Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

It’ll be interesting to see how this thread develops as the year goes on given our need for fresh blood on the offensive line, which doesn’t make for flashy highlight reels (unless you’re into that 🤣). 

Anyone know how Fashanu (in particular) and Alt are doing thus far - I’m pretty sure Penn State and ND win their opening games pretty convincingly, but again with them playing their respective position they likely don’t show up on the stat sheet in the same way. 

As an aside, anyone been watching Georgia? Only I noted Brock Bowers only has 6 receptions for 81 yards and 0 TD’s, which is surprising given I expected him to be a focal point of their offense this year. It’s only a small sample size though I guess, so could well increase.  

Georgia has just been playing tune up exhibition games. They're not playing their best players deep into games yet.

Their schedule is ultra soft this year.  Ole Miss and Tennessee are their only ranked opponents right now, and most of the SEC looks like it's on a downswing.   Florida is cratering.  Georgia Tech is going to be one of their most competitive opponents probably.  They are going to be involved in a lot of blowouts.

50 minutes ago, Starry Plough said:

It’ll be interesting to see how this thread develops as the year goes on given our need for fresh blood on the offensive line, which doesn’t make for flashy highlight reels (unless you’re into that 🤣). 

Anyone know how Fashanu (in particular) and Alt are doing thus far - I’m pretty sure Penn State and ND win their opening games pretty convincingly, but again with them playing their respective position they likely don’t show up on the stat sheet in the same way. 

As an aside, anyone been watching Georgia? Only I noted Brock Bowers only has 6 receptions for 81 yards and 0 TD’s, which is surprising given I expected him to be a focal point of their offense this year. It’s only a small sample size though I guess, so could well increase.  

I haven't watched them yet.   But I know plenty draftniks thought Fashanu was the best O lineman in the last draft if he came out.

As for paying attention to O line, its not sexy, etc.  That's the same ride we had last off season.  We thought they'd go O line and we dove deep into the position.  Rivera just surprised and didn't indulge.

I gather 2024 after Rivera is likely fired when this season is over.  The next regime will be all hands on deck at that spot.  And I agree this time they like do go heavy O line.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

39 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Georgia has just been playing tune up exhibition games. They're not playing their best players deep into games yet.

Their schedule is ultra soft this year.  Ole Miss and Tennessee are their only ranked opponents right now, and most of the SEC looks like it's on a downswing.   Florida is cratering.  Georgia Tech is going to be one of their most competitive opponents probably.  They are going to be involved in a lot of blowouts.

Wow, a shame they aren't playing their normal fairly strong schedule. Their players usually come into the league closer to being pro ready than most other teams. That's based on their program, coaching and schedule. 

On a good note, they will be less beat up coming into the draft/NFL. Look at all those bama players we spoke of earlier in this thread, how they take a beating with the practice and game expectations place on them.

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Will see if it lasts but if so Dallas drafts Parsons who came with off the field issues -- and now likewise the Eagles with Carter might score big. 

Screen Shot 2023-09-12 at 11.45.31 AM.png

Parsons was a little bit different from Carter.  For one, it was a COVID year where he didn't play.  Another thing was that Carter was engaged in an activity that caused two people to lose their lives.  Maybe he grows up.  However, 9 teams didn't want to risk it.  I can't fault them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Parsons was a little bit different from Carter.  For one, it was a COVID year where he didn't play.  Another thing was that Carter was engaged in an activity that caused two people to lose their lives.  Maybe he grows up.  However, 9 teams didn't want to risk it.  I can't fault them.

Agree the red flags were much bigger on Carter.  But Parsons was definitely buyer beware with some at the time.

11 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I feel like people in the know were less concerned with Parsons than the media, they all have private investigators we don't get to hear from! Lol

I watched the Hey Rookie episodes that year from ESPN (they follow some draft prospects through the draft process) and I mentioned at the time Parsons comes off like a good dude, and competitve as heck before the draft.  

The other dude who came off the best IMO on the same show a year later was his best bud, Jahan Dotson.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

How would you guys compare Drake Maye to Adam Howell with regards to arm strength, as a passer, and with regards to running/mobility?

I think he's more talented than Sam Howell in every way.  Sam is no slouch as an athlete, but Drake is an elite athlete.  King sized with Trevor Lawrence or Justin Herbert like stature and mobility.  He's more explosive and agile than them actually.  Elite arm talent.  Unique creativity and field vision.  Totally unflappable poise.  His demeanor reminds me of the congressman that Adam Scott's character in Parks and Rec goes to work for, where after he is done giving his speeches and shaking hands, he goes and sits in his office and stares at the wall like an unplugged robot.  Drake does that on the sideline, absolutely zero emotion no matter what he's just done.  Like a quarterback terminator.

He's as brimming with natural talent as any QB I can remember.  He makes special plays look easy and routine and I have never seen him play with any fear.  Some guys are just so superior that the game is much easier for them than everyone else, and Drake is that kind of player.  If he ends up in the right situation in the NFL, then he can be the best QB in the league one day.

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched the Hey Rookie episodes that year from ESPN (they follow some draft prospects through the draft process) and I mentioned at the time Parsons comes off like a good dude, and competitve as heck before the draft.  

The other dude who came off the best IMO on the same show a year later was his best bud, Jahan Dotson.

Yeah Parsons has no character issues. He had a scuffle once in HS because someone called him the N Word or something along those lines, but that's it. He's just a super alpha male type but he would have thrived in our locker room. Such a shame, he is the guy I wanted more than anyone in that draft class(him or Pat Surtain jr who is also a stud).

C'est la vie...

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Parsons has no character issues. He had a scuffle once in HS because someone called him the N Word or something along those lines, but that's it. He's just a super alpha male type but he would have thrived in our locker room. Such a shame, he is the guy I wanted more than anyone in that draft class(him or Pat Surtain jr who is also a stud).

C'est la vie...

What? He had rape and sexual assault allegations in college.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

C'est la vie...

He rapped his team mates. I guess that's not a red flag in the prison that you're posting from.  :ols:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2023 at 12:32 PM, Koolblue13 said:

I feel fairly confident that our new FO/Coaching staff will have a top ten draft pick to play with. 

LT will be the priority I'd guess.

I’m expecting the offseason to be fairly wild. Couple of significant moves in FA and a completely different approach in the draft. None of this playing safe business. Could see a much more aggressive draft strategy and that may well result in a major trade up IMO.

• Like 1