Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

As long as MHJ makes himself available later at a OSU workout he is fine. If for some reason he were to skip that also....there are teams extremely interested in Nabers and could be a world that is selected ahead of MHJ

55 minutes ago, MartinC said:

At WR Johnny Wilson is someone I’m looking forward to seeing run and being measured. I hope he runs routes as well.

He’s a guy who could be a physical freak mismatch nightmare for defenses.

If he runs well and has a good combine he could move up a lot of draft boards. 

I couldnt believe how huge that guy was at the Senior Bowl. I am wondering if he can bulk up and be a pro bowl TE?

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

As long as MHJ makes himself available later at a OSU workout he is fine.

Apparently he is skipping that as well. He really has nothing to prove. His tape speaks for itself. The workouts would do nothing but expose him to injury. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Conn said:

Setting aside that this is a horrible idea, it would cost a lot more than a 3rd to move from 3 to 2, and a lot more than a ‘25 1st and a 4th to move from 9 to 3. Enormous jump up to draft a WR in QB territory, you’d be stupid to make that trade even if you already had a QB in hand (we don’t). 

Trades I have seen that would fit these scenarios:

From 2 to 3: #34, #67 and a 2025 1st or 2nd

From 3 to 9: Have not seen as many, but essentially it would take #9, whatever pick the Bears get for Fields (2nd), 2025 1st and 2025 3rd.

Let's assume Fields goes to Pittsburgh for #51 and some future conditionals.

#34, #51, #67 in 2024

1st (CHI), 2nd (NE), 3rd (CHI) in 2025

That's a minimum.

Acceleration matters more than top end speed. I don't care how fast your top end speed is if it takes you forever to get there(see Dyami Brown). What makes Tyreek Hill so dangerous is that he reaches his top end speed almost instantly and can maintain it despite stopping and restarting, changing direction on a whim etc.

Quickness and burst > raw speed.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Conn said:

Setting aside that this is a horrible idea, it would cost a lot more than a 3rd to move from 3 to 2, and a lot more than a ‘25 1st and a 4th to move from 9 to 3. Enormous jump up to draft a WR in QB territory, you’d be stupid to make that trade even if you already had a QB in hand (we don’t). 

It also feels weird for Chicago to do that, unless you think MHJr is the 2nd coming of Randy Moss or something.  Like in a draft where probably one of Nabers or Odunze fall to you, or you can snag Bowers, paying a huge premium to move to 2 feels like a big misstep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I couldnt believe how huge that guy was at the Senior Bowl. I am wondering if he can bulk up and be a pro bowl TE?

He's in the 6’ 7” range (never trust listed heights!) and around 235. He likely going to run a 4.4 and change. I wouldn’t overthink it - he can stretch a D and his catch radius is ridiculous. That and an amazing redzone weapon. Don’t know where he is going to go but if I was an OC I’d spend time putting a package together for him and have a lot of fun doing it.

16 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

It also feels weird for Chicago to do that, unless you think MHJr is the 2nd coming of Randy Moss or something.  Like in a draft where probably one of Nabers or Odunze fall to you, or you can snag Bowers, paying a huge premium to move to 2 feels like a big misstep.

They are not trading up to #2, not least because we are not trading back. We are taking a QB at #2, only question is which one.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

So a lot of people are saying teams don't care about the 40 as much anymore because they now have the in-game GPS numbers which are better anyway for prospects

I don’t think the college GPS seems 1:1 translatable to the NFL. Tyreek Hill barely cracks 22, but a bunch of college guys are reported to be 23. Jaylen Wright is faster than Tyreek? Doubt it. 

However, GPS does also track acceleration and deceleration speed. They talked about this for Javon Baker. 

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Trice is the one who has grown on me over the past several months.  His stock was sitting mid to late second during the season, now I think he might end up in the 20s on my board.  He's a really good player with a nice football IQ for an edge (a lot of these guys are the dumbest players on the team).  He has good hands, has a ton of play strength, hits like a truck, and has good second step quickness that make his inside counters dangerous.

Trice is the guy that, if they land the Bryce Huff “LEO” guy in FA, makes a ton of sense for the other DE role, the one that’s been home to guys like Michael Bennett and Demarcus Lawrence. 

Love his hands, violent punch, just a brutally physical player. He ate up poor Jordan Morgan, got into his body and just drove him like a blocking sled at times. And I like Morgan as a player — but Trice looked to be on a different level when they squared off.

• Like 1

What are the strengths and weaknesses of the draft class overall?

So we’ve established quarterback as a strength. Tackle and receiver are, too. At the former, seven prospects (Notre Dame’s Joe Alt, Penn State’s Olu Fashanu, Oregon State’s Taliese Fuaga, Georgia’s Amarius Mims, Alabama’s JC Latham, Washington’s Troy Fautanu and Oklahoma’s Tyler Guyton) are all considered first-round locks and could go inside the top 20 or so.

At the latter, you have Harrison, who might be the best receiver to come through in more than a decade, followed by Washington’s Rome Odunze and LSU’s Malik Nabers, both of whom would likely be top-10 picks in any class.

“The two Texas kids [Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy], the two LSU kids [Nabers, Brian Thomas Jr.], Florida State’s [Keon Coleman], Michigan’s Roman [Wilson] had a great week down here,” Nagy says. “When you ask me who I like more than most, [Florida’s] Ricky Pearsall is one of my guys. I love Ricky Pearsall. I think there’s growing love in the league. I know some teams that want me to shut up about Ricky Pearsall.

“[South Carolina’s] Xavier Legette is going to be there on Day 2 somewhere. He’s just too big, fast and strong. He’s going to run really well at the combine. It’s gonna be one of those [receiver] classes where you don’t have to pull the trigger early.”

And Nagy added that the center class is sneaky good, too—with Oregon’s Jackson Powers-Johnson leading the way, Duke’s Graham Barton likely up next, and West Virginia’s Zach Frazier, Arkansas’s Beaux Limmer and LSU’s Charles Turner in the mix too.

On defense, corner was consistently raised as the best position, even if there’s not a Sauce Gardner or Patrick Surtain II to top the class. Alabama’s Terrion Arnold and Toledo’s Quinyon Mitchell are likely to both go in the top 20. Per Nagy, “middle of the first to the beginning of Day 3 probably, you’re going to be able to get starters. Last year, the Raiders took [Jakorian Bennett] in the fourth round … I think it’s going to be the same.”

As for the weaker spots, this isn’t the best year to be looking for a tight end. You have Georgia’s Brock Bowers (we’ll get to him), Texas’s Ja’Tavion Sanders, and then a dropoff to players like Ohio State’s Cade Stover and Penn State’s Theo Johnson. The off-ball linebackers aren’t great. (Nagy mentioned Texas A&M’s Edgerrin Cooper and North Carolina’s Cedrick Gray as two that had a chance to sniff the first round.) And running back isn’t awesome either, though Trey Benson’s speed at 230 pounds is intriguing coming out of Florida State.

There also aren’t a ton of pure pass-rushers at the top end of the draft, with Alabama’s Dallas Turner (whose production didn’t quite match his athletic profile) and Florida State’s Jared Verse heading up that group.

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2

I've read some reports of Fashanu possibly dropping because of his big time weakness as a run blocker. Man if he's still there in the teens, I'd definitely package both of our 2nds to get him. Imagine hitting on franchise QB AND LT in one draft. Peters would get a statue built instantly.

47 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Trice is the guy that, if they land the Bryce Huff “LEO” guy in FA, makes a ton of sense for the other DE role, the one that’s been home to guys like Michael Bennett and Demarcus Lawrence. 

Love his hands, violent punch, just a brutally physical player. He ate up poor Jordan Morgan, got into his body and just drove him like a blocking sled at times. And I like Morgan as a player — but Trice looked to be on a different level when they squared off.

Yep, he worked Morgan over, although I think Morgan eventually settled into that game and started playing well.  I think Bralen caught him off guard with his speed/power combo, and you're right, he just looked like he was on a different level.  I really like Morgan too.  Trice also made some plays on Christian Jones in the CFP, and a jab step inside counter that led to a first quarter sack that stood out to me.  He can win with quickness and not just power.  Christian Jones has really good length, so he's a very different match up from Morgan.

There weren't a lot of plays to be made against that Texas offense either, because their line is good and they run a pretty quick passing game and pepper in draws.  Ewers is also good at reading pressure and dumping it.  But Trice still made several big plays.

That game was also an eye opener for me on how good Kelvin Banks #78 for Texas is.  He was only a true sophomore in that game.  Trice got completely locked down by him when they matched up.  Banks looks like next year's OT1 to me.  Either him or Will Campbell.  Those two are better than all of the OTs in this year's class, and I think they will end up in that Joe Thomas/Trent Williams/Penei Sewell/Andrew Thomas strata.

Get your QB this year, suck, and then get your LT next year if you want a couple of All Pros for your offense.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I've read some reports of Fashanu possibly dropping because of his big time weakness as a run blocker. Man if he's still there in the teens, I'd definitely package both of our 2nds to get him. Imagine hitting on franchise QB AND LT in one draft. Peters would get a statue built instantly.

I'd be so disappointed. I'd rather see those picks become multiple added picks or left alone. The talent on day 2 is insane.

There are a bunch of OTs that are going to drop that need some work, but are physically gifted like Paul, Conglaves, etc.

Outside of Paul, I don't think I look at OT until day three and then I take shots at some monsters.

Edge, LBer, DB, IOL and WR is going to be full of starters everywhere.

What the heck is going on with SVP? Two months ago he was the clear cut top center and it wasn't close and now they're listing guys like Limmer (Who I love and want around 100) and Charles Turner? 

I don't get it. Steve, you were saying he'd be available with our early third and I didn't believe you, but it's looking like that's for real.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't get it. Steve, you were saying he'd be available with our early third and I didn't believe you, but it's looking like that's for real.

Somehow, one of the best and most critical players on the Georgia offense has become a sleeper.  I don't understand it, and he's going to be in my top 50.  If we can get him in the beginning of the third, that would feel like a major value pick.  I think he's a good day one starter and a potential anchor for the line.  I think he's a lot better than Zach Frazier is, who is also injured.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Somehow, one of the best and most critical players on the Georgia offense has become a sleeper.  I don't understand it, and he's going to be in my top 50.  If we can get him in the beginning of the third, that would feel like a major value pick.  I think he's a good day one starter and a potential anchor for the line.  I think he's a lot better than Zach Frazier is, who is also injured.

I know that you're down on Frazier, but those three seem like the only day one starters at C that I'd be comfortable with. 

This quiet slide for SVP is so strange. I doubt he's sliding in actual NFL circles and JPJ just blowing up the SB is casting a huge shadow.

If he gets close to our 3rd, I'd consider going up for him.

2 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

MH jr skipping EVERYTHING is kinda a "hmm" moment.

As a WR little less concerning than say, QB, but attitude never great on anyone.  Always want the hard worker.

I suppose he's still a lock for 4 I guess though.

I don't like it at all, but it isn't a deal breaker to me.  He's good enough to stand on his film.  Dawand Jones did it last year and was not.

I would make allowances for star players like him, but I obviously prefer the kids who are competitive and more mature and professional, same as anyone else.  Especially if they are also star players.  If Harrison bows out of the pre-draft process and Bowers and Nabers participate, they're going up over Harrison on my board.  Bowers already is.

I like SVP as well. He'd be a great pick in the 3rd, but I have a feeling we'll address C in FA.

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

I don't like it at all, but it isn't a deal breaker to me.  He's good enough to stand on his film.  Dawand Jones did it last year and was not.

I would make allowances for star players like him, but I obviously prefer the kids who are competitive and more mature and professional, same as anyone else.  Especially if they are also star players.  If Harrison bows out of the pre-draft process and Bowers and Nabers participate, they're going up over Harrison on my board.  Bowers already is.

Harrison is a stone cold lock to go no lower than 4 and he isn't leapfrogging any of the big 3 QBs. He has nothing to gain. His tape speaks for itself.

• Like 1

These LBers are so hard for me to rank. Edggerin Cooper should be the clear #1, but his presence at the E/W Shrine Game was terrible from what I've seen, but now I can't find anything. He's clearly the best and probably going early 2nd and sniffing the first. I think his floor is Pitt in the 2nd.

I love Gray. Everything about him and would take him at 36 without thinking twice. Great overall do everything LBer and a leader.

Wilson was a monster last year, but was that a one year thing or his new normal. He is so much fun to watch.

Trotter seems like the smartest of the group and just has that instinct you can't teach, which isn't surprising.

LiuFau is a freak and might have the highest ceiling if he can put it together and stay healthy.

I think these are the 5 that could go in the second round and nobody else. I think a couple might even go 3rd round, but this is most of the day 2 ILBs IMO.

I think Gray is my hands down favorite and I don't think I'd touch the rest until later in the second. 50-90 Range guys, although Cooper is going first and maybe before 36.

• Like 1

These are probably the WR's I'm most interested in seeing how they perform.

Devaughn Vele WR Utah

Tejuan Palmer WR UAB

Ryan Flournoy WR Mississippi St

Bub Means Pitt

Cornelius Johnson WR Michigan

Jalen McMillan WR Washington

Ja'Lynn Polk WR Washington

Luke McCaffrey WR Rice

Jermaine Burton WR Alabama

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

The hands and contested catch ability I buy.  To me those are definitely evident on film.  He's a consistent hands catcher who plucks it and he is even unnecessarily showy about it at times IMO.  And he definitely plays through bigger defenders and is a tough guy for a small player.  That plus his crafty and pacey vertical route tree are the most interesting traits.  I think he has a chance to be a good role player in a diverse passing attack.

The YAC ability I don't buy into as much.  I think a lot of that production comes from the system, and is not evidence of elite creativity as a run after catch player.  USC runs these weird moving pocket screen plays for him from the slot that hit for big gains multiple times where he didn't really create any of the action, and in a lot of his big yardage after the catch plays, he had an enormous amount of open field space or he had down field blocks.  He can be very quick and explosive when he just puts his foot in the ground and goes.  But I don't think he's very clever or efficient or elusive as a runner, and he's not a tank like Corley.  To me there is a huge difference between the YAC potential of a power RB playing WR like Corley, a runaway train like Coleman, or a jitterbug runner like McConkey, vs Washington.

Am close to the same point, starting with of course he's not a physical break tackles type of YAC runner like Corley.  What I like for as to speedy receivers and YAC is do they catch the ball in stride and accelerate fast -- and yes in the four games I watched he was good at doing that.

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I have liked Elliss since I first watched him, and it feels like he is very underrated by the mock drafters.  Surprising since he was an All American and the best player on one of the good defenses from last year.  A better defense than Alabama's, that's for sure.  Penn State was one of the best defenses in the country no doubt, but Chop was more of a cog in the machine for them, where Elliss was the star for Utah.

Yeah Ellis really popped for me watching him.  Really going below the radar aside from some dudes at PFF.   He's undersized but plays bigger than his size -- and is a thinking man's type edge, considering all of the pass rushing moves-counters he brings to the game.  I'd love to have him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

At WR Johnny Wilson is someone I’m looking forward to seeing run and being measured. I hope he runs routes as well.

He’s a guy who could be a physical freak mismatch nightmare for defenses.

If he runs well and has a good combine he could move up a lot of draft boards. 

I'd want to see from him a big combine.  Stats wise he's a bit underwhelming compared to others, including having the 2nd highest drop rate among the top 30 WRs I've been tracking, and just a "meh" contested catch grade which is surprising considering his size.

I recall watching him earlier in the process and liking the idea of moving him to being a TE.  But I don't recall my overall impressions so I'd need to rewatch him.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

He's in the 6’ 7” range (never trust listed heights!) and around 235. He likely going to run a 4.4 and change. I wouldn’t overthink it - he can stretch a D and his catch radius is ridiculous. That and an amazing redzone weapon. Don’t know where he is going to go but if I was an OC I’d spend time putting a package together for him and have a lot of fun doing it.

This board hasn't had a good Anthony Mix argument in a long time.  I'm here for it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2