Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

A quick question for you people more in the know,  but with Harris as new owner will we be able to compete with the best for available free agents? Was reading a post by Florio which said with Harris struggling to get the money to buy the team he might not have the funds to buy Big name free-agents.

10 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

A quick question for you people more in the know,  but with Harris as new owner will we be able to compete with the best for available free agents? Was reading a post by Florio which said with Harris struggling to get the money to buy the team he might not have the funds to buy Big name free-agents.

Florio is an idiot.  

There is plenty of money.  

The Harris Group is being smart and not spending cash they don’t have to.

Florio is a rabble rousing, click bating know nothing fake news know nothing Jack hole.

The Harris group will be able to spend any amount of money on FAs they want to.  They’re also going to spend MILLIONS on FedEx rehab and build a new stadium and probably new facilities. 

Don’t listen to fake news Florio.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

The ownership has about 100 billion net worth combined.  Harris in his own internal memo (that got leaked) talked about doing some fast investments in this team.

Florio among a few other stragglers are enjoying running with a narrative that Josh's desire not to put a big down payment translates to him not being willing to spend big money on other things.  But I among others see if if anything as a sign for the opposite.

As Keim said, he talked to one dude in the know that said Rales can buy and sell Dan alone let alone this full ownership group all together.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/22/meet-josh-harris-sixers-owner-revive-commanders

...So to say Harris is dogged and determined to win would be an understatement.

“I consider him to be an animal, in the most positive of ways,” Rubin says. “Josh, he’s unrelenting. He’s going to do things in the right way.”

And in this particular case, his intensity most certainly won’t be ratcheted down.

...It was just that, as a native of Chevy Chase, Md., Harris’s connection to Washington’s NFL franchise carried far heavier weight than anything that pushed him to buy the Devils or the Sixers. So he confided in Silver months ago: This isn’t just about acquiring an NFL team, this is my hometown team, and this is very unique to me, a very unique opportunity to give back to my community, and be part of a team I rooted for when I was growing up.

...Silver knew then that Harris would fight hard to get the team, and then fight even harder to turn its fortunes around, if he could outlast the other bidders on it.

“This is somebody, to the extent that fans lose sleep when their team isn’t successful, I promise this guy is gonna lose more sleep than they do,” Silver said. “He takes it all seriously. I’ve talked to him the morning after tough losses, and one of the first things he’ll say to me is, I hardly slept last night. He’s tossing and turning all the time. Ownership of that team is as personal to him as it is to any hardcore fan. I want to assure [Commanders fans], this is not a professional investor coming in to create a portfolio of sports assets. And this team is very unique to him, in terms of the intensity of his fandom.”

“Look at the 76ers, look at the Devils,” Bettman said. “Josh will do whatever is necessary to ensure the Commanders are a competitive team, fan-focused and fan-friendly. He’ll put together a first-class organization and make whatever investments are necessary. … If I were a Commanders fan, I’d be really excited. Josh is gonna do great things with the franchise.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 7

I'm excited about Harris owning the team. All Snyder wanted to do was suck all the money he could out of the team to support his lifestyle. Everything I've been reading sounds like Harris will do everything he can to build a championship caliber team. He'll need time to get them back on the right course so I hope fans will give him that time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

I'm excited about Harris owning the team. All Snyder wanted to do was suck all the money he could out of the team to support his lifestyle. Everything I've been reading sounds like Harris will do everything he can to build a championship caliber team. He'll need time to get them back on the right course so I hope fans will give him that time.

Part of the difference (apart from personality wise) is Harris is an established billionaire private equity mogul who can afford whatever lifestyle he wants regardless of income from his sports teams.  Snyder didn’t have that luxury, with the caveat we have no idea what happened to the $2 Billion in stock he got when he sold Snyder Communications.  It certainly appears as though either all or the VAST majority of Snyder’s wealth is tied up in the team.  

Whereas the Commanders would probably be Harris’s biggest single investment, but he has revenue coming from a lot of different places.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, RVAskins said:

Why wouldn’t they?  Unlike Dan, Harris has track record with 2 other sports teams.  Even if he and his people decide to tear it down first and rebuild from scratch; fans will give him time. Why? Because they know he will get the best people to do their jobs. Give them time to get the desired results.

27 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Why wouldn’t they?  Unlike Dan, Harris has track record with 2 other sports teams.  Even if he and his people decide to tear it down first and rebuild from scratch; fans will give him time. Why? Because they know he will get the best people to do their jobs. Give them time to get the desired results.

You’re going to go apoplectic when there are no immediate changes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You’re going to go apoplectic when there are no immediate changes.  

Well, considering he likely doesn’t take ownership until  right as the season starts or later in October; all the changes likely not happening until January. Though I still see Jason getting the boot after a couple of months of ownership. 

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Well, considering he likely doesn’t take ownership until  right as the season starts or later in October; all the changes likely not happening until January. Though I still see Jason getting the boot after a couple of months of ownership. 

Well, October - January is a couple of months :P

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, RVAskins said:

I hope so too but it really doesn’t matter. For the folks that just wanted a winner, they’d be disinterested, regardless. The difference now is that eventually Harris and Co. will turn things around on and off the field and then those folks can come back. With Farquaad, the only prospect was for more losing and ever more ick, so  in a way, they were right. Note that I’m not including those I call the Farquaad boycotters, like me, in that group. Either way, the chances of bringing both these fan groups back over the intermediate term are excellent IMO. 

On 5/27/2023 at 7:10 PM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Because all we did so far was stop adding to the dumpster fire.  It's still burning as intensely as it was until Harris makes changes.

I, for one am putting a generous amount of confidence in the idea that Harris will indeed put the elements in place to eventually bring the team back to the glory years of the Gibbs/JKC/Beathard era.

However, if some of his first hires include returns of Bruce Allen and Jeff George, I will be greatly concerned.

6 minutes ago, SonnySideUp said:

However, if some of his first hires include returns of Bruce Allen and Jeff George, I will be greatly concerned.

Jeff George?

That dude is probably closer to the cemetery than he is to being a QB on the Washington Football Team. 

I'm not really pressed what current fans will do if X happens in X time...

We're the dinosaurs here and eventually going to phase out...so it behooves Harris to go out of his way to rebuild our fan base to replace us.  I believe he's going to see and get that from word of immediate investment in the stadium we already have, or we got bigger problems.

It's beyond just wins and losses right now...we're a couple months removed from huge swaths of the fan base being okay with the team moving and either being replaced with an expansion team or area getting carved up between Ravens, Steelers, and Panthers.

Once we get a new stadium the whole situation is going to feel borderline unrecognizable to me compared to what I grew up with...no Redskins, a fn mascot, new owner, no more FeDex Field...it's almost like getting a whole new franchise here.

At some point I'm going to look around and realize I'm a Land Before Time fan and jus be at peace with that...this amount of change was necessary and inevitable.  I'm mentally prepared for being looked at as part of the past while franchise looks to the future...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not really pressed what current fans will do if X happens in X time...

We're the dinosaurs here and eventually going to phase out...so it behooves Harris to go out of his way to rebuild our fan base to replace us.  I believe he's going to see and get that from word of immediate investment in the stadium we already have, or we got bigger problems.

It's beyond just wins and losses right now...we're a couple months removed from huge swaths of the fan base being okay with the team moving and either being replaced with an expansion team or area getting carved up between Ravens, Steelers, and Panthers.

Once we get a new stadium the whole situation is going to feel borderline unrecognizable to me compared to what I grew up with...no Redskins, a fn mascot, new owner, no more FeDex Field...it's almost like getting a whole new franchise here.

At some point I'm going to look around and realize I'm a Land Before Time fan and jus be at peace with that...this amount of change was necessary and inevitable.  I'm mentally prepared for being looked at as part of the past while franchise looks to the future...

Howdy fellow paster.

Of course, he needs to get a new generation of fans or else he won’t get that return for his investment.

28 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Howdy fellow paster.

Of course, he needs to get a new generation of fans or else he won’t get that return for his investment.

Hello back : )

As much as I want to agree with you, the owners make so much off TV revenue that this may be debatable.

Covid 2020 season proved Snyder could have little to no fans in the stadium and still turn a profit.  I'm far more optimistic on Harris then that, I'm jus not buying he needs us to get a return on investment after what we jus went through with Dan, and thus take nothing for granted.

Dan bought the team for $800 million and selling it for close to $6 billion after nearly completely destroying it, that's the harsh reality here.

Edited by Renegade7

They can’t rely on the old fans long term because simply they will die off. Baby Boomers and older generations are dying off. Gen X is probably about 15 years away until we start dying off.

Yeah, immediate term they are probably fine but they need to make Millennials, Gen Z and younger become fans for this franchise to viable long term.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just taking someone who is 40 years old for instance; these people still have memories of at least one, if not two of our Super Bowl appearances, Joe Gibbs, along with about 15 years of us playing our games at RFK.

Playing the odds, these fans still have close to 40 years of football watching still in them. 

I don't think a new stadium that we most likely won't be playing in for another seven, eight, nine years, is going to be something that keeps them around or draws them back in. 

I think it would be a big mistake for Harris & Co. to disregard these fans, the ones that have been with us the longest, in any attempts to rebuild or rejuvenate the fanbase.

10 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

Just taking someone who is 40 years old for instance; these people still have memories of at least one, if not two of our Super Bowl appearances, Joe Gibbs, along with about 15 years of us playing our games at RFK.

Playing the odds, these fans still have close to 40 years of football watching still in them. 

I don't think a new stadium that we most likely won't be playing in for another seven, eight, nine years, is going to be something that keeps them around or draws them back in. 

I think it would be a big mistake for Harris & Co. to disregard these fans, the ones that have been with us the longest, in any attempts to rebuild or rejuvenate the fanbase.

I agree, im 43 and am itching to take my family and create some memories.  My 14 year old son has never been to an NFL game because I've refused to put another dime in the pocket of Snyder. With that changing, im amped to sit in 295 traffic for 6 hours back to Hampton Roads after a victory at FedEx field...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lovemaskins said:

I agree, im 43 and am itching to take my family and create some memories.  My 14 year old son has never been to an NFL game because I've refused to put another dime in the pocket of Snyder. With that changing, im amped to sit in 295 traffic for 6 hours back to Hampton Roads after a victory at FedEx field...

I"m assuming you're talking about the 295 around D.C., not the 295 around Richmond, on your way back to Hampton,  but why would you be on 295 around D,C,  coming from FedEx if you were going to Hampton ?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/sixers/nick-nurse-sixers-head-coach-daryl-morey-nick-nurse-hired-nba?fbclid=IwAR3P6X8Iqy_6jT3QKUwR4fFqTAlpfvXFxtVaC1UCCCQwgzdKblp5VsDYLqE

6ers outbid the Suns to get the coach they wanted. Pretty great hire, too. Harris completely backing his GM and being hyper aggressive to find an edge. 

Good things ahead for this team.

• Like 4