Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

58 minutes ago, method man said:

Daniel Kelly continues to put out **** takes. He's a former scout for a reason. I love how he uses only 2022 footage for why Fautanu's 2023 draft stock should be bad. He says he's a 6th rounder and can't play.

Fautanu is one of the guys I want us to go after in Round 2. So I obviously disagree with Daniel Kelly.

I'm scrolling through the titles of his articles and it looks like Cam Ward might be his #1 QB? Or maybe Jayden Daniels? He doesn't like Caleb or Drake at all.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't necessarily want to just settle for whoever is still there at the beginning of the second round for OL.  I want us to get someone special, which for me means going back up into the first and getting Taliese Fuaga.

Every time I watch him, I come away feeling like he's the best OL in the class.  He's the Penei Sewell type OT of this year's class, only he's going to get pushed down lower than he should go because of the presence of Fashanu, Alt, and Latham.

I think Fuaga and Cosmi can form a dominant right side of the line.  I'd look for IOL later in the class and try and get the beast RT prospect to make that side of our offense a true strength.

If I am trading up for a RT it would be for Latham. Fuaga is good. Latham has pro bowler written all over him. 

13 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Daniel Kelly continues to put out **** takes

He keeps his twitter private so no one can call him out on his bull**** as well. I did a little digging around there too. And the guy is a moron. Check out this pathetic write up on MHJ. I honestly have no idea what he is looking at. And I understand why he is an EX scout:

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/07/marvin-harrison-jr-possession-receiver-or-home-run-hitter/

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Could be some good IOL's there as well. Barton, Fautanu or Beebe could be there as well. That is why pick number 2 is so important. Its not just the first round that matters. You are going to get a first round talent at pick 34 as well.

I'm pretty sure we would be at 36 (the 4th pick of round 2) if things end as they are now.  Tied teams rotate draft position round to round. We would have the 2nd pick in rounds 1, 4, and 7; the 4th pick in rounds 2 and 5; and the 3rd pick in rounds 3 and 6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I'm pretty sure we would be at 36 (the 4th pick of round 2) if things end as they are now.  Tied teams rotate draft position round to round. We would have the 2nd pick in rounds 1, 4, and 7; the 4th pick in rounds 2 and 5; and the 3rd pick in rounds 3 and 6.

I think New England will beat the Jets. 

25 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

If I am trading up for a RT it would be for Latham. Fuaga is good. Latham has pro bowler written all over him. 

I'm about ready to put Oklahoma RT Tyler Guyton on this short list too and we likely would not have to trade up for him. Any of these guys would be much welcome additions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm about ready to put Oklahoma RT Tyler Guyton on this short list too and we likely would not have to trade up for him. Any of these guys would be much welcome additions.

Guyton would be one of my second round targets. I like him A LOT. Really athletic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Guyton would be one of my second round targets. I like him A LOT. Really athletic. 

Yep. Dude is just raw right now due to lack of playing time but has all the athletic tools to eventually play LT if he can clean up his technique

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

47 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You guys are kinda free king me out. I was just watching and reading some stuff on him. He's becoming a riser for me. Then I come here to see you guys talking about him

Stop using spyware to steal my takes, guys.

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Love this. He's someone I have routinely been grabbing in the 3rd round and he's the #73 on the big board for PFN. Not that that means a whole lot, but because I kept getting him I did a bit of digging and liked what I saw!

I really want to find a way to add Ja'Tavion Sanders or Legette/Egbuka/McConkey there in the 2nd too. But that relegates OG or OT to R3, which is fine, but I really want a stud OL from the draft and we don't have enough early picks. Really wish we could add another 2nd somehow so we could hit OL 2x there. 

I would imagine we'll add someone on the OL in free agency that should be a legitimate starter, whether at LG or RT. So that will put less onus on the draft, but man would it be nice to come away with 2 starters early on the OL while also finding a way to add 1-2 weapons to grow with our rookie QB.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Love this. He's someone I have routinely been grabbing in the 3rd round and he's the #73 on the big board for PFN. Not that that means a whole lot, but because I kept getting him I did a bit of digging and liked what I saw!

I really want to find a way to add Ja'Tavion Sanders or Legette/Egbuka/McConkey there in the 2nd too. But that relegates OG or OT to R3, which is fine, but I really want a stud OL from the draft and we don't have enough early picks. Really wish we could add another 2nd somehow so we could hit OL 2x there. 

I would imagine we'll add someone on the OL in free agency that should be a legitimate starter, whether at LG or RT. So that will put less onus on the draft, but man would it be nice to come away with 2 starters early on the OL while also finding a way to add 1-2 weapons to grow with our rookie QB.

Pauline has Guyton going 9 in his mock.  Doubt he falls to the 2nd.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Pauline has Guyton going 9 in his mock.  Doubt he falls to the 2nd.

Well damn, that's way higher than I was expecting, but such is the nature of doing mock drafts at this time of year. I was mocking Jack Campbell to us in the 2nd or 3rd around this time last year haha. 

PFN OT Rankings:

1. Joe Alt, Notre Dame

2. Olu Fashanu, Penn State

3. JC Latham, Alabama

4. Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State

5. Armarius Mims, Georgia

6. Jordan Morgan, Arizona

7. Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma

8. Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

9. Kiran Amegadjie, Yale

10. Patrick Paul, Houston

Conversely, NFL Draft Buzz:

1. Joe Alt, Notre Dame

3. JC Latham, Alabama

4. Armarius Mims, Georgia

5. Graham Barton, Duke

6. Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State

7. Troy Fautanu, Washington

8. Patrick Paul, Houston

9. Jordan Morgan, Arizona

10. Javon Foster, Mizzou

11. Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

12. Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma

*I know many expect Barton and Fautanu to play Guard in the NFL but they're included here and I went 12 deep to account for that. 

2023 OTs drafted by Round:

1st: 4 

2nd: 1 

3rd: 2 

4th: 5

5th: 4

2022 by Round:

1st: 5 

2nd: 0

3rd: 4

4th: 5

5th: 3

So every draft is diff. and by all acounts this is a super deep OT class. But it isn't out of the realm of possibilities that we could be looking at the 5th or 6th rated OT when we pick at #36 and #41. When it gets to us in the early 3rd, we could be looking at OT5 or OT6 which seems odd to me. Only 1 OT has gone in the 2nd round in the last 2 drafts. 

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I don't necessarily want to just settle for whoever is still there at the beginning of the second round for OL.  I want us to get someone special, which for me means going back up into the first and getting Taliese Fuaga.

Every time I watch him, I come away feeling like he's the best OL in the class.  He's the Penei Sewell type OT of this year's class, only he's going to get pushed down lower than he should go because of the presence of Fashanu, Alt, and Latham.

I think Fuaga and Cosmi can form a dominant right side of the line.  I'd look for IOL later in the class and try and get the beast RT prospect to make that side of our offense a true strength.

I may be one of the few but I'd be on board with this, and I usually am against trading up for players. Fuaga is incredible and should be a steal later in the 1st.

I do think this year will see quite a few more OTs going in R2 than in the past few years.

2021 might be a better comparison. In 2021 you had:

1st: 5

2nd: 6

3rd: 4

4th: 7

Now by eyeballing this I can identify several listed as Tackles who clearly were drafted as Tackle/Guards and ended up as guards ... Vera Tucker, Cosmi, Eichenberg, Teven Jenkins, Dillon Radunz, Jackson Carmen ... pretty much the entire 2nd round of OTs ended up flipping to Guard. But still, it was a much heavier OT "on paper" draft than the last 2 years. 

From a "pure OT" standpoint, it looks like a good bet that 4-5 will go in Round 1. And then R2 usually sees a run on OTs that end up at Guard, though few true OTs end up going in R2 ... probably because the true projected starting OTs tend to go in R1.

Not saying trends will dictate what happens this year, but just an interesting observation when we start thinking about who we could conceivably get in R2 at OT.

• Thanks 1

With such a deep OL/WR class it’s not inconceivable that we could go QB-OT-WR and have the OT/WR be 1st round caliber in any other draft. 

From a pure roster building standpoint, to get QB-OT-WR in rookie contracts would be smart. 

Use FA to grab positions of lesser value like TE, LG, LB …

Doesn’t  mean you don’t also draft those positions. But might make more sense to target them in the 3rd / 4th / 5th. 

DE and CB will probably be our glaring holes going into 2024. But you’ve gotta have holes somewhere. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

DE and CB will probably be our glaring holes going into 2024. But you’ve gotta have holes somewhere. 

And from a QB development standpoint, absolutely pour your resources into the offense first. Defense can wait til the team is ready to compete. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

9. Kiran Amegadjie, Yale

Take some exception here - too high for me. He is one I think is being somewhat overvalued because of his physical gifts, which are excellent. I see footwork and technique issues with him. But, these may be simple fixes. He will probably be one of the most scrutinized OL at the Senior Bowl. If he can hang there, then I'll change my opinion of him. I don't dislike him but think he is a prime candidate to be over-drafted.  

Edited by Chump Bailey

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Well damn, that's way higher than I was expecting, but such is the nature of doing mock drafts at this time of year. I was mocking Jack Campbell to us in the 2nd or 3rd around this time last year haha. 

PFN OT Rankings:

1. Joe Alt, Notre Dame

3. JC Latham, Alabama

4. Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State

5. Armarius Mims, Georgia

6. Jordan Morgan, Arizona

7. Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma

8. Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

9. Kiran Amegadjie, Yale

10. Patrick Paul, Houston

1. Joe Alt, Notre Dame

3. JC Latham, Alabama

5. Graham Barton, Duke

8. Patrick Paul, Houston

10. Javon Foster, Mizzou

*I know many expect Barton and Fautanu to play Guard in the NFL but they're included here and I went 12 deep to account for that. 

2023 OTs drafted by Round:

Funny how Barton is not on the first list....I think he's the best lineman in the draft.  Barton is a nasty son of a gun and he's a finisher who plays with balance.  I think Fuaga might be the most talented lineman....kids can run, move laterally and has extremely powerful hands.  This is an incredibly deep draft for lineman.  I think we will trade back into round 1 to get Barton or Fautanu if they fall.

9 hours ago, Going Commando said:

There are two super blue chip QBs that any team would feel good about drafting #1 overall in this class.  If we pick #2, then we're sitting pretty.  It's only after #2 that our decision at QB gets difficult.

I really hope we don’t go for Drake Maye if we pick 2nd (and somehow can’t get Caleb Williams).  Would rather have Jayden Daniels or even Marvin Harrison Jr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dexter said:

Funny how Barton is not on the first list....I think he's the best lineman in the draft.  Barton is a nasty son of a gun and he's a finisher who plays with balance.  I think Fuaga might be the most talented lineman....kids can run, move laterally and has extremely powerful hands.  This is an incredibly deep draft for lineman.  I think we will trade back into round 1 to get Barton or Fautanu if they fall.

I think the first list weeds out Tackles that are likely to be Guards. The second list has the combo guys on there like Barton and Fautanu

4 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

OLB/EDGE Javon Solomon Troy is very good. 

I'd love to tap Jalen Green from JMU late as well. He tore his ACL but had 15.5 sacks through 9 games and was 1st team All American this year. Idk where he'll end up going but could be a nice late-round flier for DE depth.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'd love to tap Jalen Green from JMU late as well. He tore his ACL but had 15.5 sacks through 9 games and was 1st team All American this year. Idk where he'll end up going but could be a nice late-round flier for DE depth.

Absolutely agree. I like Green as well. I believe this draft class is much better than I thought coming in. I try to cast a wide net and am coming away pretty impressed with most positions. DT & TE leave something to be desired and though I've not looked at DB's yet I believe that group will be strong too. RB is a lot deeper for me than I thought. WR is insane. OL is very good. QB is good. Decent ILB/OLB/Edge group especially OLB wise for me. 

QBs first and there will be plenty of OT/WR worth grabbing with our next 3 picks. A few IOL will drop to our 100/104 picks. Wouldn't mind grabbing Stover, Sinnott or one of the PSU TEs next. We also have no depth on our OL, so if we need to roll with Leno for another year while grooming a Kiran adjie or Peters for a year, it's not a bad place to be.

I think the roster is going to turn around pretty quickly and we need guys for the future as well as next season. This is a great draft to start rebuilding the offense for the future.

I have zero interest in trade ups.

14 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

1. Joe Alt, Notre Dame

3. JC Latham, Alabama

5. Graham Barton, Duke

8. Patrick Paul, Houston

10. Javon Foster, Mizzou

That site just lists OL in total, their ranking don't differentiate between T, G or C.