Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Wondering about Cooper For Quinn? He's no Micah Parsons.  But he was moved around some at times on the D line like Dallas did with Micah including playng some edge.

Good in coverage which isn't Micah's forte.   I like Wilson and even Colson's diagnostic skills better.  But if i am going on freakish athleticism, long arms, and someone who can get the QB -- 8 sacks, Cooper is the dude.   Wilson is a good athlete too but there are injury concerns as being discussed.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wondering about Cooper For Quinn? He's no Micah Parsons.  But he was moved around some at times on the D line like Dallas did with Micah including playng some edge.

Good in coverage which isn't Micah's forte.   I like Wilson and even Colson's diagnostic skills better.  But if i am going on freakish athleticism, long arms, and someone who can get the QB -- 8 sacks, Cooper is the dude.   Wilson is a good athlete too but there are injury concerns as being discussed.  

Can't they just use Jamin in this role? I'd rather they sign a veteran green dot LB type to pair with him

2 hours ago, method man said:

Can't they just use Jamin in this role? I'd rather they sign a veteran green dot LB type to pair with him

Jewell maybe?  Cashman’s interesting based on PFF scores, don’t know if he wore the green dot though…

Wonder if we re-sign Hudson.

I’m thinking this FA period will perhaps be both a bit underwhelming and a bit exciting - I’m guessing we won’t land any studs, but I think we’ll fill a lot of holes with solid players (setting ourselves up nicely for the draft). 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Must admit I’ve looked at players too that fit the Parson mould. Problem is Parsons is incredibly unique isn’t he. 

That’s what took me to players like Elliss, although his speed/burst is a notch or two down. Javon Solomon has more of that. Could he be the Parsons-lite, keen to see how he goes at the combine. Still a notch or so down on initial burst at the line.

Edited by Est.1974

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

See now, I've read a bunch of stuff about him tanking those interviews and coming off distant and odd.

Talent wise he's borderline 1rst rounder.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

See now, I've read a bunch of stuff about him tanking those interviews and coming off distant and odd.

Talent wise he's borderline 1rst rounder.

I've seen you mention this in another post but I never read any articles on it. Bummer if he did botch them because that put knocks on the two distinctly highest talented LBs. I absolutely rank a fully healthy Wilson as a 1st rounder. With his concerns it will probably move Cooper up into that large talented group that fits bottom of 1st/top of second round.

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Must admit I’ve looked at players too that fit the Parson mould. Problem is Parsons is incredibly unique isn’t he. 

That’s what took me to players like Elliss, although his speed/burst is a notch or two down. Javon Solomon has more of that. Could he be the Parsons-lite, keen to see how he goes at the combine. Still a notch or so down on initial burst at the line.

It they can't hit on a DE/Edge in the second round I'd be fully expecting them to be eyeballing my guy Solomon! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I would assume Harris being in those QB interviews has to be viewed negatively doesn’t it ?

I am good with it.  Junkies are talking about it now, they are mixed on it.

I watched an interview last night where Quinn said he was sitting with Peters for 4 hours with him going over a Qb, in minute detail.  Quinn said Peters is making the call.

For Harris to want to sit through the interviews, i don't care.  If I heard he's making the call, that I'd hate.  But its not his style to do so.  His loudest critic in Philly loves to hit him for allowing their GM to do whatever they want and he doesn't interfere and he wants him to interfere

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I would assume Harris being in those QB interviews has to be viewed negatively doesn’t it ?

Time will tell but for me I'd view it as a positive. 

On 2/17/2024 at 1:57 PM, Chump Bailey said:

I think Theo Johnson is being slept on a tad. How about your guy Barner? I like him too. Jake Briningstool TE Clemson I really like next year think he is going back. 

I can only come up with these names I like:

Dallin Hoker

McCallan Castles

Tip Reiman

Tanner McClachan

I also think Georgia Tech TE Dylan Leonard could be interesting.

My opinion on this TE class has changed. It's better than I thought heading in. They're some good players in this group.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Just bought the team, and hasn't been specifically "a football guy" prior to this.... I feel like this could just easily be him familiarizing himself with how each step of the process works.  I don't want him overruling Peters, but an owner should understand how his team operates.  If the team somehow botched this draft in some way, you want the owner to know enough about the organizational process to improve in the future.

Been watching Jeremiah Trotter Jr and have come away with mixed feelings on him.  I ended up watching safety Andrew Mukuba on a lot of the reps, and being way more impressed with him.

Trotter is feast or famine, and wasn't very consistent game to game.  I read that he was hurt at the beginning of the year, and it would explain some of why he was so terrible in the Duke game, and much better in the Notre Dame and Carolina games.  But I don't buy that it explains everything. I don't understand how a leg injury would account for such inconsistent post snap diagnosis/why he overfills so much/takes ****ty angles playing downhill.

He's got a reputation for being a heady and vocal leader that I'm not sure I buy.  I also don't love that he's the son of a notable long time player and seems to have questionable reading skills/instincts, because that really makes me question his upside in this part of his game.

He's also small for the position.  His ability to take on and destroy blocks is limited at the college level, and will be even more so in the NFL.  And it also means he's not that hard to get the ball over when he's in underneath zones even though he's an explosive leaper.

I'd also be surprised if he has long arms.  He struggled to make tackles off his frame, and I think length was a part of that.

But he is an ultra twitched up athlete with great flexibility and speed.  He coils up in his stance and absolutely explodes with that first step and flies with his closing speed.  He is a very strong blitzer, and hits RBs/QBs like a truck in the backfield when he doesn't overrun the ball.  There are a lot of splashy big plays in his cut ups, from picks and batted balls to big hit TFLs and sacks.  So even though the level of consistency you want with a LBer isn't there, he makes starry and physical plays.

My comp on him is Dre Greenlaw, and I'm wondering if Peters is going to like him.  If he really does have some green dot potential, then he's interesting to me in the fifth round range despite the inconsistency in his play and the size concern.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just gonna post random stuff I find from the combine today. Cant wait to watch this TE class. Only one true blue chipper so someone has a chance to really elevate their stock.

Brady just ran a 5.12 at 46 years old. I say we draft him at #2

• Like 1

Was watching Texas tape last night. The more I watch AD Mitchell the more I like the guy. He looks so much like CeeDee. Smooth as butter with just the perfect amount of wiggle in his routes. The guy only had one drop all season. Only one year of production. But man what a year it was,

Cooper Bebe stood out to me against Texas as well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Picks 36 and 40 are a sweet spot for quality prospects. I still want to trade back from one of them, but it's difficult with who is likely available.

If the Commanders take a QB with the #2 pick, as we all assume, then the real meat of the draft for this team begins at the top of the second round.  Either the #36 or #40 pick theoretically could be traded for a lower mid second round pick + a third or fourth round pick. Talent evaluation is key + probability analysis of the board.  2 prime second round picks, OR 1 prime second, 1 mid round second, 1 lower/mid 3rd or high 4th round pick, OR 2 mid round seconds, 1 lower/mid 3rd, 1 high 4th round pick.  There will be a lot of angst with any trade down.  Giving up the known for a possibility is a tough choice.  I'm inclined to roll the dice on trading one of the second-round picks but not both.  The what-ifs will haunt us forever if the current scouting group isn't up the task.