Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It really didnt matter though. If the Pats truly liked Gonzo they would have taken him at 14 if they couldnt find a trade partner and we still would have taken Forbes at 16. 

That's not the point. The point is that suddenly lots of people knew in advance who we were picking. We are either really bad at keeping secrets or really bad at drafting for need. Possibly both. We could have lost Forbes or teams could have/may have traded up or down with that knowledge.

Just now, UK Skins said:

That's not the point. The point is that suddenly lots of people knew in advance who we were picking. We are either really bad at keeping secrets or really bad at drafting for need. Possibly both. We could have lost Forbes or teams could have/may have traded up or down with that knowledge.

I get the feeling that it's not uncommon for teams to know what other teams' draft plans based on interviews and hearsay from prospects. What's stopping a kid like Forbes from letting Patriots scouts know the commanders showed interest in him?

Just now, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

I said make an immediate impact, not suck. Unless you count sucking as an impact, too, which in that case: 

White Goodman Reaction GIF

I'll never forget the time Weedon got trapped under the american flag

Brandon Weeden Gets Trapped Under American Flag | Flashback Friday | NFL - YouTube

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Basically we're watching the Eagles build a team that will be a contender for titles probably the rest of this decade. They're like the Patriots, and Colts in the aughts, and the Patriots last decade, the Niners and Cowboys and Broncos and Packers in the 90's. That's where they're headed. We look for now like we aspire to be a Wild Card team, with a floor of dumpster fire if we can't hit on QB with Howell. We'll see, but in truth, we aren't catching the Eagles for a few years, nothing we do now changes that, and I don't see a lot of evidence Ron is ever catching them but if we can hit on Howell or a QB next year, we can build a top 5 team in the NFC pretty easy, because the conference is a mess. The negative is, it's hard to see how we catch Philly, Dallas, and SF in the short term, the good news beyond that is that there arent any other teams that are close to those 3, even the lions last night ---- their pants wasting a top draft pick on a specialty rb when they already signed Monty and had Swift under control for one more year. So the Lions epic remodel just jumped the tracks a teeny bit (they just lowered their ceiling a bit). 

The fact that he's done above average w/drafts despite reaching in round 1, and consistently missing in round 2 is pretty impressive, but its not enough, with the positional cohort problems and no QB on the roster to move the needle much beyond where its been traditionally the past 30 years (floating between a bottom 5-10 team in the league, to being a top 10-15 team in the league). I don't see anything that changes that other than Howell's development, so skimping on OL was pretty freaking stupid (at least in round 1) as was not trading down. Improving DB play incrementally isn't changing this teams fortunes period, its just the moving chairs/titanic thing. 

You said it perfectly.  It was a bad pick and fans are just caught up in the moment.  Teams won't fear him.  I do fear Jalen Carter, Mazi Smith, and Nolan Smith.  Our rivals got so much better last night and we took a 165 lb guy.  I realize the top tackles were gone and we couldn't trade back, I get it.  But imagine Kincaid in EB's offense.  He would have helped Howell so much and a huge upgrade over Thomas.  We screwed up.  

• Like 1

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-draft-day-1-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Grade: B

WAS

Draft pick: Mississippi State CB Emmanuel Forbes (No. 16 overall)

Analysis: The ultra-lean Forbes (6-foot-1, 166 pounds) was a prolific ballhawk in college, collecting 14 interceptions over his career. Washington definitely needed a corner, and Forbes sticks to his man, but a potential strength disadvantage against NFL receivers will be something to monitor. If the ball continues to find him at the next level, though, he could wind up a solid selection.

Grade: A

NE

Draft pick: Oregon CB Christian Gonzalez (No. 17 overall)

Analysis: Gonzalez’s size, athleticism and ball skills are excellent, meaning the Patriots got great value here even after moving down three spots in a trade with the Steelers to pick up a fourth-round selection. I was a bit surprised he was still available this late, but New England won't complain.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

My best receiver available is Charlie Jones and for me it's not close. But he's a slot guy and we don't need more of them. I don't see an X worth 47. Mingo comes into play later.

Mayer, Washington, LaPorta are all potential picks if we are drafting BPA.

Mauch, Bergeron, Dawand, Torrence are the best OL available. 

McBride, Achane, Charbonnet the best backs. 

Defensively Branch and Trenton Simpson are probably the two biggest standouts left.

I've got Roschon as the best back, I like Achane least, but that fits what they're looking for, and I agree w/sip, that roschon, despite being much better prospect than Brian Johnson, is overly similar, and wont be the guy. Don't like Achane at all. Charbonnet seems like a high floor guy that's again, a bit better than Robinson, but not what we want. 

I hope they get one of the top 4 OL left or trade down and have one fall. Im fearing we get yet another wtf?!?!?! second rounder. 

Just now, The Consigliere said:

I've got Roschon as the best back, I like Achane least, but that fits what they're looking for, and I agree w/sip, that roschon, despite being much better prospect than Brian Johnson, is overly similar, and wont be the guy. Don't like Achane at all. Charbonnet seems like a high floor guy that's again, a bit better than Robinson, but not what we want. 

I hope they get one of the top 4 OL left or trade down and have one fall. Im fearing we get yet another wtf?!?!?! second rounder. 

Oh, we're going to. 

So who are the Tackles that will go in the 2nd or 3rd round who profile well long-term as LTs? I'm talking (sorry to drop this name) Geron Christian types that need a year or two and could play RT/Swing Tackle in the interim?

At #47 that would likely only be Dawan Jones right?

What about Bergeron? Isn't he more RT/G?

Tyler Steen seems like RT/G

Is Jaelyn Duncan from UMD an option long-term at LT?

If we go IOL at #47 I want to know who we can be targeting in R3 or R4 who could come in, backup Wylie, and possibly flip to replace Leno at some point. 

I will say again, if Howell is not good tihs year, we are likely trading assets next year to move up for a QB. So we won't have premier draft capital (though we'll have tons of cap space) to target a premier LT. I want an Orlando Brown Jr in R3. Someone who is massive but needs work. 

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So who are the Tackles that will go in the 2nd or 3rd round who profile well long-term as LTs? I'm talking (sorry to drop this name) Geron Christian types that need a year or two and could play RT/Swing Tackle in the interim?

At #47 that would likely only be Dawan Jones right?

What about Bergeron? Isn't he more RT/G?

Tyler Steen seems like RT/G

Is Jaelyn Duncan from UMD an option long-term at LT?

If we go IOL at #47 I want to know who we can be targeting in R3 or R4 who could come in, backup Wylie, and possibly flip to replace Leno at some point. 

I will say again, if Howell is not good tihs year, we are likely trading assets next year to move up for a QB. So we won't have premier draft capital (though we'll have tons of cap space) to target a premier LT. I want an Orlando Brown Jr in R3. Someone who is massive but needs work. 

Zion Nelson, Jaelyn Duncan are higher upside low floor guys.

Mauch can play any OL spot. He's my main want I think other than Bergy.

Bergeron can play LT, but he's not a prototype there. 

Freeland. 

But these are 2nd-4th round guys.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

This is from yesterday so it is possible. 

I would take #32, their 3rd, and a future 1st for Chase.

I think I would take #32 and a 3rd for Sweat.

I don't find that likely though. We need to win now, Ron don't care about future picks. 

I would imagine it would allow you to go OL or DE at #32 and the other at #47 but you need to replace him immediately.

#32 is pretty valuable though. If we got that from the Steelers I would hope we'd immediately turn around and get some trade value so that we can address multiple things in R2 or R3 including multiple DEs.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I would take #32, their 3rd, and a future 1st for Chase.

I think I would take #32 and a 3rd for Sweat.

I don't find that likely though. We need to win now, Ron don't care about future picks. 

Without being too caught up in sunk costs, if any team offered us a 2nd this year for Young I’d do that deal in a heartbeat. I guess it’s always possible he regains his former form but even so, he’s set to hit free agency after this year. The team would be trading for a year of extremely questionable performance. Washington recouping a 2 would be a tremendous steal based on his current state. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It really didnt matter though. If the Pats truly liked Gonzo they would have taken him at 14 if they couldnt find a trade partner and we still would have taken Forbes at 16. 

The reason it matters is that information should never be known to other teams.

Just because we got lucky and got the guy we wanted doesn't change that.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Chase to the Steelers for #32 and #49 and a 2024 2nd

Trade #32 to Buffalo for 57, 93 and a 2024 3rd

1 minute ago, TheGoodBits said:

Without being too caught up in sunk costs, if any team offered us a 2nd this year for Young I’d do that deal in a heartbeat. I guess it’s always possible he regains his former form but even so, he’s set to hit free agency after this year. The team would be trading for a year of extremely questionable performance. Washington recouping a 2 would be a tremendous steal based on his current state. 

If Josina is right and we'd need to be blown away (like 2 1sts) then I doubt we could strike a deal.

But maybe we'd take #32, #49 and a 2024 2nd round pick from the Steelers for him. 

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Chase to the Steelers for #32 and #49 and a 2024 2nd

Trade #32 to Buffalo for 57, 93 and a 2024 3rd

If Josina is right and we'd need to be blown away (like 2 1sts) then I doubt we could strike a deal.

But maybe we'd take #32, #49 and a 2024 2nd round pick from the Steelers for him. 

If we got two firsts for Chase Young I'd immediately apologize to Rivera for his ho hum approach. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

lmfao two 1s for Young? what universe are y'all living in? Aaron Rodgers a freaking future HOF QB didn't even fetch that much.

We'd be lucky if a team offered a 3rd straight up for Young. He has no trade value right now.

I don't think anyone thinks we're going to get two firsts for Young. That was what the tweet said. We aren't dumb enough to think we could sell that salt to the slug. 

• Thanks 1