speaker Mike Johnson himself has broadly signaled that he doesn’t want to get ahead of Santos’ trial. 

Click on the link for the full article

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47n6lg1xfwgwpdjdbs5y

On 11/2/2023 at 3:04 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Are you suggesting that the Dems decided that enough of them should vote against removal because they think Santos will run for reelection?

I had not considered that (my assumption is Dems want to further chip away at the extremely narrow GOP majority), and I don't think I agree, but it's a pretty interesting theory. 

its shocking, i know... but i believe that the dems that voted against his removal did so because they actually believed in good governance, and rules-based leadership.    There are processes to deal with ethics violations; these aren't speedy, but there are reasons for that. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1