Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

13 hours ago, Silvernon said:

MLB is still the most probable first round pick to me. You'll lose a first round talent at end, so it does offset the talent loss.  

Probably drafting in the late teens or early 20s, so there's a chance at the top ILB on the board: Gray or Trotter Jr. I have yet to look at the class, but looking forward to it. 

The only other options are OT or DE.

Leno probably gets another year with Daniels as an unknown. Looking like 2025 1st round pick.

Figure they will want to keep the last DL spot inexpensive, so day 2 pick more probable. 

I would be very surprised to see Harris’ handpicked GM go MLB with his first 1st round pick. Just because I presume that guy will be pretty heavy into analytics or at least big into the idea of relative value of resources when building the roster.

Not to say it’s never the right pick—but an off-ball LB is one of the least valuable ways to use a premium pick or premium chunks of cap space, according to lots of research.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Conn said:

I would be very surprised to see Harris’ handpicked GM go MLB with his first 1st round pick. Just because I presume that guy will be pretty heavy into analytics or at least big into the idea of relative value of resources when building the roster.

Not to say it’s never the right pick—but an off-ball LB is one of the least valuable ways to use a premium pick or premium chunks of cap space, according to lots of research.

While I do hope we draft a LBer, pass rusher especially, I'd rather be aggressive with a vet like David, Wagner or Warner is at least one of them should come loose.

Round 2/3 is the LBer money round. Can't wait to see who our next DC is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Interesting read.  If he falls past the top ten, he may be the right pick for Washington. Still plenty of time for critics to fall in and out of love with all the projected draftees.

:229:The Rook

8 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Darrisaw fell to 17, iirc...and we passed on him to draft J Davis.

Yet another prime example of where our GM/HC fell in love with a personality and thought we're going to get an absolute steal here instead of taking the sure thing in a position we desperately needed.

giphy.gif?cid=5a38a5a247isvxn7gnlru00bgner8ji2h9zistl9nkhdx2dc&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Darrisaw fell to 17, iirc...and we passed on him to draft J Davis.

That draft played out so strange, but there were a number of good OTs.

Darrisaw inexplicably fell all the way to 23. He was a top 15 guy no doubt.

The Raiders pulled a Raiders and took OT Leatherwood at 17.  WHO? :ols:

We lucked out with Cosmi falling to us in the 2nd. 

15 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Yet another prime example of where our GM/HC fell in love with a personality and thought we're going to get an absolute steal here instead of taking the sure thing in a position we desperately needed.

giphy.gif?cid=5a38a5a247isvxn7gnlru00bgner8ji2h9zistl9nkhdx2dc&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

They did make LB position of desperate need as well b ignoring it too for so long.

And look where we are today, still needy at both positions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1. Caleb Williams, QB, Southern California
2. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State
3. Ola Fashanu, OT, Penn State
4. Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina
5. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia

6. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame
7. Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama
8. Jer'Zhan Newton, DL, Illinois
9. Chop Robinson, EDGE, Penn State
10. JC Latham, OT, Alabama

11. Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State
12. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
13. Patrick Paul, OT, Houston
14. Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA
15. Malik Nabers, WR, Louisiana State
16. Kalen King, CB, Penn State
17. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
18. Emeka Egbuka, WR, Ohio State
19. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
20. Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State

21. JT Tuimoloau, EDGE, Ohio State
22. Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson
23. Leonard Taylor, DL, Miami
24. Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington
25. Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky
26. Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona
27. Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina
28. Maason Smith, DL, LSU
29. Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State
30. Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa
31. Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU
32. Bralen Trice, EDGE, Washington

33. Bo Nix, QB, Oregon
34. Denzel Burke, CB, Ohio State
35. Tyleik Williams, DL, Ohio State
36. Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami
37. Princely Umanmielen, EDGE, Florida
38. Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas
39. Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

40. Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota
41. Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina
42. Barrett Carter, LB, Clemson
43. Josh Newton, CB, TCU
44. Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami
45. Ja'lynn Polk, WR, Washington
46. TreVeyon Henderson, RB, Ohio State
47. Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas
48. Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
49. Shedeur Sanders, QB, Colorado
50. Gabriel Murphy, LB, UCLA

So, this is the CBS top 50 as of two days ago. If we're 7-10 (my prediction) that puts us at 8-13. We may have a shot at one of the big 3 OTs if so. If we lose both Chase and Sweat, we'll need an edge rusher which would absolutely blow. I'm sure a couple of these QBs will move up into the top 15 as well, pushing OTs down a little. Paul, Mims, Morgan will all be there for us. Kool Aid, King and Wiggins will probably move up to because of positional value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

And look where we are today, still needy at both positions. 

The perils of reaching in the draft.  You never actually fill long term needs.

Jamin is panning out though.  He was a good player, just overdrafted by a round or two.  If he's a late second rounder or early third rounder, we're completely happy with the pick.

• Like 2

Davis is fine. The LB spot opposite him is a black hole.

I don't think this team will prioritize edge if we lose one of Sweat/Young. If we lose both, they'll need to somehow. 

I think we are looking at OT in the first, pretty much regardless of anything else. The only other position I can see (and I disagree with) is quarterback. 

• Like 2

Reports coming out that Caleb Williams wants partial ownership in whatever team picks him.

Someone is going to pick him. 

Something just doesn’t add up to me with these kid. He’s a great talent, electric and has the skill set for a QB.

But he has a gigantic ego. Which you kind of want with a football player, and guys like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Lamar all have egos to some extent, so it’s not the ego part that bothers me…

Its he hasn’t done well against good defenses all things considered in college and now he wants ownership of whatever team that drafts him?

I don’t know… all the ego QBs didn’t really have them coming into the League. They earned it.

New breed of athlete and a different time… that’s not lost on me. Just feels strange.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Reports coming out that Caleb Williams wants partial ownership in whatever team picks him.

Something just doesn’t add up to me with these kid. He’s a great talent, electric and has the skill set for a QB.

But he has a gigantic ego. Which you kind of want with a football player, and guys like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Lamar all have egos to some extent, so it’s not the ego part that bothers me…

Its he hasn’t done well against good defenses all things considered in college and now he wants ownership of whatever team that drafts him?

I don’t know… all the ego QBs didn’t really have them coming into the League. They earned it.

New breed of athlete and a different time… that’s not lost on me. Just feels strange.

Luckily for whoever drafts him, that’s fully against league rules. So that specific issue at least won’t need to be contended with. 

I agree though, even just not correcting the (possibly fake) leak of the list of teams he’d play for is kind of an awkward red flag. 

46 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Are those reports accurate though? I saw a FOS report from our friend, AJ Perez, blasting Twitter Aggregators who perpetuate rumors like this, using out of context and false quotes. This was one of the examples he used.

17 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Are those reports accurate though? I saw a FOS report from our friend, AJ Perez, blasting Twitter Aggregators who perpetuate rumors like this, using out of context and false quotes. This was one of the examples he used.

I don’t know but they keep coming out and I haven’t heard otherwise.

There is fake reporting every year regarding the draft. Who knows what to believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I think people around him talk big talk and he probably is picking up on.   All rookie contracts are predetermined as part of labor agreement so he'll get whatever contract the number 1 pick gets assuming he is the number 1 pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

@KDawg is this also the guy that had the short list of teams he would allow to draft him? Because if so I want nothing to do with him. Two massive red flags.

Yes, the Giants supposedly being one of those teams.  And not this team on the list which supposedly was his childhood favorite team and he even commented about in celebration when Snyder left.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think people around him talk big talk and he probably is picking up on.   All rookie contracts are predetermined as part of labor agreement so he'll get whatever contract the number 1 pick gets assuming he is the number 1 pick.

Yes. Doesn’t stop him from saying it. 

And it may be the people around him… but that has not bode well for a lot of these kids

53 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yes. Doesn’t stop him from saying it. 

And it may be the people around him… but that has not bode well for a lot of these kids

He is a local kid.   There was a poster on the University of Maryland football board who I think coached him in youth football.  I didn't get the impression when he was a HS senior and I was somewhat following his recruiting process that he was a entitled brat, but he has had a lot of success since then so it may have gone to his head.

In terms of UMD, I don't think he ever had a serious interest in Maryland, but he understood the game (give the local school some nice words because your HS coaches and trainers need to maintain a relationship with them and you don't want to dis them), and gave them some lip service during his recruiting process.

Edited by philibusters
  • Thanks 1