Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Started watching ILBs while I wait for food and football. This is FAR from a good feel at this point. But just trying to get an idea. 

Jeremiah Trotter, Jr, Clemson - Plays all three downs. He hits like a mack truck. Reads well enough. Quick in pursuit. Jams receivers well. Understands passing concepts. He does get beat up by big OL a little bit at times. He's not quite as good as I had originally thought based on watching some Clemson games. He didn't pop as much.

Barrett Carter, Clemson - I think he's a better athlete than Trotter and has better bend. He's much better in coverage and closes well as blitzer. Avoids OL really well. He isn't a great tackler and he doesn't get downhill on run as quick as Trotter.

Tommy Eichenberg, Ohio State - I don't know. He gets lost in piles sometimes and sticks his nose inside when flow should take him outside. he's aggressive in pursuit and a good tackler. Takes on blocks with confidence even if he gets beat sometimes. Strong blitzer and finds a way to snake through. 

Danny Stutsman, Oklahoma - He flies around and plays with energy. He plays third downs and wraps up real well. Seems to over pursue a bit at times. I like how he flows and plays fearlessly. Pretty solid in coverage. 

Cedric Gray, North Carolina - More of a coverage backer/blitzer type than a run stuffer. He reads well and can make some plays on the run but UNC uses him a lot in man coverage assignments. Good sideline to sideline speed. He never gives up on any plays. Takes on blocks strong on the inside. 

Junior Colson, Michigan - Used more as a hybrid LB than a true box backer, which would benefit the way we currently play defense. He reads relatively well all things considered but he doesn't really do anything to stand out on film. 

Jaylan Ford, Texas - Mirrors well. Makes reads. Takes on blocks. Okay in coverage. Gets down hill and takes on blocks. Doesn't shed as quick as I'd like. He's another coverage backer type. 

Tyreem Powell, Rutgers - Excellent blitzer and patient. Misdirection is an issue for him and he loses his balance at times trying to adjust. Athletic guy who hustles every play.

Justin Flowe, Arizona - Good instincts, not great change of direction. 

JJ Weaver, Kentucky - I watched him. I don't know, man.

I have to say... it's quick and cursory and not final but this linebacker class leaves a LOT to be desired. I'm just not that impressed.

Here's a ranking but I have no confidence in this because they all look really similar. Trotter stands out the most in film of all of them...

1. Jeremiah Trotter, Jr., Clemson

2. Danny Stutsman, Oklahoma

3. Barrett Carter, Clemson

4. Tyreem Powell, Rutgers

5. Tommy Eichenberg, Ohio State

6. Cedric Gray, North Carolina

7. Jaylan Ford, Texas

8. Junior Colson, Michigan

9. Justin Flowe, Arizona

10. JJ Weaver, Kentucky

Just not impressed at a first glance. Kind of disappointing. They are all reminiscent of Noah Sewell to me. 

But again, I've only watched partial games so far. Maybe some sleepers emerge or maybe I feel better about them as time goes on. Trotter is the best of the bunch but I think he's a day 2/3 guy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Your point seems to be you draft to need period.    I do agree about O line #1.  I wouldn't put CB #2 but it doesn't matter because its not how I think anyway about the draft.  Go BPA.  I am willing to go for need at the O line to an extent because of Ron's neglect.  So I got some need in my approach but my whole approach isn't oriented towards need -- I want superstars.  This team has lacked superstars forever, game changer players. 

We have good to very good players but we don't do All Pro.   We don't have players that the whole league talks about -- we don't do Parsons, Justin Jefferson, Donald or name that superstar.  And I think that's part of the reason why this team is stuck from mediocrity to worse.  Drafting to need is more likely to keep you on that vicious cycle.  Cooley has talked about this some over the years when discussing this roster.

I don't mean this with sarcasm but if you want a FO that works the draft with their need based shopping list each round -- you will miss Ron because that's how he and this FO rolls.  Listening to Keim, Rivera was a pathologically need based drafter, round after round.    

I gather why you embrace that approach you disagreed with some of his actual thoughts about what the needs are.  But otherwise his thinking seems to mirror what you are doing which is this position is what we should target in this round and that position in the next round, etc.

I doubt the next GM will approach the draft like that because from what I observed most top GMs are more BPA based.

Having said that i wouldn't worry, I doubt we have a chance to draft Marvin Harrison.  So I wouldn't sweat it.

Also, I seriously doubt the next FO will neglect O line.  We got 5 picks in the top 100 and 90 million in cap space.  While i am perfectly good with taking a tackle especially if its Fashanu with a top pick -- Harrison and to a lesser extent Bowers are on the table for me at that pick.  

I agree but a blend of BPA and need.  Hard to pick with that mentality but sometimes need will overtake BPA and the other way around.  Does this make sense? 

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think a lot of our WRs not getting open is scheme and coaching, but my ****ing about how awful our incompetent OC is should be in another thread.

I get that Harrison is great and would make us better, but he won't be in our range.

Could be.  I am sort of agnostic on Bieniemy but i feel your pain as to not digging him.  i don't want him as the HC.  

Agree, only way its Harrison is if we pick top 3 which is possible but unlikely

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I agree but a blend of BPA and need.  Hard to pick with that mentality but sometimes need will overtake BPA and the other way around.  Does this make sense? 

Sure, I factor need but BPA is paramount.   I am all over need as to the O line in this draft -- but part of that is the draft looks stacked at that spot.

But just about every round has a player or two where if by chance he's there even if they aren't top needs, i am taking them.  My version of that so far in round 1 is Marvin Harrison Jr.  No way I am taking another player on the off chance he's there at our spot.

For this team, we have needs all over the place IMO.  I can argue for every spot maybe sans QB.   So in particular in this draft, i am going BPA but O line is my exception within reason.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Started watching ILBs while I wait for food and football. This is FAR from a good feel at this point. But just trying to get an idea. 

Jeremiah Trotter, Jr, Clemson - Plays all three downs. He hits like a mack truck. Reads well enough. Quick in pursuit. Jams receivers well. Understands passing concepts. He does get beat up by big OL a little bit at times. He's not quite as good as I had originally thought based on watching some Clemson games. He didn't pop as much.

Barrett Carter, Clemson - I think he's a better athlete than Trotter and has better bend. He's much better in coverage and closes well as blitzer. Avoids OL really well. He isn't a great tackler and he doesn't get downhill on run as quick as Trotter.

Tommy Eichenberg, Ohio State - I don't know. He gets lost in piles sometimes and sticks his nose inside when flow should take him outside. he's aggressive in pursuit and a good tackler. Takes on blocks with confidence even if he gets beat sometimes. Strong blitzer and finds a way to snake through. 

Danny Stutsman, Oklahoma - He flies around and plays with energy. He plays third downs and wraps up real well. Seems to over pursue a bit at times. I like how he flows and plays fearlessly. Pretty solid in coverage. 

Cedric Gray, North Carolina - More of a coverage backer/blitzer type than a run stuffer. He reads well and can make some plays on the run but UNC uses him a lot in man coverage assignments. Good sideline to sideline speed. He never gives up on any plays. Takes on blocks strong on the inside. 

Junior Colson, Michigan - Used more as a hybrid LB than a true box backer, which would benefit the way we currently play defense. He reads relatively well all things considered but he doesn't really do anything to stand out on film. 

Jaylan Ford, Texas - Mirrors well. Makes reads. Takes on blocks. Okay in coverage. Gets down hill and takes on blocks. Doesn't shed as quick as I'd like. He's another coverage backer type. 

Tyreem Powell, Rutgers - Excellent blitzer and patient. Misdirection is an issue for him and he loses his balance at times trying to adjust. Athletic guy who hustles every play.

I have to say... it's quick and cursory and not final but this linebacker class leaves a LOT to be desired. I'm just not that impressed.

Here's a ranking but I have no confidence in this because they all look really similar. Trotter stands out the most in film of all of them...

7. Jaylan Ford, Texas

9. Justin Flowe, Arizona

10. JJ Weaver, Kentucky

Just not impressed at a first glance. Kind of disappointing. They are all reminiscent of Noah Sewell to me. 

But again, I've only watched partial games so far. Maybe some sleepers emerge or maybe I feel better about them as time goes on. Trotter is the best of the bunch but I think he's a day 2/3 guy.

Definitely not a day one backer in the group. I'm leaning Stutsman as my favorite right now.

I hate that I agree with your Sewell comment. :ols: 

SB and combine is going to be huge for this group.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Definitely not a day one backer in the group. I'm leaning Stutsman as my favorite right now.

I hate that I agree with your Sewell comment. :ols: 

SB and combine is going to be huge for this group.

Agree about Stutsman. I almost put him at 1 but I've seen Trotter pop in games I watch live at times so I kept him there. But Stutsman has decent film.

But ya, this group is definitely lacking. 

In comparison vs. last year I think Campbell, Pace, Henley and Sanders were all better prospects than the top LB in this class.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Remember Shen will be telling Harris this :

2 lower picks usually better than 1 high

TE undervalued, game changing position

RB draft them high

Yes.  As for RB the way he explained it though is he prefers the draft over FA at that spot.  Young RBs are great, RBs on their 2nd contract not so much.  Also his point, is transformative RBs -- great RBs.  He's not in that mode of take one lets say in the 6th round if lets say you love J. Gibbs and he's available in the 2nd. 

I wonder about Jonathon Brooks, torn ACL, i gather not ready until midseason, whether he could be had in the 5th-6th round.    Considering what we went though with Bryce Love, I'd want the medicals to look OK as for recovery.  With Love it came out later that his torn knee was severe.

Corum who I mentioned earlier today is fun. But doesn't have that speed i crave.  He's more shifty.   Estime is more of a power guy.   Donavon Edwards with his long legs seems to have good long speed but he doesn't accelerate lightening quick.  I need to watch more.  But on intial watching there seems to be no Gibbs, Achane level speed back in this draft.  But I got plenty more to watch so my mind can change.

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Dammit, now the whole list is invalidated!

Back to the drawing board, KDawg. We expect more for all the money we pay you for these!

I had him from Georgia in my initial review and I just typed Oklahoma in my rankings and next thing I know I am called to task! This is why I’m paid the big bucks.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Van Pran has Steelers first round pick all over him.  They're going to be his floor IMO, and they'll probably win 10 games and pick around 20.  I think he's fair value in the teens, and I think he's a much better player than some of the hyped up tackles like Joe Alt.

Still getting a feel for Powers Johnson's stock, but my guy says second round for him.

That's insane, because for some reason whenever I think of Van Pran I think Steelers. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I had him from Georgia in my initial review and I just typed Oklahoma in my rankings and next thing I know I am called to task! This is why I’m paid the big bucks.

When in doubt you're supposed to have Georgia on your mind...

bc9e2fb5-655c-4af0-820b-cc61bdbdccfe_tex

No?

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yes.  As for RB the way he explained it though is he prefers the draft over FA at that spot.  Young RBs are great, RBs on their 2nd contract not so much.  Also his point, is transformative RBs -- great RBs.  He's not in that mode of take one lets say in the 6th round if lets say you love J. Gibbs and he's available in the 2nd. 

I wonder about Jonathon Brooks, torn ACL, i gather not ready until midseason, whether he could be had in the 5th-6th round.    Considering what we went though with Bryce Love, I'd want the medicals to look OK as for recovery.  With Love it came out later that his torn knee was severe.

Corum who I mentioned earlier today is fun. But doesn't have that speed i crave.  He's more shifty.   Estime is more of a power guy.   Donavon Edwards with his long legs seems to have good long speed but he doesn't accelerate lightening quick.  I need to watch more.  But on intial watching there seems to be no Gibbs, Achane level speed back in this draft.  But I got plenty more to watch so my mind can change.

Raheim Sanders is a prospect that caught my eye. I must admit that is based on some casual research over the last couple of hours. Would appreciate your take on him.

• Like 1

So let's say we end up in or near the top 5 and a blue chip prospect like Harrison or Bowers fall in our lap. It's really hard to pass on elite talent like those two because this team lacks that everywhere.  We have 5 picks in the top 100, so if we went that route then how does the next tier of o-linemen look for the 2nd and 3rd rounds?? I feel like we can still have a major upgrade by waiting for the 2nd and 3rd round to grab our linemen 

I don’t see how you pass on either one of those two if they are there when we pick. It looks like we are going to have two high picks in the second round so there will be good linemen there for us. We just need to do a better job of evaluating.

We all need to keep our fingers crossed that Stromberg can play. That would help a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 11/23/2023 at 12:38 PM, KDawg said:

7. Jaylan Ford, Texas

9. Justin Flowe, Arizona

10. JJ Weaver, Kentucky

I would like to get your view on Dumas-Johnson out of GA. Get a FA backer (there’s a handful that will be available) and grab a guy in the third or fourth. There are much worse plans than that.

On 11/21/2023 at 2:21 PM, KDawg said:

So we basically have one chance to sign an upgrade on the OL... and he is going to be in high demand so he'd have to actually choose to come to Commander land. It's not an impossibility... but it's not likely. 

I don't think that is true. Some free agents (as of now) that would upgrade our O-line:

Tackles

- Tyron Smith (PFF's 2nd highest rated tackle this year)

- Trent Brown (PFF's 8th highest rated tackle this year)

- Mike Onwenu (has played on an all pro level multiple years, can play several positions at a high level)

Guards:

- Kevin Dotson (PFF's highest rated guard this year)

- Kevin Zeitler

- Halapoulivaati Vaitai

Centers:

- Connor Williams (PFF's 5th highest graded center)

- Jason Kelce (PFF's highest graded center)

- Graham Glasgow

Not everyone will actually become a free agent or sign here (Smith, Kelce) and not everyone will be a scheme fit (I don't know enough about that) but it's not like there aren't players out there that can significantly improve our O-line right away.

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

I don't think that is true. Some free agents (as of now) that would upgrade our O-line:

Tackles

- Tyron Smith (PFF's 2nd highest rated tackle this year)

- Trent Brown (PFF's 8th highest rated tackle this year)

- Mike Onwenu (has played on an all pro level multiple years, can play several positions at a high level)

Guards:

- Kevin Dotson (PFF's highest rated guard this year)

- Kevin Zeitler

- Halapoulivaati Vaitai

Centers:

- Connor Williams (PFF's 5th highest graded center)

- Jason Kelce (PFF's highest graded center)

- Graham Glasgow

Not everyone will actually become a free agent or sign here (Smith, Kelce) and not everyone will be a scheme fit (I don't know enough about that) but it's not like there aren't players out there that can significantly improve our O-line right away.

Therenis a world they are available. But the thing with these lists is they morph. We have to project a little (and sometimes we’re wrong). Dallas will keep Smith and I think Brown is reupped. Onwenu is the only question mark for me, right now. 

Dotson is interesting on the guard list. I have my doubts he makes it. 

Kelce would retire before coming here. Williams is intriguing.

If it plays out this way not only do we have to make them an offer but they have to choose us. But heck, if we managed to get them to come here all bets are off. I just don’t think this list (which after these names is pretty thin) is going to make it to FA.

I doubt the best graded ones will come here, why would they leave a winner for a loser in rebuilding mode ? Only for a huge pile of $, and they will likely ending up not playing up to their contract like so many before. I hope the new regime will find real valuable free agents who won't disapoint (London Fletcher), and stay away from the ones who are $ driven with inflated stats on contract years.

Edited by FrFan

31 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Therenis a world they are available. But the thing with these lists is they morph. We have to project a little (and sometimes we’re wrong). Dallas will keep Smith and I think Brown is reupped. Onwenu is the only question mark for me, right now. 

Dotson is interesting on the guard list. I have my doubts he makes it. 

Kelce would retire before coming here. Williams is intriguing.

If it plays out this way not only do we have to make them an offer but they have to choose us. But heck, if we managed to get them to come here all bets are off. I just don’t think this list (which after these names is pretty thin) is going to make it to FA.

Interesting Kevin Dotson (and Kelvin Beachum) were two guys I proposed trading for back in July or August.  The Steelers had signed Isaac Semulo I believe which sent Dotson to the bench despite him being being a mid level starter for the Steelers in 2022.  I thought we might be able to get him for a 5th round pick and Shaddiq Charles.  The Rams ended up trading a fourth round pick from them and he has a 84 PFF grade.  That was a big win for the Rams.    With Kelvin Beachum the Cardinals drafted Paris Johnson Jr.   They also have DJ Humphries.  Kelvin Beachum has been solid enough the past couple years as a starter, a mid level starter but on the higher end of mid level starter but he was 34  so I figured he would be the odd man out of that trio of starters so he could be had for a 4th or 5th round pick.  Gettign Beachum allows you to move Wylie to Guard or just move Beachum to Guard.  He is only 6'3 (like Leno), but is a little bigger than Leno at 315 pounds and he has an odd build where most of his weight is in his lower half which probably means he would have been solid in pass pro against power (though he is not that mobile in the run game).

I feel like either of those moves would have helped the O-Line a good amount.  The O-Line problems are Rivera just doing too little and less about the moves not working out.  Wylie has played about the level he is being paid at (a low level starter).  Same is arguably true for Gates who is being paid even less.  Rivera just didn't spend any resources there despite that unit needing help.  Two small money signings and a comp 3rd round pick and 4th round pick and the 4th pick is early but looks like it may just have been a miss.  In hindsight O'Cyrus Torrence would have been perfect in the second round.  He is not what Bieniemy was looking for because he is bigger (340 pounds) and slower, but he is exactly what Howell needs in a guard because he is big, hard to bull rush and creates cleaner pockets in pass pro.

10 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I would like to get your view on Dumas-Johnson out of GA. Get a FA backer (there’s a handful that will be available) and grab a guy in the third or fourth. There are much worse plans than that.

I love his energy and aggressiveness. He is fast and athletic and he can cover backs out of the backfield with ease. Very smooth athlete with great change of direction. He's also a very good rusher. He also looks like he communicates really well on the field. He's a bit slower on his run reads than I'd like. He is definitely a coverage first kind of backer, which isn't necessarily a bad things for this organization, but it prevents him from being well rounded. He's also a little sticky when engaged in a block. 

But I like him. I need to spend more time with him. But right now he probably slots in after Trotter and Stutsman for me. 

One of things that I like about linebackers is energy and aggressiveness. He checks those boxes for me. 

He's not Ivan Pace levels in those categories, but he has that kind of umph.

I like him. 

• Thanks 1

Just watched some Tyler Guyton, RT Oklahoma.  6'7 327.

Another good RT prospect.   Really strong in pass protect.  I notice most draft geeks favor him over Fauga.  i don't.  I'd go Fauga.

Everything being equal, I like the RT to be a strong run blocker who is a tone setter -- right side often being the strong side of the field.  That's not him.  But he's feisty enough as a pass blocker that maybe he has that nasty run blocker in him.  I did notice an occasional mean streak from him, pushing a defender after a play was dead.

Positive

Anchors and mirrors well

For a tall dude he sinks his hips well and gets low

In general a good pass protector

Strong hands -- good punch

Comes out of his stance fast

Negative

He missed some time, and Sexton who played RT during that time was really good so they kept him as a starter

Longes at times at defenders -- in the pros that's not going to work

Just OK in the run game, misses some blocks, not much of a people mover

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Receivers last night and today...

Marvin Harrison, Jr, Ohio State - I posted about him the other day. There is nothing on the field that Marvin Harrison, Jr. cannot do. He is the best of the receiver class, probably at outside and slot. He's balanced, strong, can block, can run routes, can get yac, can change directions, runs cleans routes and he's fearless. Oh, and he's 6-4 205. He is the guy in 2024. My only gripe about him is that he has a mouth piece that he let's dangle from his facemask instead of using it. 

Malik Nabers, LSU - He's electric and a lot of fun. He has a great stutter and go move that works. Against Alabama he torched the safety on the hash with that move. Alabama corrected and played a deep middle safety over the top instead of bringing extra pressure and LSU ran the same play and they were there to break it up. The NFL is going to have more situations like that than the first one. But Nabers is the kind of guy that if you fall asleep, for even a second, he's behind you and dancing in the end zone. I remember a highlight against Auburn where he took a jet swing pass to the barn after outrunning the entire defense to the sideline and then up the sideline. He has great concentration. His specialty is definitely run after the catch and deep ball moves. He's not a great blocker and I am a little concerned with his ability to release as anything other than a slot. I think he's a pure slot kind of guy (that's not a bad thing or a poor reflection, just may limit where he aligns a little. 

Xavier Legette, South Carolina - This dude is a big target. He's shorter than MHJ by an inch, but he is a big guy. He weighs around 225 and he plays like it. He has great box out skills and is a possession receiver through and through. He's also really fast. He doesn't have the hands that some of the other guys in this class have. But he's a big, strong, physical receiver who is a high end safety valve for Spencer Rattler (who, by the way, as a mid to late round option I am absolutely intrigued by). He's definitely a contested catch guy but he can get off the line at slot or wide and make plays. He runs a good variety of routes but his specialty is anything that comes back to the ball: comebacks, curls, hitches, etc.

Rome Odunze, Washington - Very, very smooth athlete. Shifty and agile. Has a wide route tree. Not a guy who breaks many tackles but he can create space with his agility in the open field. He fights for the ball on back shoulder fades really well. Against Oregon he really struggled to get separation on the Duck corners. Jahlil Florence made life hard for Odunze, then he went out of the game and his backup Trikweze Bridges continued to make Odunze's day difficult. But Odunze, despite the lack of separation, came through and made some big plays. That is a microcosm of his season. He absolutely abuses lesser corners and has a battle against better ones, where he plays his role well but doesn't separate. 

Emeka Egbuka, Ohio State - I thought he was smaller than he is. But he is 6-1 and about 200 pounds. I love how he finds open zones and sits down and gives a window for McCord. He's one of those guys that can contort his body in ways you didn't know bodies could move. He's not a big tackle breaker, but he separates on his routes and gets YAC due to his ability to separate. He's also a guy who isn't afraid of catching in traffic. He's also not a bad blocker. Something I've come to realize when watching Ohio State receivers: They are for real. You can't sleep on any of them who show they have NFL chops. Ohio State is a receiver factory. Do not sleep on them. 

Johnny Wilson, Florida State - He's shifty for his size. He's 6-7 and probably runs a 4.4 forty yard dash. He is pretty sure handed and honestly looks like he is Jordan Travis' safety blanket/outlet when he gets in trouble he looks for #14. I don't think Wilson is a gamebreaker. But I do think he's a good possession receiver type of player. He doesn't use his body as well as Legette and he sure as hell isn't as fast. But he's a big receiver who is safe and reliable. I'm not sure he's shifty or fast enough to make a big impact in the NFL, though I do think he can play there. 

Keon Coleman, Florida State - He is not as sure handed as his teammate, Johnny Wilson, and Wilson has his fair share of drops as well (though he's not as egregious). The thing that Coleman offers is his playmaking ability and size. He is very productive. Florida State tries to get him the ball in space as much as they can. This is a guy who I anticipated really liking when I got around to watching his film but I came away impressed but no where near as much as I thought. He has a gigantic catch radius and comes down with contested catches for sure. But his hands and separation are lacking a little bit. 

Xavier Worthy, Texas - He is small. The guys I've talked about so far are all 200+ pounds. Worthy? He's 170. And a stringbean 170 at 6-1. Given our current situation with Forbes, his size is scary. However, having said that, receiver and corner are not the same and there is room for smaller guys at receiver in the League. And Worthy stands out as a downfield threat and playmaker. I actually like his ability to bounce off of defenders, too. He will run full speed into a defensive back and live to tell the tale. He often bounces off but that creates a shock and allows him to gain extra yards. He is physical for being so small (though this is pound for pound physical and not a trait that competes with the larger bodies). He is explosive and quick. 

Troy Franklin, Oregon - Not exactly big, but he also isn't small. 6-3 190ish. He is a player. He can separate, catch in traffic and run a variety of routes. Oregon leans on him heavily and, I'm going to go ahead and say it, he makes Bo Nix look better than he is. Franklin just creates so much separation. I think he's a special player. Over 1,200 yards and 68 receptions. Nix has thrown for 3,539 yards. If Nix somehow wins the Heisman he should hand it to Franklin. 

Jermaine Burton, Alabama - Fast, really good on the back shoulder, vertical threat. Really good against press. Has great field presence on the sideline. He can block. Not as explosive as Alabama receivers tend to be and runs a limited route tree. But for a fast receiver he is more of a possession receiver than Alabama receivers have been as of late (Jeudy, Jones, Cooper, Ridley, Williams, etc.)

Ladd McConkey, Georgia - I don't know if there is a better route runner in this class, and that includes Harrison (if I had to nitpick Marv it would be sometimes his breaks are more rounded than necessary... that's a big nitpick because he finds space and separates regardless). McConkey, though, is crisp as hell. His change of direction is surreal. He works the scramble drill like a true pro. He blocks like a pro as well. This guy is polished as hell. His hands are good enough, though at times he doesn't secure the catch as quickly as you'd like. His size (180) and 40 (about 4.6) are his concerns. He looks faster than he is. Not a big YAC threat. But he is a lot more reliable than some others on this list. I think he projects to be a slot guy who is fearless and can make things happen in the NFL. 

Wide Receiver Rankings:

1. Marvin Harrison, Jr, Ohio State

2. Xavier Legette, South Carolina

3. Troy Franklin, Oregon

4. Malik Nabers, LSU

5. Emeka Egbuka, Ohio State

6. Rome Odunze, Washington

7. Jermaine Burton, Alabama

8. Ladd McConkey, Georgia

9. Keon Coleman, Florida State

10. Johnny Wilson, Florida State

11. Xavier Worthy, Texas

While I would love to get a guy like MHJ, it's probably not realistic. But there are a lot of really solid options in the receiver class. I think Legette may be my personal favorite (outside of MHJ)\ for this team, assuming we come back with McLaurin and Dotson on the roster. He is a nasty possession receiver who can burn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2