Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Convicted felon Donald Trump on Trial (Found guilty on 34 felony counts. 54 criminal count still in the air)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

11 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Maybe he wasn't getting paid...

I’d bet it’s just another delay tactic. Need more time because of the sudden change in counsel. Need time to bring everyone up to speed.

with Trump everything is a delay. And it’s working. He’s now won the Iowa primary. That puts more pressure on every trial that matters to let elections decide. Being that he’s also promising to be a dictator day one, it might also intimidate people. It’s a damned travesty that he escaped impeachment because he promised to force democrats to fight him in court for every document and every witness. Hes still playing the same damn game. 

what this shows is a weakness in our court system. A design failure successfully exploited again and again 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I’d bet it’s just another delay tactic. Need more time because of the sudden change in counsel. Need time to bring everyone up to speed.

with Trump everything is a delay. And it’s working. He’s now won the Iowa primary. That puts more pressure on every trial that matters to let elections decide. Being that he’s also promising to be a dictator day one, it might also intimidate people. It’s a damned travesty that he escaped impeachment because he promised to force democrats to fight him in court for every document and every witness. Hes still playing the same damn game. 

what this shows is a weakness in our court system. A design failure successfully exploited again and again 

It's not a design failure if his delay tactics aren't dealt with immediately. Every time he appeals, it should be taken up immediately and other cases put aside until his case is decided. Unfortunately, the courts are treating him as an entitled person instead of the criminal he is and as important as these cases are. So I agree with you on this. Plus I have an issue with Garland who didn't appoint a special counsel in February 2021. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Destino said:

He’s now won the Iowa primary. That puts more pressure on every trial that matters to let elections decide.

I guarantee you it doesn't.

Every prosecutor in each of his court cases knew long ago that Trump would be winning primaries well before their trial started, and could even wrap up the Republican nomination before then. They've taken that into account, determined how to deal with it, and then carried on. It's not like the prosecutors and their staff are saying "Oh, crap, he won...now what do we do?"

They've prepared for this as the most likely scenario months ago. So they're not gonna feel more pressure. Trump's supporters may try and apply more pressure, and MAGA idiots on Twitter will try to spin the fact that Trump is winning primaries as proof positive the DOJ is only doing this to interfere with the election--something they've been parroting ad nauseam for a long time already. But from all reports and evidence, each of the prosecutors is basically saying "Who gives a ****"...Republicans in Congress have already tried applying pressure to these trials, Fani Willis told them to go **** themselves in response lol. Leticia James just yawns in response and keeps chugging away. And I'm not sure Jack Smith is capable of feeling any emotion or anything lol...

The places where more pressure could indeed be felt is at the state level for those states still considering leaving him off the ballot. Since it's not a criminal case but just an issue of qualifications, there's more leeway to let the voters just go ahead and decide. And it could give the conservative Supreme Court a cover for ruling in Trump's favor over him being on the ballot, although I doubt it has any effect on their ruling on presidents having absolute immunity.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Glad this came the day after Iowa. Takes the wind out of his sails. It's also a precursor of the DC Court of Appeals to deny presidential immunity. If two different apoeals courts deny immunity, I think the supremes don't take it on appeal.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

2020 Congress impeaches Trump twice.

GOP Senate #1: “Pass. Let the people decide at the voting booth.”

- Trump loses the election.

- Republicans: “The election was stolen!”

GOP Senate #2: “The justice system will vindicate him.”

- Trump loses every court case related to the election and is indicted 90 times.

- Republicans: “Let’s threaten the lawyers prosecuting him.”

- Republicans: “Democrats have weaponized the justice system!”

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Appeals court won’t revisit Twitter’s fight against Trump probe warrant

A federal appeals court won’t reconsider a ruling that allowed special counsel Jack Smith to access private communications from Donald Trump’s Twitter account.

But even as the court declined to revisit the issue on Tuesday, the court’s conservative judges united to scold their liberal colleagues and the lower-court judge who initially decided the case. Those prior rulings, the conservatives said, amounted to a significant, unjustified erosion of executive privilege.

“Judicial disregard of executive privilege undermines the Presidency, not just the former President being investigated in this case,” the judges wrote in an opinion authored by Trump appointee Neomi Rao.

All four Republican-appointed judges on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals extolled the virtues and importance of the president’s right to confidential communications and advice, even though they concluded that the underlying dispute over Smith’s access to Trump’s private Twitter messages was moot.

Last February, as part of Smith’s investigation of Trump’s bid to subvert the 2020 election, prosecutors obtained a voluminous trove of Trump’s Twitter data after secret court proceedings. A district judge ordered the company, now known as X, to turn over the data without informing Trump, and a three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit later upheld that decision.

That precedent, the D.C. Circuit’s Republican-appointed judges worried Tuesday, could lead federal and state prosecutors to invade a sitting president’s privileged materials — without advance notification — by simply accessing the materials via a third party like a social media or phone company.

The four conservatives ultimately agreed with seven Democratic-appointed judges on the court that the earlier decision of the three-judge panel — which upheld a $350,000 contempt fine against Twitter — should not be revisited by the full bench of the appeals court. Indeed, despite the lengthy exposition on the merits of executive privilege, no D.C. Circuit judge even called for a vote on rehearing the case by the full bench.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2

@China

Interesting dissenting "opinion", but it seems like the Constitution never contemplates we would elect a potential criminal as President.  Although, I am surprised to find out that NARA maintains Trump's Twitter account archives (the opinion implies this includes all DMs)? 

So this means it would not be possible for Twitter or Trump to delete the evidence?

9 hours ago, China said:

But even as the court declined to revisit the issue on Tuesday, the court’s conservative judges united to scold their liberal colleagues and the lower-court judge who initially decided the case. Those prior rulings, the conservatives said, amounted to a significant, unjustified erosion of executive privilege.

"We don't really have anything to stand on here. But we're going to act big mad so the folks who pay us to speak and take us on trips will continue to do so."

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Another Ridiculous Motion

Yesterday, the disgraced quadruply-indicted, adjudicated rapist filed a motion to compel discovery in the Southern District of Florida in the Espionage and Obstruction of Justice case brought by Special Counsel Jack Smith.

It was as ridiculous as similar motions to compel discovery filed by his legal team in the conspiracy and obstruction case brought against him in DC, and the racketeering case brought by DA Fani Willis in Fulton County, GA.

I've linked to the full filing below, but wanted to share some of the more incendiary and ridiculous parts with you.

Before we dive in, a motion to compel discovery asks the court to enforce a request for information relevant to a case. They usually ask for specific documents, interviews, transcripts, communications or other relevant items that the defendant knows exist, but have not yet received from the prosecution as part of the discovery process. The materials can be "Brady" materials, which are records that could exculpate - or show the defendant isn't guilty. Or they could be Giglio - which helps the defendant impeach a witness against him. Or they could be Jencks - which are government witness's prior statements that the government must produce to the defense after the government witness's direct examination ends. Finally, it can be anything else needed for the defense. Note here that I said these have to be specific requests.

https://post.news/@/MuellerSheWrote/2b6okIydTam9gIVsNVcHLFV0ppa

• Like 1

Judge rejects Trump request to hold Jack Smith in contempt in election interference case

The judge overseeing the federal election interference case against former President Donald Trump has rejected his request to hold special counsel Jack Smith and his office in contempt.

Earlier this month, attorneys for Trump asked U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan to hold Smith in contempt for filing motions while the case is stayed pending Trump’s appeal on presidential immunity grounds.

Chutkan, however, said in her opinion and order Thursday that she agrees with Trump that Smith’s filings place a "cognizable" burden on him, and that although it was "not a major burden" for Trump's team to have to review Smith's filings, and that she would now forbid the special counsel from making substantive pretrial motions without permission going forward. 

Chutkan has ordered that both parties be required to seek her permission before filing additional pre-trial motions while the stay order remains in effect. 

“This measure is an addition to the Stay Order, aimed to further advance its purposes, and does not reflect a determination that the Government has violated any of its clear and unambiguous terms or acted in bad faith,” she wrote.

Chutkan wrote that continuing to produce discovery was a separate matter, and that she "cannot conclude that merely receiving discovery or an exhibit list constitutes a meaningful burden," because receiving discovery "requires no review or response" from Trump's team.

The trial in the election case is scheduled to begin on March 4, though Chutkan suggested in her order it could be delayed as these legal matters are considered by the courts.

"Contrary to Defendant’s assertion, the court has not and will not set deadlines in this case based on the assumption that he has undertaken preparations when not required to do so," she wrote.

• Like 3

Based on Trump's most recent filing in his documents case, it appears he's generated a new excuse/defense.

Trump lawyers foreshadow potential lines of defense in classified documents case

Lawyers for former President Donald Trump foreshadowed elements of their defense in the criminal case charging him with illegally retaining classified documents, saying in a motion filed Tuesday that they will dispute prosecutors' allegations that the estate where the records were stored was not secure.

The defense team also said in a wide-ranging court filing that they are seeking communication between the Justice Department prosecution team and associates of President Joe Biden in hopes of advancing their claims that the classified documents case is "politically motivated" and designed to harm Trump's 2024 campaign.

The brief, which asks a judge to compel special counsel Jack Smith's team to turn over a trove of information, offers the most expansive view yet of potential lines of defense in one of the four criminal cases Trump faces as he seeks to capture the Republican nomination and reclaim the White House.

It offers a blend of legal analysis and political bombast that has come to be expected in Trump team motions. For instance, it references Trump's record victory this week in the Iowa caucuses and decries the charges as "partisan election interference" — familiar statements from the ex-president's lawyers that seem intended to appeal as much to voters on the campaign trail as to the judge presiding over the case.

Now added to the list:

The Lying Liar's List of Lies
1. There were no boxes at Mar-a-Lago
2. Other people brought those boxes to Mar-a-Lago
3. Archives could have retrieved the boxes anytime they wanted
4. All the documents in the boxes were declassified
5. I was protecting the boxes for the Archives (I bought a padlock)
6. The boxes were planted by the FBI
7. Obama had more boxes
8.The documents should not have been classified in the first place
9. The documents were already returned.
10. They were my documents
11. There was a standing order that any documents I took out of the Oval Office were automatically declassified
12. Mishandled and rushed move by GSA
13. Invented hoax because J6 Committee ratings were dropping
14. Laws against espionage are wrong
15. Documents are protected by Client-attorney Privilege
16. Documents are protected by Executive Privilege
17. Not only were the FBI wrong in taking them - they better give them back
18. The sensitivity of the documents has expired.
19. Like President Nixon said, "if the president does it, then it is not illegal."
20. I don't believe in the classification system
21. It was an assassination plot
22. Charging Trump would cause so much mayhem it would be a monstrous mistake
23. Every President takes classified documents with them when they leave
24. Mark Meadows planted the documents.
25. I couldn't trust National Archives with the documents because they're controlled by Biden and Obama
26. Only a limited number of Mar-a-Lago staff had access to the documents
27. The documents were for a personal memoir.
28. If it was so serious, why did the FBI take so long to search Mar-a-Lago?
29. Not serious because affidavit for warrant didn't mention nuclear secrets.
30. Nothing illegal was happening, it was only about documents.
31. Trump is not stupid enough to have committed such a crime.
32. Liz Cheney went back in time after losing the primary to order the FBI to raid Trump.
33. DoJ was actually looking for Hillary's E-mails.
34. NARA could have simply kept asking for the documents to be returned.
35. The crime of espionage is really quite mundane.
36. It was the FBI who took the documents out of the cartons, dropped them and spread them on carpet.
37. I couldn't trust the Pentagon to store and dispose of these documents so I HAD to keep them.
38. Keeping government documents at Mar-a-Lago is like having overdue library books.
39. The classified documents at Mar-a-Lago were en route to his Presidential Library.
40. The real issue are leaks to the media that Trump had these top secret documents.
41. Government has to prove documents are classified.
42. Cannot talk about declassifying documents because it could be our criminal defense.
43. DoJ has to give the classified documents back because I wrote on them.
44. The documents were mostly newspapers.
45. I can declassify documents just by thinking about it.
46. I'm protected by God as a bastion against the evils of a secular world.
47. George H. Bush hid government docs in a Chinese restaurant in a bowling alley.
48. Hunter Biden.
49. I designated seized Mar-a-Lago documents as personal records
50. They can't charge me because I'm running for President.
51. It's OK because I stole the documents openly and transparently.
52. Law enforcement should focus on murders instead of this.
53. Bill Clinton used to keep tapes in a sock drawer.
54. Biden did it also.
55. Jack Smith may very well turn out to be a criminal.
56. I enjoyed collecting hundreds of folders marked classified as cool keepsakes?
57. I needed the classified folders to block a light on my nightstand that had been keeping me awake late at night.

58. I have a right to take stuff.
59. They had to pay Nixon $18 million when they took back his stuff.
60. Everything I did was right.
61. I'm at least as innocent as Mike Pence.
62. DoJ guilty of corruption and overreach.

63. I have 2 years to go through all the documents I take and return them.

64. I still had a security clearance, and Mar-a-Lago was a temporary SCIF when I was president, so keeping National Defense information in a bathroom was OK.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Another Ridiculous Motion

Yesterday, the disgraced quadruply-indicted, adjudicated rapist filed a motion to compel discovery in the Southern District of Florida in the Espionage and Obstruction of Justice case brought by Special Counsel Jack Smith.

It was as ridiculous as similar motions to compel discovery filed by his legal team in the conspiracy and obstruction case brought against him in DC, and the racketeering case brought by DA Fani Willis in Fulton County, GA.

I've linked to the full filing below, but wanted to share some of the more incendiary and ridiculous parts with you.

Before we dive in, a motion to compel discovery asks the court to enforce a request for information relevant to a case. They usually ask for specific documents, interviews, transcripts, communications or other relevant items that the defendant knows exist, but have not yet received from the prosecution as part of the discovery process. The materials can be "Brady" materials, which are records that could exculpate - or show the defendant isn't guilty. Or they could be Giglio - which helps the defendant impeach a witness against him. Or they could be Jencks - which are government witness's prior statements that the government must produce to the defense after the government witness's direct examination ends. Finally, it can be anything else needed for the defense. Note here that I said these have to be specific requests.

https://post.news/@/MuellerSheWrote/2b6okIydTam9gIVsNVcHLFV0ppa

Aren't there any sort of repercussions for filing blatantly bad faith motions that are clearly meant to do nothing but obstruct and delay a case? 

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Aren't there any sort of repercussions for filing blatantly bad faith motions that are clearly meant to do nothing but obstruct and delay a case? 

8 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

The judges in DC, NY, and GA might. The one in FL is Trump's judge as she's shown numerous times. I'm still waiting for Jack Smith to go to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals to kick Cannon off the case.

She's right, it's up to the judge, and Judge Cannon is on his side.  Jack Smith won't go to the 11th Circuit until she makes a particularly egregious and legally incorrect ruling that is appealable.  As soon as she slips up in such a manner, I would expect them to go and try and get her removed.  But they don't want to go prematurely with a weak rationale.

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

It's trivial in the small scheme, but this is bigger...if they waste enough money and time, I'm fairly sure that an additional monetary fine could be imposed by the judge ?

1 hour ago, China said:

She's right, it's up to the judge, and Judge Cannon is on his side.  Jack Smith won't go to the 11th Circuit until she makes a particularly egregious and legally incorrect ruling that is appealable.  As soon as she slips up in such a manner, I would expect them to go and try and get her removed.  But they don't want to go prematurely with a weak rationale.

Yeah that's my feeling on Cannon as well. Smith and his people know very well that she's a 100% bona fide MAGA through and through, but they'll wait until they have pretty ironclad evidence that she can't be an impartial judge in the case before taking it to the 11th Circuit.

• Thumb up 1

Federal prosecutors asked a judge Thursday to sentence former White House trade adviser Peter Navarro to six months behind bars for contempt of Congress, saying he put allegiance to former president Donald Trump over the rule of law in refusing to cooperate with a House committee probing the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack.

Navarro, 74, was found guilty in September of two contempt charges for refusing to produce documents or testify after receiving a House subpoena in February 2022. A former trade and pandemic adviser who served throughout Trump’s term in office, Navarro claimed credit for hatching a scheme with longtime Trump political adviser Stephen K. Bannon to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential race.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/01/19/navarro-sentencing-recommendation-contempt/

• Like 1