Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, CommandB11 said:

Please name one reciever that has played with Maye that has been/will be drafted top 10....

Is there a point? Is Joe Burrow less of a QB because he had Chase and Justin Jefferson in college? Is Stroud because he threw to MHJ in college?

The point is Nabers and Thomas were not lighting it up and WERE NOT top 10 picks until Daniels got to LSU. They all grew and got better together. For some reason people act like thats some impossible, foreign concept. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Is there a point? Is Joe Burrow less of a QB because he had Chase and Justin Jefferson in college? Is Stroud because he threw to MHJ in college?

The point is Nabers and Thomas were not lighting it up and WERE NOT top 10 picks until Daniels got to LSU. They all grew and got better together. For some reason people act like thats some impossible, foreign concept. 

Daniels will last 3 years in the NFL before following RG3 to the studio. He is not worth a 3rd round pick let alone a first or especially top 5 pick.

• Confused 1

Watching the SF game thinking how bad Bruce Allen set this team back. We should have got at least 4 first round picks from the Williams and cousins trades instead we got a 4th and 5th and Alex smith. Just pathetic 

Edited by redskin301
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

Daniels will last 3 years in the NFL before following RG3 to the studio. He is not worth a 3rd round pick let alone a first or especially top 5 pick.

So no genuine rebuttal? Cool. 

Also RG3 had an ACL tear in college. He came into the league with an injury history. 

As far as layering or throws over the middle two here and also plays out of structure:

As far as his reads go, I think he can be more patient with them for sure. Its the positive/negative of a dual threat QB - if the pass is 8 yards but he thinks he can run for 15 or 20 do you still want him to pass or make a play?

I agree he doesn't have a cannon for an arm like Mahomes or Allen but his arm is perfectly fine for the NFL (Brady and Manning were said to have "weak" arms and did just fine lol). How you feel about that will depend on how much you value arm strength 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

So no genuine rebuttal? Cool. 

Also RG3 had an ACL tear in college. He came into the league with an injury history. 

As far as layering or throws over the middle two here and also plays out of structure:

As far as his reads go, I think he can be more patient with them for sure. Its the positive/negative of a dual threat QB - if the pass is 8 yards but he thinks he can run for 15 or 20 do you still want him to pass or make a play?

I agree he doesn't have a cannon for an arm like Mahomes or Allen but his arm is perfectly fine for the NFL (Brady and Manning were said to have "weak" arms and did just fine lol). How you feel about that will depend on how much you value arm strength 

Arm strength is what it is. Plenty have worked with "weak" arms. The body frame is simply not going to hold up. I would never waste a draft pick on someone who is electric but unplayable after a few hits. That mistake was made with RG3. Dont repeat the past because you like watching the "fun" guy.

I’ll read all these comments, watch the cutups, and will probably have an opinion but I can honestly say for the first time my life, whoever our GM decides is best, I trust that decision and will acknowledge he knows best. No more head scratching and second guessing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a good year to be shopping for a Safety & CB. There's too many prospects. I'm just scratching the surface and have not even ranked the Nickel CB dudes. Some of you here are probably fans of Brett Hollman's Podcast Bootleg Football. I would have missed CB Chigozie Anusiem Colorado State if not for his show last night. But, there were many names he mentioned that were already on my list :) 

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

Top Nickel/Slot CB’s

Mike Sainristil Michigan

Kris Abrams-Draine Missouri

Beanie Bishop West Virginia

Jaden Davis Miami

Chau Smith-Wade Washington State

Reddy Steward Troy *Underrated

Jaequan Hardy Penn State

Keni-H Lovely Western Michigan

Teldrick Ross Middle Tennessee

Eddie Heckard BYU

Jakob Robinson BYU

Travis Blackshear Furman

Justin Birchette Ohio

Jalen Carr Tarleton

Edited by Chump Bailey

Man. Watching the Lions trying to imagine Ben Johnson translating here, and they just have soooooo much more talent on the OL than we do. It’s going to take some heavy investment and I think this is the year to do it at IOL given where we are drafting. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Man. Watching the Lions trying to imagine Ben Johnson translating here, and they just have soooooo much more talent on the OL than we do. It’s going to take some heavy investment and I think this is the year to do it at IOL given where we are drafting. 

T is very deep. We can get a good one in the 2nd round. Same with a C.

I'm hoping to sign the Lions LG Jonah Williams in FA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Gonna quote myself from another thread here:

You realize part of what helps the OL hold up so well is that Johnson calls run and pass plays from the same formations and personnel so often—including passing often on 1st down, often using play action—that the D doesn’t know what’s coming at all, and has to hesitate half a second every single play? They can’t just tee off on the QB. Heavy use of motion and play action helps that massively as well. The OL is talented but a ton is being done schematically to maximize the talent they have and protect the QB. Those same tactics can help a less talented OL immensely until we obtain that sort of talent. 

The opposite of the EB experience. 

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

You realize part of what helps the OL hold up so well is that Johnson calls run and pass plays from the same formations and personnel so often—including passing often on 1st down, often using play action—that the D doesn’t know what’s coming at all, and has to hesitate half a second every single play? They can’t just tee off on the QB. Heavy use of motion and play action helps that massively as well. The OL is talented but a ton is being done schematically to maximize the talent they have and protect the QB. Those same tactics can help a less talented OL immensely until we obtain that sort of talent. 

Yep exactly.

And besides, who is to say he won't eventually get that talent here? We have a top notch personnel guy now. And even in this year's draft we have a lot of picks to work with. As well as over $90 mil in cap space.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep exactly.

And besides, who is to say he won't eventually get that talent here? We have a top notch personnel guy now. And even in this year's draft we have a lot of picks to work with. As well as over $90 mil in cap space.

Agreed, covered that with “until we obtain that sort of talent” bc yeah, we have to hope our shiny new GM can eventually build an elite OL. It isn’t just about 2024 especially with a rookie QB, it’s short-sighted to act like we can’t make the QB + OL’s lives easier via scheme and playcalling while still building it all up. 

Watching this weekend of playoffs just reinforces what a mistake it would be to take Maye over Daniels.  Left and right, we are seeing QBs winning these games with their legs.  Definitely go with the dual threat (Daniels) over pocket passer (Maye).   And each successive year, this will only prove to be even more true, in terms of how the league is evolving.  just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 3

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Everyone realizes that. That’s why we all want Ben Johnson.  

The Lions also howeve, have two all pro’s players and another pro bowl player. Sewell might have been the best player in college football at age 20, and we don’t have a Ragnow/Jonah Jackson on the roster. 

Both things can be true. Johnson makes the Lions better. The Lions’ OL talent is in a different stratosphere from ours. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

Watching this weekend of playoffs just reinforces what a mistake it would be to take Maye over Daniels.  Left and right, we are seeing QBs winning these games with their legs.  Definitely go with the dual threat (Daniels) over pocket passer (Maye).   And each successive year, this will only prove to be even more true, in terms of how the league is evolving.  just my opinion.

I don’t know, does it reinforce that?

Goff and Purdy didn’t win with their legs. Josh Allen is a different breed from Jaydan Daniels.

Mahomes is Mahomes.

Lamar? Is that the main reason you are saying this? 

It can work for sure, and you have to have some mobility but I don’t see much from this weekends slate that shows Jayden Daniels style of athleticism is the must draft style…

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

Maye isn't exactly a statue, he moves around pretty well, He can also withstand an NFL pounding due to his build more than Daniels kind of like an Allen or Howell can survive.

• Like 3

I’m not sure why folks try and comp Daniels to Jackson. I don’t really see a lot of similarity. I guess he’s the most recent “running QB” but Daniels is a better passer and not nearly the space player as Jackson. Seems more like RG3, Geno Smith or Tyrod Taylor. 

Edited by seantaylor=god
Added RG3
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

Edited by HTTRDynasty

I've been thinking Maye over Daniels most over concerns about how his body would hold up in the NFL, but I have to say I've been really impressed by what I read in the article @ThatNFLChick shared about his offseason work.  

All of the QB prospects, including the top three, has a ton they need to improve at the next level.  While work ethic and intangibles are no guarantees of success, it is a necessary ingredient.  If scouting shows that Daniels edges out Maye in that regard, that would tip the scale for Daniels in my book.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I've been thinking Maye over Daniels most over concerns about how his body would hold up in the NFL, but I have to say I've been really impressed by what I read in the article @ThatNFLChick shared about his offseason work.  

All of the QB prospects, including the top three, has a ton they need to improve at the next level.  While work ethic and intangibles are no guarantees of success, it is a necessary ingredient.  If scouting shows that Daniels edges out Maye in that regard, that would tip the scale for Daniels in my book.

By all counts Maye works his butt off and is extremely coachable.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 1/20/2024 at 6:32 PM, skinsarethebest said:

I’m incredibly impressed with how much Jayden Daniels has grown over the course of a single year.  The fact that he’s trending upwards, versus perhaps even regressing in his final college year the way Williams and Maye have (arguably) done is significant.  To me it indicates an intangible : dedication and ability to learn, which can’t really be taught.

Interestingly, Daniels himself regressed in his second and third seasons. But he fortunately got the opportunity to transfer to a powerhouse school and play two more seasons with an all-star cast, and he took advantage with an elite final season to put himself in this discussion. 

One can only imagine how Williams/Maye would look if you gave them two more years in college — and an A+ roster around them. I wonder if they’d show the intangible qualities of dedication and ability to learn as well. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1