Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I felt that Texas had four elite players last year: the two DTs, the LT, and Brooks.  Brooks looks like a star who would probably go in the first round if he hadn't torn his ACL.  I wonder what that does to his stock?  I wouldn't draft him at 36 or 40, but would at 67.

I wonder if the Brian Thomas interest indicates a preference for Jayden Daniels at 2?  He's the kind of big elite vertical weapon that Jayden needs in order to thrive.  But I feel like he'd be a potent weapon for Drake Maye too.  Drake likes to throw the ball high on the sidelines and needs someone with a big catch radius to handle that smoke.  He also likes to throw the ball deep too and is a way better third level thrower than Daniels.  He would actually be able to get the ball to Thomas on time and in stride with consistency.

19 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I think Thomas is kind of going to fall through no fault of his own.  With the depth of this class, who is taking him in the teens?

I picked for Jacksonville in the ES mock and the two most common picks I saw for them in mock drafts were Wiggins or Thomas.  I think there is a really good chance Thomas is their pick.  I took Latu FWIW, because I have him higher on my board.  They also have a budding issue at edge because Travon Walker kind of sucks and Josh Allen is playing on the franchise tag.  I think their pick is 55% chance of Wiggins, 45% chance of Thomas.  If Wiggins is gone, then this is where I think Thomas gets drafted.  If not here, then I think the Bengals would take him.  No matter what, he'll be gone by Buffalo's pick.

If we want Thomas, we're going to have to pay for him IMO.  I don't see him dropping into discount territory because he doesn't have any holes in his resume.  100 percentile measurables, ridiculous film, and a significant cliff at WR immediately following him.  I still think I would only package the two seconds together for Bowers or Verse, but Thomas is tempting.  If he can make it past Jacksonville and Cincy, then we would be able to get him with 36 and one of the thirds most likely.

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I picked for Jacksonville in the ES mock and the two most common picks I saw for them in mock drafts were Wiggins or Thomas.  I think there is a really good chance Thomas is their pick.  I took Latu FWIW, because I have him higher on my board.  They also have a budding issue at edge because Travon Walker kind of sucks and Josh Allen is playing on the franchise tag.  I think their pick is 55% chance of Wiggins, 45% chance of Thomas.  If Wiggins is gone, then this is where I think Thomas gets drafted.  If not here, then I think the Bengals would take him.  No matter what, he'll be gone by Buffalo's pick.

If we want Thomas, we're going to have to pay for him IMO.  I don't see him dropping into discount territory because he doesn't have any holes in his resume.  100 percentile measurables, ridiculous film, and a significant cliff at WR immediately following him.  I still think I would only package the two seconds together for Bowers or Verse, but Thomas is tempting.  If he can make it past Jacksonville and Cincy, then we would be able to get him with 36 and one of the thirds most likely.

He doesn't go past Pittsburgh IMO.  I know they need OL help, but they can get a RT prospect in R2.  They won't get a WR like Thomas.  They traded away Johnson.  Pickens is uber talented, but you just don't know what you'll get from him.  

Maybe we're bringing in Thomas jr the same day as Daniels so we can use Thomas to get an extra evaluation of Daniels while still scouting a guy that there is a chance we could get?(as opposed to Nabors where there is no chance)

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ladd is tough for me to pass on.  If I had to pick one guy in this draft that would be tops on my guys list it would be Ladd, he was one of my early draft crushes.  His floor is high IMO and ceiling is plenty high enough.  Then you add all the intangibles which remind me some of Terry.

As far as high floor Wrs, I got a lot of faith though in Pearsall, R. Wilson.  Burton would be on that list with me too if his character checks out.

But especially if we take Maye, McConkey seems so tailor made.  He's the type who if he played for McVay would catch 100 balls assuming he stays healthy.  But I don't think Pearsall and Wilson who have similar style to their play are a mile away.  In short, I'd kill for one of those three and that goes double if we took Maye.

Otherwise if we wait to the 3rd-4th -- Thrash, Burton (if he falls), McMllian, Polk, Johnny Wilson.  I think McMillian might be the safest in that mix.  But I like the others upside more.  Johnny Wilson I go back and forth on.  But there was one draftnik who made a good point that look at him as a hybrid WR-F TE type.  

If they take JD, a Pearsall or Wilson may make some sense given the built in chemistry they have with JD after having played with him at AZ St. Can’t hurt to give a rookie receiver someone they already know well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I felt that Texas had four elite players last year: the two DTs, the LT, and Brooks.  Brooks looks like a star who would probably go in the first round if he hadn't torn his ACL.  I wonder what that does to his stock?  I wouldn't draft him at 36 or 40, but would at 67.

I wonder if the Brian Thomas interest indicates a preference for Jayden Daniels at 2?  He's the kind of big elite vertical weapon that Jayden needs in order to thrive.  But I feel like he'd be a potent weapon for Drake Maye too.  Drake likes to throw the ball high on the sidelines and needs someone with a big catch radius to handle that smoke.  He also likes to throw the ball deep too and is a way better third level thrower than Daniels.  He would actually be able to get the ball to Thomas on time and in stride with consistency.

Agree, I made similar points on the QB thread yesterday.  Legette to me is the poor man's version of Thomas and if I recall they are meeting with him, too.

While I’ve defended Terry and Jahan on the poor separation numbers (lot of surrounding factors), given their strengths are speed and route running, IMO they are better suited to intermediate/deep routes.  So I kinda think it makes the sense for us to add a guy that can work underneath.  Obviously we could stand to add some size to our receiving corp as well.  Of course it depends on when these types might be available, and I’d add that I would give an edge to a prospect that excels in RAC/YAC.  Maybe we wait on a slot guy until later in the draft (McCaffrey for instance), and add a bigger guy (ala Legette) early?

Point being, I think I’d prioritize quick separation, size, RAC, and then deep speed, in that order, with the caveat that decent hands (at a minimum) are a must.  

• Thumb up 1

I know KK likes to throw a lot of screens so it makes sense to get a guy with really good YAC ability. McConkey and Corley both would be ideal(although they're different types of players).

I think pure speed burners are a bit overrated. We tried that with Dyami Brown and he never gets open and has not made a single play in three years.

• Like 1

I am stoked about this one, Wiley is one of the guys I was early on.  I don't have my typical 3-4 TEs who are under the radar that I like in this draft.  Wiley was my only really under the radar guy months back.  But he's not an under the radar guy anymore.

With his size and speed -- really good potential.  It wouldn't shock me if he ends up better than both Sanders and Stover.  He might end up TE #3 with me but still deciding on that.  One other dude I've warmed up on is McLachlan.  I've tried to get into Theo Johnson, don't love him, don't hate him but am having a hard time getting excited about him.  I'd go Wiley over Johnson.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I know KK likes to throw a lot of screens so it makes sense to get a guy with really good YAC ability. McConkey and Corley both would be ideal(although they're different types of players).

I think pure speed burners are a bit overrated. We tried that with Dyami Brown and he never gets open and has not made a single play in three years.

Dyami was a “deep threat” in college but doesn’t have burner speed. Doesn’t have good hands. Doesn’t have any ability to beat press, fairly poor route runner. Coming out he basically beat guys on basic double moves a lot. Just a bad draft pick and a reach. Someone who was actually a deep threat could fit here imo

Heavily incorporating screens and featuring YAC on short balls is great but you don’t want to overly compress the field 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

NFL defenses trended back to the two high safeties last year, so the guys with that top end deep speed are a little less valuable now, compared to the twitchy short burst quick separator types.

I always think about DJax. The bulk of his receptions in Philly, were within 10 yards of the LoS, even though he may have been the best deep ball tracker we've ever seen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am stoked about this one, Wiley is one of the guys I was early on.  I don't have my typical 3-4 TEs who are under the radar that I like in this draft.  Wiley was my only really under the radar guy months back.  But he's not an under the radar guy anymore.

With his size and speed -- really good potential.  It wouldn't shock me if he ends up better than both Sanders and Stover.  He might end up TE #3 with me but still deciding on that.  One other dude I've warmed up on is McLachlan.  I've tried to get into Theo Johnson, don't love him, don't hate him but am having a hard time getting excited about him.  I'd go Wiley over Johnson.

Soft hands! :)  Catches just about anything near him and no body catches from what I can tell. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Rosengarten at 67 would be great.

Supply and Demand, he's likely to go that high too.  I was hoping with our last 3rd rounder HIGHLY doubt it.  He may last until our 2nd 3rd rounder though.

Edited by RWJ
  • Thumb up 1

This draft is going to be so incredible for us. I stil think a trade back from somewhere happens to get us more day three picks, but we clearly wanted to be in the 3rd round more.

Between this FA period, the draft, final FA period and all the coaching and training changes, it's truly remarkable what one offseason can accomplish. 

• Like 5

I'm looking at CB's, and I don't have anyone whose as good as my Top 2 from last year (Witherspoon and Porter). I've got a few more to watch, but in general I'm glad I'm not going into the 1st round wanting to spend a top pick on a CB. Kool-Aid is thought of as a faller who could be at 36, and he's one of my top guys. He's one of my few BPA's at 36. Otherwise it's a trade down and grab prospects at more reasonable values.

Guys mocked ahead of Kool-Aid that I'm lower on:

Nate Wiggins, Terrion Arnold, Cooper DeJean.

I think Arnold and DeJean could get better, but I'm fairly low on Wiggins.

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

NFL defenses trended back to the two high safeties last year, so the guys with that top end deep speed are a little less valuable now, compared to the twitchy short burst quick separator types.

I always think about DJax. The bulk of his receptions in Philly, were within 10 yards of the LoS, even though he may have been the best deep ball tracker we've ever seen.

I recall one 88 yard TD to open the game against some team that one time …

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I'm looking at CB's, and I don't have anyone whose as good as my Top 2 from last year (Witherspoon and Porter). I've got a few more to watch, but in general I'm glad I'm not going into the 1st round wanting to spend a top pick on a CB. Kool-Aid is thought of as a faller who could be at 36, and he's one of my top guys. He's one of my few BPA's at 36. Otherwise it's a trade down and grab prospects at more reasonable values.

Guys mocked ahead of Kool-Aid that I'm lower on:

Nate Wiggins, Terrion Arnold, Cooper DeJean.

I think Arnold and DeJean could get better, but I'm fairly low on Wiggins.

Yeah the CB class is solid and deep but none of them are elite lockdown types like Surtain, Sauce, or Spoon who were basically all slam dunks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sneaky good hands and very good at high pointing the ball(granted his QB wasn't a world beater). Definitely has that dog in him. Kinda reminds me of Ertz in how I can see him being a nightmare with his speed at that size.

I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we took him.