Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Powerful new obesity drug poised to upend weight loss care

China

Powerful new obesity drug poised to upend weight loss care

As a growing number of overweight Americans clamor for Ozempic and Wegovy — drugs touted by celebrities and on TikTok to pare pounds — an even more powerful obesity medicine is poised to upend treatment.

Tirzepatide, an Eli Lilly and Co. drug approved to treat type 2 diabetes under the brand name Mounjaro, helped people with the disease who were overweight or had obesity lose up to 16% of their body weight, or more than 34 pounds, over nearly 17 months, the company said on Thursday.

The late-stage study of the drug for weight loss adds to earlier evidence that similar participants without diabetes lost up to 22% of their body weight over that period with weekly injections of the drug. For a typical patient on the highest dose, that meant shedding more than 50 pounds.

Having diabetes makes it notoriously difficult to lose weight, said Dr. Nadia Ahmad, Lilly’s medical director of obesity clinical development, which means the recent results are especially significant. “We have not seen this degree of weight reduction,” she said.

Based on the new results, which have not yet been published in full, company officials said they will finalize an application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for fast-track approval to sell tirzepatide for chronic weight management. A decision could come later this year. A company spokeswoman would not confirm whether the drug would be marketed for weight loss in the U.S. under a different brand name.

If approved for weight loss, tirzepatide could become the most effective drug to date in an arsenal of medications that are transforming the treatment of obesity, which affects more than 4 in 10 American adults and is linked to dozens of diseases that can lead to disability or death.

“If everybody who had obesity in this country lost 20% of their body weight, we would be taking patients off all of these medications for reflux, for diabetes, for hypertension,” said Dr. Caroline Apovian, a director of the Center for Weight Management and Wellness at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. “We would not be sending patients for stent replacement.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

You take the medicine, shed some weight in a couple of years and then what?   Stay on the drug for the rest of your life?

Maybe this a good way for morbidly obese people to get started in their weight loss journey.  What happens when you stop taking it?   For folks who aren't morbidly obese, why not just eat sensibly and exercise more?

Unless there's an underlying medical condition that causes obesity, then it ain't brain surgery....you eat it, you wear it.  😉

• Like 1

I've looked at these drugs except this new one for several years. 

1. They're expensive. Out of my budget. 

2. The side effects are pretty horrific from my point of view. I'm hesitant.

3. So until prices and side effects are taken care of, they're not for me. 

It's hard for me to lose weight, I've lost almost 10 lbs in about two years of diet control. I'd love to lose 30 more lbs.

I read an article on Ozempic in the past week. It was about how people are losing their hair on these weight loss drugs - a common effect of rapid weight loss. They believe it’s temporary… whatever.

Now, I’m sure there’s many other more terrible side effects… where the cure is worse than the disease.

But for a lot of ppl, their hair is a valued part of their identity and self-worth.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

been wary of these drugs. doctors are warning against ozempic now. 

I'm not very fat but I'm gaining a beer belly and I need to cut my gut. I've considered fat burners but at the end of the day proper weight and exercise are the solution. although again I mention I'm not very fat, just 170

• Thumb up 1

I've lost about 30 pounds over the course of a year - from 270ish to 240ish  Doesn't seem like much but I wasn't really that strict, just upping the exercise and trying to eat more healthy (generally more keto-type meals like, salads, etc.) and eating junk sparingly

I got one of those fitness trackers (FitBit Versa) because I was a bit curious how my calories burned compared to what the elliptical trainer was telling me The Fitbit was about 75% of the elliptical trainers readout, and about 85% of what I extrapolated from a published study for the same exercise and duration given my weight

But what I think what has helped me is it encourages me to track consumption, which I do now pretty much religiously.  Sometimes I've had to estimate if the nutrition information isn't available.  But I would like to think over a long enough time the errors should balance out.  The downside of tracking was that a I started experimenting with certain foods I missed to see if I could eat a measured portion.  The answer is basically know unless I say go out a buy a small portion - like say a single donut from Dunkin or a Wendy's single.  But keeping anything like that in my house is a bad idea.

I think the Fitbit is overestimating my TDEE.   Its claiming from a bit over 3k for a "rest" day to nearly 5k for a very active day, with an average of 4k.  My average calorie consumption has been around 2900 over the past few weeks, and it claims I should have lost about 8 pounds when its really more like 2-3.  In reality I think I'm averaging a burn of maybe 3200.  I would like to lose 2 pounds a week so I'm trying to lower average calorie consumption to 2200.  I would actually have some really lean days under 2000 but they have these blowout days where it was like 4500.  

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

senior-greymare.gif

I'm lucky if I average 1500 calories a day. Still my weight hovers around 180ish. Think it's an improvement from my sickly lookin college days of 160ish honesty. 

Is that just an estimate or do you actually track?  Because even if sedentary I'd be surprised if you're not losing weight on 1500 at 180 pounds.

8 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Is that just an estimate or do you actually track?  Because even if sedentary I'd be surprised if you're not losing weight on 1500 at 180 pounds.

I don't really track it other than just kinda rough estimate adding up everything I eat most days. I probably should be as I'm curious. Not like it's to difficult to track that I usually have a protein shake, couple eggs, n some type of chicken or pork dish. 🤣

• Like 1