Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, Conn said:

Luckily for whoever drafts him, that’s fully against league rules. So that specific issue at least won’t need to be contended with. 

I agree though, even just not correcting the (possibly fake) leak of the list of teams he’d play for is kind of an awkward red flag. 

I just don't get how this is even gettin gout as a story. Is everyone kissing his behind so much ye can't tell him this is against the rules and impossible? Is he too dumb to understand it?

This getting out as a report does nothing but hurt him and the people who want to rep him and there is literally zero upside to it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Tried to check in on the game on ESPN's Gamecast.

They told me there was an offisides at the PSU 43 which set up 2nd and Goal from the 2.

Then there was a loss of 80 yards on a sack which set up 2nd and 71. 

Penn State punted after a goal line stand.

Penn State got the ball back back after it touched an Ohio State player.

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Penn State punted after a goal line stand.

Penn State got the ball back back after it touched an Ohio State player.

Yeah, I got that. This was after that. PSU had the ball around the 45 after that, then supposedly got down tot he 2 on the offsides and back to around the 45 on the 80 yard sack. 

On 10/3/2023 at 11:39 AM, Riggo#44 said:

I automatically ignore anyone who says a player is "generational." It's the single most hyperbolic, over-used adjective in sports.

To me a generation in the NFL is the length of a relatively successful football career in the NFL, maybe 8-9 years.  Given that there is a lot of positions QB, RB, WR, TE, T, G. C, DE, DT, offball LB, CB, and S (about 11 positons counting that way, there should be 1 or so generational player per draft.  Obviously some years there will be none and others 3.  But that all assumes a generation is 8 or 9 years, which I do think makes sense.  10 years from now maybe 5% of the guys on a NFL roster will be on a NFL roster so to me to would indicate a generation of players has passed in the NFL.

16 hours ago, philibusters said:

To me a generation in the NFL is the length of a relatively successful football career in the NFL, maybe 8-9 years.  Given that there is a lot of positions QB, RB, WR, TE, T, G. C, DE, DT, offball LB, CB, and S (about 11 positons counting that way, there should be 1 or so generational player per draft.  Obviously some years there will be none and others 3.  But that all assumes a generation is 8 or 9 years, which I do think makes sense.  10 years from now maybe 5% of the guys on a NFL roster will be on a NFL roster so to me to would indicate a generation of players has passed in the NFL.

That's how I take the meaning of the term too.  It's shorthand for "once or twice in a decade." Easier and snappier to just say generational.  It's  also only a description of the player's stock as a prospect.  What happens after he's drafted is beyond that purview.  Maybe the generational prospect goes to the right situation, stays healthy, and has a HoF career like Patrick Peterson or Adrian Peterson or Patrick Willis or Luke Kuechly and Christian McCaffrey.  Maybe he ends up in the meat grinder and can't pan out like Andrew Luck, Reggie Bush, or RGIII.  Maybe the stock valuation was also just wrong like it was for Jadeveon Clowney.  There is a Q Rating factor that goes into these stock valuations for players that can be heavily biased by their high school recruiting hype.  It happened with Clowney.  Tends to happen with linemen quite a bit TBH, when they get pegged as #1 overall type talents as juniors in HS.  Happened with Robert Nkemdiche and Rashan Gary too.

The last time we had a TE get the kind of regard that Bowers has was Kellen Winslow Jr, almost 20 years ago.  In his case the generational label actually fits according to the broader definition of the term.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

The last time we had a TE get the kind of regard that Bowers has was Kellen Winslow Jr, almost 20 years ago.  In his case the generational label actually fits according to the broader definition of the term.

Kyle Pitts 3 years ago?

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 9:01 AM, Going Commando said:

Not if someone is offering them three first round picks.  He's good but no receiver is worth more than that kind of haul.

I would absolutely give up three first round picks for Harrison… if those three first round picks were Davis, Dotson, and Forbes.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

4. New York Giants (2-5)

Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State

The Giants have already invested heavily in the offensive line during the Joe Schoen regime, but the early returns on Evan Neal have been disappointing. A move inside to guard could be a possibility for the 2022 first-rounder. The Giants are second in the NFL in sacks allowed (37) and lack depth across the board. The value at other positions of need -- wide receiver? -- at this spot isn't there, so let's pair Fashanu with Andrew Thomas to give the team a pair of bookend tackles to better protect quarterback Daniel Jones.

At 6-foot-6 and 320 pounds, Fashanu has the lower-body quickness and effortless pass set to match the movement of rushers. And gaining strength throughout his frame will help him develop as a run-blocker.

Team needs: WR, OT, IOL

chi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. Chicago Bears (2-5)

Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama

I was surprised the Bears weren't very aggressive in adding edge rushers during the offseason, and the results haven't been good; the team has 10 sacks this season, the second-fewest in the league. Adding young edge rushers in the 2024 draft should be a priority, and Turner fits the mold. He has assumed the Will Anderson Jr. role in the Alabama defense this season and shown advancement as a pass-rusher. Turner is not only finishing better (8.0 sacks), but he's also generating pressure at an impressive rate. His 19.3% pressure percentage is the fifth-best mark in the FBS.

Walking out of Round 1 with Williams and Turner would be a big win for Chicago.

Team needs: EDGE, WR, C

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. Washington Commanders (3-4)

Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

The Commanders are on pace to set a new NFL record for sacks given up after they have surrendered 40 through seven games. Offensive tackle is a clear need, and Alt would solve a lot of their problems. A towering presence at 6-foot-8 and 315 pounds, he has shown substantial growth in all areas of his game this season. Alt has allowed only three pressures and one sack in 236 pass-blocking snaps this season, and he projects as a high-end starter right away.

Washington might also think about QB here with the uneven play from Sam Howell, but the QB3 race is hard to sort out at the moment. If Colorado's Shedeur Sanders enters the draft, he could be the pick here. If Texas' Quinn Ewers, Michigan's J.J. McCarthy or Washington's Michael Penix Jr. elevate their play over the rest of the season, they could be in the mix, too. But for now, let's give the Commanders some protection.

Team needs: OT, EDGE, TE

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

7. New England Patriots (2-5)

Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia

You would have to go all the way back to 2010 to find the last time the Patriots drafted an offensive playmaker who turned into a standout player: Rob Gronkowski. And with Bowers sitting atop the best available list, New England can land a special tight end to improve QB Mac Jones' supporting cast. He's an ideal fit in the Patriots' offense. Hunter Henry and Mike Gesicki are both scheduled to be free agents, so Bowers would immediately be a go-to option. The Georgia star is out with a left ankle injury, but he had 567 receiving yards over seven games before having surgery.

New England could look to address their QB situation, too, but it's hard to envision coach Bill Belichick wanting to start over with a young passer. Instead, Bowers could help Jones regain his rookie-season form.

Team needs: OT, QB, WR

lv.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Las Vegas Raiders (3-4)

Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama

Las Vegas has a considerable amount of needs on the defensive side of the ball, and it lacks a true CB1. Jakorian Bennett, Nate Hobbs and Amik Robertson are productive young players with potential, but with Marcus Peters on a one-year deal and turning 31 years old this season, the Raiders need more on the outside. At 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds, McKinstry has the length and ball skills to eventually turn into a top NFL corner.

Team needs: IOL, CB, DL

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Green Bay Packers (2-4)

JC Latham, OT, Alabama

The Packers haven't drafted a tackle in the first round since 2011 (Derek Sherrod), trusting their ability to develop Day 2 and Day 3 selections. But injuries and some players not taking the next step have led to an inconsistent front in Green Bay. And quarterback Jordan Love has a 31.6% completion percentage under pressure this season, 30th in the NFL.

Latham is a rock-solid right tackle prospect who is a people-mover in the run game and has good feet to mirror pass-rushers. He has unique strength and movement skills for a 6-foot-6, 360-pounder, and I see some similarities to Tyler Smith when he was coming out of Tulsa in 2022.

Team needs: OT, S, RB

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

10. Tennessee Titans (2-4)

Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson

There are a lot of directions the Titans could go with a top-10 pick. With the trade of safety Kevin Byard, the team hinted at an incoming rebuild. Kristian Fulton is scheduled to become a free agent after the season, so the Titans will likely be searching for a corner alongside Sean Murphy-Bunting. Scouts have been intrigued by Wiggins -- a long and active man-to-man corner -- all season. He is physical in press coverage but also has the awareness to make plays in zone.

Team needs: OT, DT, CB

ind.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

11. Indianapolis Colts (3-4)

Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State

One of the biggest beneficiaries of the transfer portal, Coleman has exploded since transferring from Michigan State to Florida State. At 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, he has the ability to make a wide array of catches. Since the beginning of last season, Coleman leads the FBS in contested touchdown catches (10). Having that type of target to go along with Michael Pittman Jr., Alec Pierce and a surging Josh Downs could be huge for a young passer like Anthony Richardson. (Plus, Pittman is a free agent after the 2023 season, which means there could be an open spot on the depth chart.)

Team needs: CB, WR, EDGE

tb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-3)

Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State

Verse provides an immediate upgrade for Todd Bowles' defense off the edge. Verse hasn't had the same sack production (2.5) that he had last season (9.0) when he burst onto the scene after transferring from Albany, but his pressure numbers have remained consistent with a 13.8% pressure rate. His combination of powerful hands as a run defender and speed-to-power pass-rush moves make him among the most NFL-ready prospects in the class.

Team needs: EDGE, C, TE

cin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

13. Cincinnati Bengals (3-3)

Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

The Bengals' offense has been surprisingly stagnant so far this season, struggling to generate explosive plays. They have seven completions for 20-yards or more, a league-low. And with Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd and Trenton Irwin all in contract years, wide receiver is likely to be at the top of Cincinnati's offseason priority list. Odunze is a well-rounded target who can attack defenses at all three levels. He has reliable hands and big-play potential, with 86.7% of his catches resulting in first downs or touchdowns this season.

Alternatively, the Bengals could look to the offensive line with Georgia tackle Amarius Mims still on the board.

Team needs: OT, WR, RB

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

14. New York Jets (3-3)

Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia

Mims has been sidelined since the third game of the season after undergoing TightRope surgery on his ankle. Coming into the season, many scouts saw him joining the top tier of offensive tackle prospects alongside Fashanu and Alt, and the talent is evident. The back end of Georgia's schedule will be key for him once he returns from injury, as Mims has never allowed a sack but only has five career starts. If he can build off what we've already seen, he's likely to be a quick riser during the pre-draft process. And since the Jets still have an unsettled offensive line, Mims could make a lot of sense here in the middle of Round 1.

Team needs: OT, S, QB

Reid has a whopping 8 tackles in the first round.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/38725599/2024-nfl-mock-draft-round-1-predictions-32-picks

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I’m fully locked into QB. It’s looking like we are drafting top 7 at worst IMO. If it’s not a QB they need to trade back at least once. Get 2025 assets to ensure you’re getting one of those guys. Unfortunately right now 25 is looking to be another bad year. 

4 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

I’m fully locked into QB. It’s looking like we are drafting top 7 at worst IMO. If it’s not a QB they need to trade back at least once. Get 2025 assets to ensure you’re getting one of those guys. Unfortunately right now 25 is looking to be another bad year. 

Why do you think ‘25 is a bad QB year?

For that matter, why do you think ‘24 is a good year?

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

I hope we are able to accumulate some picks at the deadline. Problem with a lame duck FO and HC is the reluctance to make moves and reset. While disappointing, trading assets on a team that is middling and going nowhere is necessary. I have very little ties to any players and while I made a case for keeping all 4 DL with the upcoming money we have, that model has failed spectacularly. And I’m just ready to move on. 

Hopefully we are active sellers and whoever comes in can start with a fresh slate. Whether or not Sam is the answer, tear it down and build the OL. Get as many picks as you can in 2024. 

• Like 2

I just don’t see elite play in the 25 prospects like Klubnick Allar Ewers like I do with Caleb and Maye. Maybe Sanders is a possibility. Same with the FSU kid If he stays. But they need a lot of growth 

Edited by Stihl89

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

God the Pitts hype was so nauseating. What a colossal disappointment he's been and is example 1 of MANY on why you never draft TEs in the 1st.

You have to stop this you’ve been corrected so many times. He had a historically good rookie season and has been stuck with no QB in a running offense (for some reason) ever since. And yet his advanced metrics still show he’s elite, despite poor coaching and usage. By yards gained per route run as an outside receiver, he’s already a top-5 player. That is not among TE’s, it’s among all receivers who run routes against CB’s on the outside (bc his coaching staff is dumb and doesn’t let him roam free against LB’s in the slot like every other elite jumbo slot receiver TE of the past decade, they actually line him up out wide like a WR). He is insanely good and underutilized and has been since year 1 when he had one of the best rookie seasons for a TE ever. Being a fantasy disappointment due to his situation really has nothing to do with his “hype” or being a disappointment—it makes the organization that made him a top pick despite wanting to run a 1980’s offense look incompetent, though. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

I just don’t see elite play in the 25 prospects like Klubnick Allar Ewers like I do with Caleb and Maye. Maybe Sanders is a possibility. Same with the FSU kid If he stays. But they need a lot of growth 

Nothing is saying Sanders, Williams or Maye are coming out this year. So it’s kinda tough to judge the classes.

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Nothing is saying Sanders, Williams or Maye are coming out this year. So it’s kinda tough to judge the classes.

Then thats the case for anyone so there’s really no point of this thread until the day after declaration day

There always had to be some projection and planning multiple years out. Always has been I be updating a bit. I think QB planning needs to be a 2-3 window learning. I hope the next staff is paying attention to HS juniors right now. 

Edited by Stihl89

27 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Then thats the case for anyone so there’s really no point of this thread until the day after declaration day

There always had to be some projection and planning multiple years out. Always has been I be updating a bit. I think QB planning needs to be a 2-3 window learning. I hope the next staff is paying attention to HS juniors right now. 

We use this thread to discuss prospects, not necessarily declare good and bad years as fact prior to declaration.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We use this thread to discuss prospects, not necessarily declare good and bad years as fact prior to declaration.

I think with QB with the level requiring you have to make some declarations before you want to. It’s a necessary evil. If this staff did any of it they wouldn’t have passed on QB opportunities in 2021. Every Draft fan knew by November of 2020 that the 2022 qb class was shaping up to one of the worst in the QB rookie scale era. 

I'm fine with giving Howell another year.  We just need to come away with Fashanu or Alt.  Or hell, sell the farm Mike Ditka style for two top picks and take both of them.  Or being more reasonable, draft one of them and sign an older vet like a Kevin Zeitler or Donovan Smith to a short term deal just to provide some sort of stability and mentorship, but actually be half decent at their jobs..

Edited by Forehead
  • Like 1

Jack Campbell is starting to come along nicely.

Jahmyr Gibbs looks great.

Kirby Joseph was one of my favorite ‘22 safeties. 

I’ll tell ya what… I love this Lions team. So many guys I liked (I wasn’t alone in liking them). 

They are electric and fun.

• Like 3