Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I am still optimisitc about Howell but just in case

3. Quinn Ewers, Texas

Height: 6-foot-2 | Weight: 195 pounds
Class: Redshirt sophomore | Projected range: Round 1

Where he excels: After he turned in an inconsistent first season under center for the Longhorns, many evaluators wanted to see Ewers' production match the hype. He's off to a good start this year, throwing for 1,033 yards, nine touchdown passes and no interceptions, and leading an offense that asks a lot of its quarterbacks. He was listed at 207 pounds last season, but he's now hovering around 195, and that has translated to more agility in the pocket. His mechanics are more urgent, too.

Ewers has the arm strength and accuracy to make any type of throw, and I've seen good improvement in his throws to the deeper parts of the field and taking care of the football. He is also getting better at seeing his pressure points. When blitzed, he is completing 70.3% of his passes with five touchdowns and zero interceptions. In all, he has thrown 226 straight passes without an interception, helping keep the Texas offense on schedule.

Where he needs work: While he has become a better passer in certain areas, Ewers' game-to-game consistency still remains a big question mark. A slow start in the season-opener against Rice was followed by the best performance of his career against Alabama (three TD throws and a 91.9 QBR). A similar sequence happened against Wyoming when he started 1-of-6 but then connected on his next six passes.

"I'm honestly still trying to figure him out," an AFC scout said. "He's getting better each game under [Steve Sarkisian], but I still want to see him be more consistent each week."

130.png&h=110&w=110

4. J.J. McCarthy, Michigan

Height: 6-foot-3 | Weight: 202 pounds
Class: Junior | Projected range: Late Round 1/early Day 2

Where he excels: The Wolverines are placing more trust in McCarthy this season, and it's paying dividends. He is completing an FBS-best 79.8% of his passes and has been accurate to all levels of the field. One of the more impressive parts of McCarthy's game is his efficiency on play-action, where he is completing 83.3% of his passes (24 attempts) and taking advantage of defenses selling out to stop the run.

I really like the ball placement that I see on McCarthy's tape this season, too. He hardly ever forces his intended targets to work to haul in passes, putting throws within their body frames. He has only been off-target on 5.6% of his throws this season. Overall, he has 915 yards, eight TD passes and three interceptions this season.

Where he needs work: After a scorching hot start to the season, McCarthy came back to Earth against Bowling Green when he threw his three interceptions. Lapses in decision-making have plagued him, and they tend to snowball. We saw it in the College Football Playoff game last season against TCU (two interceptions, including a pick-six).

"Harbaugh's still holding his hand a little bit because he knows his bread and butter is the run game," said an AFC area scout. "I still want to see him in more games where they get down early and force him to throw it."

Trying to do too much has led to bad turnovers, and he has to learn to live to see another day by throwing the ball out of bounds or hitting his checkdown.

38.png&h=110&w=110

5. Shedeur Sanders, Colorado

Height: 6-foot-2 | Weight: 215 pounds
Class: Junior | Projected range: Early Day 2

Where he excels: Sanders has been one of college football's surprising breakout stars. After setting multiple records at Jackson State, he transitioned to the FBS seamlessly, compiling a 76.9% completion percentage, 1,410 passing yards, 11 touchdown throws and only one interception so far. The most impressive part of Sanders' game is his accuracy and poise in crucial moments. The overtime victory over Colorado State was an eye-opener for many scouts.

"He knows that the pressure and spotlight is on him, but I love how he embraces it -- he's a confident player," said an NFC assistant general manager.

Where he needs work: The Buffaloes have surrendered an FBS-worst 22 sacks, and many of them can be attributed to Sanders. He is the only FBS passer to face pressure at least 20 times in each game so far, and he tends to hold onto the ball too long, too often. This offense can put up points in a hurry, but when the unit struggles, it can usually be traced back to Sanders taking too long to make decisions. His ability to feel the pressure of collapsing pockets must improve, and I'd like to see more awareness for checkdown options.

264.png&h=110&w=110

6. Michael Penix Jr., Washington

Height: 6-foot-3 | Weight: 213 pounds
Class: Redshirt senior | Projected range: Mid-to-late Day 2

Where he excels: There isn't a hotter hand in the country at the position right now than Penix. The left-handed signal-caller became the first player in program history to have at least 400 passing yards in three straight games. The Washington offense thrives on deep shots, and with an FBS-leading 16 completions on passes of 20-plus yards, he has an explosive arm and a quick release.

Penix is most comfortable playing within the framework of the offense and is at his best inside the pocket. He has totaled 1,571 passing yards, 15 touchdown passes and one interception there, with a 79% completion percentage. (He has 1,636 passing yards, 16 touchdown throws and two interceptions overall.)

Where he needs work: The biggest question raised about Penix will be his injury history -- two torn ACLs in his right knee and multiple injuries to his nonthrowing shoulder -- though he played in 13 games in 2022. A lot of evaluators saw him as a Day 3 player coming into the season but acknowledge that he will keep climbing draft boards as he distances himself from those injury concerns.

Outside of durability, scouts will be watching how he plays when moved off his spots in the pocket. "That offense is absolute fireworks, but he doesn't get touched," said an NFC scouting director. "I don't think we'll get a true gauge of him until the playoffs ... assuming they're able to get in." Through four games, Penix has only been hit on 14.7% of his dropbacks (fourth-least in the nation) and sacked once. But when he does get outside the pocket, he's only completing 35.7% of his throws. Penix can easily scan the field and make throws from a clean pocket, but scouts want to see how he handles pressure.

150.png&h=110&w=110

7. Riley Leonard, Duke

Height: 6-foot-4 | Weight: 212 pounds
Class: Junior | Projected range: Mid-to-late Day 2

Where he excels: Leonard announced his presence in a strong QB class with a season-opening victory over Clemson, where he made timely plays to help the Blue Devils pull off the upset. With a slightly above-average arm, he flourishes in his pre-snap reads and quick passes. The Duke offense is reluctant to go vertical, leaving Leonard with a lot of screens, shallow crossers and curl/flat combinations. It has led to 778 passing yards, two touchdown throws and no interceptions.

One of his better attributes is his running ability, both as a scrambler and on QB-designed runs. Leonard already has two games with at least 90 rushing yards and a touchdown on the ground. He is a competitive runner who can make defenses pay by creating explosive plays.

play

Where he needs work: Leonard is averaging 6.7 air yards per pass attempt (110th in the FBS). The scheme works for Duke, as the team has won all four games this year by at least 20 points -- the longest streak within a season in program history. But the offense also raises questions regarding his draft stock.

"The offense that he plays in is elementary," said an NFC area scout while watching him against Clemson. "I just wish we could see him do more, but we likely won't see that until he gets to the next level."

I've heard more mixed opinions on where he will get drafted than any other QB in the class. Some scouts view him as a potential early-round pick, while others think he's a late-rounder, pointing to his lack of arm strength and the offensive cautiousness of that Duke scheme.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 hours ago, KDawg said:

Sanders is going back to school. I'd rule him out. 

I'm not interested in much outside of Maye and Williams at the moment. Though I am intrigued by Penix. 

Man, that injury history is scary. If he makes it through the season unscathed that would make two years in a row. That would make me feel better. He has a pretty good OL to work behind, wish we could say that with Howell. Being  a lefty, we could give him Wylie on the blind side and test him out under siege  :ols:

On 9/24/2023 at 5:46 PM, KDawg said:

Well, we may actually need a new QB. He may not make it through the year. They are not giving him developing support at all.

I could really see the wheels coming off at this point based on teams figuring out how to beat us with this OL and injuries. Howell could just be in an impossible situation. And honestly, he holds the ball too long. He is almost a rookie, but I'm not sure how much it's gonna improve with time. I feel like that was his tendency also in college and Sam himself has said that's the direction he's gonna lean. 

I want a blue chip player next year on offense, and I think I'd be fine with QB, OT, or Brock Bowers. But, if we draft bowers, we have to fortify OT and LB in FA and we have to draft heavy on OL for the rest of the draft. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm okay taking Brock Bowers in the first round. Wow.

**** me. I logged in just to say get this guy, trade up for him for all I care. Beast.

Like don’t get me wrong, I love Terry Mclaurin and we have some decent guys on offense. But we need a player that can take over a game. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Watching Notre Dame and Duke

Joe Alt is a stud at LT - if he’s on the board when we pick he should be our pick. Suspect he will be gone though assuming we pick in the teens. 

Also Mitchell Evan’s is a heck of TE. He can play as Y and also split out and run routes out of the slot. Really good hands and a truck with the ball in his hands. He’s a Junior I think, not sure if he will come out but if he does he’s someone I’d love to see in Washington.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Watching Notre Dame and Duke

Joe Alt is a stud at LT - if he’s on the board when we pick he should be our pick. Suspect he will be gone though assuming we pick in the teens. 

Also Mitchell Evan’s is a heck of TE. He can play as Y and also split out and run routes out of the slot. Really good hands and a truck with the ball in his hands. He’s a Junior I think, not sure if he will come out but if he does he’s someone I’d love to see in Washington.

Alt is big, fluid and mauling. He has clamps like the jaws of life. 

He’d be great to have. He’s a weapon at LT.

• Like 2

By no means am I giving up on Ron, Bieniemy, and Howell yet, but by the end of the season, we're going to know if they are coming back next year or not.  If we get a new FO and coaching staff next year, they need to have the power to draft QB in '24.  To finally break the cycle of HC and QB failures here, we would need a new regime to form a proper QB-HC marriage in season one.  There is a lot of football left to play, but if Carolina finishes with the first or second pick, that is gonna be up for sale.  Thus there could be a very rare opportunity for a super QB prospect trade up that will cost us dearly, but the upside would be a kid with the talent to be the best QB in the NFL one day.

I'd love to draft Bowers or a blue chip OT, but if we're starting over from scratch, then the home run move that sells this new ownership and gets us a stadium and makes us a marquee franchise is getting Caleb Williams or Drake Maye.

Just gonna say that I think Maye is the most exciting QB prospect I have ever seen.  Even more gifted than Andrew Luck and RGIII were.  He's like the best version of Justin Herbert as a 20 year old.  Except I still think that sells Maye short a little bit, because he's a better and more coordinated athlete than Herbert.  His change of direction and suddenness and coordination in both his hands are so freakishly special for a 6'4 king sized QB, that I've never really seen anything like it before.  He moves like an All Pro wide receiver.  Or maybe a basketball 2 guard is the closer comparison.  Like Drake London.  And when you pair that with good speed and elite arm talent and incredible natural instincts for the game and absolutely no fear, you get something truly special.

And Williams is almost as good as him.  This is a crazy QB year.  Draft opportunities where you can see kids like this coming well in advance don't come around often.  The last time was 12 years ago.  Hopefully we're not in this sweepstakes because Howell absolutely kills it and leads us to the postseason this year.  But if that doesn't happen, then I think we need to dream big.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

By no means am I giving up on Ron, Bieniemy, and Howell yet, but by the end of the season, we're going to know if they are coming back next year or not.  If we get a new FO and coaching staff next year, they need to have the power to draft QB in '24.  To finally break the cycle of HC and QB failures here, we would need a new regime to form a proper QB-HC marriage in season one.  There is a lot of football left to play, but if Carolina finishes with the first or second pick, that is gonna be up for sale.  Thus there could be a very rare opportunity for a super QB prospect trade up that will cost us dearly, but the upside would be a kid with the talent to be the best QB in the NFL one day.

I'd love to draft Bowers or a blue chip OT, but if we're starting over from scratch, then the home run move that sells this new ownership and gets us a stadium and makes us a marquee franchise is getting Caleb Williams or Drake Maye.

The cost would be extreme to reach one of those two QB's, probably Howell and an RG3 type draft capital trade. That would be a giant statement move for the ownership. 

We would then be strapped with making some big upgrades on the OL or risk killing our shiny new toy. 

Can't wait to see what the off season brings beginning with the GM and coaching. All that and having someone not named Ron running the draft. 

Assuming we are out on that trade, Howell survives the season and shows improvement, we need to get him the best protection out there and improve weapons.

Love you passion for these two guys! :ols:

I don’t think a top pick is up for sale from Carolina. I think they take Marvin Harrison, Jr without hesitation.

I also still don’t agree that Howell is tied to Rivera. Howell is tied to whoever the GM/HC is. If they like him, they’re going to keep him. If they don’t, they won’t. We have no way of knowing. But given Howell’s play so far I think going for the high end QB, trading away assets and not being able to protect him is a bad strategy.

Edited by KDawg

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Carolina doesn't have their pick.  Chicago does from the trade down last year.

On 9/30/2023 at 6:14 PM, Riggo#44 said:

I'm okay taking Brock Bowers in the first round. Wow.

Naw. TEs in the 1st are a trap.

Remember the insane hype Kyle Pitts got? I said at the time he wouldn't live up and he's been completely invisible in the NFL.

You want a good TE you take one between rounds 3-5. 2 at the earliest.

58 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty great spot for the Bears. #1&2  probably and over $100 mil is cap space.

They could completely turn their team around by hiring an offensive minded head coach and drafting Williams/Maye and Marvin Harrison Jr.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Carolina doesn't have their pick.  Chicago does from the trade down last year.

Hmm, that is very interesting then.  If they finish with the top two picks, that means one of Maye or Williams will definitely be for sale then.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

They could completely turn their team around by hiring an offensive minded head coach and drafting Williams/Maye and Marvin Harrison Jr.

Williams and Maye are going #1 and #2 in some order, no matter who gets the first two picks.  The Bears will be getting an RGIII or Trey Lance type of haul for that #2 pick if they end up with 1 and 2.

23 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Williams and Maye are going #1 and #2 in some order, no matter who gets the first two picks.  The Bears will be getting an RGIII or Trey Lance type of haul for that #2 pick if they end up with 1 and 2.

Maybe, but man it'd be tough to pass up on Harrison jr.