Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Product Recommendation Thread

Spaceman Spiff

Ok, look this is one is going to be a little bit boujee, but the GE Opal 2.0 Ice Maker is my favorite appliance by far.

It makes the good ice; Those crunchy little nuggets that one gets at certain restaurants (and now Starbucks, apparently) that are so easy to chomp and enjoy in whatever you’re drinking.

And when invited to things away from home, I’m asked to bring ice! 

IMG_7848.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What's the best brand for cordless power tools?

I've got a ton of DeWalt. 

Now, I'm a long way from a professional. And, the DeWalt tools come in several grades, and I tend to buy the higher grades. 

But before them, I had Ryobi. And they sucked. What did it for me was trying to rip a 2x4. Admittedly pressure treated. And having to use 4 batteries to do one 2x4. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 8/5/2023 at 7:33 AM, FuriousD said:

Samsung TVs are great but do not buy their appliances!
We remodeled our kitchen about 8 years ago and put in matching set of Samsung stainless steel appliances. Have replaced the ice maker on the fridge 3 times now but have since given up and buy or make ice the old fashioned way. Dishwasher leaks and random error codes abound. Gas range needed all controls replaced after approx 3 years and now the gas valve is going out (I think) as if doesn’t seem to be able to maintain constant pressure. You can hear and see the flame fluctuating sometimes and oven can take an eternity to get to 400. Only thing that hasn’t given us any problems has been the microwave!

Stay away from Samsung appliances!!!

On 8/5/2023 at 9:53 AM, Fergasun said:

@FuriousD

I am sorry you felt the need for matching stainless appliance brands. 

Samsung fridge owner here and yes, the icemaker is a known and well known issue.  It ices/frosts over.  Unfortunately, if you are like me you would use a hair dryer on it.  This results in slight warping/damaging other parts.  We have found that defrosting it with coffee mugs full of hot water works (or a steamer).  It does take some patience to cycle through. The icemaker is not "broken" per se... its a design flaw.

GE Adora gas range.... that thing is awesome.

Bosch stainless dishwasher.  I know people complain about these too, but awesome. 

We also have the Samsung microwave... not a problem either.

Re: Samsung Fridge Ice maker. 

We had the same problem (ice maker icing over, wouldn't make ice, water dispenser would freeze) and finally after 6+ years had Samsung come out repair for free (there is a class action lawsuit pending i think).

The local tech came out and replaced a few parts but the main problem is the ice maker seal is bad when manufactured and allows air in. He added some glue to better seal and so far no issues now for 6+ months.

Still have the occasional problem with ice building up on the coils near the fan in the fridge though. It's an easy fix when it happens but a pain in the ass to have to do. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Yeah I'm not a fan of Samsung appliances. My microwave is in need of a replacement. The dishwasher gives some stoopid error code in regards to the half load setting even if it's not selected for use. The electric range is still good but the digital clock has been unreadable for quite some time. 

Also not a fan of GE fridges. Theys cheaped out by not insulating the water line. So it freezes solid easily. They sell a after market heater for it but I read reviews from folks saying it effects the taste of the water. Guy on YouTube suggested putting some weed wacker chord up the line. Then once it freezes pull it out to breakup the clogging ice. Worked pretty well for years until it froze solid n now the chord is stuck. 🤦

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 12:53 PM, Fergasun said:

@FuriousD

I am sorry you felt the need for matching stainless appliance brands. 

Samsung fridge owner here and yes, the icemaker is a known and well known issue.  It ices/frosts over.  Unfortunately, if you are like me you would use a hair dryer on it.  This results in slight warping/damaging other parts.  We have found that defrosting it with coffee mugs full of hot water works (or a steamer).  It does take some patience to cycle through. The icemaker is not "broken" per se... its a design flaw.

GE Adora gas range.... that thing is awesome.

Bosch stainless dishwasher.  I know people complain about these too, but awesome. 

We also have the Samsung microwave... not a problem either.

I can't imagine living without matching appliances.   I've had to replace an item for that reason.  Our house now doesn't match but that's because we already know replacing them all os high on our list.

@FuriousD

@TheGreatBuzz

Sorry - I was very precise.  What I spoke about that was negative is "same brand" matching.  I convinced my wife that it was fine to go with a GE range, Samsung fridge and Bosch dishwasher so long as they were all stainless and it would match.  And it all does match. 

Defrosting the Samsung icemaker now also....

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of Samsung appliances. My microwave is in need of a replacement. The dishwasher gives some stoopid error code in regards to the half load setting even if it's not selected for use. The electric range is still good but the digital clock has been unreadable for quite some time. 

Also not a fan of GE fridges. Theys cheaped out by not insulating the water line. So it freezes solid easily. They sell a after market heater for it but I read reviews from folks saying it effects the taste of the water. Guy on YouTube suggested putting some weed wacker chord up the line. Then once it freezes pull it out to breakup the clogging ice. Worked pretty well for years until it froze solid n now the chord is stuck. 🤦

I have GE appliances in my apartment, they're black and I prefer white because eyesight. My icemaker in the fridge froze twice. This last time, I asked the maintenance guy if he could stop it from the back and he did. I use ice trays now if I need ice. The other appliances seem okay. 

• Thumb up 1

• 1 month later...

My family bought me Galaxy Buds some time ago.  Didn't use them... then the pandemic hit and I had to be on the phone alot.  Where were these all my life!  

"Do you drive a early 2000s beater to work, and dont have aux or bluetooth?  Just put these in 1 ear... welcome to 21st century"  

My wife got beats and my kids got the Apple earpods or whatever they call them.  I am sure the appples are functional but... you are paying for branding. 

Anker and JBL appear well reviewed at the lower end.  Personally, these were all somewhat gifts... I don't think bluetooth earbuds should be more than $100.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/6/2023 at 8:46 PM, Fergasun said:

Bosch dishwasher

I ****ing hate my Bosch dishwasher with a burning passion.  It takes 2 and 3/4 hours for a normal cycle and the dishracks have a bizarre configuration that only a German could understand and will absolutely not allow me to just throw pots and pans in it, I have to tetris that **** so it fits just right which is a huge pain in the ass. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I ****ing hate my Bosch dishwasher with a burning passion.  It takes 2 and 3/4 hours for a normal cycle and the dishracks have a bizarre configuration that only a German could understand and will absolutely not allow me to just throw pots and pans in it, I have to tetris that **** so it fits just right which is a huge pain in the ass. 

I replaced our Bosch with a Kitchen Aid and it works like a champ. I hated the Bosch because it didn't have a heating element and relied on the water temp instead.

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I went with Miele and have never had a better one.

Oh, these are great. 

“Hiking” pants or, really, comfy AF pants to do everything on the weekend in. I bought one pair on the recommendation of my buddy who we’ll just call Captain America, then immediately bought 3 more pairs. 

https://www.prana.com/p/brion-pant-ii/1969771.html?dwvar_1969771_color=Black

**currently on sale for like 70% off, im buying 2 more pair

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Thumb up 1