Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Convicted felon Donald Trump on Trial (Found guilty on 34 felony counts. 54 criminal count still in the air)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

Florida hearing in Trump classified documents case devolves into shouting match

During a marathon day of proceedings in the Mar-a-Lago classified documents case, a morning hearing in front of Judge Aileen Cannon devolved into a shouting match amongst the attorneys, and the afternoon series of arguments prompted the judge to wonder if the legal nuances of the case may be too difficult for jurors to understand.

The heated arguments played out in a morning proceeding in Fort Pierce, Florida, that had been scheduled for Walt Nauta, one of former President Donald Trump’s co-defendants, to present arguments that special counsel Jack Smith’s team had selectively and vindictively brought charges against him.

But the hearing quickly diverted into a longstanding disagreement over an August 2022 meeting between prosecutor Jay Bratt and Nauta’s defense attorney, Stanley Woodward. Woodward has claimed in court proceedings and filings that Bratt attempted to pressure him into convincing Nauta to cooperate against Trump by threatening to affect a potential judgeship nomination. Cannon did not issue a ruling from the bench on Nauta’s motion that the case be dismissed on those grounds.

Nor did Cannon rule on a motion she heard during an afternoon session Wednesday, brought by all three of the case’s defendants, who claimed that the indictment suffers technical flaws that required the dismissal of the charges.

Cannon seemed skeptical of those arguments, while also expressing concern about a jury’s ability to understand legal nuances in the case at a future trial.

“Real people have to decide these issues,” Cannon said.

Nauta claims that he was criminally charged in the case as retaliation for declining to cooperate with the Justice Department’s investigation into the former president’s retention of classified documents at his estate.

“I had been recommended for a judgeship, that’s beyond dispute,” Woodward said Wednesday. “There was a folder about defense counsel on the table” during that meeting, he said, claiming Bratt referenced that judgeship recommendation.

“I think the implication was that I was to travel and convince Mr. Nauta to cooperate with the investigation, and if I didn’t that, there would be consequences,” Woodward said.

Prosecutor David Harbach then rose and accused Woodward of engaging in “procedural gamesmanship” by making a “garbage argument” about the meeting.

“Mr. Woodward’s story of what happened at that meeting is a fantasy,” Harbach shouted, banging his hand on the lectern in front of him. “It did not happen.”

Click on the link for the full article

3 hours ago, China said:

Jack Smith still needs to file a motion to have Judge Cannon recused.

Why?  As far as I know, everyone assumes Trump can shut down the special counsel.  This is wrong.  This case is going to move forward, regardless of Cannon or Trump.  If Trump wins the election, there will for sure be more lawsuits filed by SC Smith to keep it moving forward.  Granted, it will expose the Supreme Court more as frauds, because they will shut down the investigation. 

The rule of law itself is at risk.  Many people probably think that is a fig leaf.  There will be 2 or more Supreme Court cases.

The Special Counsel may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General. The Attorney General may remove a Special Counsel for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies. The Attorney General shall inform the Special Counsel in writing of the specific reason for his or her removal.

Speaking of Supreme Court, where is the immunity ruling?

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

The rule of law itself is at risk.  Many people probably think that is a fig leaf.  There will be 2 or more Supreme Court cases.

My gut tells me they’ll delay the ruling until after the election.

Because their ruling depends on who wins the election.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Why?  As far as I know, everyone assumes Trump can shut down the special counsel.  This is wrong.  This case is going to move forward, regardless of Cannon or Trump.  If Trump wins the election, there will for sure be more lawsuits filed by SC Smith to keep it moving forward.  Granted, it will expose the Supreme Court more as frauds, because they will shut down the investigation. 

All Trump or his AG Puppet has to do is fire Smith and case over. That’s exactly what will happen.

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

My gut tells me they’ll delay the ruling until after the election.

Because their ruling depends on who wins the election.

The ruling will come next month, before they leave for the term. It's unlikely to be later than that. They either get it right or even more independents and used to be Republicans will vote Blue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

All Trump or his AG Puppet has to do is fire Smith and case over. That’s exactly what will happen.

That's not what the law says.  He needs to be fired for cause. Why wasn't Mueller fired?  That is now how the Special Counsel law works.

He also gets judicial review and could be reinstated. Trump is gonna waste all his time fighting the special counsel, if re-elected.

They gonna pull up Bush v. Gore (which specifically stated that it cannot be used as precedent) and declare that its too late to rule on the case, because of a deadline that isn't actually a deadline?  

7 hours ago, Fergasun said:

That's not what the law says.  He needs to be fired for cause. Why wasn't Mueller fired?  That is now how the Special Counsel law works.

He also gets judicial review and could be reinstated. Trump is gonna waste all his time fighting the special counsel, if re-elected.

The AG will end it.

31 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The AG will end it.

I understand what you believe.  But this is all an echo (but worst) to the "Saturday Night Massacre".  The GOP is pretty delusional about the Constitutional crisis and more that will entangle a second Trump term.  For one, it's really unclear what happens to a President-elect with active Federal trials.  It's likely that Smith would file motions to prevent the type of f&*keration being signalled (Marbury vs. Madison).  While the Supreme Court could argue the trials put on hold, there is a rule of law case that the trials be allowed to continue.  Probably, we know what SCOTUS would say, but it's gonna go through the legal process.   Will further shred this SCOTUS credibility.  There are also active cases that get brought up that were mooted.  

There's literally no political benefit to a Trump 2nd term.  His cult is gonna act like a W... but it will be a huge L.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 1:48 PM, Fergasun said:

Getting rid of Cannon has nothing to do with shutting down the special counsel.  It has everything to do with the fact that Cannon has shown herself to be both incredibly biased and incredibly incompetent.  Since the DOJ is pursing this case for us (i.e., on behalf of the American people), we deserve swift and fair justice be served.  Currently we are getting neither.

The Supreme Court session ends at the end of June, which is why everyone is expecting their ruling on immunity then.  Since they are deliberately helping Trump with their delay (they could've taken up the issue when the Special Counsel requested they do so before the Appeals Court ruled) they will undoubtedly wait until the last minute.  There is always the possibility that they will do the unprecedented and hold over their ruling until the next term.  Nothing would surprise me with these biased and unethical justices. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

What happens if Trump is convicted in New York? No one can really say https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-happens-if-trump-is-convicted-in-new-york-trial/

"He is a candidate for the presidency of the United States. So, those First Amendment rights are critically important, obviously," Merchan said that day.

And on May 6, he opined more broadly on the additional people who would be burdened by jailing Trump.

Merchan called incarceration "truly a last resort for me," saying, "I also worry about the people who would have to execute that sanction: the court officers, the correction officers, the Secret Service detail, among others."

35 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

What happens if Trump is convicted in New York? No one can really say https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-happens-if-trump-is-convicted-in-new-york-trial/

"He is a candidate for the presidency of the United States. So, those First Amendment rights are critically important, obviously," Merchan said that day.

And on May 6, he opined more broadly on the additional people who would be burdened by jailing Trump.

Merchan called incarceration "truly a last resort for me," saying, "I also worry about the people who would have to execute that sanction: the court officers, the correction officers, the Secret Service detail, among others."

This reads as if the headline talks about if Trump is found guilty in the fraud/election interference case, but quotes Merchan as he talks about Trump defying the gag order. Two different things.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

This reads as if the headline talks about if Trump is found guilty in the fraud/election interference case, but quotes Merchan as he talks about Trump defying the gag order. Two different things.

Slightly.  But if it were anybody else constantly defying gag-orders and intimidating witnesses, they'd be in jail.

• Thumb up 2

50 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

What happens if Trump is convicted in New York?

I'm not really sure, if he's convicted on these charges, if jail is justice.  

He's accused of paying somebody to keep quiet about cheating on his wife.  And of using a fraudulent way to try to hide the money trail.  

And I'm pretty sure that all of those actions happened before he took office.  

Frankly, I'd jail him for violating the gag order before I'd jail him on these charges.  But covering up his money trail?  Or cheating on his taxes?  

-----

Now, things like the Jan 6 charges?  The Georgia and election conspiracy?  The classified documents cases?  

Those, I want him in Leavenworth.  Or Supermax.  Those were organized criminal conspiracies, carried out by people who had sworn an oath to the Constitution.  Using their government-granted powers to commit criminal conspiracy.  

• Like 1