Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

Just now, CommandB11 said:

Different positions and roles. Also complement each other well.

I get that but we have so many early picks invested in the defense and they are an above average unit, the offense has been atrocious maybe im shaking my head at nothing but I think they should have taking oline/tight end in the 2nd 

• Like 1

Just now, CjSuAvE22 said:

I get that but we have so many early picks invested in the defense and they are an above average unit, the offense has been atrocious maybe im shaking my head at nothing but I think they should have taking oline/tight end in the 2nd 

Dont disagree. But i think the draft sort of dictated what was best available as well

18 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I dont get taking def backs in first and second first was fine but cmon….

It’ll all shake out in the end. 

Didnt appear to be any linebackers available 🤔

I think day three will yield OL, LB, QB and RB. 

This defense might not be quite as good as you think, though. Plenty of questions and depth issues that warrant a decent draft grade for these picks so far. 

18 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Has anyone taken Jaelyn Duncan the LT from Maryland? He's a bit inconsistent but a great athlete who seems to have all of the tools but just hasn't put it all together but at 6'6" and 320 lbs, maybe worth a look. 

Never mind. I just checked. He's still available! I'd pick him. 

32 minutes ago, Conn said:

This is likely overly hopeful, as they did not suffice last year. I’m not as down on the OL as many but even if our (first string when we don’t have any injuries) guys were league average, that’s not what you want. Especially in this division. 

Average is all I want at Oline lol Must be coupled with a great coordinator, hoping EB is that guy. 

Be cheap and continue to add 3rd-5th round guys year in and year out as well as the occasional first round talent. The key is having 7 or 8 guys who can fill in, because it’s a certainty injuries will take place. 

32 minutes ago, Conn said:

TE is a major point of projection. If this staff is right about the potential of the young developmental guys we have cooking then we’ll be fine. They are not always right about their own roster evaluations, though. If those young guys don’t take a step forward we have perhaps the worst TE situation in the league, as Thomas is toast. His athleticism is sapped and he wasn’t amazing to begin with—he had a limited but effective skillset that now suffers, and his weaknesses are more glaring because he doesn’t offset them with the rest. 

Reports are the coaches and FO thought some of Thomas’ twitch was coming back. Also, he reportedly came back early and it showed. I love Bates and like the athleticism the others showed, but I’ll concede it’s probably projects as one of the weaker groups on the roster unless Thomas is back. 

43 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Thats fair, I just think this roster is loaded with folks like that hence why we are a million miles away from Championship contending.

I said it last night and perhaps I’m just sick of Ron and this middle of the road stuff, I’ve grown impatient with it and luckily I think a year from today we’ll be headed in hopefully a more exciting direction. In the meantime I’ll be backing these young guys that they bring in.

This explains why we may be far a part, this easily the best roster in the last 15 or so years. Howell becomes Hurts of two years ago and Washington will become media darlings quick. 

Roster is loaded. QB is king and a huge question mark remains, the rest of the roster stacks up with most of the league IMHO

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Posted this yesterday before day 2, updated with who I think is left on the board from our visits. Guard and LB seems inevitable.

Top 30 Visits

Atonio Mafi, OG, UCLA (source)

Terrell Smith, CB, Minnesota (source)

Kyle Soelle, LB, Arizona State (source)

Braeden Daniels, G, Utah (source)

Keidron Smith, CB, Kentucky (source)

Ben VanSumeren, LB, Michigan State (source)

Brycen Tremayne, WR, Stanford (source)

Mason Brooks, OC, Mississippi (source)

Sidy Sow, OG, Eastern Michigan (source)

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

We have 3 WR's that run in the 4.3 range, a RB that runs in the 4.3 range. We have tons of speed. That is not the issue.

I am also sick of the Dax Milne Experiment.

Hey now! I'd be willing to bet Mline DOUBLES his yards per return average this year and possibly triples it thanks to the unwavering and world class leadership and coaching of one Ronald Rivera 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, method man said:

It is a BPA at position of need approach and being somewhat cognizant of the depth at certain positions (the Strommy pick being an example)

For the love of god... NO MORE DAY 2 RB SELECTIONS lol.... We have a gaping hole at LB and our offensive line was so consistently awful we probably had to eliminate half of our playbook due to the fact one of our offensive lineman would completely whiff on their block or get shoved strait into the QB's lap with 4.4 forty yard dash speed lol. I seriously will never understand why half our fans would burn early picks year in and year out on a position group we are already pretty set at and also a position group that is not important anyway 

• Like 2

Damn WR Tyler Scott is still available. Don’t see him lasting to our pick in the 4th unfortunately.

Be interesting to see which back we take. My top preferences would be either Eric Gray or Roschon Johnson, although there are a stack who will fit the bill nicely.

Johnson in particular is excellent in pass pro, a key factor for EB, and he’s also an outstanding core special teamer. Low mileage too. 

Too bad the best TE and OT were selected before we picked. I like those three in the 4th OT Joe Fischer, TE Josh Wyle, LB Henry To'oTo'o.

This guy has first round talent only if we could fix his mindset.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

Dawand Jones really did sell out on himself. Based on his passion for Basketball, I wonder if he’s really motivated by football ? Not sure.

Given the fact we’ve picked 3 players who all had outstanding top 30 visits by the sounds of it, can’t see us picking Jones on the basis he couldn’t be bothered even attending his with us. 

However, maybe at some point the value is worth the risk. Probably goes to Philly.

I kinda see Fuller and Chase Roullier getting cut - not many others fly off the cap hit page as likely candidates like they do. We can't pay our rookies so someones gone. Shades of having to take Mathis last year from mismanaging our DL. Drafting to fill holes from letting decent players walk.

I still think we were well served to target offense early and DBs later to support our shaky QB room. Strength of this staff is developing DBs. Anyone sold on Howell has their fingers crossed but all know he'll need help especially vs our divisions F7. Cutting Chase (at full health our best OL before injury) and replacing with Stromberg I see as a downgrade short term. I am not sold on our OL QBs TEs & heck not even our RBs. I doubt we go QB today but am fine to give Howell competition. I would like to see us trade up one of these years and stop watering down talent and missing on position runs.

How'd we end up in cap hell anyways. Can't we convert salary to signing bonuses slip Mara a check and keep everyone like back in the day.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I kinda see Fuller and Chase Roullier getting cut - not many others fly off the cap hit page as likely candidates

Very well could be true but I'm getting tired of this mentality from the team.

If the coaches determine that neither player can contribute to the team in a meaningful way then absolutely but if both are still quality starters then restructure a deal or two like other teams do and make those positions strengths.

Otherwise your not improving your team through the draft your just treading water.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rocky21 said:

I ain’t gonna lie.  I’m extremely underwhelmed by our draft so far.

Every player selected was projected to be drafted lower than they were.  

I think we’ve got 3 excellent players who likely start week 1.

But I do agree, by not trading and picking at 16,47,97 we’ve taken them earlier that I’d like too. 

2 hours ago, FrFan said:

Too bad the best TE and OT were selected before we picked. I like those three in the 4th OT Joe Fischer, TE Josh Wyle, LB Henry To'oTo'o.

This guy has first round talent only if we could fix his mindset.

Can't play LG but has the potential to play T better than any of out T's