Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, sjinhan said:

We need to try to take a chance to find a Tyreek Hill

https://t.co/9JSltnjEUC

forget the overall score that is impacted by size and weight but focus on the speed and quickness metrics.  Then if the dude can catch then we should take a chance

any of these guys in the draft this year?  Andy Reid always seems to find them…. Maybe we will find one with Adam Peters here.

You do not want to ignore the size and weight portions of it, size-adjusted speed score is a much better indicator. DK running what he ran is much more impressive than a John Ross for instance, even setting aside their football skills (which you should never do). Tyreek is another good example, the guy is yoked and thick, he’s blazing fast but he’s also one giant muscle, not a Desean Jackson. It’s part of what makes him special 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

And I think I saw where he and Reid later upped their estimates to 6 QB, 7 OT and 8 WR, which would result in 25 of 32 first round picks on offense. No way, right? Seems nuts. If that did happen though, seems like Commanders would have some really good choices on D for 2nd round picks.

7 hours ago, MartinC said:

I watched a lot of Notre Dame last year - I think he can run a touch faster than that and expect he will at some point before the draft. But he’s not a 4.5 guy, he lcks a top gear. But he does a lot of other things really well and will be a productive NFL back. He has good vision, is patient, runs inside out (so doesn’t bounce it too soon if he see color inside) and he’s a load to tackle once he gets churning. Underrated catching the ball as well. 

He’d be a good backup to Robinson if we are going to run a lot of inside zone/gap. Without us knowing what we want to do with the run game it’s hard to project backs.

He's my favorite back in the class.  I think his vision and pacing and backfield creativity are as good as it gets, and I love how efficient he is in everything he does.  A lot of that ability to create does stem from his power and balance, but he is just superlative at picking the right track and knowing when to press the hole.  He's the most instinctive back I've seen in a long time, and I agree that he has clutch hands and real talent for catching the ball.

The lack of a top gear stems from his build and stride length (he's really high cut but also has a tiny stride), but he still rips off a lot of chunk plays anyway.  The home run he hit against NC State was impressive open field running, and he can dust backfield penetration because of his instinctive and efficient pacing and pathing of his runs.

The dude is just really good at football and is way more than the sum of his parts, and his crazy high PFF scores hint at this quality in his game.  I'm actually excited that his 40 time sucks so bad, because I think we'll be able to draft him in the fifth round.  I think he's a huge value in that range, because I think he's the best back in the class.  No question for me that he's the best between the tackles runner this year, and his young age makes him desirable over most of the other top guys, especially if he goes late in the draft.

• Like 2

Xavier Worthy's speed and explosiveness are incredible, but he has no power in his game, and his combine begs the question of why wasn't he a big time deep threat?  He definitely wasn't as good a college player as John Ross was either.

I still don't like either of the Texas receivers despite how well they tested.  I'm glad to see that Leggette tested well, which eases some concerns I've been having about him.  But I'm not pressed to draft any of those players because my favorite WRs all put up good times.  McConkey, Thrash, Pearsall, and McCaffrey all ran really well, and Wilson put up an amazing workout for his size.  Polk ran pretty well too.

I was skeptical about this WR group at first, but I was wrong.  It's the deepest and most athletic position group in the class, and maybe the best WR class of the past decade.  There are a ton of flawed but intriguing prospect like Coleman and Mitchell and Leggette and Wilson and Watkins in the group, where any one of them might hit and become a way better pro than college player.  They all have the upside of an NFL star wide out.  But there are also a lot of well polished grinders like McConkey and Thrash and Polk who also have the athleticism to be good NFL players too.

McConkey at 36 is one of my favorite outcomes for that pick, but I wouldn't despair if he goes before our choice.  Thrash or McCaffrey on day three is one of my favorite outcomes too.  Thrash is a major sleeper IMO.  He's a three level threat who is one of the best at separating in the class due to a combo of good speed and highly deceptive route running and skilled zone navigation.  He's reminiscent of Devonta Smith.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

Pearsall makes some unreal catches too! 

He and McConkey IMHO have very little potential bust in them.  Legette who i do think drops to the 2nd intrigues me still too but IMO has some bust potential 

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Still a fan on Polk, think he has a solid showing. He’s going to end up a mid round steal after some of these other receiver performances.

Me, too.  But I got McConkey and Pearsall over him.

• Like 1

Roman Wilson also in that McConkey and Pearsall brand.  I'd go McConkey and Pearsall over him because IMO they are more explosive.  But Wilson also strikes me a high floor slot WR in the pros. Crafty route runner, some decent subtle double moves.  Menace on that 2nd level with crossers, seam routes.  All three were a handful to deal with for CBs in the Senior Bowl. 

I started the process hung up on a tall physical receiver who is a deep threat.  Am not as hung on it now considering good chance the higher floor WRs in the 2nd round-early 3rd are these guys.

And especially if they take Maye, this is his wheel house, that 2nd level.  Also at least to my eyes, Mayes misses are often lateral not high.  For exampl Wentz often misses high when he misses so I especially liked tall receivers for him. 

As to Xavier Worthy, I said pretty much the same stuff when I watched him a while back that @Going Commandohas said and repeated yesterday.  The dude isn't physical.  Doesn't make many deep plays.  I'd add he also has had some drops.  But I'll give Xaver that he's fun with the ball in his hands on the first level.   Can he develop into a legit deep threat?  Maybe.  Not sure.  I notice PFF touts him for it even though their own metrics don't back it up.  But I gather its just the theory that someone who is that fast would be a deep threat and he did do it on occasion.

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 9.54.13 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

"4) Reiman's star turn. Illinois TE Tip Reiman has made the most of his NFL Scouting Combine experience.

The unheralded blocking tight end earned a little internet notoriety this week with his "birds aren't real" take during media access, asking rhetorically: "Have you ever seen a baby pigeon?" and "How do we know that power lines aren't pigeon recharging stations?"

4) Reiman's star turn. Illinois TE Tip Reiman has made the most of his NFL Scouting Combine experience.

The unheralded blocking tight end earned a little internet notoriety this week with his "birds aren't real" take during media access, asking rhetorically: "Have you ever seen a baby pigeon?" and "How do we know that power lines aren't pigeon recharging stations?" "

Oh, my ****ing god. There is one of them there that doesn't believe in space and one that doesn't believe birds are real? BIRDS? And they say this stuff out loud. For other people to hear. What is up with the world these days?

Also, Johnny Wilson had a pretty good combine. He's 6'6" and 231 with 35" arms, ran a 4.52 40, had a 37" vertical and 10'8" broad jump. That is pretty intriguing. 

Also, Keon Coleman is going to fall with that 4.61. He also becomes intriguing to me in the later rounds. 

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

"4) Reiman's star turn. Illinois TE Tip Reiman has made the most of his NFL Scouting Combine experience.

The unheralded blocking tight end earned a little internet notoriety this week with his "birds aren't real" take during media access, asking rhetorically: "Have you ever seen a baby pigeon?" and "How do we know that power lines aren't pigeon recharging stations?"

4) Reiman's star turn. Illinois TE Tip Reiman has made the most of his NFL Scouting Combine experience.

The unheralded blocking tight end earned a little internet notoriety this week with his "birds aren't real" take during media access, asking rhetorically: "Have you ever seen a baby pigeon?" and "How do we know that power lines aren't pigeon recharging stations?" "

Oh, my ****ing god. There is one of them there that doesn't believe in space and one that doesn't believe birds are real? BIRDS? And they say this stuff out loud. For other people to hear. What is up with the world these days?

Also, Johnny Wilson had a pretty good combine. He's 6'6" and 231 with 35" arms, ran a 4.52 40, had a 37" vertical and 10'8" broad jump. That is pretty intriguing. 

Also, Keon Coleman is going to fall with that 4.61. He also becomes intriguing to me in the later rounds. 

Weird for Reiman.  I know Schrager has some big man crush on Reiman.  i watched one game where I thought "meh" but I'll watch more.

Johnny Wilson is sort of my Theo Johnson.  I watched both got bored and couldn't land on a take.  I'll rewatch them.   

Actually Coleman is another dude I have a hard time coming up with a take on.  Poor man's Drake London?  He's more appealing to me if they take Jayden Daniels who likes to throw fades in to the end zone (lol, maybe that's way Jay likes Daneils so much, Kirk struggled with the fades).  I think he might be better even though he's a big dude playing out of the slot like he did some for FSU this year.

Isn't the pattern that Peters followed in SF to look at receivers with some physicality? I mean not all Deebos and Kittles, but Aiyuk is pretty physical too. I'd think the receivers in that mold in this group include Legette, Corley, Means from Pitt....?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Xavier Worthy's speed and explosiveness are incredible, but he has no power in his game, and his combine begs the question of why wasn't he a big time deep threat?  He definitely wasn't as good a college player as John Ross was either.

I still don't like either of the Texas receivers despite how well they tested.  I'm glad to see that Leggette tested well, which eases some concerns I've been having about him.  But I'm not pressed to draft any of those players because my favorite WRs all put up good times.  McConkey, Thrash, Pearsall, and McCaffrey all ran really well, and Wilson put up an amazing workout for his size.  Polk ran pretty well too.

I was skeptical about this WR group at first, but I was wrong.  It's the deepest and most athletic position group in the class, and maybe the best WR class of the past decade.  There are a ton of flawed but intriguing prospect like Coleman and Mitchell and Leggette and Wilson and Watkins in the group, where any one of them might hit and become a way better pro than college player.  They all have the upside of an NFL star wide out.  But there are also a lot of well polished grinders like McConkey and Thrash and Polk who also have the athleticism to be good NFL players too.

McConkey at 36 is one of my favorite outcomes for that pick, but I wouldn't despair if he goes before our choice.  Thrash or McCaffrey on day three is one of my favorite outcomes too.  Thrash is a major sleeper IMO.  He's a three level threat who is one of the best at separating in the class due to a combo of good speed and highly deceptive route running and skilled zone navigation.  He's reminiscent of Devonta Smith.

Considering the depth of the class and the obvious OL needs right, wouldn't waiting on WR be a better outcome?  We probably get a contributor with our early 4th whereas the OL will likely be wiped out.  We also have a big edge need.

Right now (especially with the Leno release), we have to go:

#2 (QB)

#36 (OL/Edge)

#40 (Edge/OL)

#67 (LB/Skill/CB)

#101 (CB/LB/Skill)

#103 (Skill)

#138 (RB)

Now, we'll fill some holes in FA, but I can't see us taking WR with that either 2nd considering the OL & edge needs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

He's my favorite back in the class.  I think his vision and pacing and backfield creativity are as good as it gets, and I love how efficient he is in everything he does.  A lot of that ability to create does stem from his power and balance, but he is just superlative at picking the right track and knowing when to press the hole.  He's the most instinctive back I've seen in a long time, and I agree that he has clutch hands and real talent for catching the ball.

The lack of a top gear stems from his build and stride length (he's really high cut but also has a tiny stride), but he still rips off a lot of chunk plays anyway.  The home run he hit against NC State was impressive open field running, and he can dust backfield penetration because of his instinctive and efficient pacing and pathing of his runs.

The dude is just really good at football and is way more than the sum of his parts, and his crazy high PFF scores hint at this quality in his game.  I'm actually excited that his 40 time sucks so bad, because I think we'll be able to draft him in the fifth round.  I think he's a huge value in that range, because I think he's the best back in the class.  No question for me that he's the best between the tackles runner this year, and his young age makes him desirable over most of the other top guys, especially if he goes late in the draft.

He'll fall, but I figure we'll have to take him with that early 4th.  You think he lasts that long?  I really liked how Rodriguez ran last  year in his limited reps.  The key is that at least one backup RB must be able to play teams. 

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Are people sleeping on Trey Benson? He ran 4.39 40, the little I saw he caught the ball well and a home run threat at 225 lbs. What am I missing on him?

I love Benson. I think he's pretty much the top dog for most. I think it's just mostly a result of his position. Nobody loves RB's anymore but I sure do. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Also, is there a more useless measure at the combine than the bench press? Replace it with how many times you can clean and jerk 225. That’s a more useful measure of functional strength.

34 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Isn't the pattern that Peters followed in SF to look at receivers with some physicality? I mean not all Deebos and Kittles, but Aiyuk is pretty physical too. I'd think the receivers in that mold in this group include Legette, Corley, Means from Pitt....?

This has been my thoughts as well. Legette, Corley, and I'd add Coleman along with a really good fitting later rounder like Bub that feels like a Peters pick...good call with him! 

On 3/1/2024 at 10:47 AM, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Hard pass on trading up 20 spots to mid-1st for a TE. The trade cost to do that is so large, you'll have to really make the most compelling argument you can that Bowers is worth it.

I like Bowers, but i agree with others if we trade up it is for one of these scenarios:

1. Draft QB with first pick trade up for one of the below:
2. Draft WR/TE/OT with first pick and trude up for one of the below:

OT
DE
WR

I don't see  trading up for TE when we have so many holes and may sign someone in FA.

I imagined us looking at Bucky Irviing, Isaiah Davis, Cody SHrader, or Ray Davis, but Shrader ran a 4.61 Isaiah Davis who i thought looked fast on tape is 4.57!

Did frank gore jr not get an invite?

Edited by Veretax
double quotes?

17 hours ago, Blanka said:

Tried to limit my list to guys that seem attainable at our picks or a reasonably trade up-able range

WR: AD Mitchell, Ladd, Malachi Corley, Javon Baker

TE: Sinnott, Holker (late)

OL: Beebe, Powers-Johnson, Fuaga, Jordan Morgan, Zak Zinter (later coming off injury)

Edge: Jonah Elliss, Bralen Trice, Mo Kamara (later)

LB: Payton Wilson, Junior Colson, Edgerrin Cooper, Ced Grey, Ty'Ron Hopper (late)

CB:  Max Melton, Andru Phillips, Kamal Hadden(later), Myles Harden (Late)

NB: Mike Sainristil

S: Calen Bullock (single high), Jaden Hicks, Cole Bishop, Javon Bullard (buffalo nickel)

*whispers* BTJ my WR6. I have McConkey WR5

It's nothing against Thomas I love his game as well, I'm just higher on AD and Ladd than the consensus. I love this WR class

Holker seems inconsistent to me, but we need 2 TEs this off seasn so.

MItchell went up in my stock after that 40 run.  I am not familiar with Backer but I imagine Corley is gone. I wasn't as big on Keon Coleman as some, 

I expet Troy Franlin to be gone though.

Guys I've been looking at that I like a er Jalynn Pok, Xavier Legette, Jalen McMillan, Johnny Wilson.  I also like the idea of taking Brenden Rice, I know he may need some development, but if you get him and hire his dad as a WR assistant of some kind I think he can be a serviceable #3.

The virginia WR Malik Washington, and Rice's Luke McCaffery looked pretty good this season too  Washington isn't a TD guy he's a possession guy i think.

I don't know the Michigan LB Colson well enough to have an opinion but agree on than.  Max Melton's 40 time likely means he's out of our reach.  I wonder how much ability vs speed matters in the NFL for corners, for guys like Daequan Hardy, Nehemiah Pritchett Abrams-Draine, Dial,  Sainristill and McGlothern

at Safety I like Kinchens and Nubin, but don't think they will be there when we look at that position. if we look at that position./

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Considering the depth of the class and the obvious OL needs right, wouldn't waiting on WR be a better outcome?  We probably get a contributor with our early 4th whereas the OL will likely be wiped out.  We also have a big edge need.

Right now (especially with the Leno release), we have to go:

#2 (QB)

#36 (OL/Edge)

#40 (Edge/OL)

#67 (LB/Skill/CB)

#101 (CB/LB/Skill)

#103 (Skill)

#138 (RB)

Now, we'll fill some holes in FA, but I can't see us taking WR with that either 2nd considering the OL & edge needs.

That’s not how the draft works. Or shouldn’t be at least IMO. The QB pick is the only one that is nailed on because players available and our biggest need coincide - and we are picking 2nd overall so we have a really good feel for who will be available. But after that we just don’t how the board will develop. Trying to force position picks based on needs and reaching for players is not the way you build the best roster you can. 

Lots of buzz the first round is going to be very offense heavy. If that happens and there is a backer or corner sat there at #36 you had a first round grade on you don’t pass that player up because you need an OL if there just isn’t a player there with the grade. Have to trust your board and grades.

• Like 2