Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

56 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

If that's the first thing that comes to mind, I'll pass too in that case :)

5. Greg Olson

Background: Olson has a wealth of NFL experience dating back to 2001, where he served as quarterbacks coach for the San Francisco 49ers. He even served as quarterbacks coach for the Bears in 2003. Olson served as the offensive coordinator for the Las Vegas Raiders from 2018-21 under Jon Gruden. He’s an experienced playcaller that has worked with different quarterbacks throughout his career, and adaptability is key for general manager Ryan Poles and head coach Matt Eberflus when making the hire.

I would think he has a great shot at the NO gig after letting Carmichael go. They have talked about a role for Gruden next year to work with Carr (doesn’t seem like it is the OC role). Carr absolutely cooked in Oakland w Olson as his playcaller

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Center is funny.  It's the hardest OL position to play mentally, but the easiest technically.  You can get guys who absolutely tear it up mostly off being smart and aggressive and tough, while only being fair athletes/specimens.  Either they are good runners with natural coordination for hitting moving targets, or they are country strong fire plugs who are good wrestlers (or both), but it's something that isn't typically highly valued from a draft perspective.

The way this class is lining up, we can get a specimen at either DL or OT with our seconds, and we can get an absolute beast of a college player at RB or LB with our third.  I wouldn't force a pick at OC when those other options are on the table.

Personally, I'd just wait and see on center this year.  Sign a cheap vet to play in the mix with Stromberg.  If Stromberg doesn't pan out, then next year I'd go after Andre James in free agency or draft my guy Weston Franklin in a late round.

I want to get one of these big ass OL prospects in the second.  Someone with high percentile tackle size/length. Someone who can kick Wylie inside.

I actually think we will target Owenwu in FA.  Jeremy Fowler from ESPN said the Pats are not expected to resign him.  Getting him to play RT (he can also play guard) would be huge and allow us to draft BPA after we take QB.  Wylie is cap neutral from what I gather (we don't save any money if we cut him), so he might stay on the team.  He has guard experience and would probably be OK at LG.  With two vets at G, we can afford to let Stromberg/drafted young guy play C if need be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Patriots do not have a great record of lineman going elsewhere. Solder, Brown, Mankins.

Very much like their coaching staff. Much of that was related to Brady though and players like Owenwu played well without Brady

2 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Patriots do not have a great record of lineman going elsewhere. Solder, Brown, Mankins.

Mankins was basically done after he got traded.  Brown has only been good with NE.  After NE, he signed a big deal in Vegas and sucked.  Then he went back and was solid until now where he can't play anymore.

Joe Thuney left NE and has been a solid OL in KC as a counterpoint.

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I was preaching the special value of the center position in the Linderbaum draft, and that is was a big need for us then (and all of you guys crapped on me for those takes), so I'm a keen advocate for getting a mainstay center.  That said, there is no way I'm trading up into the first round to draft a center.  For starters, I see virtually no chance that JPJ goes in the first round of a class where there are like seven first round OTs.  We'll be able to draft him with our seconds if we want him.  Second, Van Pran is just as good as JPJ and we can probably get him with our third.

We need to just let the draft come to us and go BPA.  If there was a Linderbaum available, then I might be moved to take him in the first round.  Otherwise, we can find a mainstay center via cheap assets.  Van Pran in the third, offer a fifth to Seattle for Oluwatini, see what Stromberg can do for a year, etc.  All of those are good options.

I'm not one of the Yous guys. I liked Linderbaum a lot too and have been preaching the importance of the center for years. I wanted to move back a bit and draft JMS last year.

I think we could slide back a small amount and grab JPJ who I prefer or stay at 40 at grab Van Pran. 

If our 2nd rounders were Beebe and Van Pran I'd be happy. If we can move back with one of our seconds and come away with Beebe, JPJ and Paul I'd be happy.

I think the 3 OTs we have a shot at are Paul, Kiran A and Suamataua.

Center SVP, JPJ and Frazier are the clear best players, after that Limmer in the 4rth I like as a Strom level back up.

• Like 1

As to pass catching RBs, watching Rachaad White. and Gibbs yesterday both dudes I among others liked here -- also Keaton Mitchell my fav late round-UDFA type RB last year.    Mades me crave that pass catching speedy back

The three I keep hyping here:  Bucky Irving, Ray Davis, Blake Watson.  Like them all a lot but I want to see how they run.    I suspect Irving and Watson are faster than Davis.  But Davis IMO is the better all around back.

I was watching this morning Wright. I am adding him to that pile.  Very intrigued by him.  He's more in that Ray Davis style of a running back, all around guy, decent size, patient runner who follows his blocks and who can run gap and zone.   Davis though used more as a pass catcher. 

Talk about a dude who can get skinny in a hole. I attached a clip below, he's number 0, he broke that for a nice size run.

I am tracking right now 26 RBs as to compiling stats and Jaylen has the best YPC number in that bunch.  A sick 7.4.  The next guy as to YPC after him is also someone I dig a lot, Marshawn Lloyd who was at 7.1

Physical runner, good contact balance.   His hands were really good in one game but "meh" in the other I watched, so I'd ferret that ability out.  Milton doesn't exactly throw the ball in the flat with good touch so he's not the easy dude to catch the ball from. 

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/article/jaylen-wright-tennessee-vols-running-back-doing-exactly-what-he-set-out-to-do-this-season-keeps-chopping-wood-219836163/

He’s gotten his money’s worth on his touchdowns, though. Wright scored from 42 yards out against South Carolina in September, from 52 yards out against Kentucky and from 82 yards out against UConn. He leads the SEC with 30 runs of 10+ yards and is near the top of the league in runs of 20+, 30+, 40+ and 50+ yards – basically the rushing version of what wide receiver Jalin Hyatt did last season.

“He’s had huge, long runs, but they’ve come because of the growth of him as a football player,” Vols head coach Josh Heupel said after the 59-3 win against UConn. “It’s not just running toss on the outside and running around everybody. He understands how to press things, understands how the fit, the read, bounce it when he needs to, staying vertical. That one hit right up the pipe. It’s fun to watch a guy become a dynamic football player and understand how to play the game.”

The 5-foot-11, 210-pound Wright always has possessed impressive physical traits. He’s built himself into looking like a big-time SEC running back and has elite speed. Wright recorded one of the fastest 60-meter times in the country in high school and has been clocked at 23+ miles per hours during workouts while with the Vols.

Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 12.33.47 PM.png

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not one of the Yous guys. I liked Linderbaum a lot too and have been preaching the importance of the center for years. I wanted to move back a bit and draft JMS last year.

I think we could slide back a small amount and grab JPJ who I prefer or stay at 40 at grab Van Pran. 

If our 2nd rounders were Beebe and Van Pran I'd be happy. If we can move back with one of our seconds and come away with Beebe, JPJ and Paul I'd be happy.

I think the 3 OTs we have a shot at are Paul, Kiran A and Suamataua.

Center SVP, JPJ and Frazier are the clear best players, after that Limmer in the 4rth I like as a Strom level back up.

The rap then by some (me included) wasn't anything aganist Linderbaum.  He was clearly a good player.   But at 12 it felt rich.  And Rouillier was still young and coming off an injury but it was just one injury and otherwise to that point he was a durable player.   He was also under a fresh contract for years.  Unfortunately he got a 2nd major injury that season and the rest is sad history.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As to pass catching RBs, watching Rachaad White. and Gibbs yesterday both dudes I among others liked here -- also Keaton Mitchell my fav late round-UDFA type RB last year.    Mades me crave that pass catching speedy back

The three I keep hyping here:  Bucky Irving, Ray Davis, Blake Watson.  Like them all a lot but I want to see how they run.    I suspect Irving and Watson are faster than Davis.  But Davis IMO is the better all around back.

I was watching this morning Wright. I am adding him to that pile.  Very intrigued by him.  He's more in that Ray Davis style of a running back, all around guy, decent size, patient runner who follows his blocks and who can run gap and zone.   Davis though used more as a pass catcher. 

Talk about a dude who can get skinny in a hole. I attached a clip below, he's number 0, he broke that for a nice size run.

I am tracking right now 26 RBs as to compiling stats and Jaylen has the best YPC number in that bunch.  A sick 7.4.  The next guy as to YPC after him is also someone I dig a lot, Marshawn Lloyd who was at 7.1

Physical runner, good contact balance.   His hands were really good in one game but "meh" in the other I watched, so I'd ferret that ability out.  Milton doesn't exactly throw the ball in the flat with good touch so he's not the easy dude to catch the ball from. 

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/article/jaylen-wright-tennessee-vols-running-back-doing-exactly-what-he-set-out-to-do-this-season-keeps-chopping-wood-219836163/

He’s gotten his money’s worth on his touchdowns, though. Wright scored from 42 yards out against South Carolina in September, from 52 yards out against Kentucky and from 82 yards out against UConn. He leads the SEC with 30 runs of 10+ yards and is near the top of the league in runs of 20+, 30+, 40+ and 50+ yards – basically the rushing version of what wide receiver Jalin Hyatt did last season.

“He’s had huge, long runs, but they’ve come because of the growth of him as a football player,” Vols head coach Josh Heupel said after the 59-3 win against UConn. “It’s not just running toss on the outside and running around everybody. He understands how to press things, understands how the fit, the read, bounce it when he needs to, staying vertical. That one hit right up the pipe. It’s fun to watch a guy become a dynamic football player and understand how to play the game.”

The 5-foot-11, 210-pound Wright always has possessed impressive physical traits. He’s built himself into looking like a big-time SEC running back and has elite speed. Wright recorded one of the fastest 60-meter times in the country in high school and has been clocked at 23+ miles per hours during workouts while with the Vols.

Screen Shot 2024-01-22 at 12.33.47 PM.png

The rap then by some (me included) wasn't anything aganist Linderbaum.  He was clearly a good player.   But at 12 it felt rich.  And Rouillier was still young and coming off an injury but it was just one injury and otherwise to that point he was a durable player.   He was also under a fresh contract for years.  Unfortunately he got a 2nd major injury that season and the rest is sad history.

Pretty sure I wanted to drop back and take Moehrig or Linderbaum that draft. It was the Davis draft.

BRob is gonna feast in Johnsons system.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure I wanted to drop back and take Moehrig or Linderbaum that draft. It was the Davis draft.

I think Moehrig was 21 and Linderbaum was in 22.   In 22 we traded down from 11 to 16 then drafted Dotson.  I am fine with the Dotson pick but in the moment the two guys I would have cnsidered were Devin Lloyd and Tyler Lindenbaum.  At 11, I would have taken either Kyle Hamilton or Chris Olave.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You were definitely team Moehrig!

I agree Johnson would thrive in that system.

I am with @Skinsinparadisethat we could really use speedy 3rd down back...I really wanted one last year, aAchane was the guy I was hoping would slide a little further.

5 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think Moehrig was 21 and Linderbaum was in 22.   In 22 we traded down from 11 to 16 then drafted Dotson.  I am fine with the Dotson pick but in the moment the two guys I would have cnsidered were Devin Lloyd and Tyler Lindenbaum.  At 11, I would have taken either Kyle Hamilton or Chris Olave.

Lloyd was the guy I wanted at that spot. To me he was gold in the 20's...the more he fell the more I wanted him.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't recall everyone's take.  I do recall that you liked Moehrig as did I.  

I don't recall @Going Commando having a lot of company on Linderbaum, if you say you were with him cool and while I do of course believe you -- I am a bit surprised considering I recall you were a big Rouillier guy as was I. 

I recall my thoughts then was Rouillier was if I recall 27, and at least by PFF metrics one of the best centers in the league.  And more on point he just signed a big contract to stay.  He was durable until that season when he had an injury.

So as far as assett allocation it felt odd for some of us to double up on center.    And neither player seemed a natural to convert to guard.

Just by chance, Rouillier then had another different major injury and his career was basically over.  There was no way to predict that.  It's football and it happens.  But generally plenty of centers have long careers.  There was nothing about Rouillier at 27 to think his career was about to end but it did.  Bad luck. 

35 minutes ago, philibusters said:

At 11, I would have taken either Kyle Hamilton or Chris Olave.

Loved those two and Garrett Wilson and Drake London.  And I thought one of them would be there.

I like Dotson so I didn't hate the pick at the time.

I recall pushing Hamilton and getting plenty of pushback on it because some were bothered by his combine.  He's an All Pro player, one of the best safeties in the league.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't recall everyone's take.  I do recall that you liked Moehrig as did I.  

I don't recall @Going Commando having a lot of company on Linderbaum, if you say you were with him cool but I am a bit surprised considering I recall you were a big Rouillier guy as was I. 

I recall my thoughts then was Rouillier was if I recall 27, and at least by PFF metrics one of the best centers in the league.  And more on point he just sign a big contract to stay.  He was durable until that season when he had an injury.

So as far as assett allocation it felt odd for some of us to double up on center.  

Just by chance, Rouillier then had another different major injury and his career was basically over.  There was no way to predict that.  It's football and it happens.  But generally plenty of centers have long careers.  There was nothing about Rouillier at 27 to think his career was about to end but it did.  Bad luck. 

I was big on Roullier and thought he'd come back, but I remember liking Linderbaum. I wanted to trade back again and tae either Floyd, Pitre or Cine I think.

Hindsight it would have been Linderbaum, Tyler Smith or Pitre.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall my thoughts then was Rouillier was if I recall 27, and at least by PFF metrics one of the best centers in the league.  And more on point he just signed a big contract to stay.  He was durable until that season when he had an injury.

So as far as assett allocation it felt odd for some of us to double up on center.    And neither player seemed a natural to convert to guard.

In terms of Lindenbaum, I probably would have taken Devin Lloyd at 16, but I liked Lindenbaum a lot partly because of GoingCommando take on him and I saw him and Lloyd as the two best players available at 16.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, philibusters said:

You're right. That was 21. 22 if we stayed at 11, I wanted Hamilton. 21 I wanted Dickenson, Darrisaw, but mostly Moehrig.

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I was big on Roullier and thought he'd come back, but I remember liking Linderbaum. I wanted to trade back again and tae either Floyd, Pitre or Cine I think.

Hindsight it would have been Linderbaum, Tyler Smith or Pitre.

I liked Linderbaum too, but that wasn't the argument then.  It's do we take another center?  As we know its not like CB or LB where you need two of them where you expend big resources on.   

Just by chance a position that wasn't a need became a need.  And if we all predicted that would happen he would have been higher on our lists as someone to draft.

It's not like there has been resistance from me or anyone here to take a center.  I talked about it last year and went deep into the center class.  And I've started doing the same this year. 

It's like today with all of our needs saying we should use our first round pick for a DT lets say if we were picking 12.  If I made that case, many would push back and say why DT, didn't we just pay Allen and Payne big money?   Don't we have so many other needs and there are so many other good players we can take with that pick?  But then Allen has a career ending injury the next year and I go see I told you DT is how we needed to go.   The football gods converged to make DT a big time need out of nowhere.  That's what happened at center. 

15 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Watching the playoffs this year really reinforces just how wide open the NFC is. IMO, the top 5 QBs in the league all play in the AFC:

1. Mahomes
  2. Lamar
  3. Allen
  4. Burrow
  5. Herbert / Stroud (potentially)

The NFC is a clear tier below the top 4 in the AFC and maybe below the top 6. I think Stafford, Dak and Kirk (before the injury) all have an argument for top NFC QB. 

The timing for us to draft a blue chip QB prospect couldn’t be better. 

Pretty reminiscent of the 1980s and 2000's, only diff being the 80's gave the NFC some vet guys like White and Theismann, and an elite young guy in Montana, but the AFC got Elway, Marino, Jim Kelly and Ken O'Brien out of that famed 1983 class (and busts Tony Eason and Todd Blackledge). Heck they even got Boomer Esiason in 1984 if memory serves. The NFC did really poorly drafting QB's in the 1980s and of course got zero talent out of that 1983 class. AFC has nabbed all the guys you mentioned AND Trevor Lawrence if he ever puts it together. Feels very similar to the 1980s and 2000's (The '00's from memory got Brees, Rivers, Ben Roth, Brady, Manning (a '98), and Cutler who was at times effective). 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked Linderbaum too, but that wasn't the argument then.  It's do we take another center?  As we know its not like CB or LB where you need two of them.   

Just by chance a position that wasn't a need became a need.  And if we all predicted that would happen it would have been higher on our lists as someone to draft.

It's not like there has been resistance from me or anyone here to take a center.  I talked about it last year and went deep into the center class.  And I've started doing the same this year. 

It's like today with all of our needs saying we should use our first round pick for a DT lets say if we were picking 12.  If I made that case, many would push back and say why DT, did we just pay Allen and Payne big money?   Don't we have so many other needs and there are so many other good players we can take with that pick?  But then Allen has a career ending injury the next year and I go see I told you DT is how we needed to go.   The football gods converged to make DT a big time need out of nowhere.  That's what happened at center. 

If that DT can be a great DE, it would make sense. Eagles are losing a HoF Center and aren't going to miss a beat, because they drafted Jurgens.

I feel like that stat is slightly misleading just because there are a lot of good zone corners who are past their 6th season.  The top corners, those that excel in both man and zone due tend to be younger, but their skills don't necessarily erode equally across the board.  Older corners often are pretty good in zone, but lose the ability to shut down the leagues best receivers in man to man coverage.  Kendall Fuller is an excellent example.   He just finished his 8th season.  Is a good, not great corner and is better in zone or zone match then straight out man to man, where is still technically sound, but not a great matchup against top WR's.

I am  not sure how much of it was the other teams seeking ways to put their best WR against Forbes and how much we chose to put Forbes on the other teams top receiver when we played man but my instinct is Forbes is probably the stickiest corner in man coverage on our team, though given his lack of physciality and sometimes questionable technique, not necessarily the best man to man corner on the team.

Though it fairness there are a lot of RB's past their 6th season that would be perfectly fine as part of a running back by committee so I do see the analogy with running back.

I do think zone corners like Fuller probably age better than guys who made their mark playing man to man coverage like William Jackson III.

Edited by philibusters