Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump on Trial (Trump indicted for a fourth time in Georgia. Expands his record of most indictments by a former president)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

I’m way less concerns about him winning from prison. Probably just the risk assessment in me - but just because something’s possible doesn’t mean it’s likely. 

I’m incredibly skeptical someone can wage a legitimate campaign and compete from prison. I’m not going to list all the reasons why but here’s a really easy one to understand - they’ll never be able to be on the ground meeting voters and holding rallies. 

im also skeptical he’ll be imprisoned before the election. I realize he probably should be, but I also understand things can drag out forever when it gets to trials and such and it’s impossible to predict what will happen and how long it will take. 

that said the judge assigned to the DC trial appears to be the type that would set quite a high bar for things to justify any sort of significant delay along the way. But that’s a total guess. 

And as I’ve said multiple times through out all of this - the dc trial is the one that matters. The rest are just noise in the grand scheme of things. 

2 hours ago, tshile said:

I’m way less concerns about him winning from prison. Probably just the risk assessment in me - but just because something’s possible doesn’t mean it’s likely. 

I’m incredibly skeptical someone can wage a legitimate campaign and compete from prison. I’m not going to list all the reasons why but here’s a really easy one to understand - they’ll never be able to be on the ground meeting voters and holding rallies. 

im also skeptical he’ll be imprisoned before the election. I realize he probably should be, but I also understand things can drag out forever when it gets to trials and such and it’s impossible to predict what will happen and how long it will take. 

that said the judge assigned to the DC trial appears to be the type that would set quite a high bar for things to justify any sort of significant delay along the way. But that’s a total guess. 

And as I’ve said multiple times through out all of this - the dc trial is the one that matters. The rest are just noise in the grand scheme of things. 

Yeah, even if he's convicted, I imagine he will be allowed to remain free pending appeal, much like Bannon is now.

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Time for Jack Smith to request her recusal and if she doesn't, her removal. Assign a judge in Miami. Better courthouse for cameras.

Yeah, it's incredibly clear that Cannon is mostly out of her depth in a lot of cases in general. With a case as complex and important as this, she's so far out of her league that she might as well be on another planet.

It's not just that she's clearly a biased diehard MAGA, but she also seems to be a pretty incompetent and inexperienced judge overall.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

The clown car is still poling in the high 40's...the wheels aren't even flat, much less coming off.  The guy is gonna get convicted and still be a threat to get elected.  I mean its nice to see the justice system "working", but lets not overestimate the idea that a conviction will be anything other than a minor speed bump.

I don't know why these charges didn't happen in 2021. It's ridiculous how slowly this has moved. Unbelievable.

MSNBC Panel Stunned by Trump Lawyer’s ‘Admission’ on Fox News

An MSNBC panel was shocked by a pair of television interviews Thursday where Donald Trump lawyer John Lauro seemed to confirm an allegation contained within the Jan. 6-related indictment of the former president.

Lauro had told Fox News host Laura Ingraham earlier in the evening that, leading up to Jan. 6, Trump voiced his approval for Pence to send the election back to the states rather than have the Electoral College vote be certified.

“What President Trump said is, ‘Let’s go with option D,'” Lauro said on The Ingraham Angle. “Let’s just halt, let’s just pause the voting and allow the state legislatures to take one last look and make a determination as to whether or not the elections were handled fairly. That’s constitutional law. That’s not an issue of criminal activity.”

Lauro said basically the same thing on Newsmax a bit later.

MSNBC anchor Lawrence O’Donnell was surprised at the revelation.

“That is a Trump criminal defense lawyer quoting Donald Trump committing a crime,” he said. “Donald Trump’s criminal defense lawyer tonight added information to Jack Smith’s 42-page description of Donald Trump’s crimes. The conversation that John Lauro just described appears on page 34 of the indictment against his client.”

MSNBC contributor and former Department of Justice lawyer Andrew Weissman considered Lauro’s statements to be “an admission,” as he wrote in a tweet.

“So, I don’t know why a defense lawyer is going to start giving facts about a critical moment,” he said on air, prompting O’Donnell to exclaim: “It’s the whole case!”

Weissman added: “It is such a damning thing when you put it in context because remember what the indictment alleges…[that] the reason this had to be done with the vice president is because prior to that, all the efforts that Donald Trump took with respect to the secretaries of state did not work.”

“I just don’t know why John, who is a good lawyer, didn’t just zip it and not say anything,” he continued.

“They don’t teach TV in law school,” O’Donnell quipped.

Former federal prosecutor Glenn Kirschner, also an MSNBC contributor, was stunned as well, saying bluntly, “It makes no sense.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 5

I feel like 65% of adults thinking this is serious is a win…

it should’ve be. But it is. 

29 minutes ago, Switchgear said:

I don't know why these charges didn't happen in 2021. It's ridiculous how slowly this has moved. Unbelievable.

Well. Maybe when you watch the trial you’ll get it. 

I’m also willing to bet - we’ll see additional indictments added to this case. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Newly Revealed Text Messages Show GOP Officials At Ground Zero Of Election Conspiracy Outlined By Trump Indictment

Special counsel Jack Smith’s indictment of former President Donald Trump details a sweeping criminal conspiracy to reverse his loss in the 2020 election. Smith described a marked shift away from legitimate election challenges toward a strategy in which the President and those close to him used “knowing deceit in the targeted states to impair, obstruct, and defeat the federal government function.” And Smith identified one day as the key turning point when the plot veered from political gamesmanship into deliberate falsehoods: November 13, 2020. 

Text messages obtained by Talking Points Memo — most which have not previously been made public — paint a picture of what was going on behind the scenes in the White House during the crucial period the special prosecutor has zeroed in on. In particular, they reveal that Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel and former Arizona Republican Party Chairwoman Kelli Ward were among those who played key roles in elements of the alleged conspiracy from the moment Smith said it began.

Smith’s investigation into Trump’s efforts to overturn the election, which culminated in the Jan. 6 attack, was preceded by a House select committee probe focused on the violence at the Capitol. Former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows provided 2,319 of his text messages to the House committee. TPM obtained those messages from multiple sources and published the most newsworthy communications as part of a series that showed how members of the Trump administration worked with far-right activists, Republican officials, and lawmakers at every level of government on the plot. The introduction to “The Meadows Texts” series includes further details the origin of the messages — which are likely only a partial record of Meadows’ communications — and our procedures for verifying and publishing them. 

Some of Meadows’ texts add vital context to Smith’s indictment and expose how McDaniel and Ward played a role in elements of the alleged conspiracy.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

We will see who is serious now I guess. 

It's too vague...I would expect at most for the judge to possibly amend her conditions of his release. But she had said one condition was for him to not try and contact or intimidate potential witnesses. And it's not exactly a slam-dunk that's what he was trying to do there.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

4 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

It's too vague...I would expect at most for the judge to possibly amend her conditions of his release. But she had said one condition was for him to not try and contact or intimidate potential witnesses. And it's not exactly a slam-dunk that's what he was trying to do there.

It's certainly directed at prosecutors because they are the only ones who are paneling grand juries for indictment. To broaden it, it could be the whole whole court except his attorneys and staff. 

If it was me, I'd haul his ass into court and impose a comprehensive gag order about anything trial related, and tell him he already had his one admonition and the next time it's jail time. I really wouldn't play games with this guy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, it's incredibly clear that Cannon is mostly out of her depth in a lot of cases in general. With a case as complex and important as this, she's so far out of her league that she might as well be on another planet.

It's not just that she's clearly a biased diehard MAGA, but she also seems to be a pretty incompetent and inexperienced judge overall.

It's almost as if there's a correlation between the two.

2 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

If it was me, I'd haul his ass into court and impose a comprehensive gag order about anything trial related, and tell him he already had his one admonition and the next time it's jail time. I really wouldn't play games with this guy. 

If it was up to me, I'd say that he violated his condition of release and haul him into jail until trial.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

It's certainly directed at prosecutors because they are the only ones who are paneling grand juries for indictment. To broaden it, it could be the whole whole court except his attorneys and staff. 

It's too vague to be clear it's aimed at anyone specific...could easily claim it's aimed towards his political opponents or the "deep state". Judges don't just act on "Well, come on, we know what he meant", which is why I said I could see the judge amending the conditions for being released. Plus I'm not sure the judge said anything about prosecutors, only witnesses (but I may have missed something there).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/3/2023 at 5:05 PM, China said:

Empty threat.  I'll believe it when Trump ends up behind bars.

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

We will see who is serious now I guess. 

giphy.gif

Our justice system is toothless and weak when it comes to Trump.  They are unwittingly enabling and emboldening him.  Sickening.