Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I see no indication that the Bears are ready to move on from Fields.  I like the idea of getting an impact player, regardless of position, with their first pick.  But taking a tight end at 7 or whatever scares me.  Is Bowers rated higher than Kyle Pitts? I mean Pitts had a good rookies season but he is in his 3rd season now, has 4 career TDs and I still don't see him as a difference maker. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

22 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So, question then- Are you planning to re=sign a 31 year old McLaurin for the big money that will require in two years?

Those are the type of questions that you need a good GM to ask.  Fans have their emotions into the game and into the roster.  A GM should generally avoid making emotional decisions.  IMO, the team should not be using top draft capital on a WR given the poor overall structure of the roster.      

44 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

You would expect them to draft Caleb Williams and keep Fields? I'm confused. If you're poking fun at the Chicago reference for Washington, I meant see Chicago for what they do with pick #5, which is trade back to a team that wants to come up for a QB and get draft capital haha

you-joke.gif

(I know you were joking too, I just wanted to use that gif)

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Haha 1

The Bears will bring in a completely new regime that's gonna want to start over. Fields's value is shot now that his rookie contract only has a year left(two if you include the 5th year option but that isn't cheap at all for a QB). They'll deal him for a mid round pick and he'll bounce around the league as a backup before retiring in a few years.

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Give me to bookend OTs with our first 3 picks and the third one being a CB.  So, 2 OTs and 1 CB.  

Draft wishlist:

OL: 3

TE: 1

CB: 2

LB: 1

DE: 2

WR: 1

RB: 1

I know we don't have 11 picks, but this is the route I would want to go. LB is debatable. Depends on scheme and who we bring in FA. We may go LB in the 2025 draft once we let Davis walk. 

But for 2024, I think we'll need to focus on CB, OL and a playmaker or two on offense (WR/RB/TE). Curious to see what they do about DE. I assume we draft at least 1, and then probably bring in 1-2 FAs

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I see no indication that the Bears are ready to move on from Fields.  I like the idea of getting an impact player, regardless of position, with their first pick.  But taking a tight end at 7 or whatever scares me.  Is Bowers rated higher than Kyle Pitts? I mean Pitts had a good rookies season but he is in his 3rd season now, has 4 career TDs and I still don't see him as a difference maker. 

A Bears reporter who was talking about it in some show I was listening to a couple of weeks ago.  He said the rumbilings he hears from his sources is they will absolutely move on from Fields if they have a top pick.    I know some national reporter recently said they'd only do it if they are blown away by a QB prospect in the draft.

But who knows will see.  Right now he's 23rd in the league in QBR, if he kills it in the home stretch maybe they change their mind. 

My guess is they don't walk away from Caleb or Drake unlss Fields burns it up in the home stretch.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

But for 2024, I think we'll need to focus on CB, OL and a playmaker or two on offense (WR/RB/TE). Curious to see what they do about DE. I assume we draft at least 1, and then probably bring in 1-2 FAs

I have bolded with what I agree with but we desperately need LB help too. 

Is Bowers rated higher than Kyle Pitts? 

Yes. 

I mean Pitts had a good rookies season but he is in his 3rd season now, has 4 career TDs and I still don't see him as a difference maker. 

Had an historic insanely good rookie season.  Was hurt last year.  This year, just OK, but he has no one who can get him the ball.    Pitts though is basically a WR.  Bowers is a do it all TE.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

_end_rule.png

What are you hearing about quarterback Justin Fields' future with the Bears?

Graziano: The remainder of the season is effectively an audition for Fields to keep the job. If the season ended now and the Bears had the top pick in the 2024 draft -- they're projected to own it, via their March trade with the Panthers -- my best educated guess is they'd take USC quarterback Caleb Williams and try to find somewhere to trade Fields. But if Fields lights it up over the next two months and shows improvement in the areas in which the Bears want to see it, it's not out of the question he could be their starter again.

There's just so much that's unknown about this whole situation, including the job statuses of coach Matt Eberflus and general manager Ryan Poles. Depending on the way the rest of the season goes, the people who spend the next couple of months evaluating Fields might not be the people who get to decide his future with the franchise.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/38935945/nfl-week-12-fantasy-tips-upset-prediction-buzz-afc-nfc-playoffs-justin-fields

Sidebar

In a podcast yesterday Keim-Bram talked some about how poorly the secondary communicates with each other and hence we see so much quick game from the opponents because they figured this defense won't adjust. 

Keim said in rewatching these games you can see on film the secondary at times looking baffled commuicating with each other. 

Keim also said something interesting to me.  Basically, even though McCain wasn't a hot player.  He hears he was the best communicator-director in the backfield and he's missed.

As good as Curl is apparently he's not the best director of traffic-communicator I gather and clearlu doesn't do turnovers.  

Our secondary is a train wreck.  I thought before the season we were loaded at safety.  But apparently, it might be a need. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.wsbradio.com/sports/college/how-brock-bowers-brings-out-best-georgia-football-i-call-him-captain-america/R3FG7EHXTFAHBHAS53PUDYDGOI/

ATHENS — When someone is able to beat Brock Bowers at something, they won’t hesitate to offer it up. Even if they’re quick to undermine their own success by praising Bowers with their next breath.

Fellow tight end Oscar Delp was able to put on more weight this offseason than Bowers, edging Bowers out by 5 pounds. Chaz Chambliss, Bowers’ roommate, is confident he’s a superior fisherman. But Chambliss quickly added Bowers is better at shooting.

As for head coach Kirby Smart, he clings to the fact that his GPA is .05 higher than Bowers’ 3.45. The two majored in finance but that is about where the comparisons between their times at Georgia come to an end.

“It’s the only thing I’ve been able to beat Brock at,” Smart said at SEC media days. “But Brock is unique. He’s easily, easily the quietest, hardest worker I’ve ever been around.”

Bowers is the best at a lot of things for Georgia. He’s been the best offensive player on Georgia’s last two championship teams. He was the best tight end in the country, winning the Mackey Award. His work ethic and competitive excellence are universally lauded throughout the Georgia program.

The truest measure of Bowers’ greatness though doesn’t come in the form of athletic feats. Nor is it in his ability to work harder than anyone on the team.

What makes Bowers perhaps the best player in college football is how he makes everyone around him better. Be it the tight ends he now leads or the defensive players he faces in practice, they all note how Bowers has helped them improve.

His best elevates others to be better than they envisioned themselves being.

I just try to not mess him up. He challenges me to find new ways to reach him,” tight ends coach Todd Hartley said. “He challenges me to continue to find new ways to make him a better tight end. To continue to improve upon maybe little things in his game that can help possibly at the next level. So that is a challenge because he is good at a lot of things.

“He pushes me at different times to become a better coach.”

Bowers hates losing. He’s the first one in line to get breakfast per wide receiver Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint. He’s first in wind sprints, dominating so much that this summer, freshmen Lawson Luckie and Pearce Spurlin had to cheat to try and beat him.

They could not.

From time to time, Smart will use his microphone to get on Bowers at practice. As Bowers enters his third year in the program, Smart knows exactly how to pester his star tight end to get even more out of him.

“He’ll call me out sometimes and tell me I’m not winning and that will really piss me off and get to me,” Bowers said.

That’s about as vocal as Bowers will get. He’s not a loud person, with Smart taking joy in watching Bowers answer question after question at SEC media days. Answering questions from the media is one of the few things Bowers isn’t the best at.

Hartley did reveal that Bowers turns into Ken Jennings when it comes time to answer questions in a team meeting, dispelling the idea that Bowers is averse to speaking. Bowers is very comfortable with who he is and knows where he wants to get better. This offseason, he’s focused on becoming a better leader, as he’s suddenly the oldest player in the tight end room.

He’s close with Delp and enjoys getting to show Luckie and Spurlin the right way of doing things.

“Having a guy like that in our room to kind of teach me and the younger guys and everyone else in that room, it’s huge,” Delp said. “It’s almost like having another coach in there. I mean, he’s an awesome dude. He’s one of my best friends on the team and we’re hanging out all the time. But just the way he approaches practice and meetings and walk-throughs and everything, it really puts everything in a different perspective and I think it pushes everyone in the room a little bit more.”

Bowers’ work ethic isn’t just contagious to players on Georgia’s team. Coaches feed off of it as well. Those who are as uniquely gifted and driven as Bowers usually are a blast to coach. He’s led Georgia in receiving in each of the last two seasons and racked up 24 touchdowns in that time. He’s finished each of the previous two seasons in the exact same manner. His final catch as a freshman and sophomore was a touchdown in the national championship game.

New Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo got the chance to see Bowers up close last year when the former would sit in with the tight end room. Bobo coached a number of great Georgia players in his first stint in the program. Matthew Stafford, AJ Green, Todd Gurley all received some level of instruction from Bobo.

He sees Bowers in the same light. And while Bobo feels some pressure to get the absolute most out of the junior, he knows his job is made easier by Bowers being a Bulldog.

“He’s extremely smart, and he’s very humble. He reminds me a lot of a guy like Nick Chubb when I was here before that just went and worked every single day,” Bobo said. “He tried to get better no matter what he had done the day before, the game before, the year before. He was constantly trying to improve his craft.

“He’s a joy to coach, and I’m glad he’s a Georgia Bulldog.”

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 12.40.27 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yes. 

Had an historic insanely good rookie season.  Was hurt last year.  This year, just OK, but he has no one who can get him the ball.    Pitts though is basically a WR.  Bowers is a do it all TE.  

What is interesting about Bowers is he has taken carries as a back and can also be used as a gadget guy with end arounds and such given his speed. I see him as a versatile chess piece you can have as a Y TE, move TE, on the outside as a receiver, a FB amd H-back. Because of his flexibility, you can effectively scheme up some really cool stuff for him with the right OC

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, method man said:

What is interesting about Bowers is he has taken carries as a back and can also be used as a gadget guy with end arounds and such given his speed. I see him as a versatile chess piece you can have as a Y TE, move TE, on the outside as a receiver, a FB amd H-back. Because of his flexibility, you can effectively scheme up some really cool stuff for him with the right OC

He's been my top man crush for months in this draft as to the players I am familiar with.  It may change.  But right now its him or Marvin Harrison JR.  As much as i love TEs, I still value a WR more in part because TEs tend to get hurt more.

Right now it seems like we might be in range for Bowers, Fashanu, Alt.     Maybe but more of a long shot at Harrison.

If the T class is that deep then I think we could potentially wait to get one and instead go for a difference maker at another position with our likely top 7 pick. Perhaps we package some combo of 2nd and 3rd rounders to move back into the 1st to land one of the last 1st round caliber Ts.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If the T class is that deep then I think we could potentially wait to get one and instead go for a difference maker at another position with our likely top 7 pick. Perhaps we package some combo of 2nd and 3rd rounders to move back into the 1st to land one of the last 1st round caliber Ts.

Yep. This is what some of us are thinking. Every year things are different but we got Sweat at #25 a few years ago for a 2nd and a future 2nd. I would think it is almost a guarantee that both our seconds (as high seconds) will get us to at least a similar spot, if not higher.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's been my top man crush for months in this draft as to the players I am familiar with.  It may change.  But right now its him or Marvin Harrison JR.  As much as i love TEs, I still value a WR more in part because TEs tend to get hurt more.

Right now it seems like we might be in range for Bowers, Fashanu, Alt.     Maybe but more of a long shot at Harrison.

If Harrison and Bowers are gone, I am a bit tempted to also consider Odunze. I think he too looks like a 1A receiver at the next level

• Like 1

just watched this, his speed doesn't look to my eyes crazy fast -- not like Achane but it looks good.  He looks to me like a complete back.  Very shifty, low center of gravity, skinny in the hole, good vision, -- good speed and some power-motor to his play.  Looks best as a one cut and go zone runner.   Good hands. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Robinson and Rodroguez -- but i also want a shifty speedy back who can make explosive plays

Oh yeah, I was hoping for Achane or even Spears last year. This guy fits the bill although I question his actual breakaway speed, he does the rest so well

• Like 1